HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 6.0 - "Gally Got Backhand" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Forsead

vCash: 500
Sick stickhandle, good hands, great wrist shot, good size, big powerful strides, not the most acceleration. He remind me of Kovalev on the wing like that.

The intensity and work in the corner seem to be another level thought.

Last edited by Forsead: 12-11-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old
12-11-2012, 10:25 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post
Wow, unreal highlights. I know people knock gally for not having the best acceleration but he seems to more than make up for it with the power in his stride. He looks unbelievably strong on his skates. Has he been knocked over once this season???
Watch how he sets himself square to the receiver on his passes, which are then rifled at the receiver. It's like watching a very good NFL quarterback. Honest, check it. He's damn quick, and always turns his body toward the play. The kid has style already, and is very aggressive.That's damn good hockey.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Garp

Based on those Highlights, I do see the comparison with Malkin (not in talent but in playing style) that some people made before the draft.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Watch how he sets himself square to the receiver on his passes, which are then rifled at the receiver. It's like watching a very good NFL quarterback. Honest, check it. He's damn quick, and always turns his body toward the play. The kid has style already, and is very aggressive.That's damn good hockey.
I noticed that. It really shows that's he's patiently reading the play even though he plays at such a high intensity. It also takes a hell of a lot of skill to allow yourself the time and space to get set like that. And I love his style. He always seems so intense. It just feels like everyone one on the ice is trying to keep up with his pace and always a few steps behind.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:06 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Wow, unreal highlights. I know people knock gally for not having the best acceleration but he seems to more than make up for it with the power in his stride. He looks unbelievably strong on his skates. Has he been knocked over once this season???
Why can't we talk about what Gally needs to work on without it being that we're "knocking" him? Otherwise this topic would just be 6000 posts gushing over how great he is. It's okay to look at other aspects of a player's game that might need to be improved upon. Doesn't mean we're trying to take him down a peg or anything.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:16 AM
domdo345

The kid really has good hands. But you know what? It has to be expected from a 3rd overall pick. It's been so long since we had a prospect like this that we forget how it is normal for him to be elite. I wonder if I'll ever get used to the dangles he'll pull for years to come. I guess so, but I can hardly believe he's in our system.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:22 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Why can't we talk about what Gally needs to work on without it being that we're "knocking" him? Otherwise this topic would just be 6000 posts gushing over how great he is. It's okay to look at other aspects of a player's game that might need to be improved upon. Doesn't mean we're trying to take him down a peg or anything.
Exactly "knocking" him down and people using the word "hate" when you only try to be objective..

Gally needs to improve his first steps thats true but I dont think thats bad either and that it would prevent him to make the team if the game resume soon in thre NHL.. He has enough tools in his game to help the team IMO..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 12-11-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old
12-11-2012, 11:22 AM
zzoo

Galchenyuk and other 2012 draftees make me wanting Habs to tank again this season (IF there's one).

Old
12-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Picaroon

Quote:
That wasn't really the intention of my post. I was talking about his skating power. Never said you weren't allowed to criticize the guy... If I had I would have been defending his acceleration. By saying it was a "knock" on him all I'm saying is that it's a common point of criticism with Gally. One that I also agree with. His acceleration needs work. Maybe I'll address that in another post, but in this one, I felt like talking about the power in his stride.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:32 AM
jedimyrmidon

Funny how wording makes all the difference:

People knock Gally for ________: individuals are "actively" knocking him for something, perceived negatively

vs.

The knock on Gally is ________: no one is doing the knocking, viewed in a better light

At least, that's how I see it.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Funny how wording makes all the difference:

People knock Gally for ________: individuals are "actively" knocking him for something, perceived negatively

vs.

The knock on Gally is ________: no one is doing the knocking, viewed in a better light

At least, that's how I see it.
That's essentially it. It's always funny to see what people get out of your posts. But to determine that I said "You aren't allowed to criticize Gaklchenyuk" is pretty far off base regardless of how the post was interpreted.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:48 AM
NotProkofievian

I do get the sense that some people force themselves to be critical of Galchenyuk to avoid looking like a homer. It's clear as day when you see it. A little thing becomes a major point of criticism, which, itself is a vote of confidence.

There's really nothing major to pick at with this kid.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I do get the sense that some people force themselves to be critical of Galchenyuk to avoid looking like a homer. It's clear as day when you see it. A little thing becomes a major point of criticism, which, itself is a vote of confidence.

There's nothing wrong with noticing aspects of Galchenyuk's game that need working on. It's not like I'm saying, "well since he has this and this to work on, I don't see him ever being a factor in the NHL." All I pointed out was that his acceleration and top speed are not great - even though I've pointed out several times that his puck-handling and hockey IQ mask those things perfectly - and that his defensive game is very average against tougher opponents.

I still think the kid is going to be a star, not only for the Canadiens, but in the NHL. I'm not criticizing his game for the sake of not looking like a homer, nor to be a negative nancy. Quite the opposite.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
12-11-2012, 11:58 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
That wasn't really the intention of my post. I was talking about his skating power. Never said you weren't allowed to criticize the guy... If I had I would have been defending his acceleration. By saying it was a "knock" on him all I'm saying is that it's a common point of criticism with Gally. One that I also agree with. His acceleration needs work. Maybe I'll address that in another post, but in this one, I felt like talking about the power in his stride.
Quote:
That's essentially it. It's always funny to see what people get out of your posts. But to determine that I said "You aren't allowed to criticize Gaklchenyuk" is pretty far off base regardless of how the post was interpreted.
And, in turn, to determine that I said that you said (confused yet?) that we aren't allowed to criticize Galchenyuk is pretty far off base from my point. I just don't think it's fair that criticism of Galchenyuk is equal to "knocking him", which is a term I always took to be perjorative and insulting, as opposed to being critical and analytical. If you look at some of the "knocking" done by myself, Crimson, That, etc, I think you'll find it's all very balanced and fair, and not just bashing for the sake of it.

But if I interpreted your post wrongly, then I do apologize.

Quote:

Well I agree, and that's probably what magnifies any criticism of him - the fact that he has so little to work on that we have to dig to find stuff he needs to improve, and it makes us look like we're nitpicking. But there's nothing wrong with discussing his game as whole, flaws and all. No player is perfect, and it would be a rather boring discussion indeed if every post one after the other was talking about how good he is and how happy we are to have him.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:00 PM
domdo345

Quote:

this. He needs to work on his skating (like almost any prospects not named Grabner) but he has no major weakness. He is not a 3rd overall pick for nothing. He's not like those 15-30 first round picks we had since 2005 where there's clearly some weaknesses.

The only thing he will need to work on is the maturity of his game. Turnovers in the NHL are costly and often results in a goal against or a penalty. That's not something you can teach to an 18yo playing in the CHL and dominating opposition.

Last edited by domdo345: 12-11-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 12:02 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
There's nothing wrong with noticing aspects of Galchenyuk's game that need working on. It's not like I'm saying, "well since he has this and this to work on, I don't see him ever being a factor in the NHL." All I pointed out was that his acceleration and top speed are not great - even though I've pointed out several times that his puck-handling and hockey IQ mask those things perfectly - and that his defensive game is very average against tougher opponents.

I still think the kid is going to be a star, not only for the Canadiens, but in the NHL. I'm not criticizing his game for the sake of not looking like a homer, nor to be a negative nancy. Quite the opposite.
Not you necessarily, but I do notice it when it becomes more than an in passing "first step could be a bit quicker." Sometimes entire paragraphs are written on how his first step needs to be quicker, or how he's a slow starter in the beginning of games.

It's like "really"? Cuz it kinda seemed like the entire rest of the game he was ****ing **** up.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Not you necessarily, but I do notice it when it becomes more than an in passing "first step could be a bit quicker." Sometimes entire paragraphs are written on how his first step needs to be quicker, or how he's a slow starter in the beginning of games.

It's like "really"? Cuz it kinda seemed like the entire rest of the game he was ****ing **** up.
I don't buy the slow starter thing. His line with Sarault and Boucher are getting the flow of the game and adjusting to the tempo. It's not like he's dogging around, they're getting pinned in their own end and he's turning the puck over every time he touches it.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
I don't buy the slow starter thing. His line with Sarault and Boucher are getting the flow of the game and adjusting to the tempo. It's not like he's dogging around, they're getting pinned in their own end and he's turning the puck over every time he touches it.
Even if it were true, thank goodness it isn't the inverse: slow finisher.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:21 PM
LeMAD

Would it make sense to compare him to Kovalev, maybe with better vision and intensity?

Old
12-11-2012, 12:26 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Would it make sense to compare him to Kovalev, maybe with better vision and intensity?
They have a lot in common, for sure. Let's just hope they don't have everything in common, or here's to 15 years of pulling our hair out

Old
12-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Picaroon

Quote:
And, in turn, to determine that I said that you said (confused yet?) that we aren't allowed to criticize Galchenyuk is pretty far off base from my point. I just don't think it's fair that criticism of Galchenyuk is equal to "knocking him", which is a term I always took to be perjorative and insulting, as opposed to being critical and analytical. If you look at some of the "knocking" done by myself, Crimson, That, etc, I think you'll find it's all very balanced and fair, and not just bashing for the sake of it.

But if I interpreted your post wrongly, then I do apologize.

I think there is just a different interpretation of my use of "knock." If I had said, "a common criticism of Gally's game" (which was my intention) then there wouldn't really be any confusion. To me knock is just another word for criticism and not in a negative way. Anyways, i just think Gally's skating power is sick and it's one of the most noticeable parts of his game to me. It just seems like people start to back down as soon as he gets a solid stride. It's an awesome weapon.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Finally a player who can stickhandle himself into the zone.
Gomez 2.0

Old
12-11-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
lol I don't see it...it's just Habs fans, at least recent one's, tend to compare any player who has sick hands to Kovalev.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Some have argued he is the best drafted prospect in hockey right now. That is debatable.

One thing is clear:

He has his legs back. Very explosive with the puck and is able to stick handle at top speed, a rare quality.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

The defensive areas is also a case we're we are praising by faint condemnations. He obviously has the skills to be a good defensive player (stick work, positioning, skating and grit/tenacity), its just not an area of focus for him right now.

Of course a lot of this may be how we're not used to seeing this level of forward prospect in Montreal. The best guys in recent memory are Subban and Pacioretty who were projects who made good (that does happen even if it isn't as often as we may like) rather than players that was clearly good from the start. The draft is a very different beast in the top 3-5 picks.

Closed Thread