HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Lockout II - Moderated: Talk about your plenty, Talk about your ills...

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 11:51 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why is Mark Chipman involved? Winnipeg has been back in the NHL for 19 months.
Having Chipman ( Winnipeg ) involved does make some sense IMO.

Chipman has stated that he sees his franchise as always being a mid-cap team which to me is where the majority of the teams are or want to be. This means that if you can come up with a CBA that satisfies his requirements than you have a good idea what the mid-point of your league is and may satisfy most of your teams.

You are always going to have the extremes of the scale, but if you can solve the majority of the teams issues, that is a good start.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Iggy77

vCash: 500
Safe to say the NHL would never choose owners that aren't 100% behind the league stance on the lockout.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

"We are still far apart"

Guaranteed that will be tomorrows headline after the meetings...

Old
12-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanklite View Post
"We are still far apart"

Guaranteed that will be tomorrows headline after the meetings...
That or "No progress"

Old
12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

What are the odds Daly uses the word "Disappointed" at least once post-meeting

Old
12-03-2012, 01:00 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Hell, the word "disappointed" could be the entire NHL lockout drinking game.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:06 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
Safe to say the NHL would never choose owners that aren't 100% behind the league stance on the lockout.
Really? Because Toronto is in there. You think they are 100% in favour of the lockout?

Old
12-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
So you're willing to dismiss all of the investments and work Vinik has already done and continues to do under the mantle of the Lightning and speculate that he's going to be next in line for the hardliners willing to dismantle the next CBA (whenever that may be and whatever it might consist of)? You're entitled to your opinion, but what makes you think that's going to happen? What about anything Vinik has done as owner of the Lightning, makes you think that he's doomed to failure and will want to sell out? For that matter, what makes you so convinced he's going to lose an ass ton of money?
I'm using Vinik as a present model of past owners to try and understand Jacobs motivations. I don't have any idea if Vinik will do that for sure. But I do expect it has been done in the past.

1) Shiny new owner.
2) Invests big time into his new toy.
3) Tells all the other owners.. Let's play some friggin hockey I just bought my new toy. Efectively endorsing a cba that everyone here craps on the owners for messing up.
4) Loses his frigging shirt after a few years.
5) Sells his team for peanuts or goes to the BOG saying holy crap this CBA is killing me.

I have absolutely no doubts the Lightning are currently losing money.
Do I think he's guaranteed to lose money in the future? Nope. I can say with confidence that I believe if he spends to the cap to try and ice a winner and doesn't succeed.. He's going to lose his shirt. Put a losing team there and I don't care how big the t.v is in the arena.. the fans won't show up.

Tampa and teams in markets like Tampa have a problem that needs to be addressed in the cba. They don't have the fans that will support a losing team. And only 16 teams make the playoffs.

Now some posters here will say "Well.. they should lose money because they aren't well run." That statement just says 14 teams should lose money each year. Which to me is asinine.

So that being said. "Yes" I can see Vinik pulling a holy crap I'm losing a ton of money and I'm tired of it in the future. Mostly because it's rare to find an owner that doesn't mind. The Sharks are the only ones I know who's ownership has come out and said such and from my understanding the loses are absorbed by 3 people rather than 1.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
When the NHL was a 6 team league. It was a good product. Then it became a 21 team league. There were tonnes of players who didn't deserve to be there. They weren't comparable to the players in the NHL when there was only 6 teams
Were you alive to watch them? (I wasn't)

I've seen plenty of NHL games from the '40s - '60s (NHLn and YT), and the level of play was pretty low. In fact, I would say that very few players could play in today's NHL.

Of course I imagine the players from decades ago would be better players today based on better coaching, conditioning and equipment, but to say that original 6 level of play was just INCREDIBLE, is just patently false.

You thought the '80s had some weak goaltending? Watch some games or highlights from the '50s - the goalies were just brutal.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:16 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
very high. At the least he can say they were disappointed.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Lacaar

Quote:
If Toronto isn't one then there's none. Which is probably the case.

I don't think T.O has anything to gain by this lockout but they have lots to lose. When you're one of 3 teams that made any significant money last year and you see revenue sharing going up near 100 million it's kind of obvious where that's going to have to come from.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Iggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Really? Because Toronto is in there. You think they are 100% in favour of the lockout?
Leafs could lose out big time if the NHL agrees to Fehr's ever increasing demands for RS.

Fehr may see the Leafs as the equivalent of the Yankees, that one big money printing team that could fund a good chunk of the league through RS and/or luxury tax.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:28 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

IIRC I dont remember 04-05 lockout having 30 team profit/losses and contraction as a main point of discord the way it is now. Whats the difference between now and then?

If anything the NHL had bigger losses and less profit from the top end teams back then im guessing?

Old
12-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I'm using Vinik as a present model of past owners to try and understand Jacobs motivations. I don't have any idea if Vinik will do that for sure. But I do expect it has been done in the past.

1) Shiny new owner.
3) Tells all the other owners.. Let's play some friggin hockey I just bought my new toy. Efectively endorsing a cba that everyone here craps on the owners for messing up.
5) Sells his team for peanuts or goes to the BOG saying holy crap this CBA is killing me.

Do I think he's guaranteed to lose money in the future? Nope. I can say with confidence that I believe if he spends to the cap to try and ice a winner and doesn't succeed.. He's going to lose his shirt. Put a losing team there and I don't care how big the t.v is in the arena.. the fans won't show up.

Tampa and teams in markets like Tampa have a problem that needs to be addressed in the cba. They don't have the fans that will support a losing team. And only 16 teams make the playoffs.

Now some posters here will say "Well.. they should lose money because they aren't well run." That statement just says 14 teams should lose money each year. Which to me is asinine.

So that being said. "Yes" I can see Vinik pulling a holy crap I'm losing a ton of money and I'm tired of it in the future. Mostly because it's rare to find an owner that doesn't mind. The Sharks are the only ones I know who's ownership has come out and said such and from my understanding the loses are absorbed by 3 people rather than 1.
Thanks for responding.

I disagree with the bit about the fan support. I'm willing to say that at least some of my disagreement is bias based. However, the Lightning really don't have much problems with attendance. And even with the ST price increase this year, sales were going pretty well, at least up to the point when the lockout chatter really got going. It remains to be seen how much harm this lockout will do, but Vinik has earned himself a massive amount of goodwill and respect in Tampa Bay.

As far as Vinik being totally behind Bettman and the lockout, well who really knows? Garrioch says he is, Friedman says he's a moderate who wants some changes, but wants hockey being played on his ice. Several of the Lightning players have said they think he just wants to get back to playing, ditto the local beat reporters. All speculation at this point, but all of his actions thus far tend more towards the moderate stance.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:59 PM
BoltSTH

Quote:

1) Shiny new owner.

1. Vinik moved his family, his business (and hired 50 more people) to Tampa.
2. The Bolts hold the lease to the arena which is 10 in the world for an indoor facility ticket sales. The overhead falls to the Lightning, so on paper they be losing, but they holding company that get the $ for the concerts/circus/RNC/AFL etc. is probably in a lot better shape.
3. He makes 5x to 10x a year of the reported losses, that's without touching his estimated $500-800m.
4. There is no dept. He paid cash, upgrades, cash, land around the arena cash.

Does Jacobs donate $50K a home game to a local charity/community hero, even when they are not playing? If you knew anything about Jeff Vinik you would know he is the direct opposite of Jacobs

Old
12-03-2012, 02:04 PM
YogiCanucks

I had a day dream that Jacobs was alone in the meeting point because everyone agree'd to meet somewhere else. Announced a deal has been struck and you take the power away from Jacobs, Bettman and Fehr.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:30 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
I had a day dream that Jacobs was alone in the meeting point because everyone agree'd to meet somewhere else. Announced a deal has been struck and you take the power away from Jacobs, Bettman and Fehr.
You were inceptioned by Fehr.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Why not? They benefit more from the current system and what the NHL is proposing than any other team.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Pepper

Quote:
The real question is, would he be disappointed if he didn't have a reason to be disappointed and would he say that to media?

So the odds are pretty much zero.

Then again, Ryan Miller coming out of the meeting and saying "they want it all!" atleast once is slam-dunk 100% certain.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:19 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

FWIW, got a letter from the Blackhawks today in response to my letter. (I've written the 30 NHL Governors. With this letter, I've had responses from three teams: Sharks, Devils and now Hawks)

Rocky delegated to VP to respond.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
1. Vinik moved his family, his business (and hired 50 more people) to Tampa.
2. The Bolts hold the lease to the arena which is 10 in the world for an indoor facility ticket sales. The overhead falls to the Lightning, so on paper they be losing, but they holding company that get the $ for the concerts/circus/RNC/AFL etc. is probably in a lot better shape.
3. He makes 5x to 10x a year of the reported losses, that's without touching his estimated $500-800m.
4. There is no dept. He paid cash, upgrades, cash, land around the arena cash.

Does Jacobs donate $50K a home game to a local charity/community hero, even when they are not playing? If you knew anything about Jeff Vinik you would know he is the direct opposite of Jacobs
I honestly don't know what you're getting at. The point I was saying is that Jacobs has been around long enough to see what's happening in Tampa Bay before. Now do I know If Vinnik is going to bail out? Nope. Has it happend before? Yes.

Has Jacobs had to pay for this? Yes. See Pheonix.

I'm only trying to understand Jacob's motivations for being a hard liner. It may be more than this. "He's a big greedy *******." stuff that's spewed but this mob mentality that's turned into a bloody witch hunt.

I'll take the belief Jacobs is an owner that is in this for the long haul and in so doing has a vested interest in protecting the league and hense himself from the failure of small markets.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Leafs could lose out big time if the NHL agrees to Fehr's ever increasing demands for RS.

Fehr may see the Leafs as the equivalent of the Yankees, that one big money printing team that could fund a good chunk of the league through RS and/or luxury tax.
The math shows that the Leafs make more money with a salary cap and giving out RS than they did with an unlimited budget and spending more on player costs. This will be even more so once the Leafs are capable of making the playoffs.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
12-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
FWIW, got a letter from the Blackhawks today in response to my letter. (I've written the 30 NHL Governors. With this letter, I've had responses from three teams: Sharks, Devils and now Hawks)

Do you have a copy of the letter you sent out?

Old
12-03-2012, 03:48 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

what did the letter say?

Old
12-03-2012, 03:55 PM
BoltSTH

Quote:
I honestly don't know what you're getting at. The point I was saying is that Jacobs has been around long enough to see what's happening in Tampa Bay before. Now do I know If Vinnik is going to bail out? Nope. Has it happend before? Yes.

Has Jacobs had to pay for this? Yes. See Pheonix.

I'm only trying to understand Jacob's motivations for being a hard liner. It may be more than this. "He's a big greedy *******." stuff that's spewed but this mob mentality that's turned into a bloody witch hunt.

I'll take the belief Jacobs is an owner that is in this for the long haul and in so doing has a vested interest in protecting the league and hense himself from the failure of small markets.
FYI. The Lightning have received revenue sharing/league $ exactly 1 time, and that was when the cowboys owned the club. Koules/Barrie should never had been allowed to own the club, it was done as Bill Davidson's widow wanted to sell ASAP, and PS&E lent 50% of the $ to buy it from themselves, but K/B never had the money to run it.
So Tampa may be a smaller hockey market (at least for now), but it is not a drain on anyone else like you are suggesting.
Also Vinik is in it for the long haul as well, with plans to redevelop the channelside district of Tampa

Closed Thread