HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Madness the 8th: Josh Johnson Edition.

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 03:06 AM
KingTY

vCash: 500
Lawrie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_mDTk6tULo

Old
12-05-2012, 03:18 AM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Rays continue to show why they are one of the smartest organizations in baseball.
Jon Daniels and Andrew Friedman are so far ahead of the curve that it is almost unfair.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:26 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
yeah but hopefully prospects more so.
weakening their rotation for next season
they cant take on big contracts

If Rays move Shields or Price they'll get a big bat in return not prospects. They have Shields under control for 2 more years and Price for 3 more. They'll want to contend in 2013 which I think they can.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:29 AM
Dark Knight
We The North !!

Not that I'm saying it should happen but it would be the most comical sports story if, hypothetically, Roy Halladay gets traded back to Toronto for the same players he got dealt for.

Travis D'Arnaud
Anthony Gose (Michael Taylor ---> Brett Wallace)
Kyle Dravek

for

The Doc

12-05-2012, 06:38 AM
mapes

I know you're joking but no way I give that up for Doc. Age is catching up to him and we only have control of him for 1 year.

I would love to go after him as a free agent though or deal for him if the price is right. But no way D'Arnaud would be part of it.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Not that I'm saying it should happen but it would be the most comical sports story if, hypothetically, Roy Halladay gets traded back to Toronto for the same players he got dealt for.

Travis D'Arnaud
Anthony Gose (Michael Taylor ---> Brett Wallace)
Kyle Dravek

for

The Doc

So all we end up getting for 650 Innings of Elite pitching for the Phillies is the honour of developing their 3 prospects for them?

Last edited by Woodman19: 12-05-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old
12-05-2012, 08:06 AM
TieClark

Keep one of Gose or D'Arnaud

Old
12-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Keep one of Gose or D'Arnaud
How are you responding to that post as thoug it were serious? It was clearly a joke. Obviously Halladay makes no sense for the Jays, even paying a fraction of the price (in both dollars and assets).

Old
12-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
It's apparent that the next series of moves are going to be the "Polishing" moves, and mostly address depth.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:39 AM
gladis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
To think, Jeff Mathis is now the 2nd highest paid Marlin on the team with a grand total 1.5 Million a year and to think people were calling Rogers cheap
How much is Hech & Pierre making?

Last edited by gladis: 12-05-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old
12-05-2012, 09:40 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
It's apparent that the next series of moves are going to be the "Polishing" moves, and mostly address depth.
This.

Personally I see him grabbing a 5th starter, move Happ to long relief duty or spot start (if injuries occur).

1 more starter would add so much to this team

Old
12-05-2012, 10:37 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
This.

Personally I see him grabbing a 5th starter, move Happ to long relief duty or spot start (if injuries occur).

I see no reason to grab a 5th starter.

If AA's grabbing anything with a MLB contract, its another #2/3 or above that gives us a legitimate reason to move Happ to the bullpen. Otherwise he may as well just build up on the Laffey-esque depth guys to give us #7/8/9 starters in case of injury.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:53 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post

If AA's grabbing anything with a MLB contract, its another #2/3 or above that gives us a legitimate reason to move Happ to the bullpen. Otherwise he may as well just build up on the Laffey-esque depth guys to give us #7/8/9 starters in case of injury.
With you here too.

Happ is an "elite" 5th starter in the league at this point. I think the most AA would do is bring in a Villanueva type who is a very good long reliever and spot starter. Someone to push Happ and also jump in if someone goes down, rain-out double headers etc. (Although Cecil and Lincoln could both fit this worst case at this point)

More likely he stocks up on Quad-A guys like Laffey etc. and maybe gets a few guys in on ST invites, with the hope that if/when they don't catch on with us or another team that they're willing to play in Buffalo. Candidates for this would be Kelvim Escobar, Jeremy Bonderman, Kip Wells etc.

These guys would be great, even if they want to have an extended audition in AAA and could catch on with a ML team halfway through the year... by that time we may have Perez/Drabek/McGowan available.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:58 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
This.

Yep a little top up to fill the team out.

I dunno if Cleveland would trade him, but picking up Jiminez as a little reclamation project could work out nicely.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:58 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:

Agree.

We have 3 starters that will be able to win us some games next year. Morrow, Johnson, Buerhle. Romero is completely up in the air. We will need a #4 in order to compete for a championship, and next year may be the only year all of the pieces fall into place.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:03 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

I firmly believe we will make a strong run at Anibal.

I don't know if we could get him without going to five years, but I really only see him/Greinke as the two pitchers that are the 'difference makers' that AA keeps mentioning in terms of getting Rogers to open up their wallets.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Tom Cheek wins Ford C. Frick award!

Great news, I'm glad he'll finally be recognized in Cooperstown.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:13 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Tom Cheek wins Ford C. Frick award!

Great news, I'm glad he'll finally be recognized in Cooperstown.
Dear God it was about time.

This is a cherry on top of an already fantastic offseason.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:13 AM
calcal798

Quote:
I firmly believe we will make a strong run at Anibal.

I don't know if we could get him without going to five years, but I really only see him/Greinke as the two pitchers that are the 'difference makers' that AA keeps mentioning in terms of getting Rogers to open up their wallets.
If we could get him locked up for 5 years at 75-85 mil it'd prob be our best option to fill out the rotation. JJ is prob going to want a 4 year 80 mil or so, if we get that last pitcher it would probably entice JJ to sign now before the season starts so we could even get a discount (especially if two of them are from the Marlins team last year).

If that happened we would be looking good with our core pretty much locked up for the next three years and lots of talent coming up in the minors.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:15 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
If we could get him locked up for 5 years at 75-85 mil it'd prob be our best option to fill out the rotation. JJ is prob going to want a 4 year 80 mil or so, if we get that last pitcher it would probably entice JJ to sign now before the season starts so we could even get a discount (especially if two of them are from the Marlins team last year).

If that happened we would be looking good with our core pretty much locked up for the next three years and lots of talent coming up in the minors.
He's looking for 90mill and 7 years.

Judging by the way the pitching market has gone so far... he's going to get that. Because of where our payroll alreayd is I don't think we're going to make a run at Sanchez

Old
12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyHolden View Post
R.A. Dicky was just on Jon Stewart talking about his Cy Young, The way he was talking, made it sound like its almost 100% he is going to be moved. He said something to the affect "It's hard to think about having to pick up and move your family to Toronto. Or a place like LA."

I don't know just sounded weird imo the way he said it. Probably high on the list for this guy.
Think Toronto is more involved in trade talks than AA leads on (which shouldnt surprise any of us, he famously keeps these things under-wraps)

Would rather not lose D'Arnaud or J.P ......but that's probably the asking price

Old
12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

The Twins appear to be calling around to gauge trade interest in former MVP Justin Morneau, bth the Twins seeking young pitching.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:18 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i think the asking price for dickey would be arencebia and gose

bleah

arencebia and rasmus i do

Old
12-05-2012, 11:29 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
He's looking for 90mill and 7 years.

Judging by the way the pitching market has gone so far... he's going to get that. Because of where our payroll alreayd is I don't think we're going to make a run at Sanchez
90 for 7? I thought it was 90 for 5? If thats the case I'd do a 5 year 70 plus 12 per year for 2 year options. puts the contract at 94 mil for 7 years.

You never know, maybe AA has something else up his sleeve. He could sign Sanchez then flip Buerhle plus something else to another team, Dodgers, Braves, Mets etc and get a younger SP with less contract.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:33 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
90 for 7? I thought it was 90 for 5? If thats the case I'd do a 5 year 70 plus 12 per year for 2 year options. puts the contract at 94 mil for 7 years.

You never know, maybe AA has something else up his sleeve. He could sign Sanchez then flip Buerhle plus something else to another team, Dodgers, Braves, Mets etc and get a younger SP with less years.
I may have been five, I believe it was 7 though. Remember that the whole "nothing longer than 5 years" policy is still in place. I think if anything we're more likely to get someone on a 1 year deal, McCarthy/Marcum type. I really don't think AA is going to get the go-ahead to spend another 10+ mill a year for term for a #4/5 starter.

Of course in a trade its a different story. If you trade JPA/Lind in a package for a starter then its a different ballgame.

Closed Thread