HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Planning

Old
01-10-2013, 10:10 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
I know a lot of what he says is wrong on several levels, but when he's gone people will realize how much of an impact he did have on hockey fans. He gets a bad rap, why do you think hes lasted so long with CBC. He's an icon.
No argument there.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:19 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
No argument there.
He's old school baby, he tells it how it is. Sports fans crave people like this and unfortunately their a dieing breed. A lot of the time its not about what he says its "that he said it" sports in general have become too main stream one after another single file ********. Cherrys the last voice we really have for old school hockey, how its meant to be played.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:43 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
He's old school baby, he tells it how it is. Sports fans crave people like this and unfortunately their a dieing breed. A lot of the time its not about what he says its "that he said it" sports in general have become too main stream one after another single file ********. Cherrys the last voice we really have for old school hockey, how its meant to be played.
Thatís not all there is to him though. Heís borderline racist and misogynistic, he chastises players with the audacity to want to protect their eyes during a hockey game, he doesnít even try to pronounce foreign names, he promotes and defends fighting well beyond what it actually deserves, he acts like he knows better than todayís coaches and GMs (when his junior team was an unmitigated disaster) and he is perhaps the largest contributor to Canadian glorification of the military.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
Thatís not all there is to him though. Heís borderline racist and misogynistic, he chastises players with the audacity to want to protect their eyes during a hockey game, he doesnít even try to pronounce foreign names, he promotes and defends fighting well beyond what it actually deserves, he acts like he knows better than todayís coaches and GMs (when his junior team was an unmitigated disaster) and he is perhaps the largest contributor to Canadian glorification of the military.
Agreed

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:50 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
that’s not all there is to him though. He’s borderline racist and misogynistic, he chastises players with the audacity to want to protect their eyes during a hockey game, he doesn’t even try to pronounce foreign names, he promotes and defends fighting well beyond what it actually deserves, he acts like he knows better than today’s coaches and gms (when his junior team was an unmitigated disaster) and he is perhaps the largest contributor to canadian glorification of the military.
lol.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:57 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

I would never want to have a team in a division named after that prejudiced blowhard.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:08 PM
jkrx

Quote:
This is the typical "I need to defend my racist idol"-argument. He's old-school? Yes, I'm sure he was part of the "cool gang" that thought jews were trash and "negros" shouldn't play with the white kids. Just because he has good points a couple of times a year doesnt negate the fact that he is in fact a man who is stuck in the '50s with all the other blowhard conservatives who are afraid of change and what doesnt look and act exactly like them.

Old school hockey? You should have seen Cherry play. He was a rat, even worse than guys like Bobby Clarke and Ken Linseman. Thats why he had to have Zeidel to defend him at all time. The fact that he had to make up that story in his movie about Zeidel is a perfect example of how anti-semitic he really is.

If you think he is on TV because he has good opinions you are sadly mistaken. Controversy sells. Thats why he is on TV. Low ratings? Have that clown speak on why euros lack heart and why Canadians should shoot muslim children with scud-missles and you are back on top again.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Let's try to keep the politics out of this thread. Eventually someone will get pissed off and a mod will have to come in and nuke the entire conversation.

My take? I agree with those who don't want a Don Cherry division.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:16 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
This is the typical "I need to defend my racist idol"-argument. He's old-school? Yes, I'm sure he was part of the "cool gang" that thought jews were trash and "negros" shouldn't play with the white kids. Just because he has good points a couple of times a year doesnt negate the fact that he is in fact a man who is stuck in the '50s with all the other blowhard conservatives who are afraid of change and what doesnt look and act exactly like them.

Old school hockey? You should have seen Cherry play. He was a rat, even worse than guys like Bobby Clarke and Ken Linseman. Thats why he had to have Zeidel to defend him at all time. The fact that he had to make up that story in his movie about Zeidel is a perfect example of how anti-semitic he really is.

If you think he is on TV because he has good opinions you are sadly mistaken. Controversy sells. Thats why he is on TV. Low ratings? Have that clown speak on why euros lack heart and why Canadians should shoot muslim children with scud-missles and you are back on top again.

Bravo sir, typical ATD Knee-jerk response.

It's clear you didn't read the last several pages:

Quote:
I know a lot of what he says is wrong on several levels
So know we are to assume that Cherry hates "Negros" and "Jews"....please carry on.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Don Cherry and his opinions are for the casual, uninformed fan, which is the exact opposite of what everyone participating in the ATD is...that's the reason he shouldn't be a part of it.

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:25 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Don Cherry and his opinions are for the casual, uninformed fan, which is the exact opposite of what everyone participating in the ATD is...that's the reason he shouldn't be a part of it.

Get real. I realize most of you think of yourselves as better then the average fan, but a blanket statement like that is laughable.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Get real. I realize most of you think of yourselves as better then the average fan, but a blanket statement like that is laughable.
Ok, how about this...the controversial and at times ignorant statements of Cherry are meant to draw in the casual fan or to spark interest in the bored fan. I think it's fair to say that a great majority of ATD participants don't need that kind of lure to follow hockey closely.

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:37 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post

The fact that an older gentleman like yourself (who, just based on age, would tend to have conservative leanings) can call out Cherry this voraciously is pretty damning of Cherry.

But yeah, Iím zipping my lips on the political side. Not a good idea for this section.

And mark is right, he did say Cherry is wrong on so many levels, not that heís his idol.

Quote:
Good point. I see mark took exception to that, but your blanket statement applies to almost all of us. Iíd trust your guysí opinion over anyone I know in real life, for example, and most of the talking heads on TV too.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:48 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Ok, how about this...the controversial and at times ignorant statements of Cherry are meant to draw in the casual fan or to spark interest in the bored fan. I think it's fair to say that a great majority of ATD participants don't need that kind of lure to follow hockey closely.
Thats slighly better, in the end isn't he doing whats asked of him? He has what 5 minutes inbetween the 1st and 2nd period of a hockey game to entertain people by being himself. Just because it rubs some people the wrong way doesn't mean he's wrong and the people who watch him are "uninformed"

Quote:
The fact that an older gentleman like yourself (who, just based on age, would tend to have conservative leanings) can call out Cherry this voraciously is pretty damning of Cherry.
One persons opinion is Damning??...

Quote:
Good point. I see mark took exception to that, but your blanket statement applies to almost all of us. Iíd trust your guysí opinion over anyone I know in real life, for example, and most of the talking heads on TV too.
Opinion on what? Thats probably part of the problem, I know several people whose opinion i'd take over any poster on this site. People who are actually involved in the game for their living.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:55 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
One persons opinion is Damning??...
Yes.

Quote:
Opinion on what?
On day-to-day matters of hockey, not as much, but I still trust the people here more than people I know in real life.

On history matters and the art of comparing players from different eras, easily, slam dunk. This section kills anyone I have ever known in real life. Even you, mark.

Quote:
Thats probably part of the problem, I know several people whose opinion i'd take over any poster on this site. People who are actually involved in the game for their living.
I was referring to people I personally know. Do you personally know people who are involved in the game for their living? At what level?

In any case, I'm sure they have a great deal of credibility when it comes to talking about current hockey matters. But I don't know people like that so there was nothing wrong with my statement.

It doesn't mean a thing about their historical perspective, though. I'd trust you, velociraptor, jafar, jarek, god made me, and anyone else who's been in a couple ATDs over some college coach or whoever you're implying you know, when it comes to history.

Considering the recent magazine that came out that demonstrates that a lack of historical perspective is an epidemic that reaches all the way up to Scotty Bowman, I don't think there's anything controversial about what I'm saying.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:02 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

I'm trying to get my BenchBrawl username back but that's more complicated than I thought.

I think I'll be Jafar for a couple of months then I'll be able to switch back.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Please don't call me jafar , this is a temporary username
Now dont be bitter, Jafar

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:05 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Now dont be bitter, Jafar
I didn't think twice before changing it , thought I could change it at will , now I'm stuck with it

Old
01-10-2013, 01:09 PM
markrander87

Quote:

On day-to-day matters of hockey, not as much, but I still trust the people here more than people I know in real life.

On history matters and the art of comparing players from different eras, easily, slam dunk. This section kills anyone I have ever known in real life. Even you, mark.
I have never met you in real life, or was that a compliment from 70's!? and Cherry deals with current topics he rarely deals with the art of comparing players from different eras (How does this relate to Cherry again?)

Quote:
I was referring to people I personally know. Do you personally know people who are involved in the game for their living? At what level?
CIS/Jr

Quote:
I'm trying to get my BenchBrawl username back but that's more complicated than I thought.

I think I'll be Jafar for a couple of months then I'll be able to switch back.
Nah you're stuck, I think we all prefer Jafar. Just go with it.

Last edited by markrander87: 01-10-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old
01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

hehe, I remember when jarek was stuck with "Boy Wonder" for a year.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Jafar isn't that bad , he was a cool villain.Aladin was one of the best Disney movie.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Jafar isn't that bad , he was a cool villain.Aladin was one of the best Disney movie.
Aladdin was awesome, but you'll always be Reen to me.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:21 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
hehe, I remember when jarek was stuck with "Boy Wonder" for a year.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
I have never met you in real life, and Cherry deals with current topics he rarely deals with the art of comparing players from different eras
I know we've never met in real life. I was saying "this section (even you, mark) kills anyone I know in real life (for historical knowledge)"

Quote:
(How does this relate to Cherry again?)
Uh, it doesn't. This is an extension of you taking exception to what HT18 said.

Quote:
CIS/Jr
So does that make them more qualified to say whether Doug Gilmour is better than Norm Ullman on an all-time basis? I sure don't think so.

If you want to say they have credibility on whether Zetterberg or Toews is more skilled defensively, be my guest. That's what they're good for. Not historical perspective, in the vast majority of cases.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:25 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

People are just terrible at ranking historical players.

I don't bother talking about hockey history with anybody in real life.

2 times out of 3 the conversation ends with people emotionnally arguing that modern players are immensely better than older players.They will make outrageous claims like ''100 pts today is like 240 pts in the 70s'' and eventually I'll lose patience.No point in trying to argue Red Kelly over Al MacInnis in those conversations.