HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best HABS goalie of all-time

View Poll Results: greatest goalie to play for Habs
Plante 22 53.66%
Dryden 4 9.76%
Roy 15 36.59%
other 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-29-2012, 10:18 PM
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

vCash: 500
Best HABS goalie of all-time

Who was the Habs' greatest goalie DURING their time with the Habs only?

intylerwetrust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Although he may have more career accomplishments, in terms of accomplishments as a Hab, Roy is third behind Plante and Dryden.

I'd rank the top Hab goalies of all time in the following manner, taking into account accomplishments as a Hab only:

Plante
Dryden
Roy
Durnan
Hainsworth
Vezina
Worsley
Theodore

Story has yet to written on Price.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Vezina seems kind of low there, no? How about Wilf Cude? Should be in the Theodore area, I'd think? Just wondering...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Vezina seems kind of low there, no? How about Wilf Cude? Should be in the Theodore area, I'd think? Just wondering...
My research indicates Vezina is more legend than great. He happened to die and because he died the Habs donated a trophy in his honour. Hainsworth dominated his position more than Vezina ever did. Same with Durnan.

Theodore did win the Hart, and had a couple of other very good years, so it's tough not to include him some. Is Cude even in the HOF?

Old
11-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
My research indicates Vezina is more legend than great. He happened to die and because he died the Habs donated a trophy in his honour. Hainsworth dominated his position more than Vezina ever did. Same with Durnan.

Theodore did win the Hart, and had a couple of other very good years, so it's tough not to include him some. Is Cude even in the HOF?
Ah, I see. The research in the Goaltenders Project suggests that Hainsworth was just numbers and wasn't well respected at the time (relative to what we'd think based on stats). While Vezina was almost universally touted as fantastic. But I'm not here to start a debate on it, it was just a curious inquisition...

No, Cude is certainly not in the HHOF...Theodore isn't exactly on a one-way ticket there himself, so I figure they would be close. If Iginla simply breaks that tie, I wonder how that changes things - even if not for you specifically - but in general...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Going with Patrick Roy here.

11-30-2012, 10:23 AM
jkrx

How about McNeil and Hodge? And with the exception for the Hart year I always though Hackett was better in Habs than Theodore.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
How about McNeil and Hodge? And with the exception for the Hart year I always though Hackett was better in Habs than Theodore.
Yeah, once you get past Worsley, it's debateable who the next guy is. Even Vachon could get a look. Basically chose Theodore because of the Hart, because that's the only thing that separates himself from a large pack of good, but not great goalies.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Ah, I see. The research in the Goaltenders Project suggests that Hainsworth was just numbers and wasn't well respected at the time (relative to what we'd think based on stats). While Vezina was almost universally touted as fantastic. But I'm not here to start a debate on it, it was just a curious inquisition...

No, Cude is certainly not in the HHOF...Theodore isn't exactly on a one-way ticket there himself, so I figure they would be close. If Iginla simply breaks that tie, I wonder how that changes things - even if not for you specifically - but in general...
I could be wrong on Vezina/Hainsworth. That era of hockey history certainly isn't my forte.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:19 AM
JaymzB

Quote:

I'd say Carey Price may have already passed Cude. He was only starter for 4 years with the Habs, never won a playoff series, and never lead the NHL in a positive category while with the Habs. Price at least won a playoff series, and lead the league in Wins once. Neither played for the Habs during a strong time in the clubs history.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:23 PM
SealsFan

I voted for Plante, but these guys are personal faves....

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:41 PM
ushvinder

I would say Roy is right there with Dryden just based on his Habs career. He won 3 vezinas, lead the league in save% for 1988, 2nd team all star in 1991, 3rd best goalie in 1994, and then 2 conn smythes. Dryden's accomplishments are on a loaded team and his career as a hab was much shorter.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Big Phil

Hard to imagine this being anyone but Plante. Roy is #2, but if you did a poll on whether he was a better Hab or Av the truth is there'd be some Av votes (although I prefer him as a Hab). The question is, would Roy's 10 years trump Plante's 10 years? Let's not forget, that other than being a vital cog of a dynasty with arguably one retro-Smythe, he also won the Hart in 1962. Got to give it to Plante because Roy's career with Colorado is nearly equal as well

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:47 PM
MXD

I wonder where to put Vachon...
I mean, he won two Cups, and was a starter for one of them.

Carey Price certainly passed Wilf Cude. Certainly passed Jeff Hackett as well. Some tend to forget that Hackett really only played two seasons with the Habs, and Carey Price had already beaten him as far as Top-10's are concerned... after his ROOKIE season.

Vachon would be ahead of Hackett and Cude as well.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
I voted for Plante, but these guys are personal faves....
Yep. Charlie Hodge was my favourite as a kid for a coupla years there when he was with Montreal, more so than than the Gumper actually. And Wayne Thomas, well, he wound up in Toronto as you know, and upon retirement, became a Cop. Lengthy career apparently.

Plante
Dryden
Roy

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote