Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 12:00 PM
KevFist
is best pony

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom18 View Post
I agree with you on Will Power. My feeling on him is that once he gets a win on an oval (his Texas 2011 race 2 win aside), that he'll break through and finally get his title. Right now, he's my pick for Indy. I can't see Team Penske having problems at Indy again this year.

I'd love to see Dixon get another Indy win, though it'd be really cool to see another 4-time winner.

I can understand Dinger's reasoning for going to Cup, consider how much of a mess open wheel was at that time. While I was angry at first, you can't really fault him for chasing not only the $$$ amount and for some type of stability. It didn't seem right him being behind the wheel of a Cup car. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he does behind the wheel of an IndyCar. I'd love to see him in IndyCar fulltime.

Kev, has there been any more rumors of any additions to the driver lineup this year? Or is everything pretty much set at this time?
One thing Dinger mentioned at Media Day was he knew he wasn't prepared to get into a Cup car when he went to Red Bull Racing. He just didn't wanna get hung out to dry like so many people did in the merger. Plus, he knew Gerry Forsythe would sooner run head first into a brick wall than go to the IRL. I'll be very surprised if his two races doesn't turn into more after Indy.

Nope, no more rumors about additions, aside from talk of getting to 33 at Indy. Here's how things look to start the season..

Penske--Power, Castroneves (Allmendinger pt)
Target Ganassi--Franchitti, Dixon
G2--Kimball
Andretti--Hunter-Reay, Andretti, Viso, Hinchcliffe (Munoz pt)
KV--Kanaan, de Silvestro
Schmidt--Pagenaud, Vautier
Dragon--Bourdais, Saavedra
Coyne--J. Wilson, Beatriz (S. Wilson pt)
Rahal--Rahal, Jakes (Conway pt)
Panther--Hildebrand
PanDRR--Servia
Herta--Tagliani
Fisher--Newgarden (Clauson PT)
Carpenter--Carpenter
Foyt--Sato

So we roughly have 25 cars starting the season at St. Pete. we need to add 8 rides to fill the field at Indy....well, go ahead and slot in Allmendinger and Munoz for indy since those have been announced. that leaves 6 more slots. I expect Sarah Fisher to announce Brian Clauson for the 500, so now we're down to 5. Now we're down to who has the capability to field extra cars....
Ganassi--1
Schmidt--1
Carpenter--1
Panther--1
Foyt--1
Rahal--1

And then you have to look at available drivers to fill those seats...
T Scheck
townsend Bell
Alex Lloyd
Bruno Junquiera
Buddy Rice
Wade Cunningham
Conor Daly
Pippa Mann

"I do my best work while chock full of whiskey & cheese"
--Beef Invictus
Old
03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Boring would be an improvement for Marco. The guy has a pissed off attitude any time he's interviewed. His schtick has grown way too old.

Dario owes TK an Indy win before he thinks about getting #4.

Sure would love to see Hornish back but I understand his wife put her foot down about that a few years ago didn't she?
Yep. Mrs. hornish says no way. same for Jimmie Johnson's wife. he despirately wants to do the 500

Old
03-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Eddie Shack
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFist View Post
Yep. Mrs. hornish says no way. same for Jimmie Johnson's wife. he despirately wants to do the 500
That would certainly liven up the old brickyard to get 5-time out there on Memorial day.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:19 PM
OKHoosier41218

Quote:
One thing Dinger mentioned at Media Day was he knew he wasn't prepared to get into a Cup car when he went to Red Bull Racing. He just didn't wanna get hung out to dry like so many people did in the merger. Plus, he knew Gerry Forsythe would sooner run head first into a brick wall than go to the IRL. I'll be very surprised if his two races doesn't turn into more after Indy.

IIRC, I think he failed to qualify for the first 7-8 races his first year in Cup. Its really too bad Gerry couldn't have swallowed his pride and joined up after the merger. I always loved his cars. I am happy to hear that this may turn into something more long term with AJ, he never seemed to fit NASCAR.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:41 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:

Nope, no more rumors about additions, aside from talk of getting to 33 at Indy. Here's how things look to start the season..

Penske--Power, Castroneves (Allmendinger pt)
Target Ganassi--Franchitti, Dixon
G2--Kimball
Andretti--Hunter-Reay, Andretti, Viso, Hinchcliffe (Munoz pt)
KV--Kanaan, de Silvestro
Schmidt--Pagenaud, Vautier
Dragon--Bourdais, Saavedra
Coyne--J. Wilson, Beatriz (S. Wilson pt)
Rahal--Rahal, Jakes (Conway pt)
Panther--Hildebrand
PanDRR--Servia
Herta--Tagliani
Fisher--Newgarden (Clauson PT)
Carpenter--Carpenter
Foyt--Sato

So we roughly have 25 cars starting the season at St. Pete. we need to add 8 rides to fill the field at Indy....well, go ahead and slot in Allmendinger and Munoz for indy since those have been announced. that leaves 6 more slots. I expect Sarah Fisher to announce Brian Clauson for the 500, so now we're down to 5. Now we're down to who has the capability to field extra cars....
Ganassi--1
Schmidt--1
Carpenter--1
Panther--1
Foyt--1
Rahal--1

And then you have to look at available drivers to fill those seats...
T Scheck
townsend Bell
Alex Lloyd
Bruno Junquiera
Buddy Rice
Wade Cunningham
Conor Daly
Pippa Mann
Depends on how many races Finch wants to do w/ AJ, Kev, will determine how many IRL Races past the 3 announced, (AJ's already run 2 for Finch to date).

Old
03-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Eddie Shack
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Depends on how many races Finch wants to do w/ AJ, Kev, will determine how many IRL Races past the 3 announced, (AJ's already run 2 for Finch to date).
Not true Hutch. AJs IndyCar schedule will determine how available he is for Finch.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...enske/1972945/

Quote:
Allmendinger said his NASCAR duties wouldn't be affected yet by his IndyCar schedule. After missing this weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, he will be racing at Bristol Motor Speedway and Auto Club Speedway the following two weekends with James Finch's Phoenix Racing.

"James Finch and Roger are close friends and they have been discussing this process," he said. "So it doesn't change anything. It just adds to the things that I was already planning on. With James, I just kind of left it open. I told him, I'll drive his race car whenever I can and whenever he wants me to, and if that conflicts with an IndyCar race, then obviously I can't do it."

If the Penske ride materializes into a full-time schedule, though, Allmendinger probably would stop moonlighting in NASCAR on off weekends.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:24 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Speaking of St. Pete.....

a permanent monolith will be constructed 50 yards from the famed Dan Wheldon Way sign aka Turn 10 of the St. Pete facility.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:08 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Speaking of St. Pete.....

a permanent monolith will be constructed 50 yards from the famed Dan Wheldon Way sign aka Turn 10 of the St. Pete facility.
It looks pretty sweet too. Entirely appropriate since St. Pete was Dan's adopted hometown. I also noticed they decided to go with Dan in the William Rast/Aigo/Curb-Agajanian gear. 'Course the joke we all had with Dan after he won the 500 in 2011 is he's the first person to be on the Borg-Warner with two different sets of teeth..

I frickin miss Dan....So happy to be able to call him friend.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Brock Anton
panthers #badnwagon

Really happy to see Hinch get his first win.

Fantastic drives today by Marco, Dixon, Simona and Vautier also. LOL Dario.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:59 PM
OKHoosier41218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post

Fantastic drives today by Marco, Dixon, Simona and Vautier also.
My thoughts exactly. The overall race turned out much better than it seemed like it was going to there for awhile. Too bad Simona couldn't get on the podium. I just realized that Will didn't finish in the top-10...

Old
03-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:

Second this. Hinchcliffe is my favorite IndyCar driver, nice to see him doing well...

Old
03-24-2013, 08:02 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
simona is my sweet-heart.
last season when they raced in baltimore, i was an usher and got all kinds of perks for doing it.
i went to the course and knew it was her birthday......so i stopped at a local store and bought her a yellow silk rose.
when i went into her garage area, i guess she felt the lazer beams coming out of my eyes, and turned and looked at me. i offered her the silly rose and she took it.........AND GAVE ME A KISS ON THE CHEEK!!!!!!!
( how many of you have ever been kissed by a pretty girl that drives a race car? )

Old
03-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Eddie Shack
Go Ducks!

Happy for the mayor. Loved Simona's run, hope she runs like that all year. She could do for IndyCar everything Danica never did. IndyCar has some great drivers coming up and some great vets. It almost reminds me of the good old days pre-split. I'm getting giddy.

I hope GoDaddy figures out where they need to be spending their racing money going forward.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:42 PM
AintLifeGrand
Crunchy Jamz Brah

The race yesterday gave me a 1990s Cartish vibe also. As soon as they execute some of Mark Miles' deliverables such as opening the chassis up for outside development, increased hp, better marketing , and new Indycar leadership(maybe led by Zak Brown?), we will be ready to hit 90s levels of popularity.

If Indycar can produce a product that allows additional aero kits/development, 700 hp engines revving at 14,000 rpm , and some new American Talent (Sage Karam, Zach Veach, CDP) , we will be back.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
I had the same vibes as you guys it seems. Was a very good race and brought some of the street races from 15 or so years ago to mind. Would love a return to some of the tracks from that era as well. Road America and Michigan in particular come to mind.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Eddie Shack
Go Ducks!

It's a deep hole they are digging out from so I think we need to cut them some slack on the timing of everything else we want. But I finally feel like maybe they really are moving forward with a little momentum.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:40 AM
KevFist
is best pony

I honestly think this year's field is the best since 1994. I can only think of one driver who I question should be there..... And I think Bia will prove me wrong eventually.

Simona..I'm surprised she held off for as long as she did. Those tires were off the cliff and she was really having to use the throttle to turn the car. I'm trying to figure out why KV put her on scuffed reds for the last stint, but hindsight is 20/20.

Vautier didn't get the result he deserved. I'm still trying to figure out how you have a header issue...

One thing I'd like to point out is 5 mechanical retirements....4 of them were Hondas. Pagenaud, Vautier, Beatriz, Newgarden.

Also..What's up with JR Hildebrand? Tweeting while driving? Plus, he also passed James Jakes and Simona under caution.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Eddie Shack
Go Ducks!

Quote:
I honestly think this year's field is the best since 1994. I can only think of one driver who I question should be there..... And I think Bia will prove me wrong eventually.

Simona..I'm surprised she held off for as long as she did. Those tires were off the cliff and she was really having to use the throttle to turn the car. I'm trying to figure out why KV put her on scuffed reds for the last stint, but hindsight is 20/20.

Vautier didn't get the result he deserved. I'm still trying to figure out how you have a header issue...

One thing I'd like to point out is 5 mechanical retirements....4 of them were Hondas. Pagenaud, Vautier, Beatriz, Newgarden.

Also..What's up with JR Hildebrand? Tweeting while driving? Plus, he also passed James Jakes and Simona under caution.
You forgot to mention his "pass" of Will Power under caution.

It is interesting and rare when the Target boys are left scratching their head and saying, WTF about their cars. Ahh, I smell a good season in the air.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:15 PM
KevFist
is best pony

yay! Just got the confirmation of my media credentials for Barber!

Old
03-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Eddie Shack
Go Ducks!

Quote:
yay! Just got the confirmation of my media credentials for Barber!
You da man Kev! We expect some inside scoops now.

BTW, how can I get one of those for Long Beach? Can I tell them I know you?

Old
03-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
So I'm getting ready to cover indycar Preseason Testing at barber next week. If you have any questions for any drivers, post 'em here and I'll ask for you.
Why not race the F1 road course at Indy?

Old
03-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Eddie Shack
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
Why not race the F1 road course at Indy?
I would guess because of the history and tradition of the track and all the US open wheel racing there up until now. Indy is Indy. Too much tradition.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
You can have two races at indy. I don't see how that ruins the Indy 500 or anything of that nature.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
It's not a great course and it kinda would ruin the Indy 500 to a degree.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:58 AM
KevFist
is best pony

The road course at Indy is one of the worst road circuits I've ever seen. As long as tracks like Laguna Seca, Road America and the Cleveland Airport Circuit aren't on the schedule, I can't really justify the IMS F1 course.

Closed Thread