HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXIV - November Rain

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

vCash: 500
News from Around the League - Part XXXIV - November Rain

...of game cancellations.

**** sakes.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Thunderfest
The Wumpus

It's perfect hockey-watching weather.

Sigh.

I don't have the energy or patience to articulate how frustrated and annoyed I am by this pathetic, self-righteous lockout. It just sucks.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:29 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
That Toronto sun article(I think it was them) from yesterday really puts things into perspective. Still don't side with the owners though either. They're just both dicks.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

oh man, this is getting hard to deal with

Old
10-26-2012, 07:22 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Suter mildly calls out Leipold for signing him to a contract that he knew he never wanted to pay out...

Is this the first case of someone actually going against the guy who signed the contract instead of Bettman?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...ntracts-afford

Quote:
"It's disappointing. If you can't afford to (sign contracts) then you shouldn't do it," Suter said. "(Leipold) signed us to contracts. At the time he said everything was fine. Yeah, it's disappointing. A couple months before, everything is fine, and now they want to take money out of our contracts that we already signed."

Old
10-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Yes, both sides are dicks. That's exactly right. I mean the players are so stupid because all they are doing is fighting a losing battle here. They're just going to continue to lose and lose and lose. But with that being said, I can understand why they don't want to just bend over and take it. the NHL owners are no ****ing better. Just because they'll ultimately win, doesn't mean that it's right to keep going down lockdown road. They're nothing more then bullies who are going to hold the league hostage until they get what they want. And then 7 years down the line they'll no longer want what they got and they'll hold the players out to get something different. Rinse and repeat. How tiring is this damn process? I'm completely sick of this **** already.

Yeah yeah, the owners are not making the profits that they want. Too bad. I can't have sympathy for any of them when they sign players to deals and have no intention of actually paying the #'s they agreed to in the first place.

This league can go sit on it as far as I'm concerned. You deal with the labor garbage every few years but the way this league handles things, it's just not right. It's too much now. It's hard to not take this lockout personal. I just find this completely insulting after the fans came back so strong in 05. "It was for the better of the league" Well **** you for sending us down this road again. I know a lot of you are just waiting for it to be over and for the games to start, but for me, they spoiled everything in my eyes. The thought of my money going in to the pockets of the greedy owners and players after a third damn lockout? After losing an entire season once before? It just does not sit well with me at all. But I'm just a fan. What about the people who work in the arenas and such? It's just not right.

Last edited by Sir Fenwick Corsi: 10-26-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 07:49 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Thanks Rockie for the new thread.

Can't believe I didn't notice this one.....grrr.

This is why I wish we were able to delete threads we create....now it makes me look stupid.

I even got the number wrong, too. I'm such a dunce.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:01 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
I mean the players are so stupid because all they are doing is fighting a losing battle here. They're just going to continue to lose and lose and lose. But with that being said, I can understand why they don't want to just bend over and take it. the NHL owners are no ****ing better. Just because they'll ultimately win, doesn't mean that it's right to keep going down lockdown road. They're nothing more then bullies who are going to hold the league hostage until they get what they want. And then 7 years down the line they'll no longer want what they got and they'll hold the players out to get something different. Rinse and repeat. How tiring is this damn process? I'm completely sick of this **** already.
I think if this finally gets through to the owners/league... we might see a turning point.
I was saying this the other day, and I still stand behind it.

If the owners want the players to make contractual and salary concessions... they're going to have to throw an incentive in there. No matter how half assed.
I don't know what it is, I don't know what the owners are willing to give up... but they have to dangle that carrot to get the players to meet them halfway.

With Fehr leading the way, if there is not even the most minute sense of victory in even the remotest areas of negotiations, nothing is getting agreed upon any time fast.

That is the biggest onus that I put upon the owners at this moment.
The players are going to get gutted and they know it, but after 04-05... they need something.
You could say that's on the players to find... but after last week, I don't think the players trust the owners to read more than 2 words of anything they put down on the table.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
More rumors of Bill Gallacher trying to buy a majority stake in the team.

Bill tried to buy the Dallas Stars and struck out.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/njd121026.html

Old
10-26-2012, 08:06 PM
manilaNJ

At this point it seems like just a rumor.
His name is probably in the ring for any NHL team at this point.
As was brought up with the initial rumors... it looks like he wants to find the cross benefits of having both an WHL and NHL teams.

But, I really like the idea of him being our new owner. I like everything that I've read.
Seems like one of the few people sniffing around that doesn't want an NHL team for the purpose of relocation.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
The Classic is really getting dumped monday? That's pretty darn early and pretty scary. Really don't know what the PA is hoping to achieve here.
Is it the PA pushing for it to get dumped? I think that's a decision made by the owners side.

And I think part of the reason why it's being dumped so early is because they have to think about the 24/7 HBO thing. They would have started filming that by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
You're not the only one that thinks it's a gimmick at this point. I still enjoy watching it though and look forward to it every year while I recover from a hangover from the night before.
It is a gimmick, but it is an extremely profitable gimmick and one of the league's marquee events, not one they will relinquish lightly.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I think if this finally gets through to the owners/league... we might see a turning point.
I was saying this the other day, and I still stand behind it.

If the owners want the players to make contractual and salary concessions... they're going to have to throw an incentive in there. No matter how half assed.
I don't know what it is, I don't know what the owners are willing to give up... but they have to dangle that carrot to get the players to meet them halfway.

With Fehr leading the way, if there is not even the most minute sense of victory in even the remotest areas of negotiations, nothing is getting agreed upon any time fast.

That is the biggest onus that I put upon the owners at this moment.
The players are going to get gutted and they know it, but after 04-05... they need something.
You could say that's on the players to find... but after last week, I don't think the players trust the owners to read more than 2 words of anything they put down on the table.
The only way this will get through is when there are empty seats all around the league (and for an extended period of time) once they "decide" to hammer somthing out. But I don't trust the fans of this sport. ****, I don't even trust myself! But it has to be done. You want these pigs to stop fighting over money? Don't give it to them. It's pretty simple. The message will get across once you threaten their pockets. I mean it's on full display right now. It's the only way. And I'd like to think there are a lot more who feel this way. NHL fans tend to be pretty loyal and I just hope that it blows up in all of their faces for taking those very people for granted.

As far as the players getting something, they also need to realize that the last CBA really worked out in their favor. Big time. And that was a battle they technically lost at the time! I know it's not easy to know they're going to have to give back, but they need to have perspective as well and realize the point in which they're giving back from.

It's very difficult to trust the owners. I know I wouldn't, but the NHLPA also has to know when to pick their battles. Not negotiating last year and waiting until after September to finally do so was a big mistake. Now working with the last offer from the NHL was a big mistake. And they're a ******** union to boot. Some union you have when there are members cashing in their signing bonuses or making money in Europe. It's a joke.

Last edited by Sir Fenwick Corsi: 10-26-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old
10-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

So when is the soonest we can see hockey back on TV? This lockout is really killing me

Old
10-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
So when is the soonest we can see hockey back on TV? This lockout is really killing me
You can watch the KHL, CHL and NCAA if you want. FYI, that`s "hockey" too.

Old
10-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
You can watch the KHL, CHL and NCAA if you want. FYI, that`s "hockey" too.
For many North Americans, it's not quite the same. KHL games are at odd times (I don't know how you European fans do it), and the quality of play suffers severely in the other leagues. They are also harder to find on TV.

Old
10-27-2012, 07:47 PM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
For many North Americans, it's not quite the same. KHL games are at odd times (I don't know how you European fans do it), and the quality of play suffers severely in the other leagues. They are also harder to find on TV.
So basically what you're saying is we should all really respect our European counterparts even more now that we've gotten a small taste of what they have to go through to catch Devils games, right?

Old
10-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
NHL hockey? Probably October of 2014

AHL hockey depending on your location is likely available (We have the Chicago Wolves here)

NCAA hockey is around if you have decent cable package

Old
10-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
For what it's worth, I'd still rather watch a game at 10am than at 2am.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
So basically what you're saying is we should all really respect our European counterparts even more now that we've gotten a small taste of what they have to go through to catch Devils games, right?
I did say it in that post and I have also said it in the past, I don't know how they do it, and I respect their commitment.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:10 AM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Quote:
I did say it in that post and I have also said it in the past, I don't know how they do it, and I respect their commitment.
I know you did. I was reenforcing the point.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:13 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

If the only thing to come out of this lockout is stable ownership for the Devils, then it is a successful lockout.

I pretty much don't miss it right now and this is not how I felt in 2004.

Will I watch games whenever it returns, yes, but since I already know I won't be attending them as often I really don't give a ****.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:03 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
If the only thing to come out of this lockout is stable ownership for the Devils, then it is a successful lockout.

Will I watch games whenever it returns, yes, but since I already know I won't be attending them as often I really don't give a ****.
I actually miss it 'more' now, but on some level that's because I wasn't a sth then and went to maybe five-ten games a year, and I've been to nearly thirty a year plus playoffs since the team moved to the Rock.

The main negative difference for me now is I'm about one week away from losing hope of there being 'any' season. And that would really stink as a sports fan since the Mets are still in baseball hell and the Jets are one loss away from getting sucked down into a black hole. I'll probably resist getting back into basketball because the sport's too predictable. Hell maybe this nonsense is an excuse to get even more into soccer (Premier League and MLS).

Old
10-28-2012, 08:34 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
NHL hockey? Probably October of 2014

AHL hockey depending on your location is likely available (We have the Chicago Wolves here)

NCAA hockey is around if you have decent cable package
Not sure if you're serious with the 2014 prediction. If the sport wipes out two seasons, it will never return to form. You lose a season, they die hards come back. You lose two, and some of the diehards are going to stop caring.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post

Ya, this is different from how I felt in 2004 also. Back then there was a tangible sense that there was something wrong with the game, and the lockout was needed to correct it. The CBA changes and the rule changes took care of that. Now, the game has been growing, it's more popular and profitable than ever, and they're squabbling over comparatively minor issues. The game isn't broken. There's no reason for this.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:52 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
i miss the good old days. back when janssen was a sniper and peters was a minotaur.

Closed Thread