HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Lockout II - Moderated: Talk about your plenty, Talk about your ills...

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Pepper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
I'm calling BS.

The current players don't give a damn about future players. Just look at their spitball proposal that paid 57% to current contracts and 50% on future contracts.
This. Anyone who claims that PA is looking after future contracts is, well, misinformed.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:15 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Your money argument might makes sense if owning a NHL team was the main income of the 30 owners in the league.

It's not. For any owner.
Your argument might make sense if NHL players were your average worker making $3000 per month.

They're not. For any player.

They'll do just fine with another lost season.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Your argument might make sense if NHL players were your average worker making $3000 per month.

They'll do a lot better if they sign the owners worst offer

But we can't expect knowledge from the PA

Old
12-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:

Your argument might make sense if these players had the expenses of someone making 3K/month. In fact, these players have the expenses of millionaires, which are huge.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The only owners making any real big money are the guys in Toronto, Montreal, New York, Boston, and maybe Philly.

And hockey is only a side-project, peanuts-profit for them, they make a ton of money elsewhere. The Rangers are just a nice little feather in MSG's cap for example, the Knicks are a much bigger draw, the Rangers just ride shot gun.
Chicago.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:34 PM
CerebralGenesis

Any real news lately or just more BSing around until the 11th hour?

Old
12-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Pepper

Quote:

Really? How fine will those fringe NHL players do? AHL for 50-80K per season for few years, after that what?

Old
12-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Scurr

Quote:
If they really cared about future players they wouldn't demand so much money that teams will have to fold, causing hundreds of NHL jobs disappear. If they really cared about future players, they'd swallow their pride and accept a deal that would give 30 teams a fighting chance to survive and would have done it in the summer before HRR was destroyed.
Interesting take. I might buy that if the owners proposal was in any way shaped toward strengthening 30 teams, it wasn't. Nor do I think the players are asking for so much money that it's going to put the league out of business. Nor do I think getting hammered on contract rights is about the strength of 30 teams. Agree to disagree.

Old
12-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Interesting take. I might buy that if the owners proposal was in any way shaped toward strengthening 30 teams, it wasn't. Nor do I think the players are asking for so much money that it's going to put the league out of business. Nor do I think getting hammered on contract rights is about the strength of 30 teams. Agree to disagree.
This. It's hilarious how people keep trying to spin the owners proposal as a cure all when it's nothing more than a band-aid.

Old
12-01-2012, 05:00 PM
normalpsychology

Quote:
Really? How fine will those fringe NHL players do? AHL for 50-80K per season for few years, after that what?
after that you get a real job like the rest of the world and consider yourself lucky you got to travel and play an effing game for your living for a few years. god forbid they had to live on the same level as 99.99 percent of the rest of the world.

Old
12-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Huh?

Taking the salary costs down doesn't strengthen all 30 teams?

Increasing revenue sharing to what (or close to) NHLPA wante doesn't strenghten 30 teams?

Players asking money that currently keeps 13-18 teams in the red is not too much?

Old
12-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Taking the salary costs down doesn't strengthen all 30 teams?
It'll help teams lose less money, they'll still be losing money. This isn't a solution to the leagues problem, just a band-aid. I haven't seen any kind of plan from the league to have 30 strong clubs, have you?

Quote:
Increasing revenue sharing to what (or close to) NHLPA wante doesn't strenghten 30 teams?
You want me to give the league credit for something the players insisted on?

Quote:
Players asking money that currently keeps 13-18 teams in the red is not too much?
The players have conceded money going forward. The problem is that they can't give enough back to make all the teams profitable, at some point those teams need to help themselves.

Old
12-01-2012, 05:51 PM
AlienLanes82

Watching MLS Cup final, and ESPN had a graphic showing that finalist Houston Dynamo has a payroll of something like 3.8 million.

The future for the NHL, perhaps?

Old
12-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
The league has offered to lower the cap ceiling and basement, and increase revenue sharing.
How on earth does that not strengthen the poorer teams?
What the hell is going on?

Old
12-01-2012, 06:03 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienLanes82 View Post
Watching MLS Cup final, and ESPN had a graphic showing that finalist Houston Dynamo has a payroll of something like 3.8 million.

Maybe if the NHL existed solely in the US. Which it doesn't

Old
12-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
It'll help teams lose less money, they'll still be losing money. This isn't a solution to the leagues problem, just a band-aid. I haven't seen any kind of plan from the league to have 30 strong clubs, have you?
The leagues initial plan would have helped the poor teams substantially. But the players of course turned it down.

Quote:
You want me to give the league credit for something the players insisted on?

Quote:
The players have conceded money going forward. The problem is that they can't give enough back to make all the teams profitable, at some point those teams need to help themselves.
The players conceded money going forward?
To quote you from above: "You want me to give the players credit for something the league insisted on?"

About half of the owners are losing millions per year while the players minimum wage is half a million.
It SHOULD be the players making all of the concessions.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienLanes82 View Post

Well there you go, the team they played had 5 times that. Works for MLS....

Old
12-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Gotaf7

Quote:
Your argument might make sense if these players had the expenses of someone making 3K/month. In fact, these players have the expenses of millionaires, which are huge.
I have a friend that earns just over a 1 mil a year, he has a very nice house a very nice cottage nice cars nice boats new snowmobile every year and on and on, I asked him how long he could go without a payday he says probably less than 3 months! Most of these guys live very large if they are not hurting yet they will be very soon.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:23 PM
AlienLanes82

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Not sure what you mean. There are 3 Canadian teams in the MLS - about 15%. There are 7 Canadian teams in the NHL - about 25%.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
The leagues initial plan would have helped the poor teams substantially. But the players of course turned it down.

The players conceded money going forward?
To quote you from above: "You want me to give the players credit for something the league insisted on?"

About half of the owners are losing millions per year while the players minimum wage is half a million.
It SHOULD be the players making all of the concessions.
Nothing the NHL has proposed is going to make for 30 strong franchises, or even 20. At some point the NHL has to help themselves, it can't all be the players giving back until they make money, especially when these teams "losing money" are the ones signing the contracts. Players should give up a % of HRR... and they will. The NHL should also look in mirror and acknowledge that they have been a big part of the problem.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
Nothing the NHL has proposed is going to make for 30 strong franchises, or even 20. At some point the NHL has to help themselves, it can't all be the players giving back until they make money, especially when these teams "losing money" are the ones signing the contracts. Players should give up a % of HRR... and they will. The NHL should also look in mirror and acknowledge that they have been a big part of the problem.
The players gave up HRR, and the owners increased revenue sharing.

The players see it as "we gave up something, so now the league has to give up just as much".

However, when half of the teams are losing millions, and the players minimum wage is half a million, it should JUST be the players making concessions.

The league needs a significantly lower cap basement and ceiling. A sport that is 4th tier in the US should have the players making significantly less % of HRR than the other leagues. Don't worry... the millionaire players will still be millionaires.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
This exact same situation would happen if the NHL was US only.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
How is decreasing the player's share of HRR and increasing rev sharing not in "any way shaped toward strengthening 30 teams"?

Over half the teams lost money last year. The players making too much money, that is a fact. The NHLPA has not agreed to a reduction to HRR and has been asking for raises.

I didn't say that the league would fold, I said teams would fold. Huge difference.

The contract restrictions have basically nothign to do with the players. They're there so GMs can't circumvent the cap and rich teams can't offer huge contracts that poorer teams can't compete with. Only ~10% of current players are on contracts that are 6 or more years long. a 5 year cap really isn't that big of a deal.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
This. It's hilarious how people keep trying to spin the owners proposal as a cure all when it's nothing more than a band-aid.
So what would you propose?

I guess if 50/50 is just a band-aid the owners should demand a whole lot more, right?

Old
12-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
The players gave up HRR, and the owners increased revenue sharing.

The players see it as "we gave up something, so now the league has to give up just as much".

However, when half of the teams are losing millions, and the players minimum wage is half a million, it should JUST be the players making concessions.

The league needs a significantly lower cap basement and ceiling. A sport that is 4th tier in the US should have the players making significantly less % of HRR than the other leagues. Don't worry... the millionaire players will still be millionaires.
The real issue here is that the players, while willing to make concessions on the economic stuff, are less willing to concede those items that were conceded to them in exchange for implementing the Cap in the first place. If the NHL left the contract issues out of the negotiation, it would be done already.

(This is aside from the front loading contract issue, which the players are willing to work with as well. Mostly because front-loaded long term contracts hurt their short term escrow payments.)

Closed Thread