HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVI: Get Your Kicks On Thread LXVI

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 08:19 AM
yotesreign

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
ASU has their own arena (Wells Fargo).

Their football stadium is about to be shutdown for a complete renovation within the next 2-3 years and they've already turned down an offer to play at UoP in Glendale.
UoP would suck for the students who go to the football games. If they wind up needing to move for a couple seasons, Chase Field would make more sense because the light rail has stops on ASU's Tempe campus AND curbside at Chase Field making it a lot easier for students to go to games at Chase Field than it would be to go to Glendale.

But Glendale would be better than sending them to Tucson to play their home games. When I heard someone (not here) suggest Tucson I almost threw up in my mouth.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
ASU has their own arena (Wells Fargo).

Their football stadium is about to be shutdown for a complete renovation within the next 2-3 years and they've already turned down an offer to play at UoP in Glendale.
What's better then UoP for football in the area? I find baseball fields usually make for bad football stadiums but is Chase Field being considered?

Old
11-29-2012, 08:38 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
What's better then UoP for football in the area? I find baseball fields usually make for bad football stadiums but is Chase Field being considered?
UofP is a great option, but not for the students. There is no public transportation that goes out to the stadium like Tempe has with the light rail.

I mean hell, the current position of the football field, there is an apartment complex right across the main entrance. I'm not saying plenty of kids won't make the trip there, because I'm sure kids would love to come to ASU to be able to play in that great stadium that is UofP, but for a college campus it doesn't make sense. Hell, I'd just focus on building a new stadium somewhere on campus.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:40 AM
aj8000

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
So how would they go about persecuting me? I'll just go to quebec, they will love me if it works, and shelter me.

:sarc asm:
Well they did get Osama Bid Laden....

Old
11-29-2012, 09:27 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
A few comments:

1) It would be unusual for an owner of an NHL team not to have several companies for various purposes -- certainly separate entities that (i) lease (typical in US where most arenas are built and owned by public entities) and manage the arena and (ii) own the hockey team. All NHL owners do this even the few that own their own arenas, which is not the ideal situation for various reason -- mainly because you usually have to pay for the arena then and pay property taxes.

2) Of course Jamison's investors are only 'in' if the subsidy is provided. They most likely have an agreement that is "subject to" the COG providing the $320 million subsidy and that there are no obstacles to receiving the funds. Jamison "has" the money if the subsidies are guaranteed; he does not have the money until then. This is the same as a person that puts an offer on a house or business "subject to" certain conditions -- it is conditional on the subsidy. The investors' financing of the purchase (if any) of the Coyotes from financial institutions is likely conditional on that also.

That is how I see this.
What about the other side of that agreement? What happens if Glendale fails to perform? In some ways i see that as the more likely scenario. I still stick with my initial belief that GJ is a straw buyer and will in the end tell the COG that he is dropping his bid, blaming inadequate AMF subsidies and the CBA lockout!

Old
11-29-2012, 09:40 AM
SCP Guy

vCash: 50
Goldwater is yappy little dog....they bark bark bark but do nothing....the deal is done GWI will do northing but threaten this and that....the new mayor will come in and say I didn't sign this deal so it's not my fault....and the Yotes will stay in the COG is how I think this will end...... I wish them the best of luck and hope they can turn that franchise around and start to get full time fans in the stand for every game.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
http://www.kpho.com/story/20211492/c...-with-oponents

"I'm not overly happy with the decision made, but we'll take that decision and run with it the best we can," said Mayor-Elect Jerry Weiers. He will replace Scruggs next year. He says the council should not have voted on this issue until the new members were sworn in. "It is what it is, the council, the current council passed it. It's something I'm going to have to deal with," he said.

"Go down to City Hall tomorrow and get our information to start a referendum to get this thing to a public vote," Jones said.

The Goldwater Institute has been very vocal about not supporting a taxpayer-funded team. Lawyers with the conservative public policy group have threatened legal action before. CBS 5 News reached out to them today asking if they're going to challenge this current deal, they said, 'No comment."
You know, at first when I read the quotes above it struck me as though Weiers was sounding somewhat complacent. Rather timid. But when reading the whole article...

Quote:
Weiers says by the time he gets into office the ball will already be rolling with contracts signed so he's not going to push for any changes.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
GF

Not even in office and already back paddling!

Old
11-29-2012, 10:35 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
Not even in office and already back paddling!
Not so much "back paddling" as I see it, but more as getting ready to use the existing council as a excuse going forward for all the future issues that are going to happen. As well, I don't think the new Mayor can do anything other than "default" and just refuse to pay Jamison, if the deal is in stone by the time he takes office.

We will see how long he plays the " it was their fault " card.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:29 AM
aqib

If Jamison closes by 1/31/12 I'll believe it. I still have my doubts.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:48 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Goldwater is yappy little dog....they bark bark bark but do nothing....the deal is done GWI will do northing but threaten this and that....the new mayor will come in and say I didn't sign this deal so it's not my fault....and the Yotes will stay in the COG is how I think this will end...... I wish them the best of luck and hope they can turn that franchise around and start to get full time fans in the stand for every game.
You're a "glass is half empty" type fella aren't you

I have major doubts that Jamison signs the deal by the end of January with the holidays coming up this isn't on the radar, the new council will be active by the time Jamison is ready to sign.

Last edited by ajmidd12: 11-29-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old
11-29-2012, 12:10 PM
GuelphStormer

what makes anyone think GJ will purchase the team and sign the lease now when he would have had a better deal back in june.

if he and his mystery buyers were serious, he would have signed it then. he would have had higher front end subsidies, no non-hockey performance penalties, and (as gary would have advised him, no doubt) a free year of subsidies without no pesky operating expenses and salaries during the lockout.

now he's facing a much less attractive deal, and a horrendous challenge of filling seats in an apathetic town coming out of a momentum-killing lockout. talk about falling deeper and deeper into the hole.

it's funny how every time the glass gets spilled and more and more water pours out, people still seem to convince themselves that it's full.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:13 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
They literally can't do anything but yap unless and until Jamison actually signs the lease, which is at least 30 days out. Right now no one has violated the gift clause, they've only agreed to move forward with a lease agreement that will deliver a gigantic subsidy to Jamison and his mystery friends. Right now there is no lease. How can Goldwater sue anyone over a lease that hasn't been signed and, in the eyes of the law, doesn't actually exist?

Old
11-29-2012, 12:45 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
They literally can't do anything but yap unless and until Jamison actually signs the lease...
So what you're saying is... Minority Report wasn't a documentary? Damn.

Tom Cruise: You're under arrest!
Clark: What for?
TC: Violating the Gift Clause.
Clark: No I didn't!
TC: You will.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
halligan10

Absolutly make sense to me. The funny part was to watch the coyotes fans tuesday night cheering like this is a done deal. As you said, nothing happened with a better contract...this non sense will come to an end soon

QUOTE=GuelphStormer;56116299]what makes anyone think GJ will purchase the team and sign the lease now when he would have had a better deal back in june.

if he and his mystery buyers were serious, he would have signed it then. he would have had higher front end subsidies, no non-hockey performance penalties, and (as gary would have advised him, no doubt) a free year of subsidies without no pesky operating expenses and salaries during the lockout.

now he's facing a much less attractive deal, and a horrendous challenge of filling seats in an apathetic town coming out of a momentum-killing lockout. talk about falling deeper and deeper into the hole.

it's funny how every time the glass gets spilled and more and more water pours out, people still seem to convince themselves that it's full.[/QUOTE]

Old
11-29-2012, 01:12 PM
CGG

Can Jamison still manage the arena if there's no more NHL team? For example:

(1) Jamison signs lease and buys team
(2) Jamison collects outrageous AMF for 2012-13 despite the season being cancelled due to the lockout
(3) Jamison's mystery buyers crap out and the team ends up in bankruptcy, again
(4) Jamison had a large portion of the $170 million purchase price funded by debt, which will get paid off when the team is sold in bankruptcy
(5) Jamison loses whatever equity he had in the team, but still has $320 million coming in from the AMF over the next 20 years so he'll be fine
(6) AMF gets slightly reduced for Coyotes not playing there any more, but Jamison still wins big

Old
11-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Not so much "back paddling" as I see it, but more as getting ready to use the existing council as a excuse going forward for all the future issues that are going to happen. As well, I don't think the new Mayor can do anything other than "default" and just refuse to pay Jamison, if the deal is in stone by the time he takes office.

We will see how long he plays the " it was their fault " card.
I agree. Glendale was going to have to make so very difficult and unpopular positions regardless. He has been handed a gift - he can continuously blame the decisions of the previous council and the huge commitment to Jamison as the reason for cuts.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:50 PM
aj8000

vCash: 3000
Maybe JIG has the money now or a new investor since one of the winners for the powerball was from Arizona. Any of you yotes fans holding the ticket? I have heard you guys talk about buying the team if you won?

"The winning ticket sold in Arizona was purchased at a 4 Sons Food Store in Fountain Hills, Ariz., state lottery officials said."

Worth 275 million I believe before tax

Old
11-29-2012, 01:52 PM
GF

Where went the, "we will not sacrifice our way of living so they can maintain theirs" mentality?

To me this is back paddling. They are on the path of sacrificing their way of living. He's not sworn in and already making compromises on the very bases he got elected on.

Convictions didn't last more than a few days...

Old
11-29-2012, 02:12 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Where went the, "we will not sacrifice our way of living so they can maintain theirs" mentality?

To me this is back paddling. They are on the path of sacrificing their way of living. He's not sworn in and already making compromises on the very bases he got elected on.

Cmon, people give some slack to the new mayor.

As far I know, the deal is like a binding contract between two parties. Now, if you finance a car from the dealer...guess what happens if you don't pay ? Your cellphone on contract, guess what happens ?

The new mayor and council could indeed have their hands tieds with this because cutting city personnel and services is not contract based, but deals like the Coyotes one is, the city could pay the annual fee for the next 20 years or refuse to pay, end up in court and still have to pay the amount plus fees, penalties and interest.

If you think that Jamison or his investors care about Glendale I can tell you they care as much as I do...hint I DON'T.

They care till the ink gets on the paper, after that, they won't even wait for the ink to dry before heading to bank to cash in their first annual payment for 2012/2013 season even tho the season was cancelled.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:26 PM
aqib

Quote:

This is a unique situation where a major undertaking is rammed through by an outgoing council especially since only 3 out of 7 will be around to deal with the consequences. I don't see it as back-peddling so say you disagree with something then say you'll deal with it after it gets rammed down your throat.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:38 PM
GF

Well, let's just say that I expected at least a fight from the new mayor to at least try to amend some parts of the deal. I don't know if he can legally do that. But I'd expect someone to be against the lease to say something along the lines of, "we'll do anything in our power to stop this non-sense". Not "we'll go along with it and not push for any change..."

Maybe that's just me reading too much into this.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:44 PM
aqib

Quote:
Well, let's just say that I expected at least a fight from the new mayor to at least try to amend some parts of the deal. I don't know if he can legally do that. But I'd expect someone to be against the lease to say something along the lines of, "we'll do anything in our power to stop this non-sense". Not "we'll go along with it and not push for any change..."

Its too early to speculate what this new mayor is going to do because we don't know much about him and how he operates. For all we know he has whispered to Skeete "if you sign this damn thing I swear on all that is holy that not only will you not get the City Manager job full time, you won't have a job with this city or any other city in America" or he could be like "sweet, if we go downhill I can blame the council that isn't here anymore"

Old
11-29-2012, 03:08 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:

Let's just wait and see what happens. Who knows

... maybe he is already talking to the GWI to get them to sue when the lease is signed. The new Mayor is a citizen of Glendale and it is within his rights to get the GWI to act on his behalf. Although having the Mayor to get the GWI to act against himself and the city he is Mayor of ...would be rather hilarious.

... maybe the new Mayor just won't pay and tell Jamison...

... maybe the Mayans are right.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:11 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
UofP is a great option, but not for the students. There is no public transportation that goes out to the stadium like Tempe has with the light rail.

I mean hell, the current position of the football field, there is an apartment complex right across the main entrance. I'm not saying plenty of kids won't make the trip there, because I'm sure kids would love to come to ASU to be able to play in that great stadium that is UofP, but for a college campus it doesn't make sense. Hell, I'd just focus on building a new stadium somewhere on campus.
Would it be any worse than the trip Miami students have to make to the Dolphins stadium? Do ASU students usually live on campus? Just curious. No smack here.

Closed Thread