HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Thread IX: All in the game, yo. All in the game.

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 06:07 PM
TMI
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
NHL Lockout Thread IX: All in the game, yo. All in the game.

Continue

11-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

This entire thing is starting to remind me of the song boulevard of broken dreams.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:40 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Down the road we will look back on this as a huge failure on both ends. Hockey was gaining so much momentum. It actually meant something and average fans were tuning in, even if it was little by little. They had a name behind the television deal that was no longer OLN and garbage like that. NBC Sports.... and a Winter Classic that people loved.

Even as a diehard myself, I find myself just not caring. Like IDuck said, I find myself enjoying time to myself. Doing the things I like to do. Investing into a team for 82 games + is a lot of work. If they don't want to pay me back by agreeing to a deal and still making good money... then I can easily move on my own way.

I'm not saying this out of anger or anything... but my investment back into this game will be a decently long road. I used to hate missing any playoff games. Now.. I'm just going to think about he NEXT lockout.
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out with the fans. As has been pointed out, when their finally is a season again, there won't be a large down turn in season tickets (especially in Canadian/larger markets) as people don't want to give them up while there's a demand. But if the casual fan no longer has an interest, and isn't looking to buy after-market tickets from the season holders, then some of them won't renew tickets because they can't offload the games they can't attend which could make it cost prohibitive. Couple that with a likely (at least short term) decrease in fan apparel as a 'protest vote', reduce commitment from sponsorship and people deciding they can do without $10 beer at the hockey and the growth of the game in the next decade could be in a lot of trouble

Old
11-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

vCash: 827
Great season so far. Biggest offseason ever for Minnesota is of course followed by a lockout.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Freudian
Ready for some hokey

vCash: 50
I think there is a decent chance that at least one of the parties, probably both, aren't that interested in mediation but had to say yes to it when approached just to pretend they are negotiating in good faith.

Then when this is done with in a couple of days we'll go back to the regular schedule of not getting a deal done.

The owners think they have enough leverage through players not getting paid and players think they have leverage through threatening with decertification.

Hope I'm wrong.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Mediation is just being done for optics. Either side is serious about making a deal. Please don't expect anything of any substance to come from tomorrow.

The only reason Gary and Donald wanted a mediator was because an XL pizza is too big for two people to eat but is just right for three.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:51 PM
go_leafs_go02

Last edited by spiny norman: 11-28-2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: replaced with clean version
Old
11-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Kirk Muller

mediation is just on the checklist for the NHLPA if they want to ever go the de-certification route. Its a sham. The NHL had to go along with it simply for PR reasons.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:59 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
You get to the point where you pretty much hope there's long-term financial damage done to the NHL. Like, big time.

Incompetence, foolishness, and egomaniacal children

Old
11-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Twilight Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
You get to the point where you pretty much hope there's long-term financial damage done to the NHL. Like, big time.

So you're hoping the NHL signs the PA proposal am I correct?

Old
11-28-2012, 12:50 AM
Astoria
#ILEquestrian

So, how many lockout threads are we gonna have racked up here on HF before NHL/NHLPA Apocalypse 2012-2013 finally ends?

There are a handful of posters here that have "met" more times than the NHL and NHLPA have met....

Last edited by Astoria: 11-28-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old
11-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Mcikinzom

De-certification is the final nail in the coffin for the NHL if it happens. If you have hope that there might be shortened season this year, i would start worrying about no hockey being played all the way through next season. Its a long messy process with tons of red tape.

The NHL failing would actually be good for hockey in the long term. Even if it does return we might see a decrease in the amount of teams that will lead to a better talent pool, as well as a smaller TV deal and a lessened demand will decrease the price of the product. But that is just a pipe dream. See you next lockout!

Old
11-28-2012, 03:11 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfanneedsdrink View Post
De-certification is the final nail in the coffin for the NHL if it happens. If you have hope that there might be shortened season this year, i would start worrying about no hockey being played all the way through next season. Its a long messy process with tons of red tape.

The NHL failing would actually be good for hockey in the long term. Even if it does return we might see a decrease in the amount of teams that will lead to a better talent pool, as well as a smaller TV deal and a lessened demand will decrease the price of the product. But that is just a pipe dream. See you next lockout!
It would kill the Oilers too...

Old
11-28-2012, 04:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Look at this comment

Quote:
“The league has become known for lying to its fans, to its sponsors,” said Ed O’Hara, senior partner of New York-based SME Branding, which helped devise the strategy for the NHL eight years ago and still counts the league among its clients.

“I don’t know how you come back from a prolonged stoppage a second time because it is unprecedented,” O’Hara said. “Brands are built on promises. In this case, the promised experiences of seeing the greatest athletes in the world. That’s all gone now.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...f15_story.html

O'Hara isn't getting an invite to the NHL Christmas party. It seems Fehr and the players aren't the only ones who don't really trust Gary.

The league has become known for lying to its fans,to its sponsors.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:28 AM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Look at this comment

O'Hara isn't getting an invite to the NHL Christmas party. It seems Fehr and the players aren't the only ones who don't really trust Gary.

It's a tricky thing balancing the business with very hardline owners on one hand and promising the world to sponsors. League's go to move is to lockout the players and then Fehr getting the seat in 2009. Everyone should've seen this coming. Even sponsors, no matter what promises were made.

NBC atleast covered it's bases with getting the free year tacked on the end of their deal.

Last edited by OGBobbyFarnham: 11-28-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old
11-28-2012, 05:47 AM
PBPantherfan
#draft is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Look at this comment

I wonder what the lockout has done for the reps of the players. I used to think hockey players were the best group of professional athletes. But with some of the idiotic statements they have tweeted, bad interviews and the Puck Gary hats etc they seem more like spoiled children. I understand if they want to cut off there nose to spite their face in these negotiation on "principle" I think its stupid but I could at least understand. But at least act like a grown up during negotiations and stop with the poor pitiful me act.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:17 AM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post
Great season so far. Biggest offseason ever for Minnesota is of course followed by a lockout.
Try being a Ranger fan, coming off your best season in 15 years going to the ECF since 97 and get the final missing element to a legit Stanley Cup contender and in some peoples eyes the favorite to win the cup. Also having an Elite goalie coming off a Vezina winning season in the middle of his prime at 30 and might lose a year of his career.

I feel your pain in Minnesota. I feel for the people of Los Angeles the most as I would have been honored and loved to have seen my team have the honor to open the season against the defending champs watching them raise the banner to hopefully give inspiration to my team. I feel for guys like Selanne and the people of Anaheim. I feel for Ottawa and Alfie. Hell, I even feel for Devils fans who just lost their captain and Brodeur's last game could have been played which would be a shame. Same goes for Jagr. The guy is going through his 3rd lockout and left the league for 3 years. So dominating that if there weren't 3 lockouts and he didn't leave for 3 years he could have had close to 2,000 points. I feel for the Jets fans after 16 years of having no hockey, suddenly come back for a year and now are stuck with no hockey again. This should have been a great season with great storylines. Now well be lucky if we can get a watered down 50 game season.

But most of all, I feel sorry for al of us fans who have post here everyday talking about the same thing going on 30 plus threads. No doubt about it while the NHL doesn't have the biggest stadiums or best ratings or best attendance overall, But without a doubt we collectively as a group of fans are the most passionate,hardcore,dedicated, live and die by your team type fanbase over the other big 3 without question. Fans that will always go to the games and watch and keep their season tickets when the team is in 1st or in 30th. Or going through over 2,000 cancelled games in 20 years and still come back like a junkie to a needle. That is dedication. We are all suckers.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Ser Woof
Useful Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post

But most of all, I feel sorry for al of us fans who have post here everyday talking about the same thing going on 30 plus threads.
People have spent that much time talking about the lockout?

Quote:
No doubt about it while the NHL doesn't have the biggest stadiums or best ratings or best attendance overall, But without a doubt we collectively as a group of fans are the most passionate,hardcore,dedicated, live and die by your team type fanbase over the other big 3 without question.
Every league has fans like that though. I don't think anyone is particularly more passionate, hardcore or dedicated than anyone else when it comes to sports leagues and it would be impossible to quantify.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:26 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post

I was at this point months ago. I seriously hope the league crumbles. This lockout makes absolutely no sense. I blame both sides but it's very hard for me to not come down on the owners and bettman when we have sat through 3 work stoppages in less than 2 decades. That is shameful. But Bettman will still be here, and so will more work stoppages in the future.

You just climbed out of the hole that the last work stoppage brought you...and decide to dive headfirst back into the hole. They deserve to get destroyed and I hope they do.

I stopped following baseball when a season was lost. It won't be hard for me to stop following the NHL

Old
11-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
It's a tricky thing balancing the business with very hardline owners on one hand and promising the world to sponsors. League's go to move is to lockout the players and then Fehr getting the seat in 2009. Everyone should've seen this coming. Even sponsors, no matter what promises were made.

NBC atleast covered it's bases with getting the free year tacked on the end of their deal.
I believe I read something with a sponsor that said the contracts with sponsors have a clause to provide some protection to them in case of a lockout but they cited that it was still disappointing that the lockout was happening. Between that particular comment, NBC's arrangement and Molson saying that there will be compensation I would think that it is very likely that the NHL has structured the contracts with their sponsors to provide some compensation or protection in the event of a lockout. I also think that if the league hadn't protected their interests by providing that stipulation to their sponsors, they wouldn't be in any position to carry on a lockout for this length of time.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:39 AM
delirium trigger

Lol, I like how the mood has instantly changed to somber and commiserative literaly over night.
....I'm so depressed.....

Old
11-28-2012, 07:44 AM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I was at this point months ago. I seriously hope the league crumbles. This lockout makes absolutely no sense. I blame both sides but it's very hard for me to not come down on the owners and bettman when we have sat through 3 work stoppages in less than 2 decades. That is shameful. But Bettman will still be here, and so will more work stoppages in the future.

You just climbed out of the hole that the last work stoppage brought you...and decide to dive headfirst back into the hole. They deserve to get destroyed and I hope they do.

I stopped following baseball when a season was lost. It won't be hard for me to stop following the NHL
Lol who are we fooling, there isn't a big league game that is as fast, action packed and unique as hockey. We'll be back.

Last edited by TMI: 11-28-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: no
Old
11-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Gus Fring

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Mediation meeting between the NHL and NHLPA is scheduled for 1pm today.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:59 AM
buggs
A storm is coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
I wonder what the lockout has done for the reps of the players. I used to think hockey players were the best group of professional athletes. But with some of the idiotic statements they have tweeted, bad interviews and the Puck Gary hats etc they seem more like spoiled children. I understand if they want to cut off there nose to spite their face in these negotiation on "principle" I think its stupid but I could at least understand. But at least act like a grown up during negotiations and stop with the poor pitiful me act.
Yeah, I didn't think at any point I would be considering NBA players as more mature than NHL players but it happened. There are still great players/individuals in both leagues but based on broad generalization I've got to say as a group, NBA players conduct themselves better.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Zuko View Post
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Mediation meeting between the NHL and NHLPA is scheduled for 1pm today.
Mediation won't do any good if both sides aren't willing to listen to what the suggestions are. It remains to be seen but unless mediation is used as a way to save face and say 'I tried' before one side gives in more, this mediation will likely result in a demonstration of 'good faith' while neither party may be interested in hearing something other than what they want to hear.

By the way, can the contents of mediation be discussed publicy by either party?

Closed Thread