HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Owner-Player meeting only, no Bettman or Fehr (UPD: 12/4 in NYC)

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
The fact that it's taken four days to even organise a meeting is a joke.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
The fact that it's taken four days to even organise a meeting is a joke.

700 guys on two continents, some even playing in other leagues? Maybe the PA is doing their due diligence and doesn't rush to decisions to placate the media and pro-NHL critics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
You make it seem like the PA are deers in the headlights and can't do anything about it. If they want some control, they need to get off their ass and do something more then nothing.

Like sign the NHL's offer to take a massive reduction in share AND give up major contracting rights? With your kind of negotiating, they could save themselves millions of dollars and not bother paying their association fees. Then again, if they just end up capitulating again, they'll lose a hell of a lot of money, credibility and may need to bring Saskin back to just organize the NHL's papers for them.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:26 PM
HabsThanatos

To get back to the point at hand the only con to meeting (for both sides) is to inadvertently indicate willingness to concede something on the table. But given that no agreement would be coming out of this meeting it's worth the risk imo.

Even if the other side knows your 'weakness' it's an opportunity to move beyond the fixed positions.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I've used this analogy a few times

You work for a big company. Overall, your company makes money.
But you've got some departments struggling. Do you cut everyone's pay so all departments are profitable.
Most companies wouldn't make such a demand. They would decide whether or not it was worth financing the money-losing departments.

And if it was worth it for the long term growth of the company, they'd accept lower profits to invest.
Overall, your company makes money, but most of that money is made in a very small number of departments. The departments which struggle usually change over the years, so besides those small number of departments which are always in the black, the majority of departments are either struggling, have struggled at some point in the past, or are break-even style, which is a fine line away from struggling. Since a fair number of departments go through tough times at some point, the company has to look and see if there are systematic problems with the way the company is set up. That usually involves salary reviews or layoffs as the first step.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Cawz

Good - the meetings set for Tuesday

Old
12-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl

NHL expects these owners to be in meeting: Ron Burkle, Mark Chipman, Murray Edwards, Jeremy Jacobs, Larry Tanenbaum and Jeff Vinik.
What does everyone think of this group? Having up close experience with Mr. Vinik, I think he's a great choice. Very smart, incredible businessman, totally sincere and a great communicator who actually gives a damn.

Any word on if any GMs will attend and which players will be there?

Old
12-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
What does everyone think of this group? Having up close experience with Mr. Vinik, I think he's a great choice. Very smart, incredible businessman, totally sincere and a great communicator who actually gives a damn.

I want to see a boxing match between Chipman and Jacobs.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Steve

Bill Daly will be part of this too? With Steve Fehr?

If both Daly and Jacobs are here and neither of the Fehr's or player agents, this is not going anywhere.

EDIT - Steve Fehr will be there also.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:31 PM
HabsThanatos

So if Daly and Steve fehr are there how is this any different than other sessions where they didn't attend?

Old
12-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsThanatos View Post
So if Daly and Steve fehr are there how is this any different than other sessions where they didn't attend?
It's not a negotiating session. I suspect that Daly and Fehr will be there to ensure that things don't go from discussing to negotiating. Kind of like the attorney who lets his client talk until he starts to say the wrong thing, or instructs his client not to answer a question that shouldn't have been asked.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Steve

Quote:
Maybe the NHL declined to make this a "discussion" and insisted on a "negotiation" and inturn the PA felt they should have someone there? It was the PA's request that they be there.

Why can't 24/7 put this on TV for us?

Old
12-02-2012, 05:35 PM
HabsThanatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Overall, your company makes money, but most of that money is made in a very small number of departments. The departments which struggle usually change over the years, so besides those small number of departments which are always in the black, the majority of departments are either struggling, have struggled at some point in the past, or are break-even style, which is a fine line away from struggling. Since a fair number of departments go through tough times at some point, the company has to look and see if there are systematic problems with the way the company is set up. That usually involves salary reviews or layoffs as the first step.
What if those three departments could not produce those profits without the non profitable departments ?

It's not one company anyways. That's a huge part of the problem. If these were 30 companies more than half would have closed. If it was one, the disparity wouldn't matter as much. Many (most?) Companies have loss leaders they rely on.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Boltsfan2029

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Having "staff" member from each side present in meeting was NHLPA request. NHL opted for Daly, which means PA will counter with Steve Fehr.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:37 PM
HabsThanatos

Quote:
It's not a negotiating session. I suspect that Daly and Fehr will be there to ensure that things don't go from discussing to negotiating. Kind of like the attorney who lets his client talk until he starts to say the wrong thing, or instructs his client not to answer a question that shouldn't have been asked.
Maybe. Let's hope something can come of it.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Steve

Quote:
Maybe. Let's hope something can come of it.
Yeah, a least a fist fight that someone catches on their iPhone.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Tinalera

So, Jacobs apparently is going to be there-and he's not exactly Mr Popularity. I'm guessing we'll see hardcore players in the room as well.

I admit I'm surprised that the players agreed to it-but I fear with Jacobs, if he's as bad as being reported, the players will probably respond with hardline players.

Which means this probably is not going to go anywhere. I guess we'll see if it the "problem" is Bettman/Fehr.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:40 PM
KPower

This meeting is no different than the previous meetings.

Daly and fehr....lol

Just cancel the season already.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

So a negotiation between Daly and Steve Fehr with the most hardline owner and presumably hardline players (ie rich and on super long contracts) present is supposed to get the job done? Nice job on this one, NHL and PA. The PR spin coming out of this disaster ought to be fun.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Noob616

So Jacobs, Daly, and Steve Fehr are going to be there. I really don't understand what's supposed to be so different. I guess without Bettman the average height of those present goes up or something.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Freudian
Classless IMO

I don't expect the meeting to last long if Jacobs tries to take charge.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl

NHL expects these owners to be in meeting: Ron Burkle, Mark Chipman, Murray Edwards, Jeremy Jacobs, Larry Tanenbaum and Jeff Vinik.
So, in order: Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Calgary, Boston, Toronto, Tampa Bay. That's not a bad group, although I would have made the NHL leave Jacobs out of it if I were the PA.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I don't expect the meeting to last long if Jacobs tries to take charge.
I expect the meeting to be heavily censored by Jacobs and Daly. I don't think the owners have the right to speak freely, even there.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:

Need more newer and younger faces (relatively) like Chipman. Jacobs and co are from the 40s, they don't understand how to treat players and have an old school belief. The quicker they go the less labour problems we'll have.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:11 PM
objectiveposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
So, in order: Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Calgary, Boston, Toronto, Tampa Bay. That's not a bad group, although I would have made the NHL leave Jacobs out of it if I were the PA.
thats a very good group with lots of diversity... canadian/american... small market/big market... traditional/non-traditional.... old school owners/new owners...hardliners/moderates...

Old
12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
So a negotiation between Daly and Steve Fehr with the most hardline owner and presumably hardline players (ie rich and on super long contracts) present is supposed to get the job done? Nice job on this one, NHL and PA. The PR spin coming out of this disaster ought to be fun.
My understanding was that this is not a negotiating session. Has that changed?

Closed Thread