HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Offseason Madness the 8th: Josh Johnson Edition.

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 12:16 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
I'd love to one day just see a 30 team trade with fringe prospects for the hell of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Likes the York area and know where to get good BBQ in TO.
Now when you say York, do you mean the North Toronto-ish York, York Region or York University? This is important in determining acceptance.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

vCash: 500
Quote:
The more I hear about the Red Sox rumors, the more I want to lease a spot on the Jays bandwagon for 5 yrs.

BFC's qualifications for said lease:

Won a hockey bet with a Hab's fan and forced him to be made up as a clown in his Habs jersey.

Hates Boston Bruins with a passion, wouldn't park his car atop Jeremy Jacobs because his foulness would offend the noble rust on the undercarrage of the car.

Likes the York area and know where to get good BBQ in TO.

Has access to booze
; Yungeling, Ithaca, Southern Tier, Southern Moonshine,other assorted types of microbrews.

Roots for the Argos to piss off a friend who was the mascot for the Tabbies.
Done!

Also, we do not offer no-trade clauses so be aware that the trade deadline could be a nervous time for you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
Why are people comparing Raja to Colby? Just curious...
If you're referring to the conversation yesterday. It was a comparison between Davis and other bench players, aswell as Rasmus and other center fielders. Comparing Davis and Rasmus directly is a useless endeavor.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Kessley Snipes

Did the Marlins just trade Yunel to the Rays?

Old
12-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
Well, technically they did it last night...

Honestly, could be a major coup for Tampa, if Maddon can get Yunel's head even close to straight, he can still be one of the better SS in the game. Hell, even if he plays like he did last year, as long as he isn't a huge distraction to the team, he'll be great value for them (trade and contract-wise).

Now all Miami's gotta do is trade Nolasco, and their total exodus of salary is complete.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:28 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
Happened yesterday, yup.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:29 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Done!

Also, we do not offer no-trade clauses so be aware that the trade deadline could be a nervous time for you and your family.
I'm single and like to travel the world.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
I'm single and like to travel the world.
Welcome aboard.

The fact that you're a Preds fan like myself, and not a Bruins fan like many in that area are, means you get to advance past the hazing process. "The Paddling Of The Swollen Ass! With paddles."

Old
12-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Kessley Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post

Honestly, could be a major coup for Tampa, if Maddon can get Yunel's head even close to straight, he can still be one of the better SS in the game. Hell, even if he plays like he did last year, as long as he isn't a huge distraction to the team, he'll be great value for them (trade and contract-wise).

Now all Miami's gotta do is trade Nolasco, and their total exodus of salary is complete.

Must have missed that. I think that's a fantastic deal for Tampa Bay .

This honestly worries me, I feel like he could be one of those guys who plays against us with a chip on his shoulder.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:36 PM
BertCorbeau
Hellloooo!!!

Quote:

Wouldn't that drop their payroll to $10.5 million for next year?

If baseball is that stubborn against having a cap system, and wants to keep this 'luxury tax' thing for teams who overspend going that's fine .. But impose a penalty that is the inverse of the luxury tax for teams like the Marlins who refuse to spend money to field a competitive team, and profit by the still getting the revenues shared from other teams. An approach such as a team must spend X amount on a roster otherwise they receive a diminishing share of revenue comparable to other teams

Old
12-05-2012, 12:42 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Welcome aboard.

The fact that you're a Preds fan like myself, and not a Bruins fan like many in that area are, means you get to advance past the hazing process. "The Paddling Of The Swollen Ass! With paddles."

I only request Canadian coke, Harvey's, and Coffee Time Crossants.

Now back to the the topic.

Do you guys think you are a WS now? I know you are fighting the Rays for the top spot. We are having bets one who will get the basement spot; Yanks or Sox. Honestly, I need to do more statistical Analysis on your pitching to see if you can top the Rays.

You would hope the Jays wait to trade more pieces to evaluated the team.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Wouldn't that drop their payroll to $10.5 million for next year?

If baseball is that stubborn against having a cap system, and wants to keep this 'luxury tax' thing for teams who overspend going that's fine .. But impose a penalty that is the inverse of the luxury tax for teams like the Marlins who refuse to spend money to field a competitive team, and profit by the still getting the revenues shared from other teams. An approach such as a team must spend X amount on a roster otherwise they receive a diminishing share of revenue comparable to other teams
It would drop to about $11M, and they'd go into the season around $18M or so once they've re-upped all their non-arb eligible players.

But yeah, I agree that in order for teams to qualify for revenue sharing, they should have to spend at least the amount they receive from the league through revenue sharing and the league-wide TV deal. Even if it's 80% of what they receive so they can pocket some to use later (ala Cincinnati with Votto), there's no way a team should be spending less than $25 million on their roster nowadays, especially with how the Marlins are going about it.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Lol I love this.

Gose is terrible, Syndergaard is terrible, Sanchez is terrible, Norris is terrible.

All those guys would absolutely suck in
Who said any of those pitchers were terrible? What on earth are you talking about?

Gose has been mediocre at every level of the minor leagues, and was crap in the majors. Where is the promise? Is it just finger-crossing hope that he's good simply because he was in the Halladay deal or what?

Old
12-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Who said any of those pitchers were terrible? What on earth are you talking about?

Gose has been mediocre at every level of the minor leagues, and was crap in the majors. Where is the promise? Is it just finger-crossing hope that he's good simply because he was in the Halladay deal or what?
just curious, why is your name Sokil? I'm ukrainian as well

Old
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
just curious, why is your name Sokil? I'm ukrainian as well
the Ukrainian hockey team

Old
12-05-2012, 12:49 PM
BertCorbeau
Hellloooo!!!

Quote:

Do you guys think you are a WS now? I know you are fighting the Rays for the top spot. We are having bets one who will get the basement spot; Yanks or Sox. Honestly, I need to do more statistical Analysis on your pitching to see if you can top the Rays.

Right now I think the Jays have the talent and good make up on their roster to win the WS, but the issue is going to be health and the ability for the young players to take a step forward in their development.. Can this team stay healthy enough all season and not have any major injuries, especially towards the end of the season?

This is pertaining to the rotation, it's got the stuff to compete with the Rays but a lot lies on the shoulders of JJ and Morrow's ability to stay healthy all year and pitch close to when they've been at their best. Realistically I think the rotation needs one or two more depth arms to compete for the #5 spot, and there are good options in FA or even in a trade that would at least give the Jays one of the deepest quality rotations in the league.

Adding a couple more arms for the 'pen would be huge too for this group.

Otherwise the only thing they could really use is a power bat for the #5 spot in the line up behind EE who could DH or play 1B ... Right now that's hinging on a rebound season from Lind, or having a player like Rasmus take a step forward in his development as both have the power to hit in that spot but haven't put it consistently together to be reliably pencilled into that spot.

Just my two cents

Old
12-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

The Twins are gauging interest in Justin Morneau.

Now I know that because of concussion issues, Morneau has had his struggles in the recent years but he's a left handed bat and still has enough talent to put up a productive year for us.

He can be a natural fit after Bautista and before Encarnacion for that clean up spot.

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
Morneau
Encarnacion
Lawrie
Rasmus
Arencibia
Izturis

That is a potent lineup right there.

12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Another thing is Drabek and Hutchinson will be healthy mid-season so the Jays could have 2 more pitchers by trade deadline.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:

It's probably the pessimistic side in me who's used to being let down, but I don't know if this is a WS roster. As much skill as there is, there's a lot of unknowns...Can Morrow/JJ stay healthy? Is Romero going to be as bad as last season? How will Buerhle do? Will Reyes hold up for the full season on turf? Can Lawrie take the next step? Can Rasmus/JPA finally find consistency? Which Cabrera are we getting? The bullpen?

Everyone knows how much I support the team and how excited I am, and I don't think that each one of those questions will be answered with a negative response, but the only close to certainties we have right now are Bautista, EE and Maicer who I think can be counted on as a solid 2B. After that, almost everyone is a question mark.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:05 PM
topched

Quote:

I'm just laughing because you're stating as fact that Gose is terrible
Allstar at Lakewood, Dunedin, the Arizona Fall League and New Hampshire... and a futures game selection last year in the PCL.

You're judging it based on his major league performance at the end of last year, when eh wasn't ready. By that standard you should think Profar who only hit .176 in a few major league games is mediocre as well... when in reality he is the top prospect in baseball.

Gose hasn't had enough time to develop yet to be judged.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:12 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Another thing is Drabek and Hutchinson will be healthy mid-season so the Jays could have 2 more pitchers by trade deadline.
Hutch wont be ready next year. Drabek will be ready by July.

Also, more on the 4-team trade:

Quote:
Jon Heyman‏@JonHeymanCBS

Many combinations discussed by 3/4 teams but word is 1 had upton going to tex, asdrubal to AZ and martin perez plus to cle

Old
12-05-2012, 01:15 PM
PugFugly

Quote:
It's probably the pessimistic side in me who's used to being let down, but I don't know if this is a WS roster. As much skill as there is, there's a lot of unknowns...Can Morrow/JJ stay healthy? Is Romero going to be as bad as last season? How will Buerhle do? Will Reyes hold up for the full season on turf? Can Lawrie take the next step? Can Rasmus/JPA finally find consistency? Which Cabrera are we getting? The bullpen?

Everyone knows how much I support the team and how excited I am, and I don't think that each one of those questions will be answered with a negative response, but the only close to certainties we have right now are Bautista, EE and Maicer who I think can be counted on as a solid 2B. After that, almost everyone is a question mark.
I tend to agree -- I think we need some more depth for the back end of the rotation and I'd like to see another bat added.

All of Rasmus, Arencibia, Lind and Bonifacio are coming off of poor seasons so I'd feel better with one more dependable bat to balance the latter half of our order.

The nice thing about this year is that every other team in our division has as many, if not more, question marks going into the season:

How will Sabathia hold up this year coming off his injury? Will Pettite and Kuroda continue to be productive at their advanced age? How will they deal with ARod and Jeter potentially missing time next year? Will Teixeira ever be healthy again? Who replaces Swisher's production?

Similar questions can be asked about the Red Sox as well, especially when you consider the years Lester and Ellsbury had and the season ending injury to Ortiz.

This might be the most even AL East race we've seen in decades, so colour me excited.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:17 PM
weems

Quote:

Gose has also been either the youngest or one of the youngest players at both AA and AAA and never repeated a level which means he was pushed extremely fast. In AA he hit 16 homers, stole 70 bases and played GG calibar defense as a raw 20yo and was rated as the league most exciting player. Where is the promise? Lets see, the guy has insane defense, insane arm, insane speed, knows how to take a walk, has some pop and from all accounts is one of the most coachable kid you'll find. If his bat even develops into average he will be a monster of a player.

He wasnt even supposed to be in the majors at all last season if not for a ridiculous amount of injuries and even tho he struggled in his first stint, he was actually fairly decent the 2nd time around and had a hit in like 11 of his last 15 games. In many less games last season Gose out WAR'ed Rajai Davis. DiamondJoeQuimby made a great post awhile back showing players like Austin Jackson and others and showed the stats they put up in the minors and there first stints and Gose was very similar in this regard.

Baseball America ranked him #39 in there top 100 prospects and 2nd overall for the Jays so theres obviously alot of very respected baseball evaluators that think very highly of the kid.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:20 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post
Hutch wont be ready next year. Drabek will be ready by July.

Also, more on the 4-team trade:
Just curious but were does it say that Hutchison wont be ready next year but Drabek will be in July?

Old
12-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Right now I think the Jays have the talent and good make up on their roster to win the WS, but the issue is going to be health.. Can this team stay healthy enough all season and not have any major injuries, especially towards the end of the season.

This is pertaining to the rotation, it's got the stuff to compete with the Rays but a lot lies on the shoulders of JJ and Morrow's ability to stay healthy all year and pitch close to when they've been at their best. Realistically I think the rotation needs one or two more depth arms to compete for the #5 spot, and there are good options in FA or even in a trade that would at least give the Jays one of the deepest quality rotations in the league.

Adding a couple more arms for the 'pen would be huge too for this group.

Otherwise the only thing they could really use is a power bat for the #5 spot in the line up behind EE who could DH or play 1B ... Right now that's hinging on a rebound season from Lind, or having a player like Rasmus take a step forward in his development as both have the power to hit in that spot but haven't put it consistently together to be reliably pencilled into that spot.

Just my two cents
I truly believe our offense is fine as it stands right now. After the landslide of injuries to not only our starters, but the position players too, we still managed to finish with the #13 offense in runs scored. This is a top 10 offense right now and with the growth of support players like Rasmus and Lawrie, it could be as high as a top 5. You mention another middle of the order bat is needed. It would more of a luxury at this point imo. That said, look out for D'Arnaud in 2013-2014. He could be that guy.

The difference between a wildcard/division title and where we've been the past few years is roughly 10-15 more wins. Let's take a look at our competition from the previous 2 years:

AL EAST: 33 - 39
TB: 6 -12
NY: 7- 11
BOS: 8 -10
O's: 12 - 6

Central: 18 - 15

West: 22 - 17

Season Total: 81 - 81

AL EAST: 29 - 43
TB: 4 - 14
NY: 7- 11
BOS: 11 - 7
O's: 7 - 11

Central: 21 - 16

West: 14 - 21

Season Total: 73 - 89

It's difficult to gauge the 2012 blue jays simply because of the injuries, but if there's one lesson we learned, is that the AL West has truly evolved into one of the more dangerous divisions in baseball with Texas, LAA, and Oakland all contenders this past season. I believe there will be some degradation in the AL East, but not to the extent some people are expecting. You'd be a fool to bet against the Yankees, they always manage to find talent/players. The Rays keep doing their thing revitalizing baseball careers and continue to be a thorn in our side, especially at Tropicana Field. Boston and the O's will have to be our punching bag if we want make a real difference in this division.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Just curious but were does it say that Hutchison wont be ready next year but Drabek will be in July?
From what I remember shortly after the injury occurred, Drabek likely won't pitch the 2013 regular season. With Hutch possible mid season.

Closed Thread