HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

NHL on TSN Quiz: Potential Hall of Fame Inductees For 2013

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2012, 08:57 PM
  #1
Evincar
Your Final Judgement
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
NHL on TSN Quiz: Potential Hall of Fame Inductees For 2013

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409049

Evincar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:35 PM
  #2
Johnny Engine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,317
vCash: 500
I, for one am shocked that Mike Peca likes Guy Carbonneau so much. What do those guys have in common?

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:11 PM
  #3
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
I, for one am shocked that Mike Peca likes Guy Carbonneau so much. What do those guys have in common?
my answer to that question would have been fleury, but i can see the argument for carbonneau. the other two guys took the easy way out and went with housley. mike johnson's argument that when you're top four all time in defenseman points, it doesn't matter if you couldn't play defense or win.

well, the interesting thing to me is carbonneau was just as much of an elite specialist as housley was. top five defensive forward of all time (and housley was only arguably top five offensively). the difference being contribution to winning teams. carbo over housley all day, every day.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:24 PM
  #4
Hawkey Town 18
Moderator
 
Hawkey Town 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
my answer to that question would have been fleury, but i can see the argument for carbonneau. the other two guys took the easy way out and went with housley. mike johnson's argument that when you're top four all time in defenseman points, it doesn't matter if you couldn't play defense or win.

well, the interesting thing to me is carbonneau was just as much of an elite specialist as housley was. top five defensive forward of all time (and housley was only arguably top five offensively). the difference being contribution to winning teams. carbo over housley all day, every day.
There is no argument for Housley being top 5 offensively all-time...just off the top of my head...Bobby Orr, Eddie Shore, Red Kelly, Paul Coffey, Pierre Pilote, Ray Bourque, Al MacInnis, Brian Leetch were all clearly better offensively than Housley

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:26 PM
  #5
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,728
vCash: 500
I think some facetiousness was missed in JE's post.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:28 PM
  #6
Hawkey Town 18
Moderator
 
Hawkey Town 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,210
vCash: 500
Nice to see Makarov getting some recognition

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:39 AM
  #7
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 39,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Nice to see Makarov getting some recognition
My thoughts exactly.

I'm actually really surprised (and in a good way) by most of the opinions.

The Housley nonsense is to be expected.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:53 AM
  #8
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I think some facetiousness was missed in JE's post.
no, i caught it. not like it wasn't already pointed out in the TSN panel (see the accompanying video on the TSN website).

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:08 AM
  #9
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Why was Fedorov not an option?

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:10 AM
  #10
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 39,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Why was Fedorov not an option?
Not eligible yet because of his time in the KHL. Wikipedia has Fedorov as still active in 2011-2012.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:30 AM
  #11
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Not eligible yet because of his time in the KHL. Wikipedia has Fedorov as still active in 2011-2012.
True. Eligible next year as a result.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:33 AM
  #12
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Not eligible yet because of his time in the KHL. Wikipedia has Fedorov as still active in 2011-2012.
Yeah I looked it up, it said he played only through 2010... another post in another thread said he was playing last season so I dug deeper and apparently he played last year also.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:48 AM
  #13
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
There is no argument for Housley being top 5 offensively all-time...just off the top of my head...Bobby Orr, Eddie Shore, Red Kelly, Paul Coffey, Pierre Pilote, Ray Bourque, Al MacInnis, Brian Leetch were all clearly better offensively than Housley
Pierre Pilote doesn't belong in this group and the guy was talking about his point totals. Housley wasn't great defensively but he did lead his team in scoring, something some of these guys didn't do, and he hit the ground running, something else most of these guys didn't do either.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:57 AM
  #14
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
my answer to that question would have been fleury, but i can see the argument for carbonneau. the other two guys took the easy way out and went with housley. mike johnson's argument that when you're top four all time in defenseman points, it doesn't matter if you couldn't play defense or win.

well, the interesting thing to me is carbonneau was just as much of an elite specialist as housley was. top five defensive forward of all time (and housley was only arguably top five offensively). the difference being contribution to winning teams. carbo over housley all day, every day.
The Hall is more stats driven though and a guy like Carbo won't fare well when there is a guy like Craig Ramsay not in the Hall.

Like it or not Housley's stats and being an American right out of high school are going to give him alot of traction with the committee IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:20 AM
  #15
Hawkman
Moderator
Back in Black
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Pierre Pilote doesn't belong in this group...
Pilote may not belong in that distinguished group offensively, but in terms of all around play he was voted #14 all time by this board and Housley did not even make the top 60.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:02 AM
  #16
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Pierre Pilote doesn't belong in this group and the guy was talking about his point totals. Housley wasn't great defensively but he did lead his team in scoring
He's up there with Paul Reinhart and Dick Tarnstrom!

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:04 AM
  #17
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 39,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
Pilote may not belong in that distinguished group offensively, but in terms of all around play he was voted #14 all time by this board and Housley did not even make the top 60.
Pilote absolutely does belong in that group offensively. Look at how he scored compared to his peers

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:31 AM
  #18
Hawkman
Moderator
Back in Black
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Pilote absolutely does belong in that group offensively. Look at how he scored compared to his peers
Agreed. I was just trying to not be a homer.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:15 PM
  #19
tony d
The franchise
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,197
vCash: 500
I'm wondering if Andreychuk makes it in next year. The guy was a good goal scorer during his career, wonder if that'll be enough to get him in the Hall.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:45 PM
  #20
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I'm wondering if Andreychuk makes it in next year. The guy was a good goal scorer during his career, wonder if that'll be enough to get him in the Hall.
I hope not. Man, we'd really be lowering the bar if Andreychuk and Housley get in - anytime. Thankfully they didn't play that long ago so we all remember them. I'm getting nervous about Housley though. It was almost like with Nieuwendyk when he got in. The media clings to a name over and over and everybody repeats it to the point where it sounds right all of the sudden. Housley just might be one of those guys.

If I am picking the 4 names next year it would be Chelios, Niedermayer, Blake and Makarov. The first two will get in for sure. In my mind Blake had every bit as good a career as Niedermayer but no one seems to remember that anymore. I chose Makarov because I'd put him in not because I think the committee will do it.

Lindros is a guy that needs more time to analyze. Honestly, he's a player where we have to sit back and let it simmer for a few years until we either appreciate what he accomplished and forget his drama or not. They HHOF should have done that with Nieuwendyk to be honest.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:21 PM
  #21
unknown33
Registered User
 
unknown33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Europe
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 3,057
vCash: 500
Niedermayer
Chelios
Makarov
Lindros

I really don't understand how people question Lindros' worthiness based on what he DID.

unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:31 PM
  #22
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown33 View Post
Niedermayer
Chelios
Makarov
Lindros

I really don't understand how people question Lindros' worthiness based on what he DID.
Well, he did act like the part of human anatomy which never see the sunlight, which supports his worthiness and materiality to the non-inductees group.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:53 PM
  #23
unknown33
Registered User
 
unknown33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Europe
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 3,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Well, he did act like the part of human anatomy which never see the sunlight, which supports his worthiness and materiality to the non-inductees group.
I disagree.

In my opinion Lindros doesn't owe anything to the team that drafted him.
As the highest rated talent you shouldn't settle for an less than optimal option.

It's his job, his life and a business afterall.


Besides how can you judge a persons character on one decision he made as an 18-year-old, arguably heavily influnced by his father?
Was it Lindros or his agent a.k.a father that had this idea?


Last edited by unknown33: 11-08-2012 at 04:01 PM.
unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:59 PM
  #24
JaymzB
Registered User
 
JaymzB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 2,547
vCash: 500
If Phil Housley gets into the HHOF before Guy Carbonneau…I’ll just give up with the whole damn thing.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:43 PM
  #25
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown33 View Post
I disagree.

In my opinion Lindros doesn't owe anything to the team that drafted him.
As the highest rated talent you shouldn't settle for an less than optimal option.

It's his job, his life and a business afterall.


Besides how can you judge a persons character on one decision he made as an 18-year-old, arguably heavily influnced by his father?
Was it Lindros or his agent a.k.a father that had this idea?
I think the fact he was 18 has no importance. The guy tried to screw up an NHL institution (the Draft) to his advantage. Borderlines candidates gets rejected on that basis (Tremblay), or gets to wait a REALLY long time (Mark Howe). Lindros is such borderline candidate due to longevity. And the draft thing was no grey zone like Michel Goulet. Besides, the Hall is supposed to consider "values".

Besides, why Crosby reported to Pittsburgh? It was certainly not the optimal setting (it ended up being great, but THE optimal? No).

I can actually see players asking to be removed from the Hall if Lindros gets in.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.