HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVI: Get Your Kicks On Thread LXVI

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Leo W

vCash: 50
I haven't been paying particularly close attention to this, are the Yotes staying in Phoenix and just calling themselves the Arizona Coyotes? Or is there still the possibility of moving?

Old
11-30-2012, 11:50 AM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Its a little over a half hour with no traffic. I would assume game day you can add more time. I didn't have a car in college but I went to school in NYC, whats it like at ASU? I figure the school could bus people over.

Another concern is I believe the stadium has a natural grass field that slides out. I remember the Jets/Giants having issues a few years ago when they had a natural grass field with the wear and tear of two teams playing on it, same with Pittsburgh when the Pitt Panthers and Steelers shared Heinz Field
I'm not sure about ASU, I'm sure with the introduction of the light rail less people drive cars, but they have a good public transportation system down there with buses, but I couldn't tell you about the amount of cars students have. I went to NAU up in Flagstaff, I just know from personal experience driving from the west valley where the stadium is back to Tempe multiple times.

I'm sure the university could bus people to and from, but how much would that cost? Does Miami do that for students there?

I'd imagine the playing surface is a big issue if the Sun Devils were to play on a Saturday, and the next day the Cardinals would have to play on it. This is why the Cardinals should have gotten a stadium in downtown phoenix lol. If it was downtown Phoenix this would really not be much of an issue, much closer to Tempe than Glendale.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:51 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
I haven't been paying particularly close attention to this, are the Yotes staying in Phoenix and just calling themselves the Arizona Coyotes? Or is there still the possibility of moving?
Lease agreement with the COG was approved, but now objectionists have 30 days to collect over 5k signatures.

There is a January 31 timeline for GJ to buy the team. Beyond that, who knows what the hell is going on and what will happen with the team.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:55 AM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Lease agreement with the COG was approved, but now objectionists have 30 days to collect over 5k signatures.

There is a January 31 timeline for GJ to buy the team. Beyond that, who knows what the hell is going on and what will happen with the team.
3 more years of one month extensions

Old
11-30-2012, 11:58 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
3 more years of one month extensions
Damn that's a lot of 2 weeks!

Old
11-30-2012, 12:09 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Yessiree....

That would be none other than Mr. Ken Jones.

And as I predicted the Tea Party Patriots will also be lending a hand.

Mr. Jones' new PAC for the referendum is called "Back to Sanity".

Target number this time around is 5,894 signatures.

Next scheduled election in Glendale is two years away.
sonu munshi‏@smunshi
No. of signatures needed is based on 10% of total votes cast in the last election, which comes to 6,956. But will confirm with the city

sonu munshi‏@smunshi
On an interesting side note, this elex had highest ever turnout in #Glendale. 71.35% voter-turnout. #Coyotes

Old
11-30-2012, 12:12 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Yeah they approved a lease agreement and are just waiting for jamison to finalizing the purchase with the league. I believe the name change is pending league approval. It'll all be settled in a matter of weeks, not months.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Yeah they approved a lease agreement and are just waiting for jamison to finalizing the purchase with the league. I believe the name change is pending league approval. It'll all be settled in a matter of weeks, not months.
Interesting. I've never heard that before.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:41 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
sonu munshi‏@smunshi
No. of signatures needed is based on 10% of total votes cast in the last election, which comes to 6,956. But will confirm with the city

sonu munshi‏@smunshi
On an interesting side note, this elex had highest ever turnout in #Glendale. 71.35% voter-turnout. #Coyotes
Its a percentage of votes cast in the mayors race not the election overall. Remember the mayoral election coincides with the presidential election in Glendale (which is unusual, most places do municipal elections in odd years). So if 80,000 people voted in the presidential race but 20000 left mayor blank then its based on 60,000. Thats my understanding based on Clark's tweets.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Stump

I have paid very little attention to hockey in the last 6 - 8 months, so I'm out of the loop with the whole ownership quest.

can someone tell me though, is it true that Glendale gave Jamison $320 million and he would not name who was in the Jamison Investment Group? I heard this, but I can't believe it.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:45 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
I have paid very little attention to hockey in the last 6 - 8 months, so I'm out of the loop with the whole ownership quest.

can someone tell me though, is it true that Glendale gave Jamison $320 million and he would not name who was in the Jamison Investment Group? I heard this, but I can't believe it.
we heard it too and we cant believe it either.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:46 PM
aqib

Quote:
I'm not sure about ASU, I'm sure with the introduction of the light rail less people drive cars, but they have a good public transportation system down there with buses, but I couldn't tell you about the amount of cars students have. I went to NAU up in Flagstaff, I just know from personal experience driving from the west valley where the stadium is back to Tempe multiple times.

I'm sure the university could bus people to and from, but how much would that cost? Does Miami do that for students there?

I'd imagine the playing surface is a big issue if the Sun Devils were to play on a Saturday, and the next day the Cardinals would have to play on it. This is why the Cardinals should have gotten a stadium in downtown phoenix lol. If it was downtown Phoenix this would really not be much of an issue, much closer to Tempe than Glendale.
Why did they wind up in Glendale? From what I read Glendale only kicked in $9.5 million of the stadium cost. Couldn't Phoenix or Tempe come up with the same?

Old
11-30-2012, 01:11 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Why did they wind up in Glendale? From what I read Glendale only kicked in $9.5 million of the stadium cost. Couldn't Phoenix or Tempe come up with the same?
Huh? Where did the other $210 million come from?

Old
11-30-2012, 01:35 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
the other poster was referring to the football stadium, I believe. The $455 million football stadium was paid for mostly by the county tourism & sports authority tax back in the day - the city chirped in about 9-10 mill and the Cards chirped in some millions $$ too - but I don't remember their amount.

The Yotes arena cost around $230 million, of which Glendale paid $180 and Ellman etal paid the difference.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:38 PM
aqib

Quote:
$302.3 from the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority, $143.2 million from the Cardinals and $9.5 million from Glendale. At least according to wikipedia

Old
11-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
I think the official rule is to use the ''location'' as main sign being Quebec = QUE, Montreal = MTL, Dallas = DAL and so on.

Only teams whose location would be expressed with two letters (New York, New Jersey) or teams that share a location get to use a different rule.

So if Phoenix use PHX, Arizona would use ARI.
I think it's entirely to do with teams that share a location. Here in the NY area, we use NYY, NYM, NYJ, NYG, NYR, NYI, for all the teams that share New York with another team in the sport, but the Knicks and Devils remain NY and NJ. The Nets now use BKN post-move, they used to use NJ as well. I think the same premise applies in LA, a third letter isn't used for the Kings, but is used in the NBA and MLB where LA is shared.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:53 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
$302.3 from the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority, $143.2 million from the Cardinals and $9.5 million from Glendale. At least according to wikipedia
As for why it wound up there, a number of different sites within Maricopa County were considered; a site closer to central Phoenix (which iirc the FAA objected due as some portion would have been too high for their liking in a flight path for the main airport for the valley ) - sites in Mesa and iirc tribal lands in the east valley near Scottsdale were considered. I believe there was local opposition to the other sites and relatively no opposition to the Glendale site - plus I want to say I remember the Cards preferring the Glendale site over the other sites...

Old
11-30-2012, 02:06 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
As for why it wound up there, a number of different sites within Maricopa County were considered; a site closer to central Phoenix (which iirc the FAA objected due as some portion would have been too high for their liking in a flight path for the main airport for the valley ) - sites in Mesa and iirc tribal lands in the east valley near Scottsdale were considered. I believe there was local opposition to the other sites and relatively no opposition to the Glendale site - plus I want to say I remember the Cards preferring the Glendale site over the other sites...
Ah ok. Now it makes sense that Glendale kick in a little bit for the stadium since it gets some benefit from being the host city. I would venture to say it has easily made its $9.5 million back. Why then did wasn't the same state agency (or at the very least the county) involved in the financing of the arena?

Old
11-30-2012, 04:13 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n....html?page=all

They will likely need to collect roughly 6,900 voters signatures based on rules that require referendum organizers gets valid voter signatures from 10 percent of those who turned out for the most recent election. The November 2012 election saw 69,558 valid ballots cast, according to an official canvas of votes. Those signatures will have to be collected by Dec. 27 — one month after the Glendale City Council’s 4-2 decision on Nov. 27 in favor the Coyotes deal.

Anti-Coyotes activist Ken Jones is involved in the referendum effort. “We have a lot more help this time than we had last time,” Jones said.

Phoenix attorney Walt Opaska, who unsuccessfully ran for mayor this year, is helping with the anti-Coyotes referendum. “I will help Ken organize the effort and collect signatures,” Opaska said.

“I do not plan on helping, assisting or supporting the efforts of Mr. Jones and Mr. Opaska and others in their efforts to take the arena deal to a public vote. I have not been asked to do so. I do not plan to volunteer to do so,” Scruggs said.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:31 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Explained and answered.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:16 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
the other poster was referring to the football stadium, I believe. The $455 million football stadium was paid for mostly by the county tourism & sports authority tax back in the day - the city chirped in about 9-10 mill and the Cards chirped in some millions $$ too - but I don't remember their amount.

The Yotes arena cost around $230 million, of which Glendale paid $180 and Ellman etal paid the difference.
Based on Skeete's "net present valuing" the obligation for the AMF is greater than the investment in the arena.

Ouch.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:24 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Based on Skeete's "net present valuing" the obligation for the AMF is greater than the investment in the arena.

Ouch.
You want ouch. Add it all up.

The Arena: $180M
The last 2 seasons: $50M
The AMF : $320M
--------------------------------

The CoG is going to spend $550M just to have a team, that they don't even own!

They could have bought any team in the NHL except Toronto, Montreal, or the Rangers for that money.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:30 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Ah ok. Now it makes sense that Glendale kick in a little bit for the stadium since it gets some benefit from being the host city. I would venture to say it has easily made its $9.5 million back. Why then did wasn't the same state agency (or at the very least the county) involved in the financing of the arena?
Didn't the city actually lose money on the superbowl?

Glendale is like the kid the rest of the Valley bullies...

Old
11-30-2012, 05:50 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post

They could have bought any team in the NHL except Toronto, Montreal, or the Rangers for that money.

You left out the interest on the $180 million.

I had only been comparing the investment, or $180 for the arena versus $188 (by Skeete's reckoning) for the AMF.

Last edited by OthmarAmmann: 11-30-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old
11-30-2012, 06:44 PM
GF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post

Aren't they giving 85% of the parking and arena naming rights too? Or did I understand wrong?

Closed Thread