HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Penn State Scandal (Update: NCAA Punishment handed out)

Old
11-08-2011, 03:04 PM
DixonWard15

vCash: 500
Penn State Scandal (Update: NCAA Punishment handed out)

Not exactly a directly Sabres related idea but it is the biggest story in sports, possibly the biggest scandal in college sports ever and the owner is tied with the university.

It seems like this will shake Penn State to its very core, its administration covered up a child rapist to protect the football program. Joe Pa is done, people are going to jail etc and there are questions if there will be a football team in the future.

And then there is Terry Pegula, who earlier this year gave a record donation of $88 million to start a Div 1 Hockey Program. But things have changed, the entire program covered up for a monster, the Athletic Director and a Senior VP has been fired and are facing criminal charges and there is a real question if the School President will be fired. If I were him, I would be looking for an out from the entire deal. I don't believe that we will be hearing anything good from Penn State athletics for any time in the future and the money could be better used elsewhere.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Last edited by joshjull: 07-23-2012 at 09:59 AM.
DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes.

If the people who were responsible for the scandal and or cover up are being dealt with...... why punish those who had absolutely no idea about it? ... Why punish the Hockey Program for the Football Programs mistakes?....

Seems silly...and an overreaction ...

T-Pegs has nothing to worry about.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

I doubt it affects his decision.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:14 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Yes.

If the people who were responsible for the scandal and or cover up are being dealt with...... why punish those who had absolutely no idea about it? ... Why punish the Hockey Program for the Football Programs mistakes?....

Seems silly...and an overreaction ...

T-Pegs has nothing to worry about.
There isn't a div 1 hockey program yet at Penn State, they are slated to start playing in 2 years. I'm not saying that Pegula has anything to worry like he is tied into anything that happened, I am thinking I wouldn't want to be any way involved with Penn State athletics going forward.

As far as punishing people who had no idea, that is what happens with college programs....there is serious talk about just what the hell they are going to do with the football program and that could include not playing anymore.

Old
11-08-2011, 03:14 PM
puckish66

Cliff Benson sits on the board of The Second Mile, the organization founded by the accused.

I don't think Terry will be deterred in the least.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:18 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Doubtful. If it was football related, maybe.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:31 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
Not exactly a directly Sabres related idea but it is the biggest story in sports, possibly the biggest scandal in college sports ever and the owner is tied with the university.

It seems like this will shake Penn State to its very core, its administration covered up a child rapist to protect the football program. Joe Pa is done, people are going to jail etc and there are questions if there will be a football team in the future.

And then there is Terry Pegula, who earlier this year gave a record donation of $88 million to start a Div 1 Hockey Program. But things have changed, the entire program covered up for a monster, the Athletic Director and a Senior VP has been fired and are facing criminal charges and there is a real question if the School President will be fired. If I were him, I would be looking for an out from the entire deal. I don't believe that we will be hearing anything good from Penn State athletics for any time in the future and the money could be better used elsewhere.

Sept. 17th 2010 was the announcement of the donation. What source do you have that it was THIS year?

This is a non-story as far as Pegula is concerned. Any connection is like saying Ralph Wilson just choked to death on a chicken wing, so Pegula better be careful of Chickens. Afterall they both are owners of sports teams and they both eat chicken wings. So be careful.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:45 PM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Sept. 17th 2010 was the announcement of the donation. What source do you have that it was THIS year?

This is a non-story as far as Pegula is concerned. Any connection is like saying Ralph Wilson just choked to death on a chicken wing, so Pegula better be careful of Chickens. Afterall they both are owners of sports teams and they both eat chicken wings. So be careful.
Ignoring the fact that this analogy is completely and totally devoid of logic, it wouldn't be unreasonable to wonder if Pegula would have second thoughts about donating money to an athletic department that's going to fire its A.D. and University President for their involvement in covering up child **** if the donation hasn't fully gone through yet.

MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:05 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:

http://live.psu.edu/story/50867

Saw the date was Jan. so it was a year ago it doesn't change how mad Pegula could be. In the picture in the article there are Two Pegulas, one fired AD facing charges and one embattled School President that is likely to be fired, I could see how Terry would want to distance himself as much as possible from the University.

Old
11-08-2011, 04:08 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
Ignoring the fact that this analogy is completely and totally devoid of logic, it wouldn't be unreasonable to wonder if Pegula would have second thoughts about donating money to an athletic department that's going to fire its A.D. and University President for their involvement in covering up child **** if the donation hasn't fully gone through yet.
That's a decent point. Though, the school's athletic department will no doubt be cleansed pretty thoroughly at this point.

Old
11-08-2011, 04:09 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
thanks, I think some people are misunderstanding what I am saying here.

Old
11-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:

I'd bet a toe that Mr. Pegula isn't even remotely involved with those disgusting crimes and I am sure he wants swift justice brought upon all of those involved in harming the victims. ESPECIALLY the ones who turned their gaze and whistled. Those are the ones that are almost as bad as the rapist itself.

Should they burn the institution to the ground and destroy the program? No. Bet Weed out and burn everybody involved. EV-ER-Y-BOD-Y. If there's nobody left, so be it. Bring in an entirely knew program and adminstrative body.

Mr. Pegula represents the best of what youth hockey and college hockey is, nothing else.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
http://live.psu.edu/story/50867

Saw the date was Jan. so it was a year ago it doesn't change how mad Pegula could be. In the picture in the article there are Two Pegulas, one fired AD facing charges and one embattled School President that is likely to be fired, I could see how Terry would want to distance himself as much as possible from the University.

If i recall... Pegula is an alumni of Penn State..... He made the donation to the University ...not the people running the University ... The University is bigger than an AD and President ...

I don't see him having a change of heart ... the reasons he had when he donated the money would be the same today as they were at the time of the donation ... To promote the game of Hockey..to help the students and give the University a sense of pride... All those reasons still exist.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:39 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

So the football program screws up and T-Pegs is going to punish the hockey program? That makes total sense.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

1) What happened is horrific and disgusting
2) But it is in no way hockey related
3) And even if it was...The money has already been donated as far as I know so even if he wanted to take it back I don't think he could (not that I think he would want to)

Mike McDermott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Thorton02

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
So the football program screws up and T-Pegs is going to punish the hockey program? That makes total sense.
While I don't think it'll change Peg's decision since he's a hockey guy and this isn't to pad his ego, this HAS to be looked at first before the final paper work is signed(assuming it hasn't been already). PSU football is the athletic department. Since it has already gone pretty much to the top, it will affect alumni support, recruiting, etc. Time will tell how much it will affect the hockey program.

Thorton02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:36 AM
MayDay

I have long thought that big-time college sports (esp. football and basketball) need to be divorced from the higher education system spun-off as an independent, professional minor league system.

Colleges should be centers of education, learning, and research, and that should always be their focus. But all the money and publicity of big time college sports have become a corrupting influence. Now in many places (such as Penn State), the football program takes center stage and has all the power, and academic affairs take a back-seat. The tail is wagging the dog. That's the reason that we can have scandals such as this one, and many others in the NCAA.

They should be spun off as minor pro leagues. Because that's what they are already - developmental leagues for the NBA and NFL. The athletes aren't there to pursue learning. Let's drop this "student-athlete" nonsense. They are there to pursue a pro sports career. And while they're doing that, they should at least get paid for all the money they are bringing in.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:38 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I have long thought that big-time college sports (esp. football and basketball) need to be divorced from the higher education system spun-off as an independent, professional minor league system.

Colleges should be centers of education, learning, and research, and that should always be their focus. But all the money and publicity of big time college sports have become a corrupting influence. Now in many places (such as Penn State), the football program takes center stage and has all the power, and academic affairs take a back-seat. The tail is wagging the dog. That's the reason that we can have scandals such as this one, and many others in the NCAA.

They should be spun off as minor pro leagues. Because that's what they are already - developmental leagues for the NBA and NFL. The athletes aren't there to pursue learning. Let's drop this "student-athlete" nonsense. They are there to pursue a pro sports career. And while they're doing that, they should at least get paid for all the money they are bringing in.
Completely agreed.

It's a huge joke.

Old
11-09-2011, 10:46 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

The only thing that concerns Pegula is that his alma mater allowed this to happen. That's it.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:02 AM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I'd bet a toe that Mr. Pegula isn't even remotely involved with those disgusting crimes
I have no idea where you think I said he did. Penn State is going to be a mess for a long time, if I were him I would take my money elsewhere.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
One possibility in this would be Terry getting involved with the trustees on the appointment of a new AD or President. So far, he does seem to have a knack for getting straight-shooting, responsible people into positions of authority. PSU could use that in those positions in light of the apparent failings of its current hierarchy.

11-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:

It's completely a story... PSU is flaming pile of bad PR right now, and if TP has any aspirations beyond being a hockey team owner, I'd guess his PR people are advising him to move away fast, if possible.

Billionaires tend to value their image and publicity a little more than the average joe, and tying yourself and a large charitable donation to a mess of an athletic department could have a negative impact.

That being said, hopefully it will all smooth out and the potential hockey department wouldn't suffer from horrible decisions by the "football" program.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:07 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
One possibility in this would be Terry getting involved with the trustees on the appointment of a new AD or President. So far, he does seem to have a knack for getting straight-shooting, responsible people into positions of authority. PSU could use that in those positions in light of the apparent failings of its current hierarchy.
That is certainly another option, diving in head first to save his school would be commendable. I don't know how political he is but they could certainly use the leadership.

Old
11-09-2011, 01:55 PM
slip

The only reason this story is big is because football occupies such a ridiculously large, supersized position in our society. Horrific **** like this happens all the time in schools across the country, its probably happening right now near a school near you, but now since it indirectly involves a football god like Paterno it's headline news, even deserving it's own thread on a hockey forum. Not bashing the OP, just saying -- as somebody who years ago gave up on football as a watchable sport -- people need to calm the **** down about this pathetically sad, but ultimately insignificant, tragedy.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:19 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Terry doesn't seem to be the type to yank back a donation because something bad happened.

And to the OP, there is no way that the PSU Football program gets the death penalty for this.

Plenty of people will lose their jobs and go to jail. But, Penn State football will move on.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote