HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Russia

Old
12-24-2012, 02:27 PM
c9gunner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Attendance is not a problem for European hosts of the WHC.
It is a problem. The last two WJHC held in Europe were:
2007 Sweden, total attendance 63,493 (2,048 per match)
2008 Czech Republic, attendance 103,179 (3,328 per match)

c9gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:34 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
TSN and their sponsors make a huge amount of money from this tournament.
Not really. I don't remember the last time TSN charged money for watching their WJHC streams to compensate the lost revenue (not too many people are ready to watch a round robin game in the middle of the night or at 5 am in the morning)

Quote:
But it should never be a matter of money.
It shouldn't. But nothing is free in this world. As I said before, I'd rather not have it in the same country every second year, but the reality is that a WJHCs are not profitable and somebody will have to pick up the tab.

Last edited by c9gunner: 12-24-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old
12-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Fantomas

I have paid and the replay feature is great to have.

I think they didn't have it last time when live streams were provided.

So it is decent value for the money. Maybe TSN is being greedy. Maybe not. Could have been cheaper.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Canada hosted it in 2008, and their application for future dates would no doubt be smiled on favorably by Rene Faisel. But the membership wouldn't tolerate it being hosted by Canada every 2 or 3 years, as you have with the WJC. Attendance is not a problem for European hosts of the WHC.
But it is for the hosts of the U20s.

Membership seems to be pretty favorable to Canada.

Sweden
Canada
Finland
Canada
USA (Essentially Canada because it will be in a border town, possibly Detroit)
Canada
Czech Republic
Canada

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:41 AM
BarDownBobo
Play Bad For Ekblad

Could having his brother cut factor mentally for Vasilevski? If it were a forward I'd be less concerned, but sometimes that kind of thing will just play in the back of a goalies mind, cause him to be slightly off his game.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:44 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Could having his brother cut factor mentally for Vasilevski? If it were a forward I'd be less concerned, but sometimes that kind of thing will just play in the back of a goalies mind, cause him to be slightly off his game.
Well you came to the right spot asking this question, since posters on here will surely know the answer.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:48 AM
BarDownBobo
Play Bad For Ekblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well you came to the right spot asking this question, since posters on here will surely know the answer.
It's a rhetorical question, trying to get peoples opinion. Obviously nobody knows the answer.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 09:18 AM
c9gunner

Varnakov: " We havenít decided yet who will be a starting goalie for the first game against Slovakia.... The lines and pairings that we had against Switzerland wonít change."

Old
12-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
It is a problem. The last two WJHC held in Europe were:
2007 Sweden, total attendance 63,493 (2,048 per match)
2008 Czech Republic, attendance 103,179 (3,328 per match)
Apparently Sweden didn't view it as a big problem, because they co-hosted this year, and if I am not mistaken, they will co-host again next year. I watched several games from Sweden and Finland at this year's WHC, and the arenas appeared full in the games I watched, with lots of Russian visitors in attendance. I don't think we differ much here. I think we both believe that every member nation in good standing should have the opportunity to host the WJC and WHC. Even though there are a number of exceptions, I believe home ice advantage is a factor, and thus a competitive balance should be maintained. Now if Canada wins the WJC this year, that doesn't disprove my point, because Canada would have been favored wherever the tournament was played.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
But it is for the hosts of the U20s.

Membership seems to be pretty favorable to Canada.

Sweden
Canada
Finland
Canada
USA (Essentially Canada because it will be in a border town, possibly Detroit)
Canada
Czech Republic
Canada
Agreed, management is very favorable to Canada. If you look back at the past 15 years or so, it seems that the tournament is hosted in Canada or Canada South (a city in the US that is practically within walking distance of the Canadian border) just about every other year. Crowd support is a huge factor in motivating players and referees (I'm not saying that necessarily translates into a win), plus just the factor of being at home. Canada unfairly benefits from its ability to generate revenue and perks for the IIHF by being given more opportunities to host. The fact is that Russia is hosting this year, and Sweden next, so its hard to accept the premise that there are no other bidders except Canada and Canada South.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:21 PM
KingsFirstCup

What the heck? Why do all my posts keep disappearing?

EDIT: NVM, I posted in the game thread not this one :b

KingsFirstCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:27 AM
hollywood99

Quote:
Not really. I don't remember the last time TSN charged money for watching their WJHC streams to compensate the lost revenue (not too many people are ready to watch a round robin game in the middle of the night or at 5 am
This is the new trend. It's not about where the game is being played. Online pay as you go for sporting events is the norm now. For example through Sportsnet you have to pay $3 per game to watch the Canucks live online. If this tourney was in Toronto these online fee's would still be there, its not to offset revenue, just another way to generate it. But also yes there will be less revenue so to the times of the games.

hollywood99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:01 AM
c9gunner

Quote:
watched several games from Sweden and Finland at this year's WHC, and the arenas appeared full in the games
The problem is that there is not as much interest in the junior championships comparing to the WHC. Until 1991 (when TSN got the broadcast rights) U20 was generating probably the same amount of interest as U17/U18 these days.

By the way, the attendance is Ufa is not good so far (Less than 50% of the arena capacity)

Latvia -Finlad; 1457
Germany -Canada; 3618

The worst attendance for a round robin game in 2012 WJHC was 12,544 (Latvia vs. Sweden)

Old
12-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
The problem is that there is not as much interest in the junior championships comparing to the WHC. Until 1991 (when TSN got the broadcast rights) U20 was generating probably the same amount of interest as U17/U18 these days.

By the way, the attendance is Ufa is not good so far (Less than 50% of the arena capacity)
So what ffs It is a junior tournament. 3,600 for Canada Vs Germany is not that bad for a European junior match. Russia matches will do well, the Canada match is sold out. This was always going to happen.

Take a look at the attendances in 2011 at the Dwyer arena. All matches were 1,000 people.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:24 AM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
All matches were 1,000 people.
That is the reason they keep having the WJHCs in the North America. They just can't cover the organization costs from the tcket and advertisement sale. Sometime the National hockey federation (like this year in Russia) is OK to spend extra cash for organizing the U20 tornament but generally they have little interest (no money) in doing that. I'm just saying - please don't look for a conspiracy theory trying to explain why Canada has a WJHC every second year. The answer is very simple - it's the only country that makes this tournament profitable.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:26 AM
c9gunner

Vasilevsky will be a starting goalie today.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
That is the reason they keep having the WJHCs in the North America. They just can't cover the organization costs from the tcket and advertisement sale. Sometime the National hockey federation (like this year in Russia) is OK to spend extra cash for organizing the U20 tornament but generally they have little interest (no money) in doing that. I'm just saying - please don't look for a conspiracy theory trying to explain why Canada has a WJHC every second year. The answer is very simple - it's the only country that makes this tournament profitable.
Where have I argued any of this?

Old
12-26-2012, 07:30 AM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Where have I argued any of this?
Sorry. It's not you. I was thinking about Yakushev72's post.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Sorry. It's not you. I was thinking about Yakushev72's post.
All good

Old
12-26-2012, 07:37 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
WJC is not a tourney which should make money. It is a tourney which should promote the game worldwide, so we need as many country as possible to host it. Not only Canada.

sorry for OT

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:49 AM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
which should promote the game worldwide, so we need as many country as possible to host it.
Yes, but somebody will have to pay for it. In Ufa the local administration (both city and republican) is picking up the majority of the expenses. The Russian Hockey Federation is chipping in as well. Not so many countries are ready to do the same.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:57 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Yes, but somebody will have to pay for it. In Ufa the local administration (both city and republican) is picking up the majority of the expenses. The Russian Hockey Federation is chipping in as well. Not so many countries are ready to do the same.
iihf, national federations. No problem. The same WHC 18.

pls stop with this, it is OT

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
With all lack of good passing and playmaking in the 1st game, I still think that not even giving Zhafyarov a chance might have been a mistake.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
With all lack of good passing and playmaking in the 1st game, I still think that not even giving Zhafyarov a chance might have been a mistake.
it just looked like the team was nervous. This lack of passing bs is overblown- 1st goal was scored on a beauty passing play, and they had quiet a few of them after.

The reason I'm saying this, is that I've been following this team since the summer, and just when you think that you know them, they turn it around and play magnificent hockey. I saw it a couple of times today, but I think we'll see more of it as tournament goes on.

The last game against WHL in SSS comes to mind when they dominated the game and played up to the rosters potential.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
WJC is not a tourney which should make money. It is a tourney which should promote the game worldwide, so we need as many country as possible to host it. Not only Canada.

sorry for OT
Great then lets start hosting the tourney places like Korea, Australia or Dubai if we are interested in "promoting" the game.

Absolutely BS reason.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote