HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Russia

Old
12-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
You do realize the size of an offensive zone is practically the same on NHL sized and "the big ice", right?
Well it's not really. For examples sake, let's use 12. A 6x2 and a 4x3 are both 12m^2. But both would be COMPLETELY different. The Int'l ice being 4m wider makes it totally different.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:33 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
Well it's not really. For examples sake, let's use 12. A 6x2 and a 4x3 are both 12m^2. But both would be COMPLETELY different. The Int'l ice being 4m wider makes it totally different.
Yes, it is DIFFERENT because areas where the space is are different. But there's still a space to do all that >>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
The big ice gives you the chance to really wind up, skate, make combinational plays stickhandle, run an organized offense
The main differences are all about the much, much bigger neutral zone, not the offensive one.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Yes, it is DIFFERENT because areas where the space is are different. But there's still a space to do all that >>>

The main differences are all about the much, much bigger neutral zone, not the offensive one.
Its wider in the offensive zone and there is more space behind the net. No comparison.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
It would probably help with concussions but there would be even less scoring and even more boring defensive hockey systems.
Less scoring (if that is in fact a function of large ice) and defenses that are tougher to beat would just as easily make the game more exciting. Check out international soccer.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
You do realize the size of an offensive zone is practically the same on NHL sized and "the big ice", right?
Its a 15 foot difference in width from goal line to goal line. Also, there is more space to operate behind the net. The length of the ice is the same, 60 meters.

Last edited by Yakushev72: 12-12-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: omission
Old
12-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
I think Yakupov, Grigorenko, Sigarev, Kosov and Khohlachev will be the offensive engine of the team I hope Shalunov, Kucherov, Nichushkin and No. 14 in the SSS(can't think of his name) also make big contributions.
Tkachyov? Yeah he is doing very well in the MHL this season, has a lot of potential but he is still somewhat naive in his play compared to someone like Slepyshev. But he is second in Points per game in the MHL but although stats are pretty useless to judge players on as Mikhailov who leads the league in scoring and points per game is nothing special in my eyes, I am happy he was not called up for the team. His stats are way too high for a player of his ability.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
The width is much bigger. Just consider the fact there a 4 metres more to cover for defencemen. Once you finish a check/reach for the puck/just move to the boards boards you are at least 2 metres furter away from the net. There is more space behind the net. It's the neutral zone that is pretty much the same, the offensive/defensive zone is totally different for all players. Goalies get shots from different angles, defencemen have to make differnt decisions and use differet tactics to cover the offensive players, the offence has more space, but it is still different.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Tkachyov? Yeah he is doing very well in the MHL this season, has a lot of potential but he is still somewhat naive in his play compared to someone like Slepyshev. But he is second in Points per game in the MHL but although stats are pretty useless to judge players on as Mikhailov who leads the league in scoring and points per game is nothing special in my eyes, I am happy he was not called up for the team. His stats are way too high for a player of his ability.
I really like Slepyshev, and wouldn't say that he that Tkachyov should take his place on the roster. There was a lot of speculation that Slepyshev was injured and couldn't play in Ufa. I would be happy to hear that he's healthy and ready to play.

Last edited by Yakushev72: 12-12-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: omission
Old
12-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
This is an interesting discussion.

It's notable how many NHLers aren't putting up wild numbers in leagues in Switzerland, Russia, Czech etc.
The big ice must play a role. It would lend itself to a COMPLETELY different skill set. So, I can see the appeal and argument for KHL over NHL.

That being said, you would have to be delusional to say the NHL doesn't have the best players in the world. Anyone with ANY objectivity can easily see that it's by and large the most talented league in the world.

As I've said before, I wish NA would adopt international ice, but I know that'll never happen.
IMO ther are 4 types of players.

-players who thrive on big ice
-players who thrive on smaller ice
-players whoe are doing good on both and can quickly adapt to a different style if needed
-superstars whose skill set is elite are effective in a phone booth and on a football field

As obviously there are not enough players of that elite level there always will be players who have a better carrer here or there. That doesn't mean any of these players is good or bad, just because they can not succeed on one type of the rink. It's just that elite players are unique, others have their strengths and weaknesses.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:00 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Tkachyov? Yeah he is doing very well in the MHL this season, has a lot of potential but he is still somewhat naive in his play compared to someone like Slepyshev.
Forget about stats, he is easily the fastest player team Russia has. He contributed consistantly through out the summer series, along with the subway series. He has looked better on the bigger ice so advantage to him over another guy who might be on the bubble. I believe Slepyshev is reinjured?

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Ryker

Hey guys, how likely is it for Mironov to crack the team?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Hey guys, how likely is it for Mironov to crack the team?
Very likely, solid KHL player.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:42 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
For fun, if you guys had to rate the top producers on this team during, how do you see it?

I think the most to least productive:
Yakupov
Grigorenko
Sigarev
Kucherov
Slepyshev
Khokhlochev
Shalunov
Kosov
... the rest
Why the dislike for Zlobin?

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:53 AM
Nash

Quote:
Very likely, solid KHL player.
I liked his toughness and mean streak in the Subway Super Series. Still bummed Naumenkov won't play. These two were the best D in that tournament.

I saw you posted that Shenfeld is injured. Is he done for the tournament? Where was he depth wise on the team?

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:25 AM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
What about nikushin or that guy thats eliigible this year?

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:18 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I liked his toughness and mean streak in the Subway Super Series. Still bummed Naumenkov won't play. These two were the best D in that tournament.

I saw you posted that Shenfeld is injured. Is he done for the tournament? Where was he depth wise on the team?
Shenfield is done for the tournament. I would say 3rd/4th line and pk.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
What about nikushin or that guy thats eliigible this year?
who is Nikushin?

If you mean Nichushkin, yes he is eligible and has a fair chance to make it. But I wouldn't say he is a lock.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post

Ye he is done as far as I know, injured and been sent home. He had a good chance to make it, maybe 3rd 4th line winger. But it opens up spots for other good players.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Shenfield is done for the tournament. I would say 3rd/4th line and pk.
It seems as though the injuries keep piling up. You have to have someone to fill out the 3rd and 4th line, and Shenfeld was a good candidate.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Yakushev72

How well is Sergeyev playing in the CHL this year? He was one of the best defensemen in Calgary, but he didn't appear to do anything special in the SSS (he only played one game). Can anyone give an assessment of Sergeyev?

Old
12-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
It seems as though the injuries keep piling up. You have to have someone to fill out the 3rd and 4th line, and Shenfeld was a good candidate.
I think I would still take Kapustin, Tkachev, Shalunov, Nichushkin over him

Old
12-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
I think I would still take Kapustin, Tkachev, Shalunov, Nichushkin over him
Agreed.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:07 PM
SH15

Thoughts on Kapustin guys? I thought he looked great in the Summer Series and is a dangerous scorer. Just scrolled over some posts and he doesn't seem to get hyped up too much from you guys who know this team best.

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Hawkaholic

When is the final Russian team going to be announced?

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
Thoughts on Kapustin guys? I thought he looked great in the Summer Series and is a dangerous scorer. Just scrolled over some posts and he doesn't seem to get hyped up too much from you guys who know this team best.
he had a relatively bad SSS and was demoted within the team. I think he is a better big ice player and I still think he'll make it. He has a very strong stride and a brings confidence on the ice.