HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), BCHL, CJAHL, and its leagues.

Players between the 3 leagues ?

Old
11-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Greasy Sliders

vCash: 500
Players between the 3 leagues ?

Is there some sort of rule that a player can move between the leagues ? Also has this happened before ?

Imagine Inter-League trades

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:20 AM
Lazarrr

Once a player is released from their CHL team they are free to sign anywhere. Mike Hoffman (Sens prospect), was released from Kitchner Rangers and signed with Drummondville. Former 67's goalie Michael Nishi now plays for Gatineau. Jacob De Serres played in two memorial cup finals, one with Saint John and the other with Brandon.

I believe teams are allowed to make trades amongst the other leagues, but I'm not sure on the rules. Maybe only import draft picks or something.

Lazarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime View Post
I believe teams are allowed to make trades amongst the other leagues, but I'm not sure on the rules. Maybe only import draft picks or something.
They aren't even allowed to trade import draft picks. You have to be waived out of the league that you're in, and depending on the circumstance, waived into the league that you're trying to go to. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you only don't have to be waived in if you're 19 or 20. I know that today we couldn't just grab Claude Giroux like we did.

I think that they should allow inter-league trades. It would lead to an interesting dynamic. You'd need a much larger scouting staff though...

Hey Baie-Comeau! We really like this one guy that you have, and think he would make a great addition to our lineup for a cup run. Would you take a first round WHL draft pick for him? Next thing you know, the Drakkar have a 6'5" farm boy from Manitoba on their blueline.

Sure, you might say that said farm boy would have no interest in going to Québec to play, but the CHL drafts out of Europe to begin with. Drafting out of other parts of Canada can't be much more difficult in terms of convincing players to report.

My big issue with inter-league trades though is that they would probably be really shady. I imagine that there would be lots of envelopes of money being used to talk players into reporting.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
They aren't even allowed to trade import draft picks. You have to be waived out of the league that you're in, and depending on the circumstance, waived into the league that you're trying to go to. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you only don't have to be waived in if you're 19 or 20. I know that today we couldn't just grab Claude Giroux like we did.

I think that they should allow inter-league trades. It would lead to an interesting dynamic. You'd need a much larger scouting staff though...

Hey Baie-Comeau! We really like this one guy that you have, and think he would make a great addition to our lineup for a cup run. Would you take a first round WHL draft pick for him? Next thing you know, the Drakkar have a 6'5" farm boy from Manitoba on their blueline.

Sure, you might say that said farm boy would have no interest in going to Québec to play, but the CHL drafts out of Europe to begin with. Drafting out of other parts of Canada can't be much more difficult in terms of convincing players to report.

My big issue with inter-league trades though is that they would probably be really shady. I imagine that there would be lots of envelopes of money being used to talk players into reporting.
I am not 100% but am pretty sure that unless you are 20 you must pass through waivers in your league first.

Ex: you live in ontario but have never played a CHL game and would like to sign in the QMJHL. you first must clear OHL waivers before you can sign in the Q

Rangersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote