HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Offseason (6-10; Gailey and staff fired, Brandon now President)

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 06:20 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Palmer is still a decent starting QB. He has TERRIBLE personnel around him in Oakland, and is easily better than Vick.

I'm not advocating giving up assets for him, I'd only want him if he was a free agent. I don't see any other short term options better than him.

Old
12-18-2012, 06:24 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Thats kinda dumb when everyother tiebreak counts on head to head.
Not really. You aren't trying to establish if you are better than a single team to determine, say, playoffs. You are trying to decide how much worse you were over the course of a season. SOS makes much more sense to do that than a single game against another team

Old
12-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

So who's paying for the billboard this year?

Old
12-18-2012, 09:37 PM
dma0034

Tebow already has more playoff wins than Palmer and the Bills (for the last decade). Palmer's numbers are identical to Fitzpatrick and he has lost some arm strength.

What is different about Tebow that I like is how the offense would change to an option team with Tebow having the ability to throw deep. He's a leader who doesn't like losing and forces everyone around him to be better. Under-valued by most.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:40 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Tebow already has more playoff wins than Palmer and the Bills (for the last decade). Palmer's numbers are identical to Fitzpatrick and he has lost some arm strength.

What is different about Tebow that I like is how the offense would change to an option team with Tebow having the ability to throw deep. He's a leader who doesn't like losing and forces everyone around him to be better. Under-valued by most.
1) Wins are a team statistic, not a player statistic

2) He runs the option poorly, and throws deep poorly.

He's not under-valued, he's regarded as a terrible QB because he's dread-full. Being a "leader" who doesn't like losing (like anybody does) is just a bunch of mumbo jumbo that means nothing on the football field.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:06 PM
missingmika

On a plus note... last year Stevie Johnson became the first Bills receiver ever to get back to back 1,000 receiving yard years. He has 891 yards now, will he get 109 yards in the last two games to be the first Bill with back-to-back-to-back 1,000 yard years?

Old
12-18-2012, 10:18 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post

He's not under-valued, he's regarded as a terrible QB because he's dread-full. Being a "leader" who doesn't like losing (like anybody does) is just a bunch of mumbo jumbo that means nothing on the football field.
#1 true. See Sanchez. Thats why i'm not ready to sell Fitz up the river, Gailey and him have the same record but it's not like Fitz can play D. Where as that bum Chan better have some say on the D or else whats he doing? The HC should pay attention to all aspects, not just his forte.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:19 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmika View Post
On a plus note... last year Stevie Johnson became the first Bills receiver ever to get back to back 1,000 receiving yard years. He has 891 yards now, will he get 109 yards in the last two games to be the first Bill with back-to-back-to-back 1,000 yard years?
Kind of sad when you think about it. Only good thing about Steve is his route running. The Bills had way better WR's in the 90's in Reed, Lofton, Beebe and Moulds.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:28 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Kind of sad when you think about it. Only good thing about Steve is his route running. The Bills had way better WR's in the 90's in Reed, Lofton, Beebe and Moulds.
Reed got close, had a 5 year stretch stretch of 968-1312-945-1113-913...but perhaps Kelly having so many targets hurt him. Lofton's best years were behind him when he came to Buffalo, though he was still serviceable. Beebe is often remembered more fondly than he actually played...he was a decent #2 wideout, but he never got more than 554 yards in one season as a Bill, and his career high was 699 with Green Bay.

Moulds was much like Reed, but even closer...his 5 year stretch was 1368-994-1326-904-1292. He followed that up with 780 (13 games) and 1043. That 994 year he also missed 2 games which undoubtedly would have put him over 1000 for at least the 3 year span.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Moulds was much like Reed, but even closer...his 5 year stretch was 1368-994-1326-904-1292. He followed that up with 780 (13 games) and 1043. That 994 year he also missed 2 games which undoubtedly would have put him over 1000 for at least the 3 year span.
Good ol' even years Moulds.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:33 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Someone can check this, but I thought BUF had 3 x 1000yd receivers in one season in the late '80s with Reed, Lofton, and Frank Lewis (ex Steeler).

(different stat, I know, but that seems an impossibility with the current squad).

Old
12-19-2012, 12:16 AM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post

Wins are a team statistic that is most identified by the hardest position on the field. Goalies, Pitchers and QBs are judged by their wins and losses.

Actually the exact opposite of what you said. He actually has an accurate deep ball and poor accuracy short range. He runs the option good too.

How can you say that about a leader after watching what Brady did against the 49ers? He literally willed that team to a comeback ( still fell short but still). Teams play better when there is a General under center. Manning, Brady, Brees to name a few.

The only real reason I want Vick or Tebow is to run a triple option Pistol. Halfback sweeps would be incredibly effective and would open up chances for the long ball. Vick would be better.... but seriously Palmer isn't good...

Old
12-19-2012, 12:22 AM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Someone can check this, but I thought BUF had 3 x 1000yd receivers in one season in the late '80s with Reed, Lofton, and Frank Lewis (ex Steeler).

(different stat, I know, but that seems an impossibility with the current squad).
91 Lofton and Reed had over 1000 so I assume that is a no since no WR had posted back to back seasons of 1000s yards until last year

Old
12-19-2012, 12:27 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Wins are a team statistic that is most identified by the hardest position on the field. Goalies, Pitchers and QBs are judged by their wins and losses.

Actually the exact opposite of what you said. He actually has an accurate deep ball and poor accuracy short range. He runs the option good too.

How can you say that about a leader after watching what Brady did against the 49ers? He literally willed that team to a comeback ( still fell short but still). Teams play better when there is a General under center. Manning, Brady, Brees to name a few.

The only real reason I want Vick or Tebow is to run a triple option Pistol. Halfback sweeps would be incredibly effective and would open up chances for the long ball. Vick would be better.... but seriously Palmer isn't good...
He "willed" his team back by throwing for over 300 yards. By completing pass after pass against the best team in the league. Brady is a leader and a winner because he is the best QB in the league. Comparing Tebow to him js a joke. All of the guys you named are also great QBs. Tim Tebow isn't even a decent back-up quarterback in this league.

You can't run the option as a full time offense in the NFL it just doesn't work. Especially not when a slow QB like Tebow. If you're going to use it heavily you need a guy with 4.4 speed like Vick or Wilson. But running an option offense full time Vick is a sure-fire way to get the guy killed.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Miller Time

i've been teetering for a few seasons now, but if Wilson brings Gailey back, I don't know how I can continue to support this team... would be inexcusable.

as far as what I'd like to see:

#1 option

Hire Andy Reid
Trade for Alex Smith

two guys with something the prove and coming in with a chip on their shoulder...
A HC who is was the 2nd most successful coach in the league the past decade, consistently winning his division and getting his team deep into the playoffs, and a guy who is good with QB's & offensive lines... both areas that have killed us this past decade.

A QB who was a huge talent, struggled, but worked his way not just back to a starting role, but to pretty impressive completion % (up to a career best 70% this year) and who has the smarts to fit in well to Reid's west coast system (a system that plays to Smith's strengths, and makes his average arm strength and less than ideal mobility far less important).

I have a feeling wherever Reid ends up, he'll make a push for Smith... Might as well be here.

And we just may be able to somewhat taper our losses in trading for Smith (whom the 49ers will likely draw a bidding war to trade) by trading Fitzpatrick to one of the numerous teams who will be looking for a QB to compete for a starting job for them (NJ Jets, Cardinals, Browns, Raiders, Chiefs, Jaguars, Vikings... and maybe even the Bucs and Ravens who'll be likely looking to improve their "back-up plan").

Add Reid & Smith to an offense that has a game-breaking talented back like Spiller (leading the league in yds/rush with only Adrian freaking Peterson close to him... man I hate Gailey!), a high end talented receiver like Johnson, and a pretty solid pass catching tight end, and our offense should have more than enough in it to complement what should be our strength next year... a defense finally ready to live up to the premature billing it received this year, anchored by Te'o (who MUST be our #1 draft target... period).

Option 2, less likely to = playoffs, but at least it would be exciting...

give the reigns to Chip Kelly, and let him bring in Vick at QB. If nothing else, we'd put up some monster numbers with the Vick-Spiller-Johnson "toys" Kelly would have to play with.

Reid, Smith, Te'o.

That's what I want in the offseason

Old
12-19-2012, 05:50 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:

It may be the hardest position but they can't control the other half of the game, I think it has some viability but not that much at the same time.

Brees...ugh he stinks this year, what a waste of a Fantasy pick!

Old
12-19-2012, 05:52 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
i've been teetering for a few seasons now, but if Wilson brings Gailey back, I don't know how I can continue to support this team... would be inexcusable.

as far as what I'd like to see:

#1 option

Hire Andy Reid
Trade for Alex Smith

two guys with something the prove and coming in with a chip on their shoulder...
A HC who is was the 2nd most successful coach in the league the past decade, consistently winning his division and getting his team deep into the playoffs, and a guy who is good with QB's & offensive lines... both areas that have killed us this past decade.

A QB who was a huge talent, struggled, but worked his way not just back to a starting role, but to pretty impressive completion % (up to a career best 70% this year) and who has the smarts to fit in well to Reid's west coast system (a system that plays to Smith's strengths, and makes his average arm strength and less than ideal mobility far less important).

I have a feeling wherever Reid ends up, he'll make a push for Smith... Might as well be here.

And we just may be able to somewhat taper our losses in trading for Smith (whom the 49ers will likely draw a bidding war to trade) by trading Fitzpatrick to one of the numerous teams who will be looking for a QB to compete for a starting job for them (NJ Jets, Cardinals, Browns, Raiders, Chiefs, Jaguars, Vikings... and maybe even the Bucs and Ravens who'll be likely looking to improve their "back-up plan").

Add Reid & Smith to an offense that has a game-breaking talented back like Spiller (leading the league in yds/rush with only Adrian freaking Peterson close to him... man I hate Gailey!), a high end talented receiver like Johnson, and a pretty solid pass catching tight end, and our offense should have more than enough in it to complement what should be our strength next year... a defense finally ready to live up to the premature billing it received this year, anchored by Te'o (who MUST be our #1 draft target... period).

Option 2, less likely to = playoffs, but at least it would be exciting...

give the reigns to Chip Kelly, and let him bring in Vick at QB. If nothing else, we'd put up some monster numbers with the Vick-Spiller-Johnson "toys" Kelly would have to play with.

Reid, Smith, Te'o.

That's what I want in the offseason
Your ideas work but option #1 is Ralph passes!

Old
12-19-2012, 05:56 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

So the Bills and Jets are vying for the same reject possibly:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ce=twitterfeed

Let that freak show go to Jersey. After Sanchize is released we'll need more comedy! Fitz is nowhere near as bad as the Sanch. The Sanch might be worse than Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, JP Lost Cause, Trent Edwards and Kelly Holcomb!

Old
12-19-2012, 09:26 AM
johnjm22

Andy Reid is 12-21 in his last 33 games. Not very good considering he's been given everything he wanted from his owner and GM. Reid has been making terrible personnel decisions and as off the field issues. No thanks.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:07 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Andy Reid is 12-21 in his last 33 games. Not very good considering he's been given everything he wanted from his owner and GM. Reid has been making terrible personnel decisions and as off the field issues. No thanks.
Not to take anything away but he's coaching in the toughest division in the NFL.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:15 PM
thecatch22

New coach, new defensive coordinator, draft Te'o in the 1st round after losing the last two games, draft Tyler Wilson 2nd round.

Boom.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Dubi Doo

Palmer or Smith as quarterback.

Fire coaching staff. Pick a high potential quarterback either this year or next year. Give him time to develop. Hopefully Smith or Palmer can quarterback this team to the playoffs.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch22 View Post
New coach, new defensive coordinator, draft Te'o in the 1st round after losing the last two games, draft Tyler Wilson 2nd round.

Boom.
Boom = 5-11 season because Wilson is still the owner and the new coach and defensive coordinator will be cheap, terrible hires.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:04 AM
MyersMagic57*

Draft a QB and give Vick a shot in Buffalo? I mean hell why not.. Imagine having Spiller, plus another rush option with Vick. I mean he's gotta be better than Fitz.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:15 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
Draft a QB and give Vick a shot in Buffalo? I mean hell why not.. Imagine having Spiller, plus another rush option with Vick. I mean he's gotta be better than Fitz.
But he's not.

Closed Thread