Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Sami Vatanen

Old
02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
JohnnyDuck93

vCash: 500
Sami Vatanen

My Dad is friends with somebody who has been with the organization for a while and told him that Sami has been working with the best finnish skating teacher that worked with all the finnish pros for the last 30 years and said Sami is the best skater he has ever seen and if he went in the draft right now he'd go in the top 5.So I was wondering when he would be with the team and would he go to the prospect camp.

JohnnyDuck93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:28 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

My friend's friend, who knows a friend who's friends with BM who said he's trading for Parise, Chara, Weber and Suter!

Anyway, Sami will need at least a year in the AHL to get use to the NA game IMO, I'm interested to see how much more weight he puts on, probably needs to put on a bit more. His height could be an issue, but he's a similar size to someone like Lubo I believe, so perhaps it won't be as big an issue, specially as his skating is great.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Vatanen should probably go to US during summer and spend a season or two in the AHL before the Ducks can use him. He's not as short as people say (already taller than Visnovsky) but he needs more muscle and get used to the NA style of hockey.

The Ducks' defence should be interesting in couple of years when they could have Fowler on the 1st pairing, Schultz on 2nd and Vatanen on 3rd. Every pairing has a well moving, hard shooting, offensive defender. Also I like the idea of Vatanen playing against 3rd and 4th lines.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:31 PM
JohnnyDuck93

To be honest i don't think they have updated his weight since the draft i think he is about 180

JohnnyDuck93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:39 PM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDuck93 View Post
To be honest i don't think they have updated his weight since the draft i think he is about 180
Eliteprospects has his weight at 176 and height 5'10". Vatanen's team's website has very similar numbers so I would trust those numbers.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:43 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Eliteprospects has his weight at 176 and height 5'10". Vatanen's team's website has very similar numbers so I would trust those numbers.
Yeah but they don't update those numbers every month or anything.

Either way, Vatanen would have a tough time making this team this year

Lubo
Beauch
Cam
Sbisa
Schultz
Lyd
Brook
Guenin
Clark

+ maybe a guy like Trouba, Reinhart, Ceci, or Maata.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:02 PM
starduckets

Don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but Vatanen had 2 goals last night.

Highlights here (scroll down):
http://www.nelonenpro.fi/j%C3%A4%C3%...ps-jyp-1422012

starduckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

My guess is that a good portion of next season will see either Schultz or Vatanen on the 3rd pairing and that player will also be on the 1st PP unit, because of the all important right shooting bomb. It'll be interesting to see which player wins that role. Despite what many think, I think Sami actually has the inside edge, as I think he's probably more polished defensively and has a better shot. He also plays on basically NHL sized rinks, so it shouldn't be a hard for him to adapt to the rink size.

Conversely, Schultz has an advantage in that he's likely going to see NHL time this season, so he's going to get the first crack at making an NHL impression. If he does really well, I could see him being the guy that gets the benefit of the doubt if they're neck and neck come next season. He's also taller and a little heavier, though I'd take short and compact over tall and lanky when it comes to NHL readiness, tall and lanky generally seems to take a longer time adjusting.

Anyways, it'll be fun watching these two battle it out come training camp.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:11 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar Strokes View Post
My guess is that a good portion of next season will see either Schultz or Vatanen on the 3rd pairing and that player will also be on the 1st PP unit, because of the all important right shooting bomb. It'll be interesting to see which player wins that role. Despite what many think, I think Sami actually has the inside edge, as I think he's probably more polished defensively and has a better shot. He also plays on basically NHL sized rinks, so it shouldn't be a hard for him to adapt to the rink size.

Conversely, Schultz has an advantage in that he's likely going to see NHL time this season, so he's going to get the first crack at making an NHL impression. If he does really well, I could see him being the guy that gets the benefit of the doubt if they're neck and neck come next season. He's also taller and a little heavier, though I'd take short and compact over tall and lanky when it comes to NHL readiness, tall and lanky generally seems to take a longer time adjusting.

Not a bad situation to be in really. We really do have some great PMD options and have some good players to replace Lubo in a few years.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:

I think either way Schultz has the benefit of the doubt. He's grown up playing the NA game. Vatanen will need to adjust, great camp or not.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I think either way Schultz has the benefit of the doubt. He's grown up playing the NA game. Vatanen will need to adjust, great camp or not.
The FEL is extremely close to the NA style of game. There shouldn't be any adjustment that has to do with the style of game. He'll need to adjust to the speed and size of the players, like every rookie does. In fact, I'd argue Schultz will have a harder time adjusting, as the FEL is a lot closer to NHL hockey than the NCAA.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
The FEL is extremely close to the NA style of game. There shouldn't be any adjustment that has to do with the style of game. He'll need to adjust to the speed and size of the players, like every rookie does. In fact, I'd argue Schultz will have a harder time adjusting, as the FEL is a lot closer to NHL hockey than the NCAA.
I am inclined to agree with this. Yes, the ice surface will be an adjustment for him, but playing in a pro league is a harder one for Schultz, while Sami has already proven he can do that to the degree he's considered among the very best in a respectable professional league. For everyone that does not have the chance to evaluate the chances based on personally scouting the two, Vatanen should be considered the favorite to win a spot at first.

I also appreciate the general patience, but I don't think it's a given that Vatanen will need a "year plus" in the A. It might not hurt to give him that if we're in a position to do so, but I believe we could be a little more optimistic about his timeframe.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I'm with the 2 previous posts. Based on the leagues and play within the league, I think Vatanen would be closer the big show than Schultz. Also I think he's been underrated while Schultz has been overrated.

Although I admit that's with having seen little of either and not really knowing.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:14 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Schultz will be on the team next year, no doubt in my mind, he is that good. He will blow alot of people away once they see him. Vatanen will need a year to adjust but he's a stud in in his own right. He's so competitive, that I think he'll make it and reach his potential.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:15 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I'm with the 2 previous posts. Based on the leagues and play within the league, I think Vatanen would be closer the big show than Schultz. Also I think he's been underrated while Schultz has been overrated.

Although I admit that's with having seen little of either and not really knowing.
Schultz is overrated? How often have you watched him play? very perplexing statement, he's by far the best defensemen I have seen in college hockey the last two years

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:47 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...aa_defensemen/

He's also been hailed as the best defenseman not playing in the NHL. Even if the praise is a bit off base, if he's any where close, that's still a hell of a player.

Old
02-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Finnpin

-Half year or a year in AHL would be good but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team rightaway. His defensive side of the game have improved a lot.

-He has time to beef himself when he arrives to ducks organization.

-The next "Reijo Ruotsalainen"

Last edited by Finnpin: 02-17-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:57 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
+ maybe a guy like Trouba
With each win the dream dies a little more.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Pepper

Doesn't NCAA have European sized-rinks?

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Tuomaz

1 and a half game coming back from injury and already 2+2. He is already showing that he is the best D in the FEL. I would be really dissapointed if he isn't going to be an impact player in the NHL.

Last edited by Tuomaz: 02-17-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:11 PM
MightyMatt

Having never seen both of them play, I would still think that Vatanen would need much less time adjusting to the NHL game than Schultz. Sami is playing in a professional league against men and is totally dominating. Not to take anything away from what Schultz is doing but thats a big difference than playing in the NCAA. Im just glad we have both these guys. We just need to find some physical defensive rocks to play with them!

MightyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:51 PM
heksagon

Yeah, Vatanen 0+2 today. The second assist was a pretty nice break-out pass.

If someone is interested, This ---> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...A&feature=plcp youtube channel has most of Vatanen's SM-Liiga goals + 2 national team goals. He has a bomb of a shot, reminds me of Visnovsky's.

(Just click "play all")

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Sigismund

Greetings, my first message here so 'scuse me french (and English and especially (the lack of) hockey slang).

I've had the priviledge of watching Sami's games for the last three years in SM-Liiga (FEL) and I cannot but say: he's really something else. Don't know what kind of a player Justin Schultz is, so I'm not gonna start comparing these two. Vatanen has smooth skating skills and is one of the best skaters I have ever seen in FEL. Some say he reminds us of the fellow-Finn Reijo Ruotsalainen, but his puck-possession ability makes him more offense-oriented player, thus making loads of points. He's also got quick and accurate shot, but not the heaviest possible.

I wouldn't dare to say how he'll make it in the NHL, but one thing is for sure: he's already playing with big bad boys - and usually he is the one that gives them the wedgie. But what I would say, is, that he's by far the best offensive d-man in FEL for the second... well what the hell... third season in a row. A natural, one might say.

Oh and btw, two games after his injury: 2+2pts.

Me? A fan? Already? Why not.

Sigismund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:25 AM
JabbaJabba

Welcome Sigismund! Thanks for your view on Vatanen.

Sami had 0+1 tonight when his team lost to red hot HIFK.

Old
02-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

to all those who says Vatanen must play a season or 2 in the AHL to adapt to the North American game... i present you...

Teeemu Selanne, straight to the NHL out of the Finish league. did pretty good.

Last edited by Seanconn*: 02-18-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote