HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

EA Pulls Medal of Honor ‘Out of Rotation’

Old
01-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

vCash: 500

COO calls Warfighter an “obvious miss.”

Quote:
EA has pulled Medal of Honor “out of the rotation.” During an earnings call for the third quarter of its 2013 fiscal year today, EA COO Peter Moore explained that the series encountered poor commercial and critical reception, leading to the decision.

“We are taking Medal of Honor out of the rotation,” Moore said, calling Medal of Honor Warfighter an “obvious miss.” Moore pointed to slow sales for the entire industry as well as “poor critical and commercial reception” for Warfighter as reasons for the series decline, calling reviews “lower than it deserved.”

“This one is behind us now,” Moore said. “We are taking Medal of Honor out of the rotation, and have a plan to bring year-over-year continuity to our shooter offerings.”

“Frankly, we missed on Medal of Honor,” added EA Labels president Frank Gibeau, "and we take responsibility for that.”

Medal of Honor Warfighter was released in October 2012 and received a 4.0 from IGN.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:03 PM
chasespace

calling reviews “lower than it deserved.”

I was one of the ten people to play Warfighter, it deserved those terrible reviews.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Psyfer
Thrashers forever

MOHAA was 1 of mine favorite games back in the day spent way to much time playing online, to bad series been so bad since.

Psyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Fantastic news, the gaming community needs less generic, unimaginitive, uninspiring and wannabecod FPS games. It's a shame since it is such a classic series, but it was needed. They slaughtered the series with Warfighter. Seen from a popular music perspective, they just wanted to be the next Justin Bieber with that game, god it was awful

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

mistake

Last edited by Belamorte: 01-30-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Belamorte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:47 PM
BeBen*

The simple fact that they have a ''rotation'' is what's wrong in the gaming world of today

Bring us some god damn original IPs for ****'s sake

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:00 AM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Problem is that no 'suits' are willing to go out on a limb and experiment with a new IP. I hate it as much as you but it is all about being safe. None of the big companies are willing to take a chance with something new. All we get is xxx2, yyy3, zzz4. etc... Some of them are good but I also would love to see some new IPs.

Belamorte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:01 AM
unifiedtheory

EA bought a franchise and/or an exclusive license and then squeezed the life out of it with unoriginal design and basically "reskinning" a game and selling it as a new game? Say it isn't so.

Loved Medal of Honour, sad it is gone.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:03 AM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhouse View Post
Problem is that no 'suits' are willing to go out on a limb and experiment with a new IP. I hate it as much as you but it is all about being safe. None of the big companies are willing to take a chance with something new. All we get is xxx2, yyy3, zzz4. etc... Some of them are good but I also would love to see some new IPs.
And when you have a smaller company do something fresh they get gobbled up by a bigger company who proceeds to bring out 12 more versions of the game.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:04 AM
Zodiac

i'll pick up Warfighter when its like $10.

still kinda interested in playing it.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:07 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
And when you have a smaller company do something fresh they get gobbled up by a bigger company who proceeds to bring out 12 more versions of the game.
Ya, EA is definitely a studio killer

Bioware is such **** since EA bought them

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:11 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
The simple fact that they have a ''rotation'' is what's wrong in the gaming world of today

Bring us some god damn original IPs for ****'s sake
True enough.

I like Ubisoft's Far Cry 3 formula of just taking a known name and building totally different, better game.

Basically using the name to draw customers but build a game that is ... good.

Same principle as Bethesda with Fallout 3...

(NOT SYNDICATE!!!!)

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:19 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
True enough.

I like Ubisoft's Far Cry 3 formula of just taking a known name and building totally different, better game.

Basically using the name to draw customers but build a game that is ... good.

Same principle as Bethesda with Fallout 3...

(NOT SYNDICATE!!!!)
Agreed. I never played Far Cry 2 but loved Far Cry 3. We don't need games to follow the COD yearly formula.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:47 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
And that is what i dont understand. The video game genre is new and there is still so many stories that has not been done. Why on earth dont they just do something new and exciting? It has not that hard to come up with something new. If you cant think of anything other then the call of duty formula, why not just follow a movie concept?

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:09 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
And that is what i dont understand. The video game genre is new and there is still so many stories that has not been done. Why on earth dont they just do something new and exciting? It has not that hard to come up with something new. If you cant think of anything other then the call of duty formula, why not just follow a movie concept?
Major corporations are risk averse. They want calculable, predictable, controllable results. There's nothing better for that then continual iterations of the same franchise. Companies and the rare few studios that do not follow this philosophy often make original IP and invest a great deal of time into their releases. Because these corporate idiots are spending 25-100 million on some of these games, they want reassurance that it will be commercially successful. None of the suits that run these companies understand that there is no such thing in gaming, and that the McDonaldization of gaming is not conducive to making boatloads of money. Call of Duty and sports games aside, it just doesn't work that way.

People are not going to buy a Medal of Honor title ever again off of name alone, should EA attempt it again. They've run that brand into the ground with their rotational philosophy. It's not just that EA lost value on sales, they also lose value when they devalue and destroy brands. How much goodwill does Bioware have right about now? A lot less than they did prior to SWTOR, Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3.

The movie industry suffers from the same problem, but they have started to overcome it.

Quote:
EA posted $922 million in revenue and a $45 million net loss for the three-month period ending Dec. 31, 2012. During the same quarter from the previous year, the publisher posted $1.061 billion in revenue and a $205 million net loss.
EA, meanwhile, should start fearing the reaper.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
The last good MOH game was so long ago. Shame, I used to like the series.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:51 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I never got into Medal of Honor, so no loss to me.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

vCash: 592
Remember when it took a 3-5 years to build a great FPS? Now every 6 months we get another generic piece of crap. Thanks COD!

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:13 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Remember when it took a 3-5 years to build a great FPS? Now every 6 months we get another generic piece of crap. Thanks COD!
Yep, FPS has gone down the crapper in recent years. I used to almost exclusively play FPS, now I hardly even play it anymore. I can't get into CS like I did back 13 years ago, TF2 is fun but I don't enjoy it enough to consistently play it. Other that that, there's not a lot out there.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
What are you talking about? That's not how it ever was. Game development time is longer than it's ever been, not shorter.

Anyways, EA is spinning Danger Close out because whatever Respawn is making will be a 2014 thing.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:01 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
What are you talking about? That's not how it ever was. Game development time is longer than it's ever been, not shorter.

Anyways, EA is spinning Danger Close out because whatever Respawn is making will be a 2014 thing.
There are companies that are pumping out games almost annually. It's not that development times are shorter, it's that some companies are recycling their games in order to maximize profit rather than giving a better experience with each new iteration. That's because in order to do that they would have to build a new game on whatever the newest available technology is. This would take more time and cost more money. So instead they only do that when their current product looks too outdated to compete in the market.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:01 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

MOHAA was awesome. First game I played competitively.

01-31-2013, 02:08 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
It's not just that EA lost value on sales, they also lose value when they devalue and destroy brands. How much goodwill does Bioware have right about now? A lot less than they did prior to SWTOR, Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3.
^^ Co-sign. Since even Bioware has proven to have no immunity to EA's soul-destroying assimilation, I would submit that every brand that EA buys inevitably dies as a result of churning out mindless or rushed sequels for the purposes of cashing in on the brand name. The value of the brand is milked dry, then discarded, and EA has to acquire a new brand name to repeat the process.

EA is a virus, a plague on the gaming industry. May it die a swift death.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
^^ Co-sign. Since even Bioware has proven to have no immunity to EA's soul-destroying assimilation, I would submit that every brand that EA buys inevitably dies as a result of churning out mindless or rushed sequels for the purposes of cashing in on the brand name. The value of the brand is milked dry, then discarded, and EA has to acquire a new brand name to repeat the process.

EA is a virus, a plague on the gaming industry. May it die a swift death.
The only company that has been successful under EA is Maxis. The Sims = Gold Mine.