HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Madness the 8th: Josh Johnson Edition.

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
calcal798

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I may have been five, I believe it was 7 though. Remember that the whole "nothing longer than 5 years" policy is still in place. I think if anything we're more likely to get someone on a 1 year deal, McCarthy/Marcum type. I really don't think AA is going to get the go-ahead to spend another 10+ mill a year for term for a #4/5 starter.

Of course in a trade its a different story. If you trade JPA/Lind in a package for a starter then its a different ballgame.
Yep I think trading would be the way to go, John Niese would be a good pickup, or a guy like Jiminez like I said above. Smaller contracts, younger guys, with good talent. When you put them in a rotation were they arent predicted to be the ace (Jiminez) it would really take the pressure off them and they may get back to their former self.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Rather than giving up prospects for Dickey who is great and still has a lot left in him despite being 38, I think it is a much better option to just try to sign Anibal Sanchez without giving up our prospects.

Sanchez is a top of the rotation starter who you can probably get for a 5 year 60-65 million deal.

Johnson
Buerhle
Morrow
Romero
Sanchez

There are no doubts in that rotation. Simply just one of the best.
Sanchez already turned down a similar deal from the Tigers. He wants 90mil. That's not up for negotiation.... He won't be a Blue Jay anytime soon, if ever.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:45 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
Sanchez already turned down a similar deal from the Tigers. He wants 90mil. That's not up for negotiation.... He won't be a Blue Jay anytime soon, if ever.
Thought it was 90 for 5, thats a large price tag, I'd love if it happeened. But I dont know if Management would do it.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:45 AM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Sanchez turned down a 4 year, 48M deal from the Tigers.

Found the article from Nov. 9th. It was 90M for 6 years:

Quote:
Anibal Sanchez is looking for a six-year contract worth around $90MM, reports FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi. It's a large price tag but it's certainly a realistic one for the 28-year-old given the number of teams interested in his services this winter, especially since those suitors include big-market teams like the Tigers, Dodgers, Red Sox and Blue Jays.

Morosi compares the $15MM average annual value of Sanchez's demand to that of C.J. Wilson, who signed a five-year, $77.5MM contract with the Angels last offseason. It's possible that a team could match Wilson's contract in guaranteed money for Sanchez over five years and then make that sixth year either a team option or a vesting option.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
Your very wrong.

Can't wait til Rasmus proves all these haters wrong this year. It's gonna happen.

I'm by no means a Rasmus fanboy but the heat this kid takes from this fanbase unbelievable.
Cardinals fans use to say that 5..6..years ago.... "Can't wait til Rasmus proves us all wrong.."... ain't happening. Traded by a World Series team for an aging Corey Patterson...just to get rid of the daddy issues and other distractions. I could only imagine if Rasmus was on a team like the Yankees...fans, press, would eat him alive.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Yet Colby has provided more value in just one season than Rajai has given through his first two years with the Jays...
Why are people comparing Raja to Colby? Just curious... Raja is more of a bench player (projected) can fill in full time if needed.. Colby was the next "Puljos" to be in St. Louis...and was projected to be a superstar.... Raja is playing to expectations..and does a good job.. Colby is a lifetime underachiever with daddy issues and a deemed distraction to the club house... Ofcourse Colby might have done better than Raja thus far..HE'S suppose too!

That said, Colby has been quite disappointing. Trade 'em while you can still get a lot for him.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post
Sanchez turned down a 4 year, 48M deal from the Tigers.

Found the article from Nov. 9th. It was 90M for 6 years:
5 years at 60 mil = 12 mil a year which is the same per year as 4 years at 48.

So 15 mil per year for a guy that will pitch 190-200 Innings, get around a 3.7 ERA, likely would go one or two games over 500.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:03 PM
topched

Quote:
Cardinals fans use to say that 5..6..years ago.... "Can't wait til Rasmus proves us all wrong.."... ain't happening. Traded by a World Series team for an aging Corey Patterson...just to get rid of the daddy issues and other distractions. I could only imagine if Rasmus was on a team like the Yankees...fans, press, would eat him alive.
Quote:
Why are people comparing Raja to Colby? Just curious... Raja is more of a bench player (projected) can fill in full time if needed.. Colby was the next "Puljos" to be in St. Louis...and was projected to be a superstar.... Raja is playing to expectations..and does a good job.. Colby is a lifetime underachiever with daddy issues and a deemed distraction to the club house... Ofcourse Colby might have done better than Raja thus far..HE'S suppose too!

That said, Colby has been quite disappointing. Trade 'em while you can still get a lot for him.
Weren't you the guy trying to draw parallel between Rajaiiiiiiiii and Colby yesterday?

In case you forgot... Colby was moved so that Jon Jay could get regular playing time. They received a ton of bullpen help and a starter in Edwin Jackson from us in exchange. That's a large haul, considering the relievers and Ejax played a huge role in getting them the WS. Patterson was just a spare part to even things out, was left off the playoff roster.

Cards fans were ecstatic about Colby, he was consistently one of the best prospects in baseball and had a VERY good season there before he was traded.

Colby didn't have daddy issues, he had LaRussa issues. A manager who has been known to have many unrepairable desputes with players... including extremely professional ones like Scott Rolen. Colby has done nothing to show that any of the incidents in St louis were his fault, he's been a good teammate and professional by all accounts. Kid has the tools to be an all-star.

This from a Toronto Sun article this week:

Quote:
One of the theories the Jays are floating regarding Rasmus and his terrible second half is fatigue. The thinking is that he works so hard, takes so much extra batting in the cage both pre- and post-game, that he may simply be worn out in the final two months of the season.

“He plays all the time and one of the issues is he hits all the time,” Anthopoulos said. “One thing we’re going to talk to him about is maybe work a little smarter. He doesn’t need to work as hard as he does, doesn’t need to take as many reps in the cage. It seems like two years in a row he wears down at the end of the season. He almost works too hard.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Bob Barker

Just want to add my congratulations to the late Tom Cheek on his Frick Award win.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Bob Barker

Also, this has been circulating on Twitter.

Audio from the bottom of the 9th, Game 6 of the 1993 World Series.

Tribute to Tom Cheek, and huge moment in Blue Jays history.

https://soundcloud.com/bluejays-voic...heek-1993-game

Old
12-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
Just want to add my congratulations to the late Tom Cheek on his Frick Award win.
About ****ing time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
Also, this has been circulating on Twitter.

Audio from the bottom of the 9th, Game 6 of the 1993 World Series.

Tribute to Tom Cheek, and huge moment in Blue Jays history.

https://soundcloud.com/bluejays-voic...heek-1993-game
Still brings chills.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
5 years at 60 mil = 12 mil a year which is the same per year as 4 years at 48.

So 15 mil per year for a guy that will pitch 190-200 Innings, get around a 3.7 ERA, likely would go one or two games over 500.
90 for 6 was his asking price, so 15 mill a year. Not sure if that has changed however

Old
12-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Kudos to the nicest "great man" in the business: Congratulations, Tom - we miss you

As far as signings go, Anthopolous has ALREADY gotten ownership to come to the table for difference makers and their salaries, he's NOT looking for another $15+ million guy. He's indicated that their salary is well north of where they'd planned for it to be prior to the Marlins deal appearing, so any further moves will be low-cost additions of young players in their first so years of control, and/or salary out/salary in moves.

So I think we can let go of any dreams of adding Anibal Sanchez to the top of the rotation. Guys like Niese, Ogando or Anderson are still options on the trade front, and there are AAAA guys available as depth starters via free agency.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
So all we end up getting for 650 Innings of Elite pitching for the Phillies is the honour of developing their 3 prospects for them?
if you wanna call Drabek "developing"

Old
12-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i think the asking price for dickey would be arencebia and gose

bleah

arencebia and rasmus i do
Why? Gose is pretty terrible (I'm not a fan of either but at least Rasmus is a starter for us)

Old
12-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Bob Barker

Rumors are that the Dbacks, Rangers, Rays and Indians are discussing a 4-way deal. That'd be massive if the names that have been rumoured to be available are moving in this deal.

Edit: Buster Olney is saying the KC Royals are in the deal somehow, so I'm not sure which team isn't.
He's also saying the Dbacks would be getting SS Cabrera

Old
12-05-2012, 12:35 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Why? Gose is pretty terrible (I'm not a fan of either but at least Rasmus is a starter for us)
Lol I love this.

Gose is terrible, Syndergaard is terrible, Sanchez is terrible, Norris is terrible.

All those guys would absolutely suck in the majors if they played right now, so terrible.

You know who else is "pretty terrible"? Jurickson Profar, guy hit .176 last year with the Rangers Can you believe that? Best prospect in baseball and he sucked in the majors. Rangers should trade him.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Having said the above, I would still love to see Anthopolous worm his way into the rumoured 4-team deal, and lean on his strong scouting team to pull off an under-the-radar steal or two... Call it "pulling a Beane".

Old
12-05-2012, 12:40 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Having said the above, I would still love to see Anthopolous worm his way into the rumoured 4-team deal, and lean on his strong scouting team to pull off an under-the-radar steal or two... Call it "pulling a Beane".
Hell, just make it a 6-team deal. Rangers, D-backs, Royals, Indians, Rays, and Jays.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:42 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

More on this 4-team potential trade:

Quote:
MLB Network PR‏@MLBNetworkPR

.@Ken_Rosenthal on a potential blockbuster deal involving multiple teams: “The thing driving this is the #Rangers’ desire for Justin Upton.”
Quote:
Buster Olney‏@Buster_ESPN

As we reported late yesterday afternoon, Arizona is the middle of this four-team talk; they would be getting Asdrubal Cabrera for SS.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
The Man in White

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
About ****ing time!

Still brings chills.
This.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:10 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

More from the 4-team deal:
Quote:
Jeff Passan‏@JeffPassan

Indians are pushing the Diamondbacks to include Tyler Skaggs in a deal for Asdrubal Cabrera. D-backs would prefer to trade Trevor Bauer.
Quote:
Jeff Passan‏@JeffPassan

D-backs like a lot of Rangers prospects: Olt, Leury Garcia, Cody Buckel. But don't want to trade Upton unless Profar or Andrus is involved.
Quote:
Ken Rosenthal‏@Ken_Rosenthal

On #Rangers’ pursuit of Upton: TEX side more confident, but acknowledge “ways to go” before deal. Unclear how many teams involved in trade.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
He does not have daddy issues, there was a fall out in the club house between him and La Russa. La Russa just used his father as the excuse. Also Corey Patterson, yeah he was nothing of value in that deal. Edwin Jackson, Scrabble and Dotel were the main pieces to acquire him. All had fairly high value in the summer as they were coming off impressive seasons, not to mention Jon Jay was too so they were able to deal Rasmus to get them to solidify their pen and rotation.

Quote:

No, Rajai (not Raja) is not meeting his expectations. This was a guy coming off career years with the Athletics and has turned in abysmal showings in his tenure as a Blue Jay. Most of that could be because he's been getting a boatload of ABs against righties, so if he doesn't improve next season playing strictly lefties and pinch running off the bench then no he's not doing a good job. As for Rasmus, I'm not saying he's better than Rajai, because that's obvious, I'm saying he provides more value at his position (starting CF) for this team than what Rajai would be coming off the bench. Some people (you) would rather move Rasmus and acquire Michael Bourn, and I'm telling you right now he's not a good candidate to join the Jays. I, along with quite a few others have stated why he's not a good fit with the club, but you continue to not listen.

Quote:
Kudos to the nicest "great man" in the business: Congratulations, Tom - we miss you

As far as signings go, Anthopolous has ALREADY gotten ownership to come to the table for difference makers and their salaries, he's NOT looking for another $15+ million guy. He's indicated that their salary is well north of where they'd planned for it to be prior to the Marlins deal appearing, so any further moves will be low-cost additions of young players in their first so years of control, and/or salary out/salary in moves.

So I think we can let go of any dreams of adding Anibal Sanchez to the top of the rotation. Guys like Niese, Ogando or Anderson are still options on the trade front, and there are AAAA guys available as depth starters via free agency.
While he's said that the Jays have already exceeded expectations on payroll, Anthopoulos always stated afterwards that if he sees someone as a fit, even if they have quite a bit of money attached, there should be no reason for Beeston and the owners to decline it. He's made it perfectly clear that he still has wiggle room, but it's only if the player coming in will improve the team dramatically.

Quote:
Personally, I would want to see a guy like Bauer come back to us if he were to figure out a way into this deal. A guy that could stay down in Buffalo, and when the time comes (injuries) he'll be one of the first up. I'm not going to gauge his value right now because it's probably still a bit inflated by the D'Backs, and I wouldn't really know who would see fit for them or the other clubs in the deal.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:12 PM
BertCorbeau

Anyone else think AA is behind this 4-team deal, engineering it, talking to all 4 GM's in an attempt to divert everyone's attention while he sets up a bigger move?

Old
12-05-2012, 01:16 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

The more I hear about the Red Sox rumors, the more I want to lease a spot on the Jays bandwagon for 5 yrs.

BFC's qualifications for said lease:

Won a hockey bet with a Hab's fan and forced him to be made up as a clown in his Habs jersey.

Hates Boston Bruins with a passion, wouldn't park his car atop Jeremy Jacobs because his foulness would offend the noble rust on the undercarrage of the car.

Likes the York area and know where to get good BBQ in TO.

Has access to booze; Yungeling, Ithaca, Southern Tier, Southern Moonshine,other assorted types of microbrews.

Roots for the Argos to piss off a friend who was the mascot for the Tabbies.

Closed Thread