HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The ref thread

Old
12-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Canadian91

vCash: 500
The ref thread

Hey fellow referees on HF.. I always like hearing stories from you guys on the predicaments and situations you've got into.. so I decided to make a thread about it. Any interesting stories? Post here.

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
Hey fellow referees on HF.. I always like hearing stories from you guys on the predicaments and situations you've got into.. so I decided to make a thread about it. Any interesting stories? Post here.
To all refs who think we are all gathered to watch you make controversial calls in a theatrical manner,

Bleep you.

That is all

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:39 AM
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment

My favourite situations are when I line semi-pro and I know I'm right but the players are like "watch the video after! you're wrong"

I once made a delay of game call they disagreed with and the entire team swarmed me with a tirade of abuse, then at the end of the period the guy who got the penalty comes up to me and says "sorry for all the abuse from my team" because he obviously knew he had done it

I also hate when you call a penalty, the guy goes straight to the box without you even needing to tell them because they know they have done wrong, but the captain still comes over to moan about it

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 12-17-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:00 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
To all refs who think we are all gathered to watch you make controversial calls in a theatrical manner,

Bleep you.

That is all
To all the players that believe they are NHL prospects, no matter heir level, and believe they actually know the rules, carry on, you keep us employed and laughing.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Being a referee sucks.

Yeah, I ran into a few poor referees, but no matter how good they are, they get **** thrown their way.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:50 AM
krax

I used to ref in 94/95 during the NHL lockout.
During a game with a handful of NHL players, I had to follow a breakaway, leaving a bunch of players behind me. I trusted my linesmen to control what was happening there.
The breakaway ended with the puck blocked by the goalie. I blow the whistle, turn around and see a player lying on the ice at the other end of the rink. I ask my linesmen about what happened. LM: "Sorry I forgot to watch". I am getting pretty nervous...
Suddenly, Tommy Sjödin was standing in front of me: "Hey, ref, what happened there?"
"Sorry, I was following the breakaway, we missed what happened".
He replies: "No problem ref, I also made some mistakes today. But if you told me you saw it, and you wouldn't call the penalty, I would have punched you in the face."
I doubt I would have survived that ;-)
It was a very good lesson.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

So many stories for me! Almost ALL involving the same team, albeit at different levels!

ENL1 Romford 11/12 - Getting a huge amount of abuse from the fans, so I swear back...

NIHL1 Romford 12/13 - Controversial game tying goal in the last ~20 seconds against them...
NIHL1 Romford 12/13 - Get a massive takedown on a player...

NIHL1 Invicta 12/13 - Asked to fight at centre ice by a player...
U18 Romford 12/13 - Tell a player to "****ing pack it in" then tries to go after me, and I'm getting more abuse...

So yeah, LOVE MY JOB!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Canadian91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Being a referee sucks.

Yeah, I ran into a few poor referees, but no matter how good they are, they get **** thrown their way.
I know that if I didn't get paid I wouldn't be a ref. Not worth the abuse.

I don't really care that much though. Most coaches/players who whine don't have the slightest idea about what they're talking about.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Canadian91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
So many stories for me! Almost ALL involving the same team, albeit at different levels!

ENL1 Romford 11/12 - Getting a huge amount of abuse from the fans, so I swear back...

NIHL1 Romford 12/13 - Controversial game tying goal in the last ~20 seconds against them...
NIHL1 Romford 12/13 - Get a massive takedown on a player...

NIHL1 Invicta 12/13 - Asked to fight at centre ice by a player...
U18 Romford 12/13 - Tell a player to "****ing pack it in" then tries to go after me, and I'm getting more abuse...

So yeah, LOVE MY JOB!
I've had a couple different run-ins with the same team this year as well. Usually involving one of the assistant coaches who can't keep his mouth shut.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:58 PM
mbhhofr

My first minor pro game when I was nineteen. I came home from work at 5:30 pm and my parents were all excited. I got a call to work my first pro game on the lines at 7:30 that night. Ate dinner and went to the game. No time to really prepare for it.

I was an emergency replacement Linesman for the NHL in Minnesota. It was a Saturday afternoon game between the Blackhawks and North Stars. I went down to the dressing room before the game to say hello to the guys who were working the game. Walked into the room and was told to get my equipment because the referee, Vern Buffey, couldn't get into Minnesota because of bad weather out east. Didn't have my equipment in the car. I had worked a College game the previous night and hung my stuff out to dry and didn't pack it when I went to the game. Fortunately, I only lived ten minutes from the rink. Went home got my stuff and when I got back to the rink, they had started the game with two officials. I changed into my gear, no one else in the dressing room to talk with and got out onto the ice with around five minutes already played. Another first game with no time to prepare.

I have a lot of other situations and experiences from a thirty-five year career.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
I've had a couple different run-ins with the same team this year as well. Usually involving one of the assistant coaches who can't keep his mouth shut.
I know what you mean man, haha. There are few coaches I don't see eye to eye with!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote