HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Haggerty: Jacobs should be held responsible

Old
12-06-2012, 02:22 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

vCash: 500
There are those saying that Jacobs has been the most helpful owner during these recent negotiations.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...s-lawton-says/

I don't understand the Jacobs hate over what may or may not have happened with the Winnipeg rep. As Puck Daddy said eloquently, there's a double standered in effect here because of Jacob's reputation.

Quote:
Roman Hamrlik is vilified as uninformed and traitorous for urging Donald Fehr to cut a deal; players like Troy Brouwer are applauded for smacking him down.

How is that any different that Jacobs reprimanding another owner for attempting to break solidarity?

Face it: Had this been Shawn Thornton humbling, say, Zach Bogosian as a gullible newbie that should know his role and shut his month, the Boston media would be fitting him for a crown as King of the Union.
If there's anything that you can take from the Haggerty piece, it's this: Over the years Joe Haggerty has gone from solid reporter to a guy who has an axe to grind and isn't afraid to show it. He's more hack than reporter now and his articles tend to sound more and more like he's lobbying for a job at TMZ or the Enquirer. He's earned himself a well deserved bad reputation in recent years for those of us on the Bruins board that are linked to his crap.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

I guess in my haste I don't see where it is said he was helpful? Can you highlight please?

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
happyhab*

If I'm a bruins player I would never resign with Boston, that's how you teach this clown a lesson.

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:11 PM
du5566*

If the NHL season is lost Jacobs will be at fault. He isn’t the only one responsible but he is top 3 or 4. Guy is a straight miser and could not care less about the Bruins, their fans, the NHL or hockey in general. This is a business for Jacobs and nothing more. What he doesn’t understand and what drives people to hate the man is his unwillingness to realize that regardless of the fact that he currently owns the Bruins the team belongs to the city and the NHL is bigger than his profit margins. Jeremy Jacobs is the worst kind of owner.

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:20 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I guess in my haste I don't see where it is said he was helpful? Can you highlight please?
Nowhere does it say Jacobs has been helpful..... And if there is a double standard in regards to the owners it's more than likely because the players are not trying to screw the owners out of contracts they both just agreed to.

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:49 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Yes, and none of the Canadian markets did. And a number of teams won Cups in that CBA that were not on the map at the beginning, such as Pittsburgh, Carolina and Anaheim. The kings to a lesser extent count here too.

Sounds to me like the teams that know how to survive in America are better at really getting the concept of what it takes to compete and win, while Canadian teams have a leetle beety teeny tiny tendency to rest on their laurels in comparison.
This is just another post in your crusade to condemn Canadians because a couple of posters in QC/Hamilton suggested moving the Coyotes to Canada.

Vancouver was one victory away from winning the cup, and Ottawa made the SCF not too long ago. They are not really "resting" on their laurels when these teams are vilified for not improving the team any chance they get.

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:58 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Former player agent and former NHL GM Brian Lawton, a hockey insider, posed an interesting question on Twitter today:

“Shocking Update #CBA meetings. The owner said to have been the most helpful to players in the meetings. Not who most have assumed!*Yes (Pittsburgh owner) Ron Burkle has been a voice of reason but the answer is and most people won’t believe it but it is true…….JEREMY JACOBS.”

Old
12-06-2012, 06:59 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
Nowhere does it say Jacobs has been helpful..... And if there is a double standard in regards to the owners it's more than likely because the players are not trying to screw the owners out of contracts they both just agreed to.
Did you not read it...?