HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

WWAC Top 60 Prospects Ranking for the 2014 NHL Draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2014, 07:37 PM
  #1
WeWantACup
HFB Partner
 
WeWantACup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 498
vCash: 500
WWAC Top 60 Prospects Ranking for the 2014 NHL Draft

Scott Wheeler
01/27/2014
Top 60 Prospects Ranking for the 2014 NHL Draft

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/...2014-nhl-draft



WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 07:46 PM
  #2
scottcwheeler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
If you have any questions regarding any of the prospects or their placement, don't hesitate to ask.

scottcwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:44 PM
  #3
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 712
vCash: 500
What is this based off of?

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:47 PM
  #4
scottcwheeler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
What is this based off of?
2+ years and countless hours of scouting this draft class.

scottcwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 11:06 PM
  #5
ChiGuySez
Showtime
 
ChiGuySez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
Martin Brycen?

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 11:29 PM
  #6
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser
 
Sartorial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
I like seeing Honka this high. Sometimes I feel puck possession d-man are underrated.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 12:48 AM
  #7
Cujomi
YNWA
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcwheeler View Post
If you have any questions regarding any of the prospects or their placement, don't hesitate to ask.
Who do you see Lemieux and Tuch comparing to in the NHL and what kind of upside do these guys have as big, strong forwards?

Also why has Oskar Lindblom dropped so far in the draft? He's already a big, strong two-way player who skates well...is it a lack of perceived offensive upside?

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 01:00 PM
  #8
scottcwheeler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial View Post
I like seeing Honka this high. Sometimes I feel puck possession d-man are underrated.
You'll notice that's a theme amongst many of my placements. Players who are generally strong possession players (forwards or defensemen) are, nearly always, a better selection at the top end of a draft than a big, strong frame who struggles moving up and down the ice. Players like Tyler Biggs being selected ahead of Saad, Jurco, etc. speak to this.

It's also a big reason the likes of Chatham and Peters didn't factor into my top 60 for this year's draft.

scottcwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 01:13 PM
  #9
scottcwheeler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Who do you see Lemieux and Tuch comparing to in the NHL and what kind of upside do these guys have as big, strong forwards?

Also why has Oskar Lindblom dropped so far in the draft? He's already a big, strong two-way player who skates well...is it a lack of perceived offensive upside?
First, it's important to note that Tuch and Lemieux are progressing at very different rates. Lemieux has the strength and the strong release but his skating still has a ways to go and he's not strong with the puck, more of a give and go player (think Mark Stone).

Tuch on the other hand uses his frame more to his advantage and is already a better skater, it's rare you see someone with Tuch's reach and size skate and carry the puck as smoothly as he does. The perfect comparison for Tuch is a stronger Blake Wheeler with a slower top-speed.

As for Lindblom, he's a very strong two-way player and he has been good internationally (Ivan Hlinka stands out) as well as with the Brynas junior program but he's yet to really stand out or take any of his skills to the next level. Where he's at this year is pretty much where he was last year when he had the interest of scouts at a high, hence his regression to the 2nd and 3rd rounds for many.

scottcwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 01:34 PM
  #10
drw02
#CavingforConnor
 
drw02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 2,380
vCash: 500
Why do you prefer Barbashev over McCann? Who do you see as NHL comparables for those two?

And why Johnathan Macleod over Josh Jacobs? Jacobs seems like the much better two way defensemen. Macleod doesn't look to me like he'll be anything more than a bottom pair NHL D-man at best.

drw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 03:48 PM
  #11
scottcwheeler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drw02 View Post
Why do you prefer Barbashev over McCann? Who do you see as NHL comparables for those two?

And why Johnathan Macleod over Josh Jacobs? Jacobs seems like the much better two way defensemen. Macleod doesn't look to me like he'll be anything more than a bottom pair NHL D-man at best.
Barbashev is flat out more gifted than McCann. He's a much better skater and he's got higher end offensive potential. McCann is the more complete player but within the top 15 players in a draft year, the elite talent always trumps out and Barbashev has that.

Barbashev comparable: A bigger, less gifted but more aware Gaborik (if he progresses extremely well).
McCann comparable: Brandon Dubinsky.

As for Jonathan MacLeod and Josh Jacobs, while I'm not normally fond of the stay-at-home defensemen, MacLeod is that consummate leader and absolute rock on the back-end that does have a place in many top-4s. Jacobs has a strong outlet and is a better skater but he's by no means a top-tier d-man offensively, nor will he bay, more of a two way type. MacLeod's leadership and steadiness are a too much to force him back too far, he's a coach's player.

MacLeod comparable: Eric Brewer/Brooks Orpik type.
Jacobs comparable: Ron Hainsey.

scottcwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 09:45 PM
  #12
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcwheeler View Post
Barbashev is flat out more gifted than McCann. He's a much better skater and he's got higher end offensive potential. McCann is the more complete player but within the top 15 players in a draft year, the elite talent always trumps out and Barbashev has that.

Barbashev comparable: A bigger, less gifted but more aware Gaborik (if he progresses extremely well).
McCann comparable: Brandon Dubinsky
This is the definition of biased. Why is only one player allowed to 'progress really well'?

My initial reaction is to think you are overrating Barbashev because he's Russian. The fact that you state such a difference is worrisome, as I believe most of the scouting community would say McCann is more naturally offensive than IB. It's very close. McCann's a better skater BTW.

__________________
DRAFTBUZZ HOCKEY
2015 NHL Draft Preliminary Ranking
Twitter
Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:48 AM
  #13
scottcwheeler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
This is the definition of biased. Why is only one player allowed to 'progress really well'?

My initial reaction is to think you are overrating Barbashev because he's Russian. The fact that you state such a difference is worrisome, as I believe most of the scouting community would say McCann is more naturally offensive than IB. It's very close. McCann's a better skater BTW.
It's not about allowing someone to progress better than another. Putting comparables together requires you find the right player and Barbashev is an interesting player to pin because of his size and skill set. Because nobody really fits the bill, Gaborik's skills and style fit well, except Barbashev has better vision and the tendency to pass instead of shoot.

I've not seen anything to suggest McCann is a better offensive prospect at this stage in his development than Barbashev. McCann is definitely not the better skater either, and it showed best at Ivan Hlinka. This isn't to knock McCann, as he's a great player and they were closely ranked together for a reason.

scottcwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:51 AM
  #14
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcwheeler View Post
It's not about allowing someone to progress better than another. Putting comparables together requires you find the right player and Barbashev is an interesting player to pin because of his size and skill set. Because nobody really fits the bill, Gaborik's skills and style fit well, except Barbashev has better vision and the tendency to pass instead of shoot.

I've not seen anything to suggest McCann is a better offensive prospect at this stage in his development than Barbashev. McCann is definitely not the better skater either, and it showed best at Ivan Hlinka. This isn't to knock McCann, as he's a great player and they were closely ranked together for a reason.
How do you account for Barbashev's physicality and NA style game when comparing him to Gaborik? He's not an elite talent. He is very good at getting to the net and hawking for his chances. He's skilled enough to capitalize on them.

I like them both a lot. Ekblad looked no better than Alex Peters at the Hlinka selection camp, which I attended. That doesn't mean much - fortunately for your argument, Barbashev has been every bit reliable and consistent throughout the season.

To scout based off a rust shaking tournament in August (nearly 5 months ago, which is an eternity considering how fast players in their draft year develop) is misleading.

The irony is Brandon Dubinsky is more fitting for Ivan Barbashev.

Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:19 PM
  #15
scottcwheeler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
How do you account for Barbashev's physicality and NA style game when comparing him to Gaborik? He's not an elite talent. He is very good at getting to the net and hawking for his chances. He's skilled enough to capitalize on them.

I like them both a lot. Ekblad looked no better than Alex Peters at the Hlinka selection camp, which I attended. That doesn't mean much - fortunately for your argument, Barbashev has been every bit reliable and consistent throughout the season.

To scout based off a rust shaking tournament in August (nearly 5 months ago, which is an eternity considering how fast players in their draft year develop) is misleading.

The irony is Brandon Dubinsky is more fitting for Ivan Barbashev.
Funny thing, I too was at the Hlinka selection camp (each day). I'm not basing McCann's skating off of one tournament, I was using it as an example because international ice gives you the best feel for a player's agility and top-speed and Hlinka was the last time McCann played on international ice, whether it was 5 months ago or not.

As for Barbashev, a willingness to compete and back-check doesn't make him a North American style player. He's still extremely skilled and the more skilled of the pair.

scottcwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.