HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Crosby, Penguins owners push to save NHL season

Old
12-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500

Quote:
Over the past few weeks, Crosby, Burkle and Lemieux have privately discussed plans to bridge the gap between players and owners. The sources said all three had grown frustrated with the lack of progress.
Crosby and Burkle flew to New York together Monday. Burkle lives in suburban Los Angeles. Crosby’s Los Angeles-based agent, Pat Brisson, also was on the flight, the sources said.

The Penguins had no voice in previous labor meetings during the lockout, but the sources said Burkle requested to be involved early last week. His net worth is $3.5 billion, built on a California grocery empire, and he gained a reputation of helping strike deals with the unions he employed.

Among the other owners in the talks Tuesday was Tampa Bay’s Jeff Vinik, who has become a favorite of Burkle and Lemieux since Vinik purchased the Lightning in February 2010. Lemieux has discussed ways to end the lockout with Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, a fellow Hockey Hall of Famer, the sources said.

The sources said Burkle and Crosby shared the belief that players needed to hear from new owners because of the narrative that a handful of hard-line owners — the Boston Bruins’ Jeremy Jacobs has gained the most publicity in this category — were hijacking the process.

Burkle, Lemieux and Crosby are aware they risk pushback from their respective sides for trying to establish trust, but they felt that risk was worth the reward, the sources said.
http://triblive.com/sports/nhl/30688...#axzz2E8uNQ0cS

Recalling the rumor that Snider was realigning with the moderate Pittsburgh contingent...

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
Since when were the players allowed to speak with the owners privately?

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:24 AM
Bolt32

Doesn't surprise me, Vinik pretty much has all but said that yes he wants a better CBA than last, but losing a season is ludicrous.

Its not like he is a fininacial moron either. "Even the most respected Money-management firms got anstsy. In early 1995, Jeffery Vinik, manager of Fidelity Magellan (Then the worlds largest mutual fund), had 42.5 percent of its assets in Technology stocks. Vinik proclaimed that most of his shareholders "Have invested in the fund for goals that are years away.....I think their objectives are the same as mine, and that they believe, as I do, that a long-term approach is the best." But six months after he wrote those high-minded words, Vinik sold off almost all of technology shares, unloading nearly 19 Billion worth in eight frenzied weeks." ~~The Intelligent Investor PG. 37

He is not hurting for money needless to say, at the same time he is approaching this as a bussiness decision, and is revamping channel side (Down town Tampa.) Investing millions back into the community. This lockout has hurted his fanbase quite a bit, and I would imagine he would be sick of it. Making him BFF's of Burkle and Lemieux during this whole crap situation. Trust me when I say this, he wants hockey played.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post

I wondered about that as well.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:27 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Just to add a Pittsburgh perspective, Rossi is difficult to trust. He embraces sensationalism and has a poor track record (i.e. reporting that Jagr to the Pens was a done deal back in July 2011). That's why it's comforting to see a few other accounts that are similar, particularly Pierre LeBrun's column here.

Regardless of the overarching theme of Rossi's article, I'd take a lot of the smaller details with a grain of salt.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Just to add a Pittsburgh perspective, Rossi is difficult to trust. He embraces sensationalism and has a poor track record (i.e. reporting that Jagr to the Pens was a done deal back in July 2011). That's why it's comforting to see a few other accounts that are similar, particularly Pierre LeBrun's column here.

Regardless of the overarching theme of Rossi's article, I'd take a lot of the smaller details with a grain of salt.

This is rather heartening, from the LeBrun piece:
Quote:
Burkle’s track record in his private business life suggests that he was just the man to try to find middle ground. When the Pittsburgh arena deal nearly fell through, Burkle’s involvement helped save the project. His awards from labor groups in California underline his ability to negotiate fairly.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:37 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I did a quick look up on his history. Burkle is a staunch Democrat and had a piece of a green-listed company. Getting on the green-list means a relatively clean labor record, good on environment, not involved in consumer fraud.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:56 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Agreed. I was encouraged to see him in the owners group. There was a recent book out called "Breakaway" that detailed the entire new arena process in Pittsburgh and much is written about how Burkle's negotiating experience and his methods helped cut through posturing on both sides and save a deal that was in serious danger.

Of course, this is a far more complex and nuanced situation than that. But there's some reason for optimism here, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I did a quick look up on his history. Burkle is a staunch Democrat and had a piece of a green-listed company. Getting on the green-list means a relatively clean labor record, good on environment, not involved in consumer fraud.
Staunch would be an understatement. He's a personal pal of Bill Clinton and the duo doesn't have the best reputation together because of some of their shenanigans. There's a particularly unflattering nickname given to Burkle's private jet that he and Clinton used to tool around on together.

The guy isn't any kind of saint or savior, but hopefully he can help end this nonsense.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:50 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Best news in ages. Getting Burkle involved will only mean good things.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:00 AM
Oshie97

Can't hurt to have him there but I really don't see this owner/player meeting doing much. Both sides have to be willing to give, the player more than the owners for sure. Then they will have to figure out a way to write the new deal that makes both Fehr and Bettman look like they got what they wanted to satisfy their damm egos. My bet, and I hope I'm wrong, is that its going to be a very long winter. Actually, it already has.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:13 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Croz did live with Mario after all.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:01 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Obviously they are in a fairly unique situation, as you may remember they started off as teammmates, not just owner/player. I said if anyone could bridge the gap, it'd be Mario and his ex teammates, or Wings owner Illitch and his more senior players(too bad Lidstrom retired, I think the whole potential lockout thing was the final shove)

Also, the Pens probably are one of the better teams right now and have an excellent shot to win it all.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Quote:
I wondered about that as well.
Don't kid yourself, it's a small world the league and players operate in. I've seen a player and a team official out in public earlier in the lockout. it's more than just employer/employee, there are friendships just like any other workplace.

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:32 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Wasn't there a period where Bettman allowed owners to ''answer'' players calls. Reports have been no players took the option, tho it may mean that there is a whole bunch of stuff going on behind doors and curtains.

From Crosby's side it does not surprise me tho. The guy has kept quiet except on official pressers, patiently waiting to jump the ship to Europe.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Milliardo

And really, who cares if the talked? Whatever gets a deal done, I don't care if some "rules" are broken for that to happen.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:35 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
They always were, just not in regards to CBA negotiations. This was league guidelines, not sure the PA imposed similar restrictions. I think they didn't. The league at one point opened up a window where players could ask team personel questions in regards to the leagues proposal, but even then it was strictly that they could not negotiate, just answer questions. Any negotiations would be agains the law I think.

If in fact Crosby and Penguins ownership negotiated outside the realm of official PA sanctioned meetings it was likely against labor law. Not that the PA will likely file complaint.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
They always were, just not in regards to CBA negotiations. This was league guidelines, not sure the PA imposed similar restrictions. I think they didn't. The league at one point opened up a window where players could ask team personel questions in regards to the leagues proposal, but even then it was strictly that they could not negotiate, just answer questions. Any negotiations would be agains the law I think.

If in fact Crosby and Penguins ownership negotiated outside the realm of official PA sanctioned meetings it was likely against labor law. Not that the PA will likely file complaint.

Burkle would be subject to the Bettman's mandate since clearly this was about the CBA, no?

I also don't see how any player talking to anyone would run afoul of the PA simply by talking to owners. They haven't muzzled their constituents.

Friedman adds his bit this morning:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...nhl-talks.html

Quote:
For a while now, there've been rumours this group -- and you can throw in Mario Lemieux, too -- have been extremely unhappy with the glacial pace of negotiations. Think it's safe to confirm those rumblings.

It's clear that they arrived in New York City with a plan to get things back on the rails. While details are still to come, Burkle and Crosby were two major parts of yesterday's discussion. They crafted an agenda and discussed how to implement it.

That was a success. Now we're going to see if those successes continue.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Wasn't there a period where Bettman allowed owners to ''answer'' players calls. Reports have been no players took the option, tho it may mean that there is a whole bunch of stuff going on behind doors and curtains.

From Crosby's side it does not surprise me tho. The guy has kept quiet except on official pressers, patiently waiting to jump the ship to Europe.
Crosby has never indicated any desire to play in Europe, even if the full season was canceled.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

if the season is saved due to yesterday's discussion - "Thank you crosby" on all nhl bluelines. makes sense to me...

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post

Thanks for the input because when I read the article, I got that sense from it. There's probably truth to the bigger picture but I questioned the smaller details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Crosby has never indicated any desire to play in Europe, even if the full season was canceled.
He has said the longer the lockout drags on, the more he has to seriously consider going overseas to play, especially because he's missed so much hockey lately that he needs to be playing competitive hockey. However, I think all signs point to regardless of how much he really thought about going overseas, he didn't WANT to go. I think Crosby has held on to optimism and hope for this long because he has no desire to join another even temporarily. With the PA coming close to decertifying, that could very well be a season lost. I think Crosby saw this as the final opportunity to get something going and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a voice of reason for the PA because he has handled himself well despite the controversy surrounding the PA and some of the comments made by other PA members.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Thanks for the input because when I read the article, I got that sense from it. There's probably truth to the bigger picture but I questioned the smaller details.
Well maybe you should read the other sources whom you may find more palatable.

Oh, right. They're all saying the same thing. Just stop with shooting the messenger already. Burkle and Crosby have talked, have put together some initiative. There's no great mystery here.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post

My understanding was that several players took advantage of that, however as it wasn't made public, it must have been luck that they called during that 24 hours. And many more said after the fact they would have, had they known about it.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:52 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Clearly, no he did not say it but as HockeyCrazed101 says he did point at it at few times.

Edit : I listened to a local radio last night where the reporter said that among 18 players, 6 had $6M+ contracts, 6 had $2.5 to $5,99M contracts and last 6 had below $2.5M contracts. I guess that was intentional to get all the types of players into discussion.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

I think this players/owners only meeting was a great idea really. It can't be easy for owners to sit across from their franchise player, look them in the eye and try to **** them over.

A sour taste left after this CBA negotiation could very well come to bite them in the ass when it's time to re-sign that franchise player, and owners like Birkle are well aware of that.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Comments reserved so as not to jinx this.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote