HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Offseason (6-10; Gailey and staff fired, Brandon now President)

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 12:19 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
By Ralph stepping aside (I am not local and just turned into WGR site broadcast but am sure full broadcast will be available replay on WGR site) - do we infer Ralph is preparing to die? and I am not being macabre or wishful in any way. What was said at beginning of presser? Any reason given for stepping down? Health cited in any way?
No, Russ said that Ralph was at the holiday party longer than him and didn't indicate he is doing poorly in any way. He did not give a reason for the decision ultimately.

---

Hard to get too excited about this move, but there were some positive things I heard from it:
- Russ saying "this brand has been tarnished" and consistently saying the team's performance in the last 15 years or so was "unacceptable"
- Nix staying on for now. A lot may not agree, but I think it's important to not start from scratch AGAIN. Get the right coach and a good QB and that will be the better indicator of whether Nix and Whaley are the right guys.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

I have no faith for Nix to evaluate talent and bring in the right guy anyway. Aside from his average 1st round picks his 2nd round picks have been pure **** besides Glenn. Troup and Aaron Williams are terrible. I'd rather have Whaley GM now. They say things change but with the Bills it's always the same.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:18 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
@JasonLaCanfora: When Bills execs head West to interview Ken Whisenhunt, a prime target, and Ray Horton, also expected to take a crack at Chip Kelly...
Please OBD, just hand him a blank check. Him, a young spread QB from college, and Spiller would be awesome.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:12 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
@AdamSchefter
Buffalo has asked for permission to interview Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for its HC job.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...76406763872257

Old
01-01-2013, 03:35 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Andy Reid close to a deal with the Cardinals, not that i though he would come here but just saying.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:43 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Not the best fit there.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:45 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Not being a Debbie Downer, but, Why would any recently-fired NFL HC (Lovie Smith, et al.) want to come to Buffalo? Why? What is the attraction other than having a paying job? Virtually all other NFL jobs as HC, coordinator, college Head Coach, etc., have to have better appeal...

Old
01-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Not being a Debbie Downer, but, Why would any recently-fired NFL HC (Lovie Smith, et al.) want to come to Buffalo? Why? What is the attraction other than having a paying job? Virtually all other NFL jobs as HC, coordinator, college Head Coach, etc., have to have better appeal...
The only way they get a guy like that is by offering him complete control. I don't see them doing that, so there's probably not much reason for him coming here.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:14 PM
BK201

Quote:
Think Lovie wants to come because of the personnel on defense. He could really turn them around.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:18 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Quote:
Player personnel, draft position, desire to build one's own team/system. Whoever ends up being the coach will have a team with legitimate underperforming talent at several important positions and arguably pro-bowl talent on both lines, halfback, safety, and in special teams. He'll also have a top-10 pick to spend where he likes. It's a chicken-and-egg thing where if a coach establishes a winning environment he's hailed as a savior/architect and the position becomes enviable. Take away Green Bay's mystique and it's on par with Buffalo.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:33 PM
buffalowing88

Looks like Reid is going to Arizona or at least on the verge of signing over there. PFT and ESPN have links on it and it says numerous league sources confirm this. If that's the case I'm glad. Takes a coach we don't want off the market and puts him on a team that Lovie Smith had mentioned being interested in.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Lovie Smith is publicly clamoring for our head coaching job. Make it happen.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Lovie Smith is publicly clamoring for our head coaching job. Make it happen.
Link? I'd like to see what he said.

Old
01-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Link? I'd like to see what he said.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-buffalo-bills

Supposedly Andy Reid is going to the Cards so that should make us the big favorites to get Lovie.

According to NFL.Coms twitter Russ Brandon and Ken Whisenhunt are having dinner and interest is "High" on both sides Great, instead of hiring a coach with a winning record and the 4th most NFC wins while he was coach (Lovie) we are going to hire a guy with a 45-51 record who has proven nothing when he didn't have an elite QB (Kurt Warner) typical Bills

Old
01-01-2013, 07:46 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Here I was optimistic they would do a real coaching search...

My take on the GM situation is they'll wait until after the draft to relieve Nix and promote Whaley, figuring Nix has already worked on the draft so let him handle that. But it seems like Whaley is going to become more involved...hopefully that's a good thing.

They should at least talk to Lovie. And please, no Wisenhunt...he might not be the worst they could do, but I've just never been impressed by him. Also no Chip Kelly...just have that nagging feeling he is going to bust if he makes the jump.

Old
01-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

What is the news on Chip Kelly? Any interest from either party?

Old
01-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Oregon has a bowl game on Thursday. Chip's not going to do anything until the end of the week.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:31 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
LaCanfora says the bills are planning on interviewing him.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:57 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Here I was optimistic they would do a real coaching search...

My take on the GM situation is they'll wait until after the draft to relieve Nix and promote Whaley, figuring Nix has already worked on the draft so let him handle that. But it seems like Whaley is going to become more involved...hopefully that's a good thing.

They should at least talk to Lovie. And please, no Wisenhunt...he might not be the worst they could do, but I've just never been impressed by him. Also no Chip Kelly...just have that nagging feeling he is going to bust if he makes the jump.
Listen to Whaley's interview on WGR today. It seems like he is the one pushing for Wisenhunt. It's the Pittsburgh connection.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:39 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Today sounds like a GOOD day but also only baby steps at the same time. Ralph is basically signing off. I have no complaints here really.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:42 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Listen to Whaley's interview on WGR today. It seems like he is the one pushing for Wisenhunt. It's the Pittsburgh connection.
Cronyism...just because you know the guy doesn't mean he's the right one for the job

Old
01-01-2013, 09:42 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

If its not a big name coach this is frustrating. Do you think with Brandon in control he might sign off on a guy who wants MORE POWER?

Old
01-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Take a chance on Kelly! Why not try out an innovative coach at the college ranks, it cant really end up worse then anything else the team has done the past 15 years. Could be the next Spurrier or the next Coryell but at least the upside there is high.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:01 AM
johnjm22

What has Ken Whisenhunt done to justify the Bills interest?

He's had 2 winning seasons in 6 years. Both those winning seasons came when the NFC West was probably the worst division in the NFL. His super bowl team was a fluke.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:20 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Mizzenhunt had a nice 4-0 start this year... and decided to pull a JauronGailey and go 1-11 the rest of the way.

Closed Thread