HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVI: Get Your Kicks On Thread LXVI

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
... no worries. Discussing tax rates comparatively is edifying & on topic.

Old
12-13-2012, 07:49 AM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
So then by your own argument, Edmonton and Quebec city are about to waste millions on building new arenas.

Or does it compute differently up north???
There is one major difference, but I'll get to that in a minute. Yes, Edmonton and Quebec City are about to waste millions on building new arenas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
But if I understood the point of the article CGG linked, there are no benefits from a city or municipality building any sports facilities period. Doesn't matter if it's replacing one. By his argument those old arenas weren't beneficial either when they were built..

I'm not against Edmonton or QC building arenas. But there have been way too many times general themed arguments being used against Glendale end up being somewhat hypocritical.
Not hypocritical at all. You're trying to paint this too much in broad strokes, equating any arena project in Canada to the bloody disaster in Glendale. They are not the same. There are a few prevailing issues here that you are trying to ignore.

I don't for one second think all government layers throwing money into the Edmonton and Quebec City rinks will turn a profit on those endeavors. Not by a long shot. But consider the following:

- As always, we're looking at Glendale throwing additional money to subsidize a private business, above and beyond the initial arena construction subsidy and sweetheart lease agreement. It's one thing for a city to waste money on an arena, but there are certain reasons to do so, even if they know they won't make money off it. They won't make money off building a city hall or a fire station either, but if a city deems it desirable to build an arena, so be it. It's another thing entirely to flush $15 million a year down the toilet to subsidize an arena manager's money-losing operation with no hope at all in ever recovering even half that money.

- As far as I know, subsidizing a hockey team owner is not illegal in Quebec City. If the public wants to do that with their money they are not violating a state law.

- Although they likely won't turn a profit on an area, Quebec City will actually charge rent to the tenant, meaning the city gets paid by someone for the right to use the arena. In Glendale it seems to work the other way - here's an arena, you rent it from us and we give you $15 million for your troubles.

- Compare the two situations if you will, but it should be beyond obvious that hockey is far more popular in Edmonton and Quebec than Glendale. Hockey will work up north in those two cities, and there will always be people who want to play there - with or without an NHL team. Hockey has been and will continue to be a disaster in Glendale.

- I would compare Glendale's building and ongonig subsidy of an NHL arena to Edmonton deciding one day they were going to spend $180 million on a bullfighting arena, then pay some unknown guys $15 million a year to run the bullfighting arena, which, if all goes well, would generate $2.5 million a year to the city of Edmonton in sales taxes and ticket charges. A state-of-the-art bullfighting facility in Edmonton attracting the top bullfighters in the world for 41 nights a year is pretty much a certain money loser. Same with hockey in Glendale. Not only that, but Glendale is kicking in another $300 million knowing that hockey in the city is a proven loser, with a long 16 year disastrous history, whereas someone could try to convince me that bullfighting in Edmonton might work, i.e. it's not a proven failure yet.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:02 AM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Hamilton? A little since we get looked at as the armpit of Canada, our city council is demented, and our citizens are stuck in the past.

My point was that your english, while good enough to understand, is slightly "off". It took me a second to figure out why.
So I apologize, at it was not specified, I tough I was beeing BS again because I was not from the right place to write about Glendale

Old
12-13-2012, 09:34 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Sorry Kimosabe errr Killion

My last posts first comment was a little over the top.

Look, Coyotes Fans, no one is blaming you for the franchise failing, we are blaming the rest of the community for not supporting them. The problem therein lies with the lack of support, unfortunately there just isn't enough fans within this market.

But, bringing an AHL team to not only fill 41 nights of the year at a much lesser cost will definitely help rebuild the market allowing for families to become interested in hockey in the sweltering heat.

It is unfortunate but those from Winnipeg and Quebec know what it is like to lose a team, is isn't fun, it hurts, but life goes on.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:02 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

You can't blame someone for not supporting something they don't like. You should blame the NHL.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:20 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
You can't blame someone for not supporting something they don't like. You should blame the NHL.
Blame the NHL for the market not supporting their team? WOT?

Old
12-13-2012, 10:25 AM
cheswick

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post

If you relocate a cricket team to Winnipeg and no one goes to the games, is it the fault of the people of Winnipeg or the fault of the league for putting a cricket team in Winnipeg where no one cares about it.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:

It is the fault of the NHL as they approved a location where maybe they did not do enough market research just so that they could get fees. It is also their fault for keeping the franchise there even with 15 years of history of declining/no fan support

Old
12-13-2012, 11:26 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
But the general point is that the province will get tax receipts from the sales of tickets, merchandise, etc (yes some of it will come at the expense of something else but some will be new spending) and taxes on the team payroll. so its not a bad deal. Before Killion drops the hammer for us getting off topic, part of the problem with the way this was done in Glendale was that all the financing burden was on Glendale.
At the provincial level, almost all of the sales tax effect will be at the expense of something else -- only the added income from out-of-province visitors will add to the total. My entertainment budget is fixed so the province gets the same amount whether I spend my budget on Nords tickets or movies or whatever else.

It's mostly the same idea with income taxes although the impact is a lot harder to estimate.

scenario 1: no Nords
I spent all my budget at the corner bar and Best Buy -> those guys pay their employees -> those employees pay taxes

scenario 2: with Nords
I spent all my budget on hockey -> the Nords pay their employees and players -> those guys pay taxes.

Players will have a higher marginal tax rate than the guy at the corner bar. That's it. The NPV of that difference is not $200 million.

Those are still indirect revenues and nobody will ever be able to show that the 50% investment in the new arena is a positive NPV project for the provincial government. Just like we all laughed at Beasley/staff's numbers when they tried to argue that Glendale recouped their AMF payment through increased indirect sales taxes at Westgate. Any estimate will be unreliable and no matter how outlandish the assumptions are, the net cost may be reduced but would never go down to zero. The reason it went through at the provincial level is that this is a positive "political NPV" project, not because of the financials.

To hopefully get back to Glendale, the problem isn't necessarily with the initial decision to build the arena -- you can't ever really find a good financial rationale for those infrastructure projects other than "we need to do this". You can be for it (most people here it seems) or against it (Fugu, Dado and a few others.. and Patrick Hruby) -- it's a question of ideology. The difference is when the COG decided to double-down on its losses by agreeing to the AMF to pay for more than the operational expenses, in a legal framework that includes Arizona's gift clause. Even when the ONLY focus of those guys has been the city's financial situation (basically ever since Beasley left), they still can't get it right.

(edit -- sorry OA)

Old
12-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
- I would compare Glendale's building and ongonig subsidy of an NHL arena to Edmonton deciding one day they were going to spend $180 million on a bullfighting arena, then pay some unknown guys $15 million a year to run the bullfighting arena, which, if all goes well, would generate $2.5 million a year to the city of Edmonton in sales taxes and ticket charges. A state-of-the-art bullfighting facility in Edmonton attracting the top bullfighters in the world for 41 nights a year is pretty much a certain money loser. Same with hockey in Glendale. Not only that, but Glendale is kicking in another $300 million knowing that hockey in the city is a proven loser, with a long 16 year disastrous history, whereas someone could try to convince me that bullfighting in Edmonton might work, i.e. it's not a proven failure yet.
To make the comparison more valid, you would need to also shrink Edmonton's population size and tax base by more than 70%, so that its financial capacity would be severely strained by the addition of this amount of debt and long-term commitment to subsidize the NHL team. After all, these actions by Glendale were seen to materially affect Glendale's financial stability enough to earn substantial hits to their credit rating.

Then again, perhaps Moody's is being influenced by Canadian relocationists and they don't understand how bad an owner Moyes was, and how Gretzky was a lousy overpaid coach.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:51 AM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
At the provincial level, almost all of the sales tax effect will be at the expense of something else -- only the added income from out-of-province visitors will add to the total. My entertainment budget is fixed so the province gets the same amount whether I spend my budget on Nords tickets or movies or whatever else.

It's mostly the same idea with income taxes although the impact is a lot harder to estimate.

scenario 1: no Nords
I spent all my budget at the corner bar and Best Buy -> those guys pay their employees -> those employees pay taxes

scenario 2: with Nords
I spent all my budget on hockey -> the Nords pay their employees and players -> those guys pay taxes.

Players will have a higher marginal tax rate than the guy at the corner bar. That's it. The NPV of that difference is not $200 million.

Those are still indirect revenues and nobody will ever be able to show that the 50% investment in the new arena is a positive NPV project for the provincial government. Just like we all laughed at Beasley/staff's numbers when they tried to argue that Glendale recouped their AMF payment through increased indirect sales taxes at Westgate. Any estimate will be unreliable and no matter how outlandish the assumptions are, the net cost may be reduced but would never go down to zero. The reason it went through at the provincial level is that this is a positive "political NPV" project, not because of the financials.

To hopefully get back to Glendale, the problem isn't necessarily with the initial decision to build the arena -- you can't ever really find a good financial rationale for those infrastructure projects other than "we need to do this". You can be for it (most people here it seems) or against it (Fugu, Dado and a few others.. and Patrick Hruby) -- it's a question of ideology. The difference is when the COG decided to double-down on its losses by agreeing to the AMF to pay for more than the operational expenses, in a legal framework that includes Arizona's gift clause. Even when the ONLY focus of those guys has been the city's financial situation (basically ever since Beasley left), they still can't get it right.

(edit -- sorry OA)
All valid points, but you also have some of the following:

1) People who divert spending that would be outside the province to Nords. There will be people who swap out roadtrips and vacations to for Nords season tickets.

2) Tourism. I have no reason/plans to visit QC. If the Nords come back I am doing a trip. There will be others like me. If you make the playoffs there will be all kinds of out-of-towners coming to town

3) Other events. This arena will be able to attract events that Colisee Pepsi won't

Plus as we mentioned the taxes on Nords players and staff.

maybe its not going to be $200 million but its not a horrible deal considering how much Quebecers like hockey

Old
12-13-2012, 11:56 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
All valid points, but you also have some of the following:

1) People who divert spending that would be outside the province to Nords. There will be people who swap out roadtrips and vacations to for Nords season tickets.

2) Tourism. I have no reason/plans to visit QC. If the Nords come back I am doing a trip. There will be others like me. If you make the playoffs there will be all kinds of out-of-towners coming to town

3) Other events. This arena will be able to attract events that Colisee Pepsi won't

Plus as we mentioned the taxes on Nords players and staff.

maybe its not going to be $200 million but its not a horrible deal considering how much Quebecers like hockey
All valid points. I'm glad that we are now out of the financial realm and that the justification is now purely political

Old
12-13-2012, 01:23 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
If you relocate a cricket team to Winnipeg and no one goes to the games, is it the fault of the people of Winnipeg or the fault of the league for putting a cricket team in Winnipeg where no one cares about it.
Valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
It is the fault of the NHL as they approved a location where maybe they did not do enough market research just so that they could get fees. It is also their fault for keeping the franchise there even with 15 years of history of declining/no fan support
Hey, let's also not forget that Glendale ponied up $50M to keep the team the last two years out of the three the team has been owned by the NHL.

You are half right. When the team was moved to Arizona there was an owner in place, an arena (albeit it was old), and a fanbase (at least in Phoenix there was). This all changed when the team relocated to Glendale.

The NHL was ready (and willing) to move the team to Winnipeg should a vote to approve spending $25M to buy more time be unsuccessful. Money talks, ******** walks, Bettman only kept the team in Glendale because the money is flowing, if it stops, bye bye Coyotes.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:51 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Well it looks like poor ol Ken just wasted the first 2 weeks.

Quote:
After a review of the above-referenced application, it appears that the Application for Referendum Petition Serial Number filed by BTS (Back to Sanity) on November 29, 2012 is not complete. A complete application is required before signatures may be collected on a referendum petition.

Letter from the City Clerk: http://glendalefirst.org/wp-content/...Sanity-ltr.pdf
Interesting. Looks like Jones is starting back at zero signatures as soon as he can get this corrected?

12-13-2012, 02:05 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Interesting. Looks like Jones is starting back at zero signatures as soon as he can get this corrected?
Was he materially above zero anyway?

Old
12-13-2012, 02:19 PM
GuelphStormer

so ... any new word on jamison buying the team?

Old
12-13-2012, 02:40 PM
goyotes

That's a good one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post

Old
12-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Just his statements of a couple of days ago
on the radio; "hopes to close by mid-January".

Old
12-13-2012, 03:01 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Jones did his part the last time. He got people talking about it and thinking about what the CoG is doing re: the Coyotes. Nothing wrong with that. And if it doesn't look like he will be even close to getting the names he needs ( and if he has to start all over it sure looks like he won't ) he should stop trying and go talk to the GWI.

Other than Jamison having something go wrong and not come up with the money, the GWI is Jones' last chance. Then again maybe the GWI has been approached, they just can't do anything until Jamison signs the lease.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:07 PM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Just his statements of a couple of days ago
on the radio; "hopes to close by mid-January".
Since he doesn't specify a year, I have to ask. Which one? There is novel that takes place during the American Civil War titled Across Five Aprils. It will be five Mays in 2013.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:41 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:

I blame the NHL for putting a franchise in a new unconventional market before it had the proper facilities and with a shakey ownership group to run it.

It's painfully obvious that the NHL felt that the "build it and they will come" approach that worked in traditional markets would also work as easily in the non-traditional ones.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
The word........is "no".

Old
12-13-2012, 04:05 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
There is one major difference, but I'll get to that in a minute. Yes, Edmonton and Quebec City are about to waste millions on building new arenas.

Not hypocritical at all. You're trying to paint this too much in broad strokes, equating any arena project in Canada to the bloody disaster in Glendale. They are not the same. There are a few prevailing issues here that you are trying to ignore.

I don't for one second think all government layers throwing money into the Edmonton and Quebec City rinks will turn a profit on those endeavors. Not by a long shot. But consider the following:

- As always, we're looking at Glendale throwing additional money to subsidize a private business, above and beyond the initial arena construction subsidy and sweetheart lease agreement. It's one thing for a city to waste money on an arena, but there are certain reasons to do so, even if they know they won't make money off it. They won't make money off building a city hall or a fire station either, but if a city deems it desirable to build an arena, so be it. It's another thing entirely to flush $15 million a year down the toilet to subsidize an arena manager's money-losing operation with no hope at all in ever recovering even half that money.

- As far as I know, subsidizing a hockey team owner is not illegal in Quebec City. If the public wants to do that with their money they are not violating a state law.

- Although they likely won't turn a profit on an area, Quebec City will actually charge rent to the tenant, meaning the city gets paid by someone for the right to use the arena. In Glendale it seems to work the other way - here's an arena, you rent it from us and we give you $15 million for your troubles.

- Compare the two situations if you will, but it should be beyond obvious that hockey is far more popular in Edmonton and Quebec than Glendale. Hockey will work up north in those two cities, and there will always be people who want to play there - with or without an NHL team. Hockey has been and will continue to be a disaster in Glendale.

Sorry CGG.... but your original post I responded to was more or less using the same broad brush and apply it to one situation. Sure we can take each city on a case by case basis and justify one over the other.... but that wasn't what you originally posted and not the point I was making.

I also pointed in a subsequent post that the original lease Glendale entered into is not all that different than the tentative one QC will be operating. Up until Jerry Moyes put the franchise into BK court, Glendale was getting money from rent, sales taxes, and surcharges to ticket sales at all arena events. The one big difference is I don't think Glendale was receiving a fee for the rights to manage the arena. But I do know they were not paying out for an arena manager. The BK changed all that.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:12 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

What happens if this falls apart?(That scenario sounds very likely to me) Finish the season out in AZ and go to Canada after that? The NHL will have to foot the bill since i assume they wont be getting another 25 million dollar check from Glendale.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
Since he doesn't specify a year, I have to ask. Which one? There is novel that takes place during the American Civil War titled Across Five Aprils. It will be five Mays in 2013.
Interesting. Dont think Ive ever read that... theres a song by Blue Rodeo called 5 Days in May from the album 5 Days in July. I guess they couldnt make their minds up huh? Confusing... anyhoo, catchy number called Hasnt Hit Me Yet on it. Worth a listen Jim.

Closed Thread