HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVI: Get Your Kicks On Thread LXVI

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 03:16 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
(4) Explain why they didn't have a licensed risk management consultant for a 29 month period between Sep 2009 and Feb 2012, even though one is required by state law.
Would you want a licensed risk management consultant around while you played shuffle the money?

The hens can't run amok with a rooster watching over them.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:19 PM
barneyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Dunno. It's a workshop not a meeting. Anyway, here's the RM audit report. I have not reviewed.

http://www.glendaleaz.com/Clerk/agen...120412-W05.pdf
This is actually Skeete/staff's official answer regarding the RM audit report (which was here).

I did read it, here's a summary:

"We did nothing wrong, we only did what we had been doing for years already. Craig Tindall told us to add that this doesn't justify what was done and we won't do it again (I think?)"

---

On a related note, the 12/12/2012 debt refinancing was discussed in the November 13 workshop (items 15 and 16). Interestingly:

Quote:
Upon Council approval, it is estimated that the net present value savings of this refinancing as well as the Municipal Properties Corporation refinancing will exceed $28 million. In addition, there is an expected cash flow savings to the General Fund of approximately $35 million over the next five years.
With the downgrade, so much for that plan.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
This is actually Skeete/staff's official answer regarding the RM audit report (which was here).

I did read it, here's a summary:

"We did nothing wrong, we only did what we had been doing for years already. Craig Tindall told us to add that this doesn't justify what was done and we won't do it again (I think?)"

---

On a related note, the 12/12/2012 debt refinancing was discussed in the November 13 workshop (items 15 and 16). Interestingly:

With the downgrade, so much for that plan.
Well, it is perhaps an understatement, but the whole Glendale plan hasn't really been coming together that well.

It seems an almost certainty that Glendale is in for some rather tough times and difficult cuts in the coming years. So it will be hard for Jamison to escape the intense gaze of the hockey fans and general public. Imagine how things will go when he starts to raise ticket prices, as he must. Also, consider the pressure he'll face if he maintains a rather spartan player salary budget (as he will likely have to do in the short term), particularly if the on-ice performance lags somewhat. Given the largesse being provided to Jamison by the taxpayers of Glendale, they might well expect him to be a more generous owner than he will be able to manage. Things could become rather toxic, and his status as a "savior" seems quite likely to be rather short-lived.

My point is that the great financial hardships facing Glendale are going to be seen as being pinned to Jamison and this deal. Moody's has made the connection explicit. He would have been in a much stronger position politically and with respect to public relations if he didn't have to squeeze the COG so hard financially. The NHL's fingerprints are all over that, after first draining the COG's coffers over the past two years to cover the Coyotes' operating costs.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:35 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Well, it is perhaps an understatement, but the whole Glendale plan hasn't really been coming together that well.

It seems an almost certainty that Glendale is in for some rather tough times and difficult cuts in the coming years. So it will be hard for Jamison to escape the intense gaze of the hockey fans and general public. Imagine how things will go when he starts to raise ticket prices, as he must. Also, consider the pressure he'll face if he maintains a rather spartan player salary budget (as he will likely have to do in the short term), particularly if the on-ice performance lags somewhat. Given the largesse being provided to Jamison by the taxpayers of Glendale, they might well expect him to be a more generous owner than he will be able to manage. Things could become rather toxic, and his status as a "savior" seems quite likely to be rather short-lived.

My point is that the great financial hardships facing Glendale are going to be seen as being pinned to Jamison and this deal. Moody's has made the connection explicit. He would have been in a much stronger position politically and with respect to public relations if he didn't have to squeeze the COG so hard financially. The NHL's fingerprints are all over that, after first draining the COG's coffers over the past two years to cover the Coyotes' operating costs.
Fully agree with you, and it is beginning right now in Glendale if you follow the today workshop... They begin to realise they are in trouble Better late than never

Old
12-04-2012, 05:49 PM
calmdown

I think that Craig Tindall is in hot water right now? Am I right?

Old
12-04-2012, 05:53 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown View Post
I think that Craig Tindall is in hot water right now? Am I right?
Scruggs is laying into him. Tindall is saying it is not within his power nor duties to enforce the law. He is not in law enforcement. Only when he is absolutely sure something is wrong will he step forward, but he will not just start an investigation, to see if something might be wrong, not his roll. ---- Pharaphrase

Scruggs is questioning why, when people saw things potentially illegal, why no one stepped forward.

Scruggs wants an audit done regardless of cost, and thinks anyone who questions the cost of the audit is of questionable mind, considering the cost of the contract the CoG just entered in to.

Last edited by cbcwpg: 12-04-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 06:08 PM
barneyg

Tindall can't be in much hot water unless he was specifically asked whether those transfers were allowed, and he wasn't.

With Beasley gone, Ms. Schurhammer (basically city CFO) will be taking the heat on the RM audit.

edit -- gotta love Alvarez's Winnie the Pooh Christmas sweatshirt at a council workshop.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Major4Boarding
Private Equity

Ouch! This workshop should be renamed "Woodshed". As in, "taken out back to the..."

Old
12-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Major4Boarding
Private Equity

LMFAO!!! Clark pulls the "Sweep it under the rug and move on" card

Old
12-04-2012, 06:13 PM
cbcwpg

Scruggs: Why was this not in the budget? Why? So, it was a deliberate omission? Who told you to omit it?

.... crickets ....

Clark: It's apparent that there have been irregularities.

Clark thinks it wasted energy to try and put blame to the people responsible, instead just wants to worry about how to fix it.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:17 PM
habsinottawa

They all seem really...confused. Scruggs knows she wants information. But no one seems to really know whats going on. This is super weird.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:19 PM
cbcwpg

If I ever need someone to hide some money for me and get rid of the paper trail... I'm thinking I'm gonna call that new consulting firm with the name Beasley in it. He did a masterful job of confusing the hell out of the CoG council.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:20 PM
calmdown

Thank you guys, I thought I it was impossible...

Old
12-04-2012, 06:22 PM
habsinottawa

Clark seems unwilling to lay blame, but forgive me if I'm wrong, don't some of these issues actually result in some kind of legal culpability? If I were her, I would want to make damn sure that I'm not somehow responsible for any illegal activity. This is getting shadier by the minute.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:34 PM
calmdown

Canadian traffic causing my video feed to be wonky, mine too George ;-)

Old
12-04-2012, 06:34 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsinottawa View Post
They all seem really...confused. Scruggs knows she wants information. But no one seems to really know whats going on. This is super weird.
It's not really weird. These people have a track record of making decisions without considering the data at hand, or requiring that it be produced before they go to a vote.

Case in point: Knaack essentially saying "we just didn't understand what that risk management stuff was about, how could we be responsible for this?"... reality check Mrs. Knaack: figuring out what those things are about isn't just another item in your job description, it's why your job exists.

Glendale is a story we like to follow because it's related to hockey but elected officials everywhere often fail to grasp the extent of their responsibility regarding those issues.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:41 PM
calmdown

Quote:
It's not really weird. These people have a track record of making decisions without considering the data at hand, or requiring that it be produced before they go to a vote.

Case in point: Knaack essentially saying "we just didn't understand what that risk management stuff was about, how could we be responsible for this?"... reality check Mrs. Knaack: figuring out what those things are about isn't just another item in your job description, it's why your job exists.

Glendale is a story we like to follow because it's related to hockey but elected officials everywhere often fail to grasp the extent of their responsibility regarding those issues.
Irresponsibles...

Old
12-04-2012, 06:41 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Canadian traffic causing my video feed to be wonky, mine too George ;-)
Well, I did complain about the CoG allowing out-of-towners to talk in their meetings. Maybe they took it too far and cut us off...

Maybe this is the first step of cutbacks. no more T1 internet in Glendale... instead we get dropped down to 56K dialup.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:43 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Well, I did complain about the CoG allowing out-of-towners to talk in their meetings. Maybe they took it too far and cut us off...
A good one but it was about a tweet of George Fallar... Even him has been boycott lol

Old
12-04-2012, 06:48 PM
calmdown

In reality, I think that after Moody's affair, lot of people in US wanted to see how this could happend ;-) In Canada, realy nobody wonders about what is appening in Glendale except few guys here not enough to bug a website... But Americans citizens must be wondering what is happening in Glendale...

Old
12-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
edit -- gotta love Alvarez's Winnie the Pooh Christmas sweatshirt at a council workshop.
I logged in just so I can see that...

Edit: Did she take it off? Oh, pooh....

Last edited by Evil Doctor: 12-04-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 06:55 PM
calmdown

19:54 Eastern time, back to normal, I suppose peoples got bored ;-)

Old
12-04-2012, 06:59 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
I logged in just so I can see that...
Come on! ED, she's cute... But she's sick and I admire her dedication for the city. She always have good questions... I know, she's not a Pamela but she seem realy to wonder for the peoples who voted for her

And notice, she is the only one not in grey or other fade colors... The only one that contrast lol

And if you watch all the workshop, she was the only one asking if it was legal to make those transfers long ago and she was told that it was until last week after the audit...

Last edited by calmdown: 12-04-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 07:13 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
haha - she's a plant from Winnipeg

Old
12-04-2012, 07:25 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
And if you watch all the workshop, she was the only one asking if it was legal to make those transfers long ago and she was told that it was until last week after the audit...
wait, what?! how many workshops have you watched?! Here I thought I had a problem...

Closed Thread