HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 6.0 - "Gally Got Backhand" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 08:21 PM
That

vCash: 500
3-0!

Assist for Galchenyuk on the empty netter.

30th assist of the year. Ties Griffith for second in OHL scoring with 51 points.

Old
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Assist for gally. Ties seth griffith for 2nd place in the OHL.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Assist on the empty netter.

Carbo, OHL.com can be a bit wacky. There were shots, don't worry.

And with that assist, Gally finishes the night in 2nd place in scoring.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

1G, 1A tonight for Gally. Now tied for 2nd in OHL scoring, technically has the spot with less GP.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Carboneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Assist on the empty netter.

Carbo, OHL.com can be a bit wacky. There were shots, don't worry.

And with that assist, Gally finishes the night in 2nd place in scoring.
hahah thanks yea I just saw that everything was updated now

Old
12-06-2012, 08:41 PM
That

3-0 win for Sarnia over Saginaw. A solid performance from Galchenyuk. He picked up a goal and an assist.

Galchenyuk started off the game fairly quietly. He didn't seem alert and seemed to be a bit sluggish. He did have a nice steal in the offensive zone, but followed it up with a sloppy pass to Boucher. Then, Galchenyuk turned it all around. At the end of a penalty kill he stole the puck at the blue line and then gloved it down. He did lose the ensuing footrace, but just barely. Next shift he came flying down the wing and deked the defender out and drove it to the net, a very powerforward-esque move. He had a beautiful pass right on the tape of Sarault's stick, but nothing came from it. At the end of the period he took a penalty for high-sticking. Defensively, I thought he was alright. He looked a little bit tired and didn't seem interested at times. Like always, his positioning was very good though.

In the second, Galchenyuk carried his momentum from the mid of the first period. He had a nice pass, but then followed it up with a bad one because he didn't engage himself along the boards quick enough. He had a nice behind the back pass along the boards to start the breakout. He’s really starting to look more comfortable on the wing, he’s driving the net and making better, more crisp passes from the wing than he has been in the past. His first goal of the night came from a beautiful snipe on the PP. He was down low and got the puck and got his shot of very quickly. One of the best shots I've seen this year. Next shift, Galchenyuk cut across the ice using his great speed and hands, but ended up skating into a group. However he did come out with the puck. He also has started using his slapper more often. That shot is a rocket, he came down the wing at one point and unleashed his shot. It just missed high. He did have some bad plays at the end of the though. He couldn't trap the puck when he skated by it, couldn't receive a pass on a 2-on-1 and forced a pass on the PP. Sometimes I feel he has to be more selfish, especially games like tonight since Sarault could had some struggles with the puck and I have no idea if Boucher actually played or not.

Galchenyuk continued to pick up his play and had a fantastic third period. He had another picked shot on the PP from an eerily similar spot as the first goal. He had a nice clear on the PK that led to a scoring chance for Sarnia. He had one particularly great shift. He made a fantastic pass, the recipient was covered but Galchenyuk still managed to the tape. Then he drove to the net and wrecked havoc in front. He almost got a goal from that. He also had a great pass after deking out two defenders down low, but the pass didn't make it to its intended target. Galchenyuk also showed off that killer saucer pass with a beautiful one to Boucher on a 2-on-1. With time running out he made a solid hit, but he did have a really stupid behind the back pass right at his own blueline. He picked up his second point and first assist of the night with a pass to Basso on the empty net goal.

Overall, I thought Galchenyuk played a solid game. His game steadily picked up as the time went on. He's putting together quite a good streak of solid games now. I thought he defensive game was pretty solid tonight too. It wasn't his best performance, but it was good. He made some weird plays, but backchecked hard and positioned himself great. For the most part, I feel that he does what’s asked of him defensively and a bit more, but I'd like to see him go above and beyond in that aspect with more consistency.

-Connor Murphy was fantastic tonight. Just an incredible performance from him. He was a beast and was a huge reason why Sarnia came out with a W.
-JP Anderson was fantastic as well. He was the best player on the ice. He was a brick wall and kept Sarnia in the game. He's really starting to find his groove and he looks fantastic.
-Davis Brown picked up his first career OHL goal tonight. It was a beaut. He stole the puck and then went around the net and blasted a shot topshelf. Since returning from injury he's had a 4 points in 4 games. He had a ton of chances tonight and looked really too. I hope he continues the good play. He seems like a hard working kid and Sarnia could really use some more depth scoring.
-Nick Moutrey was Saginaw's best player tonight. I really don't know why he doesn't get more hype. I've seen about 15 Saginaw games this year and I'd say in about 80% of them he's been the best player. Yes, better than Trocheck. He's also a powerforward who's soft hands and a great shot. He also has an agitating game, which was very evident tonight even if he wasn't hitting a whole lot.
-Dalton Young had a filthy toe drag to split the D on the PP. He one particularly great shift but was quiet for the rest of the game. He's been huge for Saginaw for this year though, it's like watching a completely different player.
-I really liked Brandon Prophet tonight. He's very composed and poised on the ice. It's had to believe he's a 96, he's a very solid defenceman.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Reading That numerous reports, it seems Gally has some trouble starting his games. Not that I'm complaining in any ways, just an observation.

Also, I'm starting to see 2pts in a game as the baseline for Gally, and it's scaring the hell out of me. The guy has been playing at an insane rate for quite a while now. He almost got to slow down at one point.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:45 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
2 years ago.

CAREER TRANSACTIONS
9/20/2010 Signed as a free agent by the San Jose Sharks.
Doh!

Old
12-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Beerbeerhockey

I remember people questioning how Gally would do without Yakupov, he seems to be doing just fine. I'm glad we got him, can't wait to see him in the Wjc.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:36 PM
JAVO16

I think That is my favorite poster since the beginning of the OHL season and the lockout. Major props for all your game analysis.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:42 PM
poetryinmotion

You honestly cannot appreciate the beauty of that goal from such a bad quality video. I'm sure people that saw it live were like The commentator sounded like he needed a new pair of undies.

If you look at the celebration afterwards Gally just shakes it off as it ain't no big deal though haha.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:27 PM
zzoo

Galchenyuk has scored in the last 5 games.
Strome has been impressive, with 2 ppg now. He leads Galchenyuk by 11 pts, with 2 more games.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:57 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Galchenyuk has scored in the last 5 games.
Strome has been impressive, with 2 ppg now. He leads Galchenyuk by 11 pts, with 2 more games.
Strome is too well surrounded, will win the scoring leader race easily..

Old
12-07-2012, 12:02 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
You honestly cannot appreciate the beauty of that goal from such a bad quality video. I'm sure people that saw it live were like The commentator sounded like he needed a new pair of undies.

If you look at the celebration afterwards Gally just shakes it off as it ain't no big deal though haha.
That shot would have beat the best NHL goaltenders, it was just too good of a shot.. You just cant give this kid any room cause he will kill you multiple ways, I would go as far as saying I would compare his wrist shot to the one of Stamkos at the same age..

Old
12-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Saundies

Alex Galchenyuk - the only bright light in terms of Habs hockey in 2012-2013 (we might have been saying that lock-out or no lock-out). But seriously; I can't wait to watch this guy play in the WJC... and I don't even like the States even a little bit. Whenever the Sting play now I read twitter religiously for updates. Now I don't even check to see if he did get any points, but for how many he got.

I know he's done nothing with the Habs yet, but I'm already extremely pleased and impressed with him... The kid looks awesome.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Odelein24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
Alex Galchenyuk - the only bright light in terms of Habs hockey in 2012-2013 (we might have been saying that lock-out or no lock-out). But seriously; I can't wait to watch this guy play in the WJC... and I don't even like the States even a little bit. Whenever the Sting play now I read twitter religiously for updates. Now I don't even check to see if he did get any points, but for how many he got.

I know he's done nothing with the Habs yet, but I'm already extremely pleased and impressed with him... The kid looks awesome.
Yes! I'm on the exact same page as you. Reading updates about our prospects, especially Alex, is what is keeping my mind from going off the deep end.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:39 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Strome is too well surrounded, will win the scoring leader race easily..
Strome is also a year older, and is a pure offensive player. I'd take Gally over Strome, with little hesitation.

The fellow who made the Ron Francis comparison earlier was dead on, though I'm not sure Francis could shoot it like that.

Not saying Gally is better by any means, in fact I think everyone here would be absolutely over the moon if Gally became Ron Francis. Even a poor mans Ron francis and I'd be thrilled.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:03 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Old
12-07-2012, 04:28 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
holy crap! gally got forehand!

Old
12-07-2012, 05:25 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
holy crap! gally got forehand!
I can't believe its not backhand?!

Gally has a legitimate chance to crack the Habs roster if there is a shortened season. His play since Rustgate has just been dominant!

Old
12-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Didn't have a chance to see the game, but wow what a shot. Upon release, I can't even see the puck. Neither did the goalie, for sure. What I'm loving is every time he scores, the announcer has to say, "that was a pro shot right there." It really is. He's beating goaltenders with shots they only see once it bounces in and out of the net.

Tonight is going to be a real treat. Galchenyuk against Brady Vail and the Windsor Spitfires. Vail scored a goal last night in a 3-2 win over Sault Ste. Marie.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:31 AM
PricePkPatch

It's not so much the precision of the shot that impressed me; more the speed at which he assessed and delivered.

Camellari would have stewed the puck at least 2 seconds

Old
12-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Strome is also a year older, and is a pure offensive player. I'd take Gally over Strome, with little hesitation..
I don't think any GM would argue with that. Strome is very talented but he is one dimensional and a little on the soft side. Strome will be a complimentary player whereas Galchenyuk is showing real signs of being a cornerstone piece for a franchise.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Didn't have a chance to see the game, but wow what a shot. Upon release, I can't even see the puck. Neither did the goalie, for sure. What I'm loving is every time he scores, the announcer has to say, "that was a pro shot right there." It really is. He's beating goaltenders with shots they only see once it bounces in and out of the net.

Tonight is going to be a real treat. Galchenyuk against Brady Vail and the Windsor Spitfires. Vail scored a goal last night in a 3-2 win over Sault Ste. Marie.
I think you could say the same about half of his goals scored this year...most of them I can't even see go in the net.

Again, I couldn't careless about the points he's racking up, it's nice but not indicative of the type of player he is, he does so many things that are 'pro-level' in the OHL...that's what makes me most excited.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
It's not so much the precision of the shot that impressed me; more the speed at which he assessed and delivered.

Camellari would have stewed the puck at least 2 seconds
What's great about the goal too is what happened before the goal.

Its not like he was just standing there waiting for the team to get him the puck. After the faceoff, there was a bit of a scramble until Galchenyuk got the puck. He then settled his team down, let them get the PP set up, and passed it off to them, which eventually led to the goal.

One of the things we really missed about Markov was his ability to give his teammates those few seconds needed to set up the PP while he calmly controlled the puck. It makes a huge difference and, IMO, was one of the reasons our PP struggled without Markov, as the PP was reduced to dump/chase.

Closed Thread