HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Bombers 2013 Season Thread (next game: 08/05 @ BC)

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 04:13 AM
blueandgoldguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Many of us who also frequent the skyscraper page forums discussed this exact problem for a couple of years. Buddy who was at the game told me people were just arriving at the half, the city, university and Blue Bombers have got to figure this out fast before they further alienate their fans.

Closed golf course land sitting vacant from Pembina and the U, could easily make a new route into the U and plenty of land to build a large (much needed) multi level parking structure on the vacant land as well.
Problem is will the university be willing to build a multi-level parkade on that land? Bombers will have little or no say.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:28 AM
buggs
get off my lawn

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Many of us who also frequent the skyscraper page forums discussed this exact problem for a couple of years. Buddy who was at the game told me people were just arriving at the half, the city, university and Blue Bombers have got to figure this out fast before they further alienate their fans.

Closed golf course land sitting vacant from Pembina and the U, could easily make a new route into the U and plenty of land to build a large (much needed) multi level parking structure on the vacant land as well.
To be honest I don't want to see them use the golf course land for a parking lot, that would be way too much like the university - something is green? Hmm, let's pave it.

They should tier up U lot for starters, at least adding a second level. They could couple that with adding a new route out to the south of Bison Drive that leads to Pembina Highway - that route would go through Smart Park and you could make it a route that only allows turns to the south at Pembina. They could also widen Bison with another lane or two on each side. It would be overkill for the most part other than event days, but otherwise would help.

Adding another route through the old Southwood golf course would help but you'd just end up creating another bottleneck where it would rejoin University Crescent.

When it comes right down to it, as many have said, it's a stupid place to build a stadium, at least from the perspective of traffic flow. Even when I was taking my kid to swimming lessons at the UofM about five years ago, if we didn't time leaving right, it would take half an hour and we live in Whyte Ridge! Bottlenecks at Waverly and Bishop and at Pembina and Bison. That's without 30,000 fans for an event.

There were other issues last night too that affected the UofM as well. Some intersession (I think it's still intersession, maybe it's summer session now) evening courses had to be moved off campus. Those that weren't moved had lots of students absent and that's really tough during a summer course (or any course when you're talking about a three hour class). Also UofM staff have to vacate their parking by 5:00 on event days. Not a problem for a lot of people but for those working late (say those instructors teaching evening courses) they have to move their cars. Less of a problem for those in Arts because there are some spaces for staff retained but they are down east of the Arts buildings - not so good for staff with classes at the west end of campus.

Ah well, it's only ten games plus concerts, so not so bad. It appears to be a beautiful building though I won't see it until the banjo bowl. The all important question though is did they put in troughs or are football people more civilized?

Old
06-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Gm0ney

Don't worry - City of Winnipeg traffic planners have this all figured out:

Planner 1: "Maybe we could add some more traffic lights?"
Planner 2: "Good idea!"
Planner 3: "You read my mind."
Planner 4: "How do we still have jobs?"
All: *LAUGHTER*

Old
06-13-2013, 01:29 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Commonwealth stadium in Edmonton was placed in a challenged location and they dealt with it by the LRT and a park and ride system that was very well organized. My guess is that there will be a transition period and adjustments will be made by the fans and the organization and everyone will be ok.

That being said much (if not all) of this could have been anticipated and pre planned. Not rocket science but the people running the show with the bomber organization seem to be in over their heads with this entire construction project and transportation logistical contingency plans (i will not comment on their handling of the football operations). Not the end of the world and the enduring crown jewel of a stadium will be a source of pride for the city for years to come but they chunked the opprotunity to nail the first impression big time.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:39 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Perhaps it will force more people to take public transportation to the games. That certainly isn't the end of the world (it would be a a really good thing IMO but I won't get off topic).

Old
06-13-2013, 01:54 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
Perhaps it will force more people to take public transportation to the games. That certainly isn't the end of the world (it would be a a really good thing IMO but I won't get off topic).
This is what allot of the problem was
20 minute bus rides turned into hour and a half or more.

People were getting off the buses on pembina and walking because it was so congested.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:57 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post

People were getting off the buses on pembina and walking because it was so congested.
Overheard people complaining that busses pulled up to the stops already full, some of the park-and-rides were 400+ waiting in line....

A guy next to us showed up just before half-time, said from the park-and-ride he took it was 2hours to Pembina @ Chancellor Drive. They then got out and walked the last 10-15 minutes.

This whole thing was poorly executed. First impressions are key.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
The huge problem they face is there aren't enough entrances to the university for that many people. I need to figure out a way to get close enough to the stadium so I can walk without getting stuck in traffic.

Coming from downtown, there are really only 2 places for vehicles to go. This should have been worked out long ago. Maybe a bus lane down University Crescent could've been worked out. It was ridiculous how long it took. Times like that I really wish I still lived in the area.

06-13-2013, 02:34 PM
sully1410

So who won?

Old
06-13-2013, 02:38 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
The huge problem they face is there aren't enough entrances to the university for that many people. I need to figure out a way to get close enough to the stadium so I can walk without getting stuck in traffic.

Coming from downtown, there are really only 2 places for vehicles to go. This should have been worked out long ago. Maybe a bus lane down University Crescent could've been worked out. It was ridiculous how long it took. Times like that I really wish I still lived in the area.
A dedicated bus-way through the ex-golf course land would solve a lot of problems. Really wonder why after all the construction time on the stadium transportation issues weren't properly addressed, everyone knew it would be a major problem. Fail all around.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 341
Bombers press conference at 2pm today to discuss traffic/parking issues, link with live feed:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...211420121.html

Old
06-13-2013, 02:57 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
Bombers press conference at 2pm today to discuss traffic/parking issues, link:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...211420121.html
Does everything that Botch-ko touches end in a screw-up?

Old
06-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

"Fans came by carpool, transit, bikes etc... in numbers greater than we expected" - not exact but pretty close.

Like WTF did they expect would happen when the place sells out for games or concerts?!

Transit buff: "we were expecting 5200 and got over 8500 people"

Old
06-13-2013, 03:06 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
"Fans came by carpool, transit, bikes etc... in numbers greater than we expected" - not exact but pretty close.

Like WTF did they expect would happen when the place sells out for games or concerts?!

Stadium holds 33.5K, there are only 5K parking spots did the powers to be expect people to use this to get into the stadium:

Old
06-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

Quote:
Stadium holds 33.5K, there are only 5K parking spots did the powers to be expect people to use this to get into the stadium:

I wish thinking more along the lines of this:

Old
06-13-2013, 03:38 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 516
Typical Winnipeg urban planning (lack thereof).

Old
06-13-2013, 04:21 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:

Exactly this

Did they think 25000 people were just going to walk to the games from ****ing transcona? Like get with it you meat heads

Last edited by King Woodballs: 06-13-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old
06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
surixon

To be fair only one in 20 took the bus before. But yeah it was a mess last night. I hope they put in those temporary bus lanes and lit car access at some of the entrances.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:11 PM
jetsfan101

Quote:

Stop and really think about that for a second...they expected an EXTRA 3300 people worth of cars on the road towards their stadium, and it was STILL that backed up.

Holy fail. THAT'S A THOUSAND MORE CARS AT LEAST!!!

Old
06-13-2013, 05:29 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:

The transit was impeded by the masses driving their own vehicles along with the regular traffic in that area. Now I understand it isn't feasible for some people to take public transit because of where they live or their schedule. The city really should have done a better job of making transit easy and accessible for the games though, whether it be more park rides or whatever to encourage public transit (also perhaps they should look into some improvements I understand Winnipeg has a density issue which limits them to some extent but shouldn't totally impede progress) and relieve some congestion. I really don't think that building more roads and parking lots should be the go to solution for 8 games + concerts.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:00 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Exactly this

Did they think 25000 people were just going to,walk to the games from ****ing transcona? Like get with you meat heads
Bingo.

That comment from Buchko pissed me right off when I heard it. What did they expect to happen? Just have 33k people magically appear.

They weren't prepared my ass, no one cares enough to be bothered to figure **** like this out. The only thing Buchko cares about is money, he doesn't care about the team or helping the fans.

Just watch, in combination with the poor product on the field they would be lucky to get 1/2 the season ticket holders return next year.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:28 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Bingo.

That comment from Buchko pissed me right off when I heard it. What did they expect to happen? Just have 33k people magically appear.

They weren't prepared my ass, no one cares enough to be bothered to figure **** like this out. The only thing Buchko cares about is money, he doesn't care about the team or helping the fans.

Just watch, in combination with the poor product on the field they would be lucky to get 1/2 the season ticket holders return next year.
Yeah exactly. Piss enough people off you won't be able to pay your mortgage.

What will happen in October or November when it is -15 to -30 outside?

What if a grey cup happens one day.

What a miserable mess it is going to be

Old
06-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

Quote:
Yeah exactly. Piss enough people off you won't be able to pay your mortgage.

What will happen in October or November when it is -15 to -30 outside?

What if a grey cup happens one day.

What a miserable mess it is going to be
Well a Grey Cup can't happen until they fix the open press box:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...211472251.html

Seriously, I sometimes wonder how the people running this team can call themselves professionals.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:55 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:

Seriously, I sometimes wonder how the people running this team can call themselves professionals.
I am aware of that ridiculous issue too. No reason that couldn't be fixed by the end of this season

Who designs something in this city that isn't winter proof?

Old
06-13-2013, 11:13 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 2331
Quote:

Idiots.

Closed Thread