HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Nazem Kadri vs Jakob Silfverberg

View Poll Results: Who is the better prospect?
kadri 72 31.72%
Silfverberg 155 68.28%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 11:10 AM
johnnyutah

vCash: 500
Nazem Kadri vs Jakob Silfverberg

I figured now that they are both finally playing in the same league would be a good time to re-open the debate between these two prospects. Both Drafted in 2009. Early on kadri was widely considered the better prospect, recently the silfver bullet passed him in most ppl's eyes due to his recent accomplishments in the sel. Who's gonna be the better player?

Old
11-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Safer pick is Jakob hands down. Potential wise the better player would be Kadri. Skill term Kadri still is better.

11-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Silfverberg because he's not a Leaf.

Anticipated responses aside.. Silfverberg.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Scarecrow Boat

I went with Kadri. Simple reasons really, I haven't seen Silfverberg as much and when I have he hasn't been that impressive. His numbers in Europe were great but that's about all I've seen from him that impress me.

Kadri's still one of those annoying players to watch, you can tell he has a ton of skill but he just doesn't seem to know how to use it. He's selfish when he should be unselfish and unselfish when he should be selfish, he just can't seem to pick his spots.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
I went with Kadri. Simple reasons really, I haven't seen Silfverberg as much and when I have he hasn't been that impressive. His numbers in Europe were great but that's about all I've seen from him that impress me.

Kadri's still one of those annoying players to watch, you can tell he has a ton of skill but he just doesn't seem to know how to use it. He's selfish when he should be unselfish and unselfish when he should be selfish, he just can't seem to pick his spots.
The last two years toiling in the AHL has actually helped him minimize that quite a bit. I know he has been one of the best if not the best forward for most of the Marlies' game. He's getting there as the Leaf fans have hoped for, his defense is up as well which was the biggest concern IMO. Won't be too long if he keeps it up.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Fogelhund

Kadri 16 points in 17 games. Silfverberg 9 points in 16 games.

Kadri 13 points in the last 8 games, Silfverberg 5 points in the last 8 games.

Small sample set, but for now I'd still keep Kadri as a Leafs prospect. I suspect that those who like the Leafs will say the same, and those who don't like the Leafs will choose the opposite.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post

With only having played 18 games in NA, you may have to wait as he is still adapting to the ice and style of play.

That said, I'd call this one a push, as Kadri is often underrated as a prospect.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Hynh

Before the season I probably would have said Silfverberg without hesitation but now I think it is closer. Probably still Silfverberg but the gap has narrowed a bit.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Kid Canesten

personally as a sens fan, id keep silfverberg only because of his skill set. while he doesnt have the offensive prowess kadri possesses, his defensive capabilities and leadership makes up for it.

and im not dissing kadri in anyway. he's a leaf prospect so he will get his hate, but he went from being overrated to underrated quickly. he might not have made an impact in the NHL like other 09 picks yet, but he's been putting up some quality numbers in the A.

in all, silf is a safer bet.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Leafs03

So let me get this straight. People say Schults is better than Gardiner because Schults has way more points but than people on here say Silfverberg is better than Kadri when Kadri has way more points than him... If your a leafs player, get ready to be hated on for no reason... thats HF for you..

Old
11-26-2012, 01:17 PM
HarveySpecter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
So let me get this straight. People say Schults is better than Gardiner because Schults has way more points but than people on here say Silfverberg is better than Kadri when Kadri has way more points than him... If your a leafs player, get ready to be hated on for no reason... thats HF for you..
It's not all about points.. wait for Silfverberg to get more adapted to the NA style of play and I think he will be a more effective player out on the ice than Kadri.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canesten View Post
personally as a sens fan, id keep silfverberg only because of his skill set. while he doesnt have the offensive prowess kadri possesses, his defensive capabilities and leadership makes up for it.

and im not dissing kadri in anyway. he's a leaf prospect so he will get his hate, but he went from being overrated to underrated quickly. he might not have made an impact in the NHL like other 09 picks yet, but he's been putting up some quality numbers in the A.

in all, silf is a safer bet.
He plays wing, and is not a defensive stud. Citing defensive prowess as a reason to pick him over a player who is grossly outproducing him offensively is a joke.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:25 PM
TieClark

I see them as pretty similar at this point with Kadri having more upside and being younger so I'd say Kadri.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangibles View Post
It's not all about points.. wait for Silfverberg to get more adapted to the NA style of play and I think he will be a more effective player out on the ice than Kadri.
You might be right... or not. As I said previously, it comes down to whether you are a Leafs fan, or not for the most part. Everybody likes their prospects better, and there is no shame in that.

To date, neither of them are regulars in the NHL, and while I'm satisfied with Kadri's last eight games in the AHL, and his progress... The Leafs didn't draft him to have success in the AHL, and the Senators didn't draft Silfverberg to be good in the minors either.

Both fan bases will keep what they've got for now, and maybe in a few years we'll know who had more success in the NHL.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
Silfverberg in the past 3 games >>>>>>>>>>>>> Silfverberg in his first several weeks in NA. He's pretty much been a different player lately and looks much more like the player that was in the SEL last year. He had 0 points in a 6-1 game the other night but I think it was clear he was the teams best player.

There are other variables to take into account. Gripe on.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
He plays wing, and is not a defensive stud. Citing defensive prowess as a reason to pick him over a player who is grossly outproducing him offensively is a joke.
Remember, these are Silfverberg's first games on North American ice. Most prospects do take some time to adapt to the new ice and playing style.

I'd take Silfverberg. His shot is insane. Go watch any videos and see that. His release is incredible. He's also won something in his career, which Kadri has yet to do. He captained a team in the SEL at the age of 21, set the playoff goal record, won MVP of the regular season and the playoffs.

Kadri will probably get more votes in the poll because he's a top ten pick against a second rounder. But I'd really take Silfverberg. I've seen both play and I like what Silfverberg brings to the table a lot more than Kadri.

In the AHL, they've had one matchup. Binghamton won the game and Silfverberg got 1+1, compared to Kadri's 0+1.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Pilgore88

Using 18 games to compare two completely different players is not really fair.

Silf ia a two-way forward, and is just getting used to NA game.

Kadri is a flashy offensive player with grit, who was off to a horrible start, and has turned it into overdrive the last 2 weeks.

The answers would be completely different had this been asked 2 weeks ago, and could change again in 2 weeks.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:37 PM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
He may not be a "defensive stud", but in my opinion his defensive awareness is ahead of Kadri and merits some consideration.

In his short stint with Ottawa, and his time with Binghamton, Silfverberg has made some great defensive plays, makes few mistakes in his own zone, plays the penalty kill, and for a "trigger man" shows a knack for puck possession.

I made my vote for who I feel is more valuable to a team, however biased in might be. Kadri is great, and you want him on the ice for the last minute if you're trailing. However, whether Silfverberg is an NHL star, an AHL journeyman, or goes back to Sweden, his coach will likely have him on the ice whether leading, trailing, or tied.

If both players hit their respective ceilings (1st line NHLers), Kadri will likely be outproducing Silfverberg at that level. On the other hand, I'd bet that Silfverberg would be logging more minutes, defensive zone starts, PK-time, etc.

tldr; Silfverberg not defensive stud, but still merits consideration.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:43 PM
leftwinghockey

Kadri by a hair

both are still big, big question marks to make an impact on the NHL

Old
11-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Kadri, even though I like Silfverberg more.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Exit Dose

Too early to call.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:13 PM
sg58

Production comparisons might be a bit scewed given that one has been playing in North America his entire career and is a third-year AHLer and one is not even a third-month AHLer.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:44 PM
tony d
The franchise

Silfverberg

11-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Both are overrated IMO.
I'm unsure who to pick