HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kimmo Timonen back to Nashville

Old
11-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Kimmo Timonen back to Nashville

Hypothetically saying a deal is signed in the next week and a 40ish game season happens, what would it take to get Kimmo to Nashville? Veteran guy that has seen better days and is very expensive, but he would be the perfect part-time fill in and mentor to Josi. UFA next offseason.

Not sure of Philly's needs TBH, but I think Schenn-Blum would be a great D pairing for many years. Start the bidding at Blum?

He was our 3rd best D (behind Weber and Suter) and really carried us in the playoffs. Got cocky and out of shape last year, but worked out in Nashville all off-season to be ready. Attitude is fixed, and the talent is there.

Weber-Kimmo
Josi-Klein
Ellis-Gill/Hannan

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:58 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Not worth it for both teams, he is too valuable to Phillly with their D. And he doesn't have much gas in the tank for Nashville to justify trading the assets it would take to get him.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Kimmo+1st for Weber!

Just kiddin'.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Not worth it for both teams, he is too valuable to Phillly with their D. And he doesn't have much gas in the tank for Nashville to justify trading the assets it would take to get him.
Had a feeling this might be the case, but I'm curious to see what Philly fans would agree to.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:38 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Had a feeling this might be the case, but I'm curious to see what Philly fans would agree to.
I'd make a trade of Kimmo for Blum +

Kimmo is our anchor, but we need to look to the future.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I'd make a trade of Kimmo for Blum +

Kimmo is our anchor, but we need to look to the future.
How big would the plus have to be? Kimmo is 1 year from UFA and 37 years old. I think a straight up deal is more than fair.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:45 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
How big would the plus have to be? Kimmo is 1 year from UFA and 37 years old. I think a straight up deal is more than fair.
The + wouldn't be very big. I understand his age and FA, but he's still very good. Blum would be a great piece and something in addition makes it work for Philly.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:51 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
What is Blum projected to be? Idk much about him other then that he was one of your higher end defensive prospects. Does he bring much of an offensive game at all? It seems odd that Nashville would be ok with this if there was not a deficiency in his game and he was your 3rd best d-man last year at such a young age. I realize you have other d prospects knocking on the door, but I can't help but think that there is something to this we are missing

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
What is Blum projected to be? Idk much about him other then that he was one of your higher end defensive prospects. Does he bring much of an offensive game at all? It seems odd that Nashville would be ok with this if there was not a deficiency in his game and he was your 3rd best d-man last year at such a young age. I realize you have other d prospects knocking on the door, but I can't help but think that there is something to this we are missing
PPQB. The issue is that we have Ellis and Josi, who are both also OFD, and management likes Ryan and Roman better.

IMO Blum projects as a very solid 2nd pairing D that can easily play 1st power play and maybe 2nd PK, but after a rough year, a change in scenery could be good for him. He is just redundant for us, while kimmo provides leadership and can play 1st pairing beside Weber (Josi is there now)

Old
11-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Philly is still looking to compete and is already short on top pairing defensemen. I doubt they trade Kimmo, even for Blum.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:27 PM
laundryman

Not sure this works for the Flyers. Our defense is abundant with top 2-6 guys, so if the Flyers are making a move for a defenseman it should be for a number 1. I like the idea of Blum on the Flyers, but I don't think they'd move the proven Timonen for someone who could potentally fill that same role.

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Not a fan of either team...

Timonen
Voracek
Wellwoood

For

Blum
Wilson
Beck/Watson

Good? Bad? Ugly?

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:40 PM
laundryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post

Timonen
Voracek
Wellwoood

For

Blum
Wilson
Beck/Watson

Good? Bad? Ugly?
Isn't Wilson a center? Flyers don't really need more centers and I don't think they'd move Voracek to get one.

The value is there but not sure it works

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
Isn't Wilson a center? Flyers don't really need more centers and I don't think they'd move Voracek to get one.

The value is there but not sure it works
No, he's primarily a winger these days.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:17 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:

Timonen
Voracek
Wellwoood

For

Blum
Wilson
Beck/Watson

Good? Bad? Ugly?
Philly has no reason to move Voracek hes going to be a first line winger with Giroux this year

Old
11-30-2012, 07:21 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
PPQB. The issue is that we have Ellis and Josi, who are both also OFD, and management likes Ryan and Roman better.

IMO Blum projects as a very solid 2nd pairing D that can easily play 1st power play and maybe 2nd PK, but after a rough year, a change in scenery could be good for him. He is just redundant for us, while kimmo provides leadership and can play 1st pairing beside Weber (Josi is there now)
I mean I would probably do it as its another young d-man to let grow with the team and Timonen realistically only has a couple of years left if that. But from a management standpoint he is a leader in the lockerroom and one of the few vets we have as well as one of the longest tenured Flyers on the roster. Let's just say it would surprise me if they moved him but at the same time it is Holmgren and if he feels it will make the team better he will do it. Timonen also has a NMC so that has to be taken into consideration as well, however being a former captain of your squad probably qualms any issues there... but who knows maybe he likes it here?

Old
11-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:

Timonen
Voracek
Wellwoood

For

Blum
Wilson
Beck/Watson

Good? Bad? Ugly?
Done

Old
11-30-2012, 10:34 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Hypothetically saying a deal is signed in the next week and a 40ish game season happens, what would it take to get Kimmo to Nashville? Veteran guy that has seen better days and is very expensive, but he would be the perfect part-time fill in and mentor to Josi. UFA next offseason.

Not sure of Philly's needs TBH, but I think Schenn-Blum would be a great D pairing for many years. Start the bidding at Blum?

He was our 3rd best D (behind Weber and Suter) and really carried us in the playoffs. Got cocky and out of shape last year, but worked out in Nashville all off-season to be ready. Attitude is fixed, and the talent is there.

Weber-Kimmo
Josi-Klein
Ellis-Gill/Hannan
I bolded the part that I consider important, because I was hoping (if there is/was/will be a season) Kimmo will mentor Luke Schenn a bit, and serve as a bit of a calming presence for Luke, while Luke serves as some physical protection to his mentor, as Kimmo is often targeted by fore-checkers for some heavy hits.

On top of Schenn, the Flyers have 4 tweener defensemen who could all use some Kimmo mentoring (Gustafsson especially, Bourdon, Manning, and Lauridsen, and maybe even Gothisbehere in a couple years?). With our thin prospect pool, there is hope that out of the 5 of those dmen, we can fill our bottom 3 NHL D-spots in the next 3-5 seasons.

I certainly don't want to use the word untouchable, but you are asking for an extreme fan favorite, and a player we still desperately need, especially now that Pronger is likely out of the picture. The timing is bad.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:20 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm not too concerned about the defense, so I think I'd rather spend the money/resources elsewhere. But that's just me.

12-01-2012, 12:35 PM
YuioIklo

Kimmo will probably retire as soon as next year, so I guess the Flyers would be willing to trade him if they don't think they have a chance to win the cup. Picks, young guys, etc. If they wanna make a cup run, they will keep him, though.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Soundgarden

If we still had Suter, or if we were even playing hockey this year, I would probably do Blum+ a pick for Kimmo, but he is getting older and with Suter gone we are further away from contention.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote