HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best move

Old
05-29-2014, 10:16 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
Stack Shot Billy

vCash: 500
Best move

For this thread, let's skip the standard great moves made by history's great players ie. toe drag, standard deke, etc... and please add the best move you've seen made by a player that may or may not be captured on video. I'd like to hear from posters of all ages, but ideally from posters who saw a player make a move in a game that took their breath away that there may not be video support for.

My contribution is a move made by Alexander Mogilny during the 92-93 season. He was one on one with Teppo Numminen. It is very hard to describe the move, but Mogilny shifted gears so fast and went from skating at full speed forward to lateral that froze Numminen allowing Mogilny to get a clear shot to score. Stunning.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 11:06 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Always loved this Pavel Bure move...

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 04:33 AM
pensfan7477
Danny Tanner

Malkin going through five guys to score against Tampa Bay a few years back. It made the hairs on my neck stand up and I instantly thought of Lemieux. That of his hat trick goal against Carolina in 09' ECF. That was one of the most insane moves I've ever seen. Basically you could compile a top 15 moves all time out of Lemieux and Malkin and nobody would testify against it. alright maybe 1-2 Datsyuk moves.

pensfan7477 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 04:49 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 09:15 AM
The Panther

I think my favorite piece of stickhandling ever -- not sure if it's a "move" -- is Gretzky vs. Detroit, 1986, in the sequence that starts at 5:06:

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 12:03 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Mario made a move against the Bruins that, to this day, still seems beyond human to me. I've never seen it on a highlight reel but it always stuck with me.

The Pens were in the Bruins zone and Mario was ragging the puck along their blueline. He skated the length of the blueline like this until he got to the far boards. He then, without looking or turning, flicked a behind-the-back, backhand pass diagonally across the full length of the offensive zone... Right to Kevin Stevens, who was planted on the opposite corner of the Bruins crease. No Bruin even reacted before the puck was in the net.

My description probably doesn't do it justice. How did he know Stevens was there? And how did he make that pass!

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 12:14 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

vCash: 112
May just be me but Forsberg's move to win game 3 against the Canucks in '01 was pretty sick...

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

There's alot of good moves in this one.

I especially like the segment between 2.11-2.25 though (2 segments)

Lexus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
Mario made a move against the Bruins that, to this day, still seems beyond human to me. I've never seen it on a highlight reel but it always stuck with me.

The Pens were in the Bruins zone and Mario was ragging the puck along their blueline. He skated the length of the blueline like this until he got to the far boards. He then, without looking or turning, flicked a behind-the-back, backhand pass diagonally across the full length of the offensive zone... Right to Kevin Stevens, who was planted on the opposite corner of the Bruins crease. No Bruin even reacted before the puck was in the net.

My description probably doesn't do it justice. How did he know Stevens was there? And how did he make that pass!
I know it. It was on Rock Em Sock Em #4. Happened during the 1992 season. Playoffs I think too. Yes, it was a thing of beauty. Mario is just ragging the puck casually as if he knows no one can take it away from him. He sort of draws a lot of attention from the Bruins and then flicks an impossible pass right to Stevens on the doorstep from the other end of the offensive zone. If I remember correctly, Mario's reaction was one of "Alright, that was easy, let's go to the bench and change off."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post

Most people forget that this was in an exhibition game in 1996. I honestly wish it wasn't because what a thing of beauty.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Big Phil

I honestly never know how he would do this all the time but Mario had a knack for slowing the game to his pace. In a way, this created more room for himself and for whatever reason he always seemed to have ample time on breakaways to make his move. You'd think a defenseman would rush back and take the puck off his stick but it never happened.

Anyway, the trademark Mario move in my mind was coming in on a breakaway and almost gliding in waiting for the goalie to flinch. Usually the goalie was a deer in the headlights when they saw Mario alone but they always had some sort of reaction and then Mario would just wait until their shoulder dropped and put it top corner. Off the corner of the post and in. Every time. He looked so confident doing it as if he was just waiting for the goalie to move so he could bury it. They always did too.

The one time Mario didn't have success with this was one breakaway he had in Game 7 in 1993 against the Isles. He's in all alone on Healy (I think it was the 1st period) and everyone knows Mario is going to do his thing. Healy barely reacts but Mario goes upstairs to that same corner and rings it off the crossbar and up high. We all know how that game turned out. But man, Mario could sure label a puck every other time.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 09:01 PM
The Panther

Greatest pass ever:

Old
05-30-2014, 09:46 PM
DanishPastry

I'll always remember watching Denmark beat Finland at the 2010 IIHF World Championship, specifically Peter Regin's goal.

DanishPastry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 11:19 PM
livewell68

Last edited by livewell68: 05-30-2014 at 11:41 PM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 11:57 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad View Post
that's a whole lot of moves, but it's still probably the most stunning sequence i've seen.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 04:17 AM
MarkusNaslund19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post

The one time Mario didn't have success with this was one breakaway he had in Game 7 in 1993 against the Isles. He's in all alone on Healy (I think it was the 1st period) and everyone knows Mario is going to do his thing. Healy barely reacts but Mario goes upstairs to that same corner and rings it off the crossbar and up high. We all know how that game turned out. But man, Mario could sure label a puck every other time.
To add to this, in 1996 Conference Finals against Florida. Lemieux had a breakaway and was poke checked by Vanbiesbrouck. It was at that moment that I thought Florida winning was a (grim) possibility.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 04:13 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
Stack Shot Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I honestly never know how he would do this all the time but Mario had a knack for slowing the game to his pace. In a way, this created more room for himself and for whatever reason he always seemed to have ample time on breakaways to make his move. You'd think a defenseman would rush back and take the puck off his stick but it never happened.
Indeed. By not even making a move, he was dictating the pace of the game. I remember a game in Philly and Lemieux skated into the Flyers zone at probably 2 MPH and nobody came near him. When he had the puck, it looked like the other team was on a penalty kill just playing a box. As The Panther showed, Gretzky did his own way by bobbing and weaving, circling and surveying the zone all at the same time.

Old
05-31-2014, 07:17 PM
The Panther

My favorite Lemieux one is circa 1993 against The Rangers at MSG. I don't know the exact date or the game-situation.

Lemieux comes out of the corner (left of the goalie) on the goal-line, and spins to his right to face the net. The Ranger defender throws himself in front of Lemieux to block what appears to be an imminent shot (from about 6 feet out), but Mario suddenly just stops and hangs on to the puck. The defender flies past Lemieux, his inertia carrying him way past the front of the net and completely out of the play. Lemieux, having not moved at all or shot the puck for about a 4-count, suddenly wrists it into the top corner. I recall Marv Albert doing the call.

Anyone know that one?

Old
05-31-2014, 07:40 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
Stack Shot Billy

Well, I'll throw in my favorite 66 move. 1988-89 at home against the Flyers. He's coming down the left boards one on one with a Flyers d-man. Lemieux suddenly cuts to the middle of the ice, and using his long reach, plays keep away from the Flyers d-man who collapses forward. Hextall, I believe comes charging out of the Flyers net to cut down the angle, way past his crease. Mario fires a low shot past the Flyers goalie's stick side into the net. Just amazing how he could make NHL defensemen and goalies look like they were two tiers lower.

Old
06-01-2014, 07:55 AM
The Panther

I found the goal I referred to (above), as well as LeBlondeDemon10's.

Skip to 0:55 -- the one I described is actually against Boston (I mis-remembered). And the following goal is the one described by LeBlondeDemon.

Old
06-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post

Move still is the best and haunts me to this day.

After I saw that my team was playing a Bantam AAA championship game, I had a break one on one vs. a defenseman and thats when I decided to pull that move, did it perfectly. Went in alone and rang the crossbar, they turned the puck around up the ice and scored in OT. Had I finished it, would have been the greatest thing in my town's hockey history.

To this day 15 years later it haunts me haha.

What people forget about that Bure move though is that it was pre-season, he was just dicking around vs players that wouldn't make the opening night Bruins. Still sick though.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 01:28 AM
VMBM

Guys like Lemieux and Perreault showed many terrific moves, as did the best Russians.

My favourite Kharlamov move (1974 Summit Series, game 1):

Those defensemen were no bums: J.C. Tremblay and Pat Stapleton. Kharlamov's straight-line speed has never overly impressed me (there were many faster players in that regard), but he had just crazy feet, hands and balance.

Makarov vs. Larry Robinson (and vs. Pete Peeters), 1984 Canada Cup semifinal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opoLFugxc0I&t=12m50s

Makarov just made everything look so effortless, eh?

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 02:32 AM
skeena1

No video, not legal, but bear with me. 1989 Vladimir Krutov with the Canucks. He's taken a lead pass and is trying to get in the clear at the opponents blueline. D-man uses all his strength to lift his stick and keep it up. This goes on for about 15 feet until Krutov loses patience and left foots the puck on goal from 45 feet. Goalie had to make a very difficult kick save.

Last edited by skeena1: 06-03-2014 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Edit - unclear.
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 05:43 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Always liked that Datsyuk deke, that was pretty awesome.