HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v.23: The Return of Kyle Lowry

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic View Post
That's mostly true. Though, in Toronto, you don't actually need a winner to sell tickets, you just need hope. This city's professional sports markets run on hope, on optimism. If people believe that there's a chance, they'll buy tickets.

That's what I find so amazing about the organizations inactivity, and it's why I think we have to see somebody fired real soon. It may not make a difference in the line up. It may or may not spark a fire of change on the court. But at the very least it signals to fans that things might change, and when you're at the bottom of the barrel, change is hope.
That is very true, I've lived in Toronto my whole life so I can't really compare Toronto to other cities but you are so right. I don't know another city where hope is the biggest attraction. The Raptors have major issues because they have nothing to sell, they have nothing to give to the fans other than Valenciunas. Ed Davis is a nice player but people are not stupid, they're not going to hang their hopes on someone who's barely played in his first two years. Like you said we're at the bottom of the barrel and a change is the only hope the franchise can give the fan base. Such a sad state of affairs right now. How Colangelo has lasted this long is amazing.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Stats01

Just came across this. What an embarrassing article.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2...angelo_tenure/

You don't need Colangelo to tank. It actually might be easier to move him along so we can move some of the players that are hindering this team. Having the reason to keep Colangelo because most of his moves are long term failures doesn't mean we should just keep on him for the ride. What a joke. Sure he's made some decent moves but gimmie a break, just because he started the rebuild doesn't give him a life time contract. Grange in this article sounds like a corporate shill, trying his best to sell whatever his company wants him to.

Last edited by Stats01: 12-13-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old
12-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

vCash: 500
The PROBLEM is BC and management are stupid to realize it. He just doesn't know how to rebuild.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:12 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 375
Anyone seen Anthony Bennett play? Noticed he's off to a good start.

Season Stats: 19.5 PPG, 8.3 RPG, 1.8 BPG

From Brampton

Last edited by JMcLeaf: 12-13-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old
12-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Anyone seen Anthony Bennett play? Noticed he's off to a good start.

Season Stats: 19.5 PPG, 8.3 RPG, 1.8 BPG

From Brampton
I haven't seen him play, but those are great numbers for a freshman. Who knows, maybe he skyrockets up the draft charts this year and we take him.

Great time for Canadian basketball right now. Too bad Kabongo is in the mess he is in. Still I think we are well on our way to becoming competetive on the international stage.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:25 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
I haven't seen him play, but those are great numbers for a freshman. Who knows, maybe he skyrockets up the draft charts this year and we take him.

Great time for Canadian basketball right now. Too bad Kabongo is in the mess he is in. Still I think we are well on our way to becoming competetive on the international stage.
The only question I have is whether or not some of these guys can play the FIBA game. I like Tristan Thompson but I have no idea if he can excel in that type of game. Furthermore I wonder if the best players are too young at this time.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:56 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Why is our Basketball IQ in Question

We just don't seem to get it, all our talking heads of Basketball like Smith, Smith, Jones and Sid tell us how great the Raps will be and the talent level is off the charts. Then they have American guests come on and they ask what they think of the Raptors, espn, yahoo, Bob Ryan one of the most respected writers in the game all said the Raps were not going to do well at all. Then they are dismissed and the propoganda continues on this side of the border. I hate to say this but the Americans are always right and our so called experts are always Wrong. Is it that we just don't have the gut feeling for the NBA and our ignorance really shows through when it comes to evaluation of talent and what it takes to win in the NBA.

As usual the person really responsible for this mess is hardly ever mentioned, Larry Tannenbaum is a Basketball guy first and formost as was Peddie when he was here.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
We just don't seem to get it, all our talking heads of Basketball like Smith, Smith, Jones and Sid tell us how great the Raps will be and the talent level is off the charts. Then they have American guests come on and they ask what they think of the Raptors, espn, yahoo, Bob Ryan one of the most respected writers in the game all said the Raps were not going to do well at all. Then they are dismissed and the propoganda continues on this side of the border. I hate to say this but the Americans are always right and our so called experts are always Wrong. Is it that we just don't have the gut feeling for the NBA and our ignorance really shows through when it comes to evaluation of talent and what it takes to win in the NBA.

As usual the person really responsible for this mess is hardly ever mentioned, Larry Tannenbaum is a Basketball guy first and formost as was Peddie when he was here.
I would have to hear what the talking heads here were saying but I know at the beginning people were talking in the playoff hunt. Admitteldy I was not one of them, I liked Lowry, I don't care that much about DeRozan, you have soft guys like Bargnani, Calderon and trying to integrate rookies like Ross and JV. I don't see how that was a recipe for the playoffs. Michael Grange still has Colangelo's back though.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post

Well it's always like that in Canada Toronto especially. The American critics are at times to critical of the Raptors tho, as I do still think they can turn things around and fight for the last seed.

That being said Bargs is going to have to change his game up and start contributing a lot more then what he has been. DD is going to have to be more consistent from game to game you cant have the guy score 20 one night and 4 the next. The team is going to need to stay healthy and the team needs to play unselfish ball. The only problem with all of what I just said is the complete opposite has happened since the start of the season.

This teams major issue is that their soft, have no leadership and lose their competitive factor when they get down. Then they seem to all feel like they have to carry the load and try do everything solo. You need team work in the NBA and unfortunately this team has yet to figure that out.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Can Someone tell me who is the sure thing #1 overall pick in the 2013 draft of all the mock drafts i can see has Cody Zeller going 1st overall ??

Old
12-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
Can Someone tell me who is the sure thing #1 overall pick in the 2013 draft of all the mock drafts i can see has Cody Zeller going 1st overall ??
There's no clear cut #1, but it's usually Shabazz, Noel and Zeller that are being talked about for the top spot.

Old
12-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
There's no one taking the top spot by force, a lot of scouts are saying the 5th or 6th pick might be just as good as the top pick. No headliner like an Anthony Davis or Kyrie.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:16 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 375
Watching Anthony Bennett right now:

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/1586...s-20-unlv.html

Stream not working for some reason right now for me, but when I was watching the other team was having problems defending against him. nvm working again

-good at rebounding
-pretty much unstoppable near the hoop because of his size and strength
-pretty good mobility
-does a good job getting to the line and good at free throws
-12 pts 9 reb in 1st half
-lots of big dunks from him
-27 pts 14 reb, 3 blocks, 7-9 from the line

Last edited by JMcLeaf: 12-13-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
Well it's always like that in Canada Toronto especially. The American critics are at times to critical of the Raptors tho, as I do still think they can turn things around and fight for the last seed.

That being said Bargs is going to have to change his game up and start contributing a lot more then what he has been. DD is going to have to be more consistent from game to game you cant have the guy score 20 one night and 4 the next. The team is going to need to stay healthy and the team needs to play unselfish ball. The only problem with all of what I just said is the complete opposite has happened since the start of the season.

This teams major issue is that their soft, have no leadership and lose their competitive factor when they get down. Then they seem to all feel like they have to carry the load and try do everything solo. You need team work in the NBA and unfortunately this team has yet to figure that out.
That's being almost impossibly optimistic, they are so far down the hole that you're praying every team from 6-14 in the East collapse. Playoffs shouldn't be the focus, the focus should be to finish as high as possible to give OKC a pick outside the top 5.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
That's being almost impossibly optimistic, they are so far down the hole that you're praying every team from 6-14 in the East collapse. Playoffs shouldn't be the focus, the focus should be to finish as high as possible to give OKC a pick outside the top 5.
Agreed. This season is already a quarter over and we are already 15 games behind.500. I'd just be happy of the Raps can finish anywhere between 10-14 in this seasons draft and give the Thunder a low pick, in a supposedly weak draft.

Then tank hard next year for Wiggins.

Trade anyone not named JV, who can get you picks, prospects, salary dumps and free up salary cap and start a true rebuild. Lowry is gonna leave so trade him while he has value, DD is a nice player but not someone to build a core around and Ross is a nice blue chipper which you can get some assets for. The rest are useless and can go. Except for Ed. I'm really liking what he is bringing this year. But again he's expendable, if for the right price.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:48 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Agreed. This season is already a quarter over and we are already 15 games behind.500. I'd just be happy of the Raps can finish anywhere between 10-14 in this seasons draft and give the Thunder a low pick, in a supposedly weak draft.

Trade anyone not named JV, who can get you picks, prospects, salary dumps and free up salary cap and start a true rebuild. Lowry is gonna leave so trade him while he has value, DD is a nice player but not someone to build a core around and Ross is a nice blue chipper which you can get some assets for. The rest are useless and can go. Except for Ed. I'm really liking what he is bringing this year. But again he's expendable, if for the right price.

no way I trade JV, ross, DD, and lowry, davis
these are guys we should build around IMO

Last edited by mikebel111: 12-14-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old
12-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post

Not sure you just want to tank and try to get lucky in the draft lottery. How many teams finished dead last and ended up not picking 1st overall? Just last year, Charlotte far and away the worst record in the NBA end up picking 3rd. I don't think it is worth it.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:29 AM
ryno23

This notion of tanking a season is ridiculous. A couple of reasons why

1. How are you teaching the young core to win if you are trying to lose every game. They need to be taught to go out every game to compete and strive to win and learn how to win. You don't want to be teaching a losing culture to the core of Lowry, DD, Davis, Ross just not smart

2. How does one tank? I have played competitive sports all my life and it would be pretty obvious if they tried to tank it would look way worse than it already does.

3. Do you think the fans will attend games knowing the team is tanking? The Raptor brand will take a huge hit across multiple media brands, sponsors and other NBA players and execs. Players think Toronto is bad place to play already imagine they tried to tank.

4. Tanking does not guarantee you the top pick and sure Wiggins may look good now but so did Greg Oden, Sam Bowie and look how they turned out.

I get the fans think tanking can cure all the team problems but they create just as many as they could potentially fix.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:41 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Kevin Love looks like he's unhappy in Minny.

They love their Euro's.

Bargnani + for Love?

Go from 4 reb a game to 14 from your "big".

Old
12-14-2012, 10:47 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Kevin Love looks like he's unhappy in Minny.

They love their Euro's.

Bargnani + for Love?

Go from 4 reb a game to 14 from your "big".
If he's not happy in Minnesota, he won't be happy in Toronto. Spark the Love for Gasol rumours.

12-14-2012, 10:57 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
If he's not happy in Minnesota, he won't be happy in Toronto. Spark the Love for Gasol rumours.
Touche.

Yup, Love for Gasol makes some sense for both sides.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:00 PM
thatshype

Howard and Love on the same frontcourt? That's absolutely filthy.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:03 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
When Howard is shooting 48% from the FT line and all teams are doing is just hacking him, he's pretty useless. On top of the fact he's completely out of shape.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
the potential is there for it to be filthy but Howard is complete garbage. Not sure if he's out of shape or just not taking this seriously. But he hasn't played well at all since going to LA. I was watching the Knicks-Lakers game last night and the Lakers were done by 20 in the second quarter and Howard got fouled..he walks back smiling and having a good time. He's a joke. He doesn't care about the game, it's all about the fame and the LA spotlight for him. He got his wish and now LA probably has to deal with his sorry ass act for years. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts a reality show eventually.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:22 PM
thatshype

Uninspired or not, he's still 3rd in Rebounding. Since coming back, Kevin Love has 14.9 RPG (would be 1st in NBA if he qualified for league leaders). I don't really care that Dwight hasn't been playing well...if you have two of the top 5 rebounders in the league that are both putting up ~19 PPG....that's a filthy frontcourt.

Closed Thread