HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v.23: The Return of Kyle Lowry

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2012, 01:38 AM
  #926
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 18,008
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Missed the game tonight. Damn those Ross dunks were nasty. Raps win 5!! Chyea Chyea boooooyyyeeee. Too damn close though and looking at the boxscore looks like we all had terrible shooting night overall, especially DD. Also I hear JV broke his finger. Hope he's not gone long. Anyone got a prognosis on the recovery? Will he back in time after Xmas?
Yeah the shooting was pretty brutal tonight.

Regarding Val, Casey says there is no timetable and that he will see a hand specialist and then they will have a better idea about how long he is out.

JMcLeaf is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 10:29 AM
  #927
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED
 
Giuseppe Sallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Back to L.A
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,416
vCash: 500
I miss SWIRSKY!!! He would be doing damage with that voice. "Salami and cheese"

What happens to Bargs and Lowry? I wouldn't play them now, it would eff up the chemistry.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 10:32 AM
  #928
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,436
vCash: 500
Big 3 game road trip after Christmas. They go 2-1, I am getting excited. They go 1-2 or 0-3 and it's same old same old.

Suntouchable13 is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 11:04 AM
  #929
thatshype
Registered User
 
thatshype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Missed the game tonight. Damn those Ross dunks were nasty. Raps win 5!! Chyea Chyea boooooyyyeeee. Too damn close though and looking at the boxscore looks like we all had terrible shooting night overall, especially DD. Also I hear JV broke his finger. Hope he's not gone long. Anyone got a prognosis on the recovery? Will he back in time after Xmas?
A lot of Ross' points came in the second half too. Enough so that Casey had him out there in the final 6 minutes of the 4th...something we haven't seen a lot of before. It makes sense though...a lot of people complained when Ross wasn't given minutes early in the season, but now he's actually EARNING those minutes. It's much better for him to have to earn it, rather than have it handed to him.


As for Val, unfortunately I think it's going to be awhile before we see him. Broken finger isn't something you can play through, and it's going to take some time to heal fully. It sucks.

On the plus side, never before has Ed Davis had a better opportunity to shine. Davis, Amir, and Gray (shudder) are the only big-men we have on roster, and Casey isn't going to be able to roll Kleiza at PF against many teams like he did against the Magic.



EDIT: Initial reports said Kyrie Irving would be out 4-6 weeks with a broken finger....I imagine the same will be said for Val.

thatshype is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 11:06 AM
  #930
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED
 
Giuseppe Sallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Back to L.A
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,416
vCash: 500
T-ROSS takes flight to AIR CANADA. Ooooooh Weeeeee!

http://tmblr.co/Zy6mJyZvsW8H


Giuseppe Sallo is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 11:30 AM
  #931
Clark4Ever
Registered User
 
Clark4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
What happens to Bargs and Lowry? I wouldn't play them now, it would eff up the chemistry.
In the starting lineup, I agree, but Bargs and Lowry would theoretically give the Raps a pretty lethal bench, as long as they accept their roles for the good of the team. If not, they should both be trade bait.

Clark4Ever is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 01:01 AM
  #932
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,708
vCash: 500
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/87...nitely-conduct

Kings suspend DeMarcus Cousins indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team.

I really don't get this guy. All the talent in the world and he's going to piss it away because he can't grow up and stop acting like a jackass.

and no, before someone mentions it, the Raptors shouldn't trade for him. Not even to get out from under Bargs' contract. Headcases like Cousins are headcases no matter what coach you have trying to shape them up. I'm tired of teams taking on players because they're convinced that they, unlike everyone else, are going to magically make the guy's problems disappear. It rarely ever happens and usually causes more harm than good.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 75 GP, 23-38-14 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 01:35 AM
  #933
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 13,744
vCash: 500
D.C (Derrick Coleman) 2.0.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 01:02 PM
  #934
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 72,006
vCash: 500
Is terrence ross really that good? I remember last season we were talking about another first rounder last year from europe right?

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 01:12 PM
  #935
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 18,008
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Is terrence ross really that good? I remember last season we were talking about another first rounder last year from europe right?
He's had an up and down season so far which was to be expected since he's a rookie. In bad games, he's been pretty brutal, but when he's feeling it, he looks really good out there. He's playing with a lot of confidence right now, throwing down huge dunks, making his shots, and playing strong defense. Consistency will be the challenge for him.

And are you referring to Jonas Valanciunas?

JMcLeaf is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 01:29 PM
  #936
81
Nashty
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Queens Park
Posts: 8,227
vCash: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Is terrence ross really that good? I remember last season we were talking about another first rounder last year from europe right?



81 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 01:39 PM
  #937
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,807
vCash: 500
Ross's skillset is what is so exciting.
Insanely athletic with a pretty stroke and plays solid D for a rook.

weems is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 02:02 PM
  #938
Kb21
Registered User
 
Kb21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/87...nitely-conduct

Kings suspend DeMarcus Cousins indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team.

I really don't get this guy. All the talent in the world and he's going to piss it away because he can't grow up and stop acting like a jackass.

and no, before someone mentions it, the Raptors shouldn't trade for him. Not even to get out from under Bargs' contract. Headcases like Cousins are headcases no matter what coach you have trying to shape them up. I'm tired of teams taking on players because they're convinced that they, unlike everyone else, are going to magically make the guy's problems disappear. It rarely ever happens and usually causes more harm than good.
i truly believe if he goes to a team like the celts, spurs or bulls he thrive. he just needs some good coaching, teammates that will put him in check during practice/games and a team that has something to play for.

Kb21 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 02:18 PM
  #939
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 72,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
He's had an up and down season so far which was to be expected since he's a rookie. In bad games, he's been pretty brutal, but when he's feeling it, he looks really good out there. He's playing with a lot of confidence right now, throwing down huge dunks, making his shots, and playing strong defense. Consistency will be the challenge for him.

And are you referring to Jonas Valanciunas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post


Ah thanks JMc. I think Jonas is who I was talking about, lot of people here were very pumped up about him, how has he been for us so far?

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 02:45 PM
  #940
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 13,744
vCash: 500
(Valanciunas) is still adjusting to the game at this point. He recently broke(?) a finger in I believe his shooting hand so he'll be out for a little while, but while he was playing he has shown a nice aggression in his game, opposite to that of Bargnani if you will. One problem is he's very prone to committing fouls, and sometimes will be in foul trouble in just the first few minutes of play. Another and probably one of his bigger flaws is that he's still generally raw in terms of ball handling and finishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Ross's skillset is what is so exciting.
Insanely athletic with a pretty stroke and plays solid D for a rook.
Yeah he has the skills that we were kind of hoping DeMar can show. A nice stroke from the outside and an ability to play perimeter + man to man defence. Still needs to adjust to the way Casey runs zone defence, but then again so does everybody on the team.


Last edited by Eyedea: 12-23-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Eyedea is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 02:59 PM
  #941
81
Nashty
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Queens Park
Posts: 8,227
vCash: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Ah thanks JMc. I think Jonas is who I was talking about, lot of people here were very pumped up about him, how has he been for us so far?
Outstanding, well on his way to becoming a star in this league,. He's still raw, but he's developing really well playing against other teams top players. He also has very soft hands for a big man, which is just another plus.

81 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 03:03 PM
  #942
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
(Valanciunas) is still adjusting to the game at this point. He recently broke(?) a finger in I believe his shooting hand so he'll be out for a little while, but while he was playing he has shown a nice aggression in his game, opposite to that of Bargnani if you will. One problem is he's very prone to committing fouls, and sometimes will be in foul trouble in just the first few minutes of play. Another and probably one of his bigger flaws is that he's still generally raw in terms of ball handling and finishing.



Yeah he has the skills that we were kind of hoping DeMar can show. A nice strike from the outside and an ability to play perimeter + man to man defence. Still needs to adjust to the way Casey runs zone defence, but then again so does everybody on the team.
DeMar is a good leaper. When he gets around the basket he has good hop but hes really not close to the all around athlete or have the athleticism that Ross has.

weems is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 04:15 PM
  #943
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Outstanding, well on his way to becoming a star in this league,. He's still raw, but he's developing really well playing against other teams top players. He also has very soft hands for a big man, which is just another plus.
I don't know if I'd say he's well on his way to becoming a star. He turns over the ball a lot and gets abused defensively by other centers nightly (understandable since he's a rook), but he has a high motor and shows a good pick and roll game, and I think he can get a pick and pop game since he has all the makings of a good midrange game. He's ahead of where I thought he'd be at this point though. Fouls a lot though, puts Amir to shame in that category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
DeMar is a good leaper. When he gets around the basket he has good hop but hes really not close to the all around athlete or have the athleticism that Ross has.
Yeah Ross just seems more explosive and exciting than Demar. Demar is a poor in-game dunker, while Ross throws down windmills and ferocious putbacks. He's ahead of where Demar was in his rookie year.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 08:53 PM
  #944
MLSE
Registered User
 
MLSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Yeah Ross just seems more explosive and exciting than Demar. Demar is a poor in-game dunker, while Ross throws down windmills and ferocious putbacks. He's ahead of where Demar was in his rookie year.
I like Ross' game and think he can develop into something better but to be fair they are only a year and a half apart. Ross should be more polished coming in.

MLSE is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 02:56 PM
  #945
thatshype
Registered User
 
thatshype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Bored....useless comparison/projection post:

C/PF taken in the Top-5 of NBA draft since 2010 (including 2013 projections)
Derrick Favors
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Williams
Enes Kanter
Tristan Thompson
Jonas Valanciunas
Anthony Davis
Thomas Robinson
Cody Zeller
Nerlens Noel



Among these recent (and future) top-5 bigmen, where do you guys see Valanciunas ending up, in terms of hypothetical "ranking"? Factor in potential, and likelihood of actually REACHING said potential.

To me, all things considered, I see the ranking breaking down something like this. Of course, a lot of it depends on if Cousins will ever get his act together...

1. Davis
2. Cousins
3. Favors
4. Valanciunas
5. Zeller
6. Robinson
7. Noel
8. Williams
9. Thompson
10. Kanter



I might be ranking Valanciunas a bit high, and if Cousins continues his usual style then he should be much lower as well. How do you guys see the games of Valanciunas comparing to Zeller?

thatshype is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 04:07 PM
  #946
Lebanese Leaf
Registered User
 
Lebanese Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 6,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/87...nitely-conduct

Kings suspend DeMarcus Cousins indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team.

I really don't get this guy. All the talent in the world and he's going to piss it away because he can't grow up and stop acting like a jackass.

and no, before someone mentions it, the Raptors shouldn't trade for him. Not even to get out from under Bargs' contract. Headcases like Cousins are headcases no matter what coach you have trying to shape them up. I'm tired of teams taking on players because they're convinced that they, unlike everyone else, are going to magically make the guy's problems disappear. It rarely ever happens and usually causes more harm than good.
That's why girls love the bad boys, they're convinced THEY will be the one who can finally make them change.

Sports GMs are no different lol.

Lebanese Leaf is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 04:23 PM
  #947
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Bored....useless comparison/projection post:

C/PF taken in the Top-5 of NBA draft since 2010 (including 2013 projections)
Derrick Favors
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Williams
Enes Kanter
Tristan Thompson
Jonas Valanciunas
Anthony Davis
Thomas Robinson
Cody Zeller
Nerlens Noel



Among these recent (and future) top-5 bigmen, where do you guys see Valanciunas ending up, in terms of hypothetical "ranking"? Factor in potential, and likelihood of actually REACHING said potential.

To me, all things considered, I see the ranking breaking down something like this. Of course, a lot of it depends on if Cousins will ever get his act together...

1. Davis
2. Cousins
3. Favors
4. Valanciunas
5. Zeller
6. Robinson
7. Noel
8. Williams
9. Thompson
10. Kanter



I might be ranking Valanciunas a bit high, and if Cousins continues his usual style then he should be much lower as well. How do you guys see the games of Valanciunas comparing to Zeller?
Davis
Cousins
Noel
Favors
Val
Kanter
Robinson
Williams
Thompson

Haven't watched Zeller enough to rank him. AD and Cousins are just flat out more talented than everyone else on the list. Noel has elite athleticism and has the potential to be on many, many All NBA Defensive teams, just a question of how far along can his offensive game come. Favors and Val are pretty interchangeable, depends on if Utah decides to move our Jefferson and give Favors more playing time. Val lacks the pure athleticism the others have besides Cousins, but like Demarcus, has great touch and a good offensive skill set. I like Kanter's brute strength and physicality along with good touch.

Williams is a tweener, Robinson is a bit too short for my liking as a legit PF and Thompson is not anything special.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 04:36 PM
  #948
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Is terrence ross really that good? I remember last season we were talking about another first rounder last year from europe right?


I thought u were not a basketball fan, I always see you post on leafs and jays

I think this is first time I have seen you post about raptors

Terrence ross IMO is a future star
he is my favorite rap, he has been great and poor in his time so far, expected because he is a rooki
but it seems he is now just starting to put through consistent minutes. really love this kid
janas has been decent in his rookie, sad he broke a finger, too many fouls through, but big man develop slower so he is in good shape, good pick and roll game, good rebounder, good defender, has a very simple offensive game but it is really raw
i think we have good player in him, he will be a good player
as you like to say, let them take their sweet time!!!!!!!!!!!

mikebel111 is offline  
Old
12-25-2012, 07:50 AM
  #949
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,903
vCash: 500
Anyone think Cousins could be had out of Sacramento? He was suspended for detriment to the team.. Wonder what kind of package the Kings would be expecting..

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is online now  
Old
12-25-2012, 09:42 AM
  #950
thatshype
Registered User
 
thatshype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Anyone think Cousins could be had out of Sacramento? He was suspended for detriment to the team.. Wonder what kind of package the Kings would be expecting..
He'd be a bigger headcase in Toronto, and he's probably a big threat to pull a Carter and just NOT play for us after we get him. The problem with him is that nobody in Sacramento to keep his personality in check...and that problem would be magnified in Toronto.

The only fits for Cousins I can see is Boston, where Kevin Garnett can whoop him every time he acts up. Beyond that, there's no reason to suspect that he'll change no matter where he goes. In other words, Raps should NOT go for him.

thatshype is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.