HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Offseason (6-10; Gailey and staff fired, Brandon now President)

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 10:02 PM
BK201

vCash: 500
As a huge bears and bills fans Lovie would be a great long term plan for the bills.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:26 PM
buffswords

What about Tahj Boyd in one of the later rounds. Played really well today against a high quality LSU defense.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:29 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffswords View Post
What about Tahj Boyd in one of the later rounds. Played really well today against a high quality LSU defense.
Was just coming here to post this but i'm thinking more 3rd or 4th round. But he is a junior and could return.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:30 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Schefter tweeted that Doug Marrone is interviewing for Buffalo and Clevelands job! As a huge Cuse fan I would love Marrone in Buffalo, he is an offensive guru.
I'm weary of anything coming out of Syracuse anymore. Didn't know they still had a football program.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:33 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
TBN is also reporting Cardinals DC Ray Horton will interview for the Bills (also Cardinals and Browns). Lovie Smith is apparently most interested in the Bills and Cardinals openings...so if the Bills want him they should have no problem getting Lovie.
Not a big Lovie guy but hes probably the biggest name out there(aside from Reid)and unless they can get Gruden(who is overrated IMO)I wouldnt mind it I guess.

I know Gruden is overrated but one thing he has that nobody has had here in forever is a backbone. Hes a no nonsense tough nosed guy. A guy like that would be welcomed with open arms.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:06 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I have to say Hasselbeck on ESPN is a bum...so is Bruschi. Do they even watch the games outside of the good ones?

The Bears job is the most desireable? REALLY? Cutler is no better than Fitzpatrick. Hes got an arm, yay. He's also terrible with accuracy and he has an ego the size of Mount Everest.

The Bills job is among the worst? They could have won 11 games if it weren't for Gailey. Houston game, Rams game, Indy game, Pats game(to a degree) and same deal for tennessee. Not to mention the team looked unprepared for 5 losses(that goes to Gailey too) The D was horse**** in the Tennessee/NE games though, but Gailey still found ways to be the goat. Different head coach I think we're doing a Wildcard preview chatter this week.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:20 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

even if the bills had won 12 games the national media would still say it was among the worst jobs.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:41 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres View Post
even if the bills had won 12 games the national media would still say it was among the worst jobs.
It's because of Ralph.

The team under performed. No question. But I think what they have is a winning team. I'm somewhat a Fitz apologist. But Gailey sabotaged Spiller and Fitz in the process. Spiller had 1,200 yards on 187 carries.....187. Thats like friggen 2 months worth if you go by the 25 touches a game theory. Imagine if he got it the same amount the other half. Gailey left Fitz hung out to dry at times.

At the sametime the D needs to blitz a hell of a lot more and Anderson should be back(which means bye bye replacement.) The secondary could use some improvements.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:54 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
I'm weary of anything coming out of Syracuse anymore. Didn't know they still had a football program.
Would of been funny had they not crushed NC this weekend in a bowl game, but with the Sabres undefeated over the last 3 months I haven't paid much attention to the NCAAF either.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:09 AM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Schefter tweeted that Doug Marrone is interviewing for Buffalo and Clevelands job! As a huge Cuse fan I would love Marrone in Buffalo, he is an offensive guru.
Yes, this would be amazing, and I'm sure he would love to have Nassib here as well, which would be incredible.

Quote:
And you sir, are an A$$hat.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:10 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Would of been funny had they not crushed NC this weekend in a bowl game, but with the Sabres undefeated over the last 3 months I haven't paid much attention to the NCAAF either.
West Virginia, but they stink and it was snowing. Bowl season is also a bad thing to judge on. Not every team cares. WVU went from, Top 5 to that? Didn't care. Syracuse went from nowhere to that? Game in NYC? They cared.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:26 AM
buffalowing88

Quote:
I have to say Hasselbeck on ESPN is a bum...so is Bruschi. Do they even watch the games outside of the good ones?

The Bears job is the most desireable? REALLY? Cutler is no better than Fitzpatrick. Hes got an arm, yay. He's also terrible with accuracy and he has an ego the size of Mount Everest.

The Bills job is among the worst? They could have won 11 games if it weren't for Gailey. Houston game, Rams game, Indy game, Pats game(to a degree) and same deal for tennessee. Not to mention the team looked unprepared for 5 losses(that goes to Gailey too) The D was horse**** in the Tennessee/NE games though, but Gailey still found ways to be the goat. Different head coach I think we're doing a Wildcard preview chatter this week.
Man you bring up a lot of good points with Lovie and the losses we suffered this season being so close....that being said I believe that Cutler is a world away from anything Fitz will ever be. Cutler had a HORRID offensive line for most of the season. Fitz had a great OL. The difference in their numbers is marginal at best. Give the Bills a year of Cutler and we make the playoffs. He's a good QB.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:19 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Man you bring up a lot of good points with Lovie and the losses we suffered this season being so close....that being said I believe that Cutler is a world away from anything Fitz will ever be. Cutler had a HORRID offensive line for most of the season. Fitz had a great OL. The difference in their numbers is marginal at best. Give the Bills a year of Cutler and we make the playoffs. He's a good QB.
Bears fans are chomping at the bit to get rid of Cutler. By their standards hes good but whenever I watch him I just leave unimpressed. For as good as their D is they should have more to show for by now(perhaps a ring) Last 6 years ONE postseason appearance. Its not like outside of Green Bay that division has been good.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
West Virginia, but they stink and it was snowing. Bowl season is also a bad thing to judge on. Not every team cares. WVU went from, Top 5 to that? Didn't care. Syracuse went from nowhere to that? Game in NYC? They cared.
Oh I see you do know they have a football program and were just being snarky and trashing on a semi local college that several posters have/are currently attending. Got it, my mistake, carry on.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Press Conference at noon but the details already leaked, Buddy Nix staying, Russ Brandon promoted to President and Ralph stepping partially aside... In other news Bills still a joke of an orginazation. Why is Buddy Nix not fired? I'm done with the Bills unless they bring in a top coach. They settle for Russ Grimm or Ray Horton I am done. **** this team.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Press Conference at noon but the details already leaked, Buddy Nix staying, Russ Brandon promoted to President and Ralph stepping partially aside... In other news Bills still a joke of an orginazation. Why is Buddy Nix not fired? I'm done with the Bills unless they bring in a top coach. They settle for Russ Grimm or Ray Horton I am done. **** this team.
Not quite. The report is Ralph is removing himself from all football operations and turning the franchise over to Russ Brandon, as Team President. Nix stays for now as GM; Doug Whaley as GM-in-waiting. Brandon/Nix/Whalley will select the new coach with no financial/power restrictions. Not huge news, but it's progress.

Coaching interviews begin tomorrow. Marrone will be interviewed. Lovie Smith has called the Bills and expressed interest. They will also make a hard run at Chip Kelly. This is all from Howard Simon.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Bills naming Russ Brandon president/CEO with full authority. GM Buddy Nix is staying, with team transitioning Doug Whaley to GM at some pt.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Why is Russ Brandon being given more power!?!? He is a marketing guy not a football one. Why is Buddy still here? Even if it is for a year or so why not let Whaley take over now?!?

Kick in the gut. And those "reports" saying we are going hard after chip Kelly blah blah is just the same old **** they said 3 years ago, except replace Chip Kelly and Doug Marrone with Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher, and who did we end up with? Chan Gailey.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Why is Russ Brandon being given more power!?!? He is a marketing guy not a football one. Why is Buddy still here? Even if it is for a year or so why not let Whaley take over now?!?

Kick in the gut. And those "reports" saying we are going hard after chip Kelly blah blah is just the same old **** they said 3 years ago, except replace Chip Kelly and Doug Marrone with Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher, and who did we end up with? Chan Gailey.
Hopefully some of this will be clarified at the press conference. My read is that Brandon takes over business operations with Nix/Whaley making the football decisions and answering to Brandon. The point is that Wilson/Littmann no longer bless everything. And that is a strong point to be made to coaching candidates. No, they probably won't land a top name, but you can blame the town for that just as much as the organization. But once again, there are no restrictions and no meddling coming from Detroit so that helps the cause. I'm neutral on Nix. He's made some bad decisions, most notably Fitzpatrick, but he has most definitely improved the overall roster. Being formally acknowledged as a transition GM makes it easier to swallow.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:36 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Not quite. The report is Ralph is removing himself from all football operations and turning the franchise over to Russ Brandon, as Team President. Nix stays for now as GM; Doug Whaley as GM-in-waiting. Brandon/Nix/Whalley will select the new coach with no financial/power restrictions. Not huge news, but it's progress.

Coaching interviews begin tomorrow. Marrone will be interviewed. Lovie Smith has called the Bills and expressed interest. They will also make a hard run at Chip Kelly. This is all from Howard Simon.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Bills naming Russ Brandon president/CEO with full authority. GM Buddy Nix is staying, with team transitioning Doug Whaley to GM at some pt.
If Lovie Smith indeed wants to come to Buffalo, then he should be at the top of the list. Say what you will about his time in Chicago. He's a good coach and a top class guy. He'd do a ton to get some credibility back to Buffalo.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:55 AM
aceface33

I bet Nix stays until the draft then they hand things fully over to Whaley. They've done so much draft scouting and work at this point that Nix would have to be in the draft room either way.

Also, if Ralph is truly removing himself from all football operations, that's only good news. As long as Brandon stays out of football decisions- and he has steadily maintained he has since Nix became GM- I like having him at the top. I trust him more having the final say on decisions than I do Ralph.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:13 AM
johnjm22

So Doug Marrone and Ray Horton are going to be interviewed for the Bills head coaching job.

I actually like both of them. They've each done a good job at their current posts, and both are probably hungry to prove themselves as head coaches.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:53 AM
is the answer jesus

Citing a league source Tim Graham of the Buffalo news says Ken Whisenhunt is on the radar of bills CEO Russ Brandon

Old
01-01-2013, 11:31 AM
MyersMagic57*

Mike Harrington keeps posting that Wisehunt would be a bad choice because of his record and what not, claiming that a bad QB is no excuse. But in all seriousness, how in the hell do you expect to win games with Lindy starting a majority of your games. This is a QB league now and Harrington doesn't know what he is talking about

Old
01-01-2013, 11:31 AM
MyersMagic57*

Very Pegula-esque speech by Brandon. Wants to spend more money. Thats what I like to hear

Old
01-01-2013, 12:04 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

By Ralph stepping aside (I am not local and just turned into WGR site broadcast but am sure full broadcast will be available replay on WGR site) - do we infer Ralph is preparing to die? and I am not being macabre or wishful in any way. What was said at beginning of presser? Any reason given for stepping down? Health cited in any way?

Closed Thread