HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer anxious for chance at redemption

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-01-2012, 08:51 AM
  #26
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Reimer can take the first plane out of town for all I care.

He's the first name on my list for any trade involving even a goaltending prospect.

Nice kid and all but see ya. Have a nice life.

Grrrr.... lmao


Seriously, I'm not sold on him, but he is too nice to hate. Damn you Reimer you lovable *******. Still would trade him in a heartbeat for any decent prospect or vet who we can milk for 2-3 years.
So you've given up on him already. Wow...Leaf fans amaze me.

Reimer struggled after a concussion in only his second year and he's no good? He had a .921 save% (6th best in the NHL) as a rookie in a Ron Wilson Run N' gun, no defense system. (No other Leaf goalie reached .900.)

You don't give up on talented young players that fast.


Last edited by RogerRoeper*: 12-01-2012 at 10:13 AM.
RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:19 AM
  #27
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy8706 View Post
Well, considering his sv percentage was wat? .905 and his GAA was damn near 3 even, I'd say your claim is baseless at best, if not idiotic. I know numbers aren't everything but in Scrivens limited viewing last year at the NHL level he was just as good as Reimer and the Monster. He played decent hockey on a team known for bad team defense..
Far from horrible.... And by the way I don't know what you are talking about when you say "weaker teams"... This is the NHL we r talkin about here. Any team can beat any team on ANY given night.
Soooo right...I don't understand what people are watching..All young Leaf goalies have played similiarly well or poorly...which ever way you want to look at it. Even Monster..who I wasn't a fan of had some good streaks...like Reimer..like Scrivens...To say that one of these guys have been head and shoulders above the other is hyperbole.. I'm willing to see what Reimer brings when the boneheads decide to go back to playing hockey again...Like him or not its hard to deny the guy has a great attitude and works hard. What do the Leafs have to lose....Nothing cause they are going nowhere anyway. Maybe Reimer emerges as the next Jonathan Quick....maybe not..maybe the next Andrew Raycroft. Unless the GM can pull off a trade that will bring a bonafide starting goalie...whats the harm in seeing what the Leafs have in Reimer?

hockeyfanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:39 AM
  #28
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 View Post
Scrivens has done things in the AHL that Reimer never has. I see Scrivens as a better technical goalie.

But at the end of the day I don't know who will be better when its all said and done.
Scrivens is also 26 years old and still playing in the AHL, where as Reimer is 24 years old and already advanced beyond the AHL and would require NHL waivers to be demoted.

Reimer's last AHL stint ended in 2010-11 at age 23 when he played 15 AHL games that season before NHL recall.

This is a main reason whey Scrivens has done things in the AHL Reimer never has, because he wasn't good enough to play in the NHL, nor even be drafted by a NHL team previously.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:47 AM
  #29
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Our Goalie situation is beyond laughable. 10 Years of missing the playoffs and these are the Best Goalie prospects we could muster up?

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:59 AM
  #30
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Our Goalie situation is beyond laughable. 10 Years of missing the playoffs and these are the Best Goalie prospects we could muster up?
Doug MacLean on Sportsnet Hockey Central yesterday when reviewing Leafs goalie situation ranked the Leafs 15th in the Eastern conference and perhaps the weakest in the NHL overall.

He also ranked Leafs defense 15th in the east, and was wondering how "building from the goalie out" strategy was being deployed in Toronto.

While I like Reimer myself personally and hope he does well, going into a critical season with Reimer and Scrivens as Plan A with 2 goalies with less than 100 NHL combined experienced isn't something I would expect is a good idea for a team with playoff aspirations. If Nathan Mackinnon was the object of this season then I fully endorse the idea behind this plan.

Hey if "play the kids in net" is the strategy deployed, and fire the GM at seasons end for the failure of the results, and draft Nathan Mac is the outcome of this current season then you won't see me complaining as a Leafs fan.


Last edited by Mess: 12-01-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:16 PM
  #31
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Scrivens is also 26 years old and still playing in the AHL, where as Reimer is 24 years old and already advanced beyond the AHL and would require NHL waivers to be demoted.

Reimer's last AHL stint ended in 2010-11 at age 23 when he played 15 AHL games that season before NHL recall.

This is a main reason whey Scrivens has done things in the AHL Reimer never has, because he wasn't good enough to play in the NHL, nor even be drafted by a NHL team previously.

Mark Owuya Born Jul 18 1989
James Reimer Born Mar 15 1988
Jussi Rynnas Born May 22 1987
Ben Scrivens Born Sep 11 1986

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:21 PM
  #32
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Doug MacLean on Sportsnet Hockey Central yesterday when reviewing Leafs goalie situation ranked the Leafs 15th in the Eastern conference and perhaps the weakest in the NHL overall.

He also ranked Leafs defense 15th in the east, and was wondering how "building from the goalie out" strategy was being deployed in
Toronto.

While I like Reimer myself personally and hope he does well,
going into a critical season with Reimer and Scrivens as Plan A with 2 goalies with less than 100 NHL combined experienced isn't something I would expect is a good idea for a team with playoff aspirations. If Nathan Mackinnon was the object of this season then I fully endorse the idea behind this plan.

Hey if "play the kids in net" is the strategy deployed, and fire the GM at seasons end for the failure of the results, and draft Nathan Mac is the outcome of this current season then you won't see me complaining as a Leafs fan.
Doug Maclean...there's a guy who knows what it takes to build a winning team.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:54 PM
  #33
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Our Goalie situation is beyond laughable. 10 Years of missing the playoffs and these are the Best Goalie prospects we could muster up?
Burke has never been a good judge of goalies, he just picks a bunch out and hope one sticks, he does this without doing any research beforehand. This isn't just a problem he has in Toronto, it dates back to his days in Vancouver, Cloutier anyone?

The problem with goalies here is that for as long as I can remember we don't play defense in front of them, which exposes them and not just that the intense media pressure here is deadly for them. This is why if were going to play fast and loose style then we need an elite vet backing us, it's no conicidence that our best years were with Cujo and Belfour in net. This is why I feel we need to go out and land Luongo, but thats a story for another thread lol.

If guys like Riemer and company are going to have any sucess here we need to learn to implement a team defense first system.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:06 PM
  #34
Aplayaz2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,393
vCash: 500
i got to watch a lot of the games during the second half of 10-11
so you can say i pretty much seen him play most nights

you can do it Reimer

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:09 PM
  #35
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,230
vCash: 500
Reimer is more of a suspect than someone
I automatically have faith in. Too bad he's not found a gig overseas to get back in the rhythm of things. I am also sick of hearing him talk like a motivational speaker. Nice kid but I'd like to see him talk about working on his technical game and glove hand instead of all that Tony Robbins stuff.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:43 PM
  #36
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!
 
BayStBullies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: @BayStBullies
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
So you've given up on him already. Wow...Leaf fans amaze me.

Reimer struggled after a concussion in only his second year and he's no good? He had a .921 save% (6th best in the NHL) as a rookie in a Ron Wilson Run N' gun, no defense system. (No other Leaf goalie reached .900.)

You don't give up on talented young players that fast.
You're talking to the same group that has given up on Kadri over a year ago....

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:46 PM
  #37
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!
 
BayStBullies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: @BayStBullies
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Our Goalie situation is beyond laughable. 10 Years of missing the playoffs and these are the Best Goalie prospects we could muster up?
Learn to count; you have 10 fingers; simple math should not be impossible for you.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:53 PM
  #38
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Our Goalie situation is beyond laughable. 10 Years of missing the playoffs and these are the Best Goalie prospects we could muster up?
Does Rask count?

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:59 PM
  #39
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,492
vCash: 500
After 4 years on the job for Burke the inherited James Reimer is still our best goalie option in net.

Our hopes lie with him, so hopefully James can get the job done because Leaf Nations hope and fate rest on his shoulders.

Its a little unfair a position for Reimer to carry considering he has limited NHL experience himself and no veteran backup to mentor him, and his goalie coach Allaire left.

PS. Despite Burke's denials on the subject, I still believe that Luongo will be tending the nets for the Leafs when hockey starts up again,and Reimer designated to the backup role.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:27 PM
  #40
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
You're talking to the same group that has given up on Kadri over a year ago....
Actually I am a big Kadri supporter.

I just don't believe in Reimer.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:32 PM
  #41
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
After 4 years on the job for Burke the inherited James Reimer is still our best goalie option in net.

Our hopes lie with him, so hopefully James can get the job done because Leaf Nations hope and fate rest on his shoulders.

Its a little unfair a position for Reimer to carry considering he has limited NHL experience himself and no veteran backup to mentor him, and his goalie coach Allaire left.

PS. Despite Burke's denials on the subject, I still believe that Luongo will be tending the nets for the Leafs when hockey starts up again,and Reimer designated to the backup role.
I would have much rather gone after Backstrom, than Luongo, but I hear Harding is undergoing treatment for MS so I doubt Backstrom is available.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:55 PM
  #42
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Doug MacLean on Sportsnet Hockey Central yesterday when reviewing Leafs goalie situation ranked the Leafs 15th in the Eastern conference and perhaps the weakest in the NHL overall.

He also ranked Leafs defense 15th in the east, and was wondering how "building from the goalie out" strategy was being deployed in Toronto.

While I like Reimer myself personally and hope he does well, going into a critical season with Reimer and Scrivens as Plan A with 2 goalies with less than 100 NHL combined experienced isn't something I would expect is a good idea for a team with playoff aspirations. If Nathan Mackinnon was the object of this season then I fully endorse the idea behind this plan.

Hey if "play the kids in net" is the strategy deployed, and fire the GM at seasons end for the failure of the results, and draft Nathan Mac is the outcome of this current season then you won't see me complaining as a Leafs fan.
I haven't given up on Reimer but Scrivens as a backup is not a good idea. I really hope Burkie picks up a goalie if/when hockey resumes. Reimer needs support.

Spazmatic Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:03 PM
  #43
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
If people think Reimer/Scrivens is a terrible idea, won't you be happy they'll lead us to a top pick? I though that's what this oard wants.

Go get Luongo, you won't get a top pick again for years. And there still will be no contending teams with him in net.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:17 PM
  #44
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
If people think Reimer/Scrivens is a terrible idea, won't you be happy they'll lead us to a top pick? I though that's what this oard wants.

Go get Luongo, you won't get a top pick again for years. And there still will be no contending teams with him in net.
From the standpoint of trying to make the playoffs, its definitely a bad idea and last I heard Burke was trying to make the playoffs.

I think Reimer has an extra gear but he needs some support to find it.

Burke's philosophy could have changed I suppose. But I doubt it.

Spazmatic Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:20 PM
  #45
thecatch22
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Does Rask count?
lol!

Reimer got too passive as the year went on and his glove hand was atrocious. Both are correctable. I don't see star written on him but I think he can provide steady, decent goaltending.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:35 AM
  #46
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch22 View Post
lol!

Reimer got too passive as the year went on and his glove hand was atrocious. Both are correctable. I don't see star written on him but I think he can provide steady, decent goaltending.
Reimer never should have got back into the net as our #1.

Gus should have been given a vote of confidence by Wilson and kept away from Allaire.

Detroit is going to love him.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:20 AM
  #47
Kessley Snipes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Reimer never should have got back into the net as our #1.

Gus should have been given a vote of confidence by Wilson and kept away from Allaire.

Detroit is going to love him.
Your hockey knowledge is laughable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk9cHgz5Ng

Kessley Snipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:23 AM
  #48
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
Your hockey knowledge is laughable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk9cHgz5Ng
Not sure if you made the vid or not, but if you agree those were all weak goals, your hockey knowledge is the laughable thing. Including shootout goals, screens, tips by defensemen, Gus getting knocked around in the crease... . I guess whoever made it couldn't just include 2 goals in his flick, though. Or it may have looked something like this:




4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:10 AM
  #49
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy8706 View Post
Are you retarded? When did I say .905 was a good sv percentage?? Since you like quoting people quote where I said anything remotely close
When did I say you did? do you read what you post?

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:40 PM
  #50
NaiveLeafsFan
Registered User
 
NaiveLeafsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ajax, UofT
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,827
vCash: 500
People still defend Gus as a goalie? The guy is terrible. How do we as a fanbase have such high standards for our prospects but our goalies can be complete crap and people will still love them. Makes no sense.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.