HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

The Sitwell Enterprises League Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 04:53 PM
dbridge

vCash: 500
I think we can maybe keep that games at 50% played, 50% simmed, but sim it so the last block will be played. The last one is the most intense one for making the playoffs, so I think it would be fun for people to have the last games in their own hands, but still keep the ratio at 50/50.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:55 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsgaudet View Post
awesome, i know people are going get annoyed, and i understand its against the model of a team that plays and sims well, but i think it should come down to skill and how you play to make it into the playoffs, makes for tighter races, and more challenging opponents. I mean its only the last few weeks of the season and then the playoffs, playing skill should factor into the mold now.
The problem with playing the last 20 games is the fact that some people signed up for a hybrid or a "50-50" league because they cant exactly compete with the likes of a BigLund or others in the league.

A 50-50 league creates parity and allows a good hockey mind to build a solid simming team, even if they arn't as skilled as others. They stand a chance to make the playoffs, but if we start playing the last 20 games of each season, we'll see the same 8/16 faces in the playoffs every year.

Not what I signed up for to be honest. (Even tho I have no doubt I would make the playoffs based on games played).

I realize this is an affiliate of Bluth, but who's actually running this league? And does it have to be identical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbridge92 View Post
I think we can maybe keep that games at 50% played, 50% simmed, but sim it so the last block will be played. The last one is the most intense one for making the playoffs, so I think it would be fun for people to have the last games in their own hands, but still keep the ratio at 50/50.
This makes much more sense.

Changing rules mid-season is like people ordering a steak dinner and getting spam.

Last edited by ChuckWoods: 12-12-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old
12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Firefoxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbridge92 View Post
This. Just make sure the last sim is the 2nd last block so the last block is played. Though it doesn't really matter to me since the way my team is trending I'm falling fast.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
The problem with playing the last 20 games is the fact that some people signed up for a hybrid or a "50-50" league because they cant exactly compete with the likes of a BigLund or others in the league.

A 50-50 league creates parity and allows a good hockey mind to build a solid simming team, even if they aren't as skilled as others. They stand a chance to make the playoffs, but if we start playing the last 20 games of each season, we'll see the same 8/16 faces in the playoffs every year.

Not what I signed up for to be honest. (Even tho I have no doubt I would make the playoffs based on games played).
I think this is exactly the point.

I've got a better playing record than simming record, and maybe I won't get into the playoffs with 50/50, but that's the chance you take.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Firefoxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post

A 50-50 league creates parity and allows a good hockey mind to build a solid simming team, even if they arn't as skilled as others. They stand a chance to make the playoffs, but if we start playing the last 20 games of each season, we'll see the same 8/16 faces in the playoffs every year.

I realize this is an affiliate of Bluth, but who's actually running this league? And does it have to be identical?

This makes much more sense.

Changing rules mid-season is like people ordering a steak dinner and getting spam.
I actually think there will be some playoff turnover. Some people will get better by playing better teams and learning, and most are still trying to get teams that cater to their own style.

I actually think the majority of the league is around the same skill level (with a few exceptions on either end) with most being able to take games from the other on any given day. For example, both you and Jack are better players than I am, yet I've managed to take games from both of you because I'm not THAT much worse lol. Once people start learning and adapting more most games will be up for grabs.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

I am not in favor of changing core rules 3/4 of the way through a season.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Jack de la Hoya

This is what I suggest:

1) Handle the remainder of this season as planned, alternating playable and simulated windows. I can't support a change to a major facet of the league 1 day before the trading deadline, and I think shifting the balance is unwise--it will add a week to this season, and over the next few months, if we do the same thing each year, could easily cost us a season later.

2) If there is a strong consensus to have more playable games going into the playoffs, then, beginning next season, do a triple advance to the trade deadline, and leave the last three windows playable. Basically, take one of the scheduled simulated periods from the end of the season and place it in the middle of the season. That way, we retain the 50/50 balance of played and simulated games, but also allow for a bit more late-season movement.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 12-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old
12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
noexult

Changing a league from 1/2 simmed 1/2 played to 1/3 simmed and 2/3 played is a HUGE change which totally ruins the concept of this league.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:35 PM
ThePsychicSaw

I also am NOT in favor of changing protocol here.

Keep the pace, my biggest draw to this league, because of convenience and competition. Having Sims more prominently adds another factor for us gm's to balance. It's much more interesting and sets thus league apart.

Ideally the last block should be played out, if not possible this year, you do it so next year it will.

Only playoff games should all be played.

Stick to your guns, league is doing great no need for this shakeup.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:55 AM
noexult

Any reason why you don't respond, slightlystewpid420?

Old
12-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Trade deadline is tonight.

I think we need to resolve the scheduling issue as well. From what I can tel here, most seem to prefer to keep the existing schedule in place, at least for this season. Though, to be far, most of the league's GMs haven't commented on the matter.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:21 AM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexult View Post
he's high?

Old
12-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Are you trying to call him out? Does he need to respond within a set timeframe?

Old
12-13-2012, 09:48 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Reading as many opinions as possible before making a decision?

Old
12-13-2012, 09:52 AM
matt1396

I say keep things the way they are, so 1/2 games simmed, and 1/2 games played. That is one of the reasons people joined this league.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:23 AM
ThePsychicSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1396 View Post
I say keep things the way they are, so 1/2 games simmed, and 1/2 games played. That is one of the reasons people joined this league.
^^^^

Old
12-13-2012, 11:33 AM
slightlystewpid420

Well it seems like most of the league (at least those who have voiced there opinions) wants it to stay the way it is so much I guess we'll keep simming. Which means tonight is the deadline and a double advance will occur.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Well it seems like most of the league (at least those who have voiced there opinions) wants it to stay the way it is so much I guess we'll keep simming. Which means tonight is the deadline and a double advance will occur.
Good.

Now, someone trade with me!

Old
12-13-2012, 11:51 AM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
I think this is 100% the correct decision.

But maybe we could ensure that the final block isn't simmed so it does make some sort of competition for seeding in the playoffs.

Teams can certainly gain ground in the last block.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Jack de la Hoya

EDIT: Yaaaay. Game-time.

EDIT--I'll give you one, that was awful.

EDIT--aaaand no hockey karma. WTF. deflection right to your guy.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 12-13-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 04:16 PM
HaroldDruken

vCash: 769
Wow Dallas... You're a real POS. stockey attempts all game and one finally pays off for ya.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Jack de la Hoya

I don't see the explanation of either the "Stockey" or "Price" system in the rules for Sitwell. Might be useful for the non-Bluth guys to add that on the front page, so it is clear.

Where's that diagram from the playoff thread? That thing was great!

Old
12-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Stockey
Let's Go Buffalo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldDruken View Post
Wow Dallas... You're a real POS. stockey attempts all game and one finally pays off for ya.
hey keep me out of this

Old
12-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Firefoxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I don't see the explanation of either the "Stockey" or "Price" system in the rules for Sitwell. Might be useful for the non-Bluth guys to add that on the front page, so it is clear.
I was just going to say this. Like a "stockey" is throwing it on net off the rush specifically looking for a rebound again and again? Or rebounds in general?

A big part of my game is using the point to set up passes and/or take shots for tips and rebounds (because my D have the right skill set and good ratings I tend to use them more than most people). My forwards are pretty terrible so pretty passing plays don't work well, but if it's the off the rush thing then I'm good (seems like a wasted opportunity to just throw it on net and hope to be honest).

Old
12-13-2012, 04:39 PM
noexult

My goal that went in after a rebound was a shot that went from just outside the faceoff circle and almost straight on your goalie...but I wouldn't mind looking at a replay if u have one, since u r calling me out here. Where did all my shots go, if u have a screenshot? I can understand that u don't like to lose, and in particular if u feel that I was abusing an exploit, which I wouldn't, nor could I. My skill level is not that high...sorry that u feel that way though.

Closed Thread