HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 6.0 - "Gally Got Backhand" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 08:25 PM
MaxLacoste

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Monster
It's kind of mean.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsnet View Post
That Gally line is for sure one of the best lines in the league ! Gally makes everyone around him better,that what the habs need.
I think we need more of that

Old
12-01-2012, 08:27 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Put him with Rene Bourque!

Old
12-01-2012, 08:27 PM
OneSharpMarble

If Galchenyuk had this season last year instead of being injured would Edmonton or Columbus have let him slip by?

Old
12-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
After a 'slow' start to the season in September, Galchenyuk has 45pts in 23 games.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
3rd period;
9 shifts, 7:08 ice time.

Totals for tonight;
24 shifts, 22:12 time on ice.
3 goals, 1 assist, +3.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Always owe a debt a gratitude to the Columbus Blue Jackets....
Some of their fans are already freaked out about passing on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If Galchenyuk had this season last year instead of being injured would Edmonton or Columbus have let him slip by?
Hard to say. CBJ loved Murray enough to have him #1 on their list. But apparently Gally was #2 on their list...

The EDM head scout MacGregor was never sky high on Galchenyuk it seems, they didn't even fly him into EDM in the weeks before the draft yet they brought in Grigorenko.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Habsnet

Quote:
Gally is averaging 1.74 ppg this season ,that is Elite stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Yea for sure but were lucky tht we have a player in our system that can be an Elite player in the Nhl one day !

Old
12-01-2012, 08:34 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Well, Yakupov played better than him as a 17 year-old, so why wouldn't he play better as an 18 year-old?

I think Galchenyuk would have gone 2nd. He's doing great in the OHL this year... and Yakupov is doing great in the KHL, 10 goals and 18 points in 19 games.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

He's been on fire after a so so start...last 15 games 14-19-33

Old
12-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Well, Yakupov played better than him as a 17 year-old, so why wouldn't he play better as an 18 year-old?
Yakupov is a year older in ''hockey years'' though. If Yakupov had been born 3 weeks earlier he's in the 2011 draft.

When Gally was 16 in 2010-11, Yakupov was 17.

Now Gally is 18, which is the age Yakupov was last year.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:39 PM
DAChampion

OHL scoring leaders:
http://ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show

Galchenyuk is now 3rd with 48 points in 27 games.

The guys ahead of him?

Seth Griffin has 49 points in 29 games, and is 13 months older than Galchenyuk.

Ryan Strome has 59 points in 30 games (!!!), and is 7 months older than Galchenyuk.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Keep in mind though, guys. Last two games were against bottom-dwelling teams.

Peterborough is last in the Eastern Conference, Saginaw is second to last in the West.

Still impressive that he's racking up all these points.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:40 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Yakupov was better than him, but he was also 18 for close to, if not the entire season, not 17.

Quote:
I think Galchenyuk would have gone 2nd. He's doing great in the OHL this year... and Yakupov is doing great in the KHL, 10 goals and 18 points in 19 games.
Yup.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
No, because he'd be in the same boat Stamkos, Hall, Seguin and Tavares were in terms of production for a draft eligible year and would be ahead of Yakupov's scoring on the year.

But I doubt he does quite so well last year as he is now.

Its a fair question on how much do we handicap him for missing a season. If you don't consider it a factor at all then he's scoring like a Brayden Schenn or Cody Hodgson. If you think guys in their draft years are the then he's comparable to a Seguin or a Stamkos.

I think the take home should be that he's in the conversation for best forward in the CHL this season, which is as good as we could have expected from him.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:42 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
highlights asap would be much appreciated

Old
12-01-2012, 08:44 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He's been on fire after a so so start...last 15 games 14-19-33
Unreal. Closing in on 1.8 ppg after the slow start he had.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
DAChampion

Hadn't realized about the age difference !!!

I guess it might take years to know who the better player is.

Who will win the 2013-2014 rookie of the year award?

Probably Yakupov if he plays on a line wirh Ryan Nugent Hopkins and Taylor Hall, but who knows ???

Old
12-01-2012, 08:47 PM
That

5-2 win for Sarnia over Peterborough. Pretty boring game until the third, lots of broken plays and missed passes. Plus everyone on the ice looked exhausted except Nick Ritchie, JP Anderson, Davis Brown and Alex Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk picks up his 2nd career OHL hattrick, and one assist.

To start the game Galchenyuk looked fairly tired and wasn't moving much, but after that first shift he found his groove. His next shift he had a beautiful sequence of events. He used his incredible hands to set up Sarault, but he just missed the puck. As the play came the other way he stole the puck and then cut across the ice, deking out the defenders, and sniped it five-hole for his first goal of the night. He did however have a terrible drop pass on the PP that went right to Petes forward. In the second he looked awesome too. He stole the puck on the PK and passed it Boucher who missed what should have been a goal. His positioning on the PK tonight was fantastic, too. He picked up his second goal of the night by throwing the puck in front of the net and it deflected off a Petes player and in the net. Galchenyuk completely took over the third period, even more so than the previous two periods. He started it off with a beautiful pass and creating space with his hands. He picked up his only assist of the night, by setting up Boucher for the easy goal. It was an incredible pass. With time running out of the game he picked up his play further. He did a fantastic job protecting the front of the net, but eventually Sarnia got scored on as the defenceman were completely out of the position. The next shift he did a great job in front of the net again, he won a board battle but then cleared the puck right to a Pete who kept it in play. Galchenyuk went over and blocked the proceeding shot, eventually cleared the puck again. Sarault won the ensuing foot race and then board battle with Koekkoek and with some flash, passed to Boucher who scored. I felt Galchenyuk should have gotten an assist on that, but it doesn't really matter. He completed the hattrick going to the front of the net and Sarault set up him for the easy tap in.

Overall, I thought that was one of Galchenyuk's best games this year. His linemates looked tired all night and they still ended up with 6 points between them. I think that's pretty telling of how good he was tonight. Defensively, he was phenomenal tonight. Made plenty of great plays. He stole the puck, had great positioning and won virtually every puck battle he engaged in. I've been critical of his defensive effort and physical game in the past, but tonight he looked great in both of the aspects. He used his body very effectively, especially in his own zone.

-JP Anderson was a brick wall tonight. He faced 41 shots and stopped 39 of them. He kept them in the game all night and was especially good in the second and with time running out in the third. He was stellar.
-Charlie Sarault picked up 3 assists, but he looked pretty tired tonight. The puck came off his stick randomly and he couldn't seem to connect a pass in the first two periods. He picked his play up in the third though.
-Reid Boucher continued his incredible run tonight. He's tied for 3rd in OHL goal scoring. He's really starting to find consistency in his release. However, he did look tired for the most part and was invisible more often than not.
-Davis Brown looked great tonight. He showed off some solid speed and made some great decisions offensively. He's getting confidence in his shot, that thing is a laser beam.
-Slater Koekkoek had a great game apart some getting crushed by Charlie Sarault at the end of the third. He looked very confident offensively and made some great rushes. He held the puck in the offensive zone well too.
-Nick Ritchie was awesome tonight. He was all over the offensive zone and created a ton of chances. He mainly shot the puck, but also showed some of his vision with two incredible passes. He's a throw-back powerforward. It's hard not to love this kid, he's going to be a beast. It's really hard to believe that he's only 16. And the Montreal Canadiens are proud to select from the Peterborough Petes.. Nick Ritchie!
-Derek Mathers had a strong first period but really trailed off at the end. He had a ton of chances early on but couldn't bury any of them.

Last edited by That: 12-01-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old
12-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Vi Nc E x13x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Some of their fans are already freaked out about passing on him.

Hard to say. CBJ loved Murray enough to have him #1 on their list. But apparently Gally was #2 on their list...

The EDM head scout MacGregor was never sky high on Galchenyuk it seems, they didn't even fly him into EDM in the weeks before the draft yet they brought in Grigorenko.
Wait what they have fans

Old
12-01-2012, 08:52 PM
HockeyFan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Always owe a debt a gratitude to the Columbus Blue Jackets....
Why so?

All to contrary, congrats to Montreal and their scouting staff for believing enough in Galchenyuk, a player who missed all but only eight games in his draft year, for having the guts to pick him with a Top 3 pick, which obviously Edmonton and Columbus didn't. So, too bad for them.

Last edited by HockeyFan87: 12-01-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old
12-01-2012, 08:52 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Saw Gally live tonight. Was a treat to watch live offensively. It was really evident that his teammates are always trying to find him on the ice and that makes me think why we sometimes see him try and do too much. His first goal of the night was a nice play he created himself with a turnover and scored unassisted. His 2nd goal kind of confused me as it banked off a defender i believe (i was on the petes side too see gally shoot twice)..3rd goal an EN from Sarault who basically gave gally the hatty. His assist was a beautiful pass that led to a nice shot from Boucher I believe.

Something I noticed is Gally has really broad shoulders and uses those to his advantage in the corners and also when trying to take the puck away from other skaters. Really liked how strong he was on the puck also. His vision with the puck was also unbelieveable. He sees players sometimes that I couldnt see in the stands.

The only thing that concerned me was Gallys play in the middle-end of the 3rd. He was very lazy defensively in that span, but it could be from back-to-back games and coming from Sarnia last night and he was tired. Otherwise throughout the game he was really strong defensively and was really evident closing lanes on the PK. Was impressed was his D tonight.

Overall, really solid game from Gally as he picked up a Hatty and an assist.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:55 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Gally is averaging 1.74 ppg this season ,that is Elite stats
I thought I was nuts for demanding 1.7 ppg before he started the season. Then I was content with 1.5.. now I don't want to feel like a genius as much as it is unbelievable for Gally to surpass my expectations!

Old
12-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Was there tonight, Galchenyuk played amazing.
Set up at least three empty nets that were flubbed on.
His assist was amazing, he shot it off the pads of the goalie perfectly to Boucher.

After the game I met him and got his signature, was pretty nice.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:57 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

galchenyrust

Closed Thread