HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Pound for Pound: Best Junior career

View Poll Results: Best Junior Career
Wayne 1 3.33%
Mario 24 80.00%
Crosby 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-01-2012, 05:53 AM
daver

vCash: 500
Pound for Pound: Best Junior career

Wayne Gretzky - In his 16 year old season, challenged future NHL stars like Bobby Smith and Dino Ciccarelli for scoring title.

Mario - Incredible 16 year old season, record setting draft year season

Crosby - Best CHL player in 16 year old season, arguably dominated the Q like Mario did in his draft year season

daver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 05:59 AM
daver

I voted Crosby factoring in that Mario played a full year in the Q before his 16 year old season.

daver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Big Phil

Mario.

Honestly, how can it not be? 282 points in 70 games is 4 points a game. You can adjust until the cows come home and do everything that can possibly make Mario's numbers look less but in the end we are talking about 4 points on AVERAGE. This means a "bad" game saw Mario get 1 goal and an assist.

Crosby averaged 2.54 PPG which is incredible to say the least, but think back for a second, who was more highly regarded coming out of junior, Mario or Crosby? If you saw both, the hype surrounding Mario was bigger simply because he dominated better than Crosby did.

I am surprised Gretzky is on this poll and not Lindros. In all seriousness, Gretzky had one season in the OHL and that was it. Granted he racked up 182 points as a 16 year old but then he flew to the WHA. Lindros had a 149 point year in his draft year and won a Memorial Cup and two World Junior golds. He's got to be ahead of Gretzky here.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Ed Wood

While Denis Potvin only had 31 points in 42 games as a sixteen year old he absolutely dominated the ice. I voted for Mario but Potvin is still the most impressive junior player I ever saw.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:57 PM
jkrx

Potvins junior season is one of the strongest Ive seen on any 16 year old. Bobby Orr was better than both Lindros and Gretzky. Orr is up there with Potvin.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:52 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

Mario's 16 year old season was 81-82 and he had 30-66-96. His record setting year was when he was 18 and he scored 282 p. Gretzky turned 17 in the middle of his big season with the Greyhounds and Crosby's big year was when he was 17. Its hard to compare their great years because they occurred at different ages for each player.

Last edited by LeBlondeDemon10: 12-01-2012 at 03:57 PM.
LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Mario.

Honestly, how can it not be? 282 points in 70 games is 4 points a game. You can adjust until the cows come home and do everything that can possibly make Mario's numbers look less but in the end we are talking about 4 points on AVERAGE. This means a "bad" game saw Mario get 1 goal and an assist.

Crosby averaged 2.54 PPG which is incredible to say the least, but think back for a second, who was more highly regarded coming out of junior, Mario or Crosby? If you saw both, the hype surrounding Mario was bigger simply because he dominated better than Crosby did.

I am surprised Gretzky is on this poll and not Lindros. In all seriousness, Gretzky had one season in the OHL and that was it. Granted he racked up 182 points as a 16 year old but then he flew to the WHA. Lindros had a 149 point year in his draft year and won a Memorial Cup and two World Junior golds. He's got to be ahead of Gretzky here.
You have a point about Lindros being on this poll instead of Wayne.

Wood has a valid point about Potvin too but Dmen and forwards are hard to rate.

I took Crosby as he really dominated in both years before his draft more than Mario did overall IMO.

Lafontaine and to a lesser degree other players were closer to Mario in his year before the draft compared to Sid in his year before the draft.

The Q was also considered a better league (compared to the OHL and WHL) in the 00's than in the early 80's when it was the clear weak sister.

It will be very interesting to see how McDavids Jr career stacks up to the guys mentioned here.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:01 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

4 points a game is just absurd. He scored more than a point per period... if he only scored once in a period, his average would slip.

I mean... jesus.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:10 AM
thom

The Canadian Hockey League named its all-time all star lineup a decade ago.It was called the mastercard all team.They started by naming the all time teams from q to ontario and whl and they ended with a ceremony in Ottawa.The team was at rw Guy Lafleur at Center Mario Lemieux and a left Brian Propp.Defense was Bobby Orr and Denis Potvin I can't think of the goalie but the ceremony was on tv and the chl published a magazine at the time in tribute

thom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

As dominant as Potvin was as a Junior. I think it's kinda jumping the gun to say he was as dominant as Orr.
Orr had 21 points in 34 games as a 14 year old.
72 points in 56 games as a 15 year old. Another 7 points in 6 PO games.
93 points in 56 games as a 16 year old. Another 6 points in 6 PO games.
94 points in 47 games as a 17 year old. Another 28 points in 17 PO games as well as scoring a whopping 36 points in just 12 games in that version of the M-Cup that year.

So while I agree Potvin was incredible, Orr was just ridiculous!

As for the poll...Lemieux looked like a man amongst boys in Junior, it was sick.
Crosby didn't come close to dominating on that kind of level.

Rhiessan71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Bobby Smith in Ottawa, 1978, chosen Top Jr. over Gretzky... also Lafleur, Clarke
with Flin Flon, Mike Bossy. Those three were beyond prolific goal & point setters.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:38 AM
jkrx

Is Crosbys junior seasons even better than Lafontaines?

Old
12-02-2012, 08:26 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
As dominant as Potvin was as a Junior. I think it's kinda jumping the gun to say he was as dominant as Orr.
94 points in 47 games as a 17 year old. Another 28 points in 17 PO games as well as scoring a whopping 36 points in just 12 games in that version of the M-Cup that year.

As for the poll...Lemieux looked like a man amongst boys in Junior, it was sick.
Crosby didn't come close to dominating on that kind of level.
This was posted in the contraction thread but I think it definitely applies here too. The level of play from the non-stars of hockey has drastically improved... I don't think it's incorrect to state Crosby was playing against far better talent in junior than Lemieux was.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:30 AM
livewell68

Lafleur and Lafontaine should be in this discussion as well as should Orr.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:46 AM
tony d
The man

Going with Lemieux here. Over 4 points a game for a 16 year old is mighty impressive.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:28 AM
jack mullet
@jackmullethockey

Mario

jack mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Irato99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Going with Lemieux here. Over 4 points a game for a 16 year old is mighty impressive.
You didn't read LeBlondeDemon10's post, Lemieux did that as a 18 year old, his third year in juniors. On his 16 year old season he got 96 pts and he wasn't even close to lead the league.

Irato99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:55 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
This was posted in the contraction thread but I think it definitely applies here too. The level of play from the non-stars of hockey has drastically improved... I don't think it's incorrect to state Crosby was playing against far better talent in junior than Lemieux was.
I doubt that theory, Lemieux's record season was in a league that included Robitaille, Damphousse, Claude, Richer, Roy and ironically Sids dad. I dont think the standard players has improved so much as it offsets Marios dominance.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:59 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I doubt that theory, Lemieux's record season was in a league that included Robitaille, Damphousse, Claude, Richer, Roy and ironically Sids dad. I dont think the standard players has improved so much as it offsets Marios dominance.
The point wasn't that the top end is better or worse, but rather the depth is far better now than it was before. The third and 4th liners are far better than they were.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:22 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
The point wasn't that the top end is better or worse, but rather the depth is far better now than it was before. The third and 4th liners are far better than they were.
Of course they are better but are they so much better that they offset Lemieux? Extension of that being Crosby being better in the NHL now because 3rd and 4th liners are better too right?

Old
12-02-2012, 12:36 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
He wasn't 16; he was 18 when he scored at that pace.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post

Orr may have had better numbers offensively but Potvin terrified people. The open ice hits I saw him level as a junior were incredible. I saw him play dozens of times and have never seen another junior player as physically domiment. I never actually got to see Orr play at the junior level so that may would prevent me from making as informed a judgement as I would like.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Lemieux. Each year, his point totals increased by about 100 compared to the previous season. That's freaking sick.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Big Phil

The polls are going the way I think they should. Mario was just too dominant as a junior. He was also more hyped up than anyone else I have ever seen enter the NHL. More than Crosby for sure, no doubt.

Crosby might even have a tough time winning a poll against a junior Lindros. Then again, maybe not since Lindros sat out half of his rookie year. But at their draft day I think the idea was that Lindros was supposed to be more dominant than Crosby. That is my perception at least.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Orr may have had better numbers offensively but Potvin terrified people. The open ice hits I saw him level as a junior were incredible. I saw him play dozens of times and have never seen another junior player as physically domiment. I never actually got to see Orr play at the junior level so that may would prevent me from making as informed a judgement as I would like.
Oh for sure, of that I have no doubt.
There's far too many posters that don't realise how punishing and really, downright nasty Potvin was on top of his great talent.

My father, who used to take me to a ton of Guelph Platers and Kitchener Rangers games when I was a kid, did see both Orr and Potvin in their Junior days.
I gave him a call earlier today and asked him about it.
He said that while Potvin was extremely dominant, Orr was just out of this world and he's never seen better.
Just some back ground on my pop so you know it's not just the opinion of an average fan.
He played Junior himself, has coached hockey at every level up to Junior C and even did some minor scouting part time here and there. His late father, my grandfather, was a goalie that played professionally in the 30's and 40's. He met my grandmother in Sask on a western road trip actually

Anyway, suffice to say, my father has seen a hell of a lot of hockey over the years and more importantly, he understands what he was watching.
He taught me to skate when I was 4 and I became a goalie at 7 because of my grandfather and Ken Dryden of course
I always listen closely to what he says, even when we argue about who was better, Yzerman or Sakic. Although I think that has more to do with his hatred of the Redwings. His love is the Blackhawks and he actually cried in '10.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 12-03-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Rhiessan71 is online now   Reply With Quote