HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

How would these US Jr. Teams Done?

Old
01-09-2013, 05:14 AM
doakacola*

vCash: 500
How would these US Jr. Teams Done?

1975-76 US Jr. Team

G - Baker - Skidmore

D - Morrow - Larson - Langway - Dunn - Roberts - O ' Callahan

F - Johnson - Miller - Debol - Wells - Rowe - Fidler - Mullen - Gorence - Verchota -
Cox - Harrington - Christoff

1976-77 USA Jr. Team

G - Baker - Craig

D - Langway - Dunn - Roberts - O ' Callahan - Hughes - Korn

F - Johnson - Pavelich - Wells - Mullen - McClanahan - Christoff - Harrington - Strobel
Nilan - Cox - Gorence - Silk

1984-85

G - Barrasso - Richter

D - Iafrate - Hatcher - Chambers - Joyce - Jay - Mack

F - Lafontaine - Presley - Jones - Turcotte - Lawton - Jensen - Stevens - Leach - Olczyk
Ranheim - Hodge - Noonan

Last edited by doakacola*: 01-09-2013 at 05:27 AM.
doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:56 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

the 1984-85 USA WJC team could have been a very impressive bunch...lets assume all these kids were not in the NHL at the time of this as my roster would be pretty darn solid... I have a pretty young team as some of the 66 and 67 born players were just ahead of the curve at that time.

Using the current roster format that USA just did:

Goalies

Tom Barrasso - 65
Mike Richter - 66
Pat Jablonski - 67

H.M - John Blue -66

Defense

David Quinn - 66
Al Iafrate - 66
Kevin Hatcher - 66
Jeff Norton -65
Eric Weinrich - 66
Shawn Chambers - 66
Todd Richards - 66

H.M - Craig Wolanin -67, Paul Stanton -67, Bob Beers -67, Lance Pitlick -67, Mike Vellucci -67, Chris Luongo -67, Chris Biotti -67, David Williams -67

Forwards

Craig Janney - 67 - C
Kevin Stevens - 65 -LW
Pat Lafontaine - 65 - C
Tom Chorske - 66 - LW
Scott Young - 67 - RW
Jimmy Carson - 68 - C
Paul Ranheim - 66 - LW
Wayne Presley - 65 - RW
Eddie Olczyk - 66 - C
Brian Noonan - 65 - RW
Brian Lawton - 65 - LW
Alfie Turcotte - 65 - C

H.M. - Steve Leach -66 -RW, Jeff Rohlicek - 66 -LW, Bob Corkum - 67 -C, Jon Morris -66 -RW, Paul Broten - 65 - RW, David Jensen - 65 - C, Lane MacDonald -66 -LW, Ken Hodge - 66 - RW....forgot Todd Krygier was a 65 birth year..though he went to Connecticut as a d-2 school, he would still be in the running

Lines

Kevin Stevens - Pat Lafontaine - Scott Young
Brian Lawton - Craig Janney - Brian Noonan
Tom Chorske - Jimmy Carson - Wayne Presely
Paul Ranheim - Eddie Olczyk - Kevin Miller
Alfie Turcotte

Al Iafrate - Kevin Hatcher
Jeff Norton - David Quinn
Eric Weinrich - Shawn Chambers
Todd Richards

Man are those centers super skilled!! And Eddie O as a 4th line center!! hahaha, thankfully this was at the time where nobody played defense..

I think Jensen should make this team, but I went with some young guns and liked some other 65's better...it happens!

Jimmy Carson was a beast back then. Hands down one of the most talented junior forwards ever developed for the US..he makes this team as he was already destroying the QMJHL at the time.

Other very skilled 68's that were in the running - Darren Turcotte, Stan Drulia, and Brian Leetch...amongst others..

A shout out to Tommy Glavine, who as a 66 could have been a part of this group if he didnt pick up a baseball!

And finally I want to mention a young man named George Pelawa. He might not have made this team as he was I believe a junior in highschool, but this kid was one of the more impressive all around prospects the US ever had. His size and skill was unmatched, and how he didnt go higher than #16 to Calgary is beyond me. He was a man among boys who could of had an Eric Lindros like career. Saddly he was killed in a terrible car accident after his draft so we never got to see what he could do at the NHL level. I believe the band Red Rider (Tom Cochrane who sung Life is a Highway) made a song in his honor called Big Leagues...very touching song and sad stuff...

also not sure what Don Sweeney's deal was as he played in the US during highschool and college...not sure if he was a dual citizen, but he never represented either country as far as I can tell so I would assume he was only a Canadian citizen as the US surely would have picked him at some point.

but that would be by 84-85 USA WJC team. kids were playing at various levels at that time and very hard to determine who could have been ready for a tourney like that, but going mainly on birth year this is my team...

Last edited by AmericanDream: 01-11-2013 at 11:03 AM.
AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Statsy

The mention of George Pelawa struck me, so I did some research. There was an interesting story done on it a couple of years ago.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=119677

As for Tom Cochrane, it turns out Big League was actually written for a different player that was killed too young.

http://www.tomcochrane.info/songstory/bigleague.php

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:44 PM
doakacola*

Don Sweeney though he played at St. Paul 's is strictly Canadian.

Tom Glavine was the MVP of the 1984 Massachusetts- Minnesota Super Series that had Broten and Ranhiem on Minnesota. Leach, Young & Hodge were on Massachusetts.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
The mention of George Pelawa struck me, so I did some research. There was an interesting story done on it a couple of years ago.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=119677

As for Tom Cochrane, it turns out Big League was actually written for a different player that was killed too young.

http://www.tomcochrane.info/songstory/bigleague.php
havent heard him speak of any other name that it could have been besides George...so until I hear otherwise and in my mind, he made this song for George!!

http://bestplayerintheworld.com/2011...ne-big-league/

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:13 AM
doakacola*

My estimate is at least 4 players and possibly five would make a combined US / Canada squad on the
76-77 team.

Langway & Roberts on D, along with Mark Johnson and Joe Mullen are locks. I think Mark Pavelich
would also crack a roster with 13 forwards. Averaged almost a point per game in his brief NHL career.

The 1985 combined team would have Barrasso, Hatcher, Iafrate, Lafontaine & Stevens on a combined team. Olczyk would push for a spot also.