HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Gamecenter question

Old
09-30-2013, 09:04 PM
kentuckyrebel

vCash: 500
NHL Gamecenter question

Me and a friend were thinking about splitting a gamecenter subscription? Will it let us both watch games at the same time or no?

kentuckyrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 09:06 PM
RinaldoZac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrebel View Post
Me and a friend were thinking about splitting a gamecenter subscription? Will it let us both watch games at the same time or no?
Yes it will, I had a game going on my iPad and a game going on my computer at the same time many times last season.

RinaldoZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJesus View Post
Yes it will, I had a game going on my iPad and a game going on my computer at the same time many times last season.
I would look into this to make sure. Because you were on the same network it might have allowed it; when my friend and I looked into it last year we found it wouldn't let you log on at two different locations at once.

Edit: I think it makes a difference how both people are logging on, actually. When I tried to log in on my PC and my PS3 at the same time it never let me.

09-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrebel View Post
no it won't. I just signed up for hockeystreams after a year of GCL and i have been blown away by how much better it is compared to GCl. As someone who has tried both i highly recommend hockeystreams over GCL.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
no it won't. I just signed up for hockeystreams after a year of GCL and i have been blown away by how much better it is compared to GCl. As someone who has tried both i highly recommend hockeystreams over GCL.
^^^agreed^^^^

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 11:05 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

waste of money

go with hockeystreams instead

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 07:19 AM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
What do you like better about Hockey Streams? Just wondering because I have Gamecenter and I haven't had problems.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 07:29 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
What do you like better about Hockey Streams? Just wondering because I have Gamecenter and I haven't had problems.
I currently have both (GCL for the regular season). I prefer GCL.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Jack de la Hoya

As some of you know, I've recently relocated out of the Philadelphia / metro D.C. are (where I've been, with a few interruptions, for the better part of thirty years) and to the warm confines of central Texas.

I'm trying to figure out what to do for the season--so I'm interested in further thoughts. My main concern with either GCL or hockeystreams is my awful internet--if I'm lucky, I get 15 mps d/l and 1.5 mps upload--but most nights its closer to 5 mps. This is a fraction of what I'm accustomed to.

I'm not opposed to paying for a subscription, but I don't want to do so only to find that my internet can't sustain a decent quality image. If that's the case, I'll just hunt for free streams and rely on NBC sports (I don't get the NHL Network either, unfortunately).

Anyway, I'd welcome any thoughts / advice--expert or otherwise.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 10-01-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
^^^agreed^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
waste of money

go with hockeystreams instead
I don't know whether GCL is good or not, but I'd also heartily recommend hockeystreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
As some of you know, I've recently relocated out of the Philadelphia / metro D.C. are (where I've been, with a few interruptions, for the better part of thirty years) and to the warm confines of central Texas.

I'm trying to figure out what to do for the season--so I'm interested in further thoughts. My main concern with either GCL or hockeystreams is my awful internet--if I'm lucky, I get 15 mps d/l and 1.5 mps upload. This is a fraction of what I'm accustomed to.

I'm not opposed to paying for a subscription, but I don't want to do so only to find that my internet can't sustain a decent quality image. If that's the case, I'll just hunt for free streams and rely on NBC sports (I don't get the NHL Network either, unfortunately).

I think both sites allow you to watch a test video. Hockeystreams has two different quality options, so if you can't go with the higher one, just go with 800 kbps. And they also have on-demand streams right after the game is done (well, give them 15 mins to half an hour), where the video isn't buffered, but rather progressively "built up" or cached (don't know the correct lingo here).

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 11:25 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I currently have both (GCL for the regular season). I prefer GCL.
Only thing that sucks about GCL is the NBC/NHLN games are blacked out. If you have cable it's not a huge problem. I would like to watch some junior games every now and then though.

Last edited by PhilaFlyers: 10-01-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old
10-01-2013, 11:36 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

I had a question....how is hockeystreams legal? do they have deals with each league or something?

Old
10-01-2013, 11:40 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
I had a question....how is hockeystreams legal? do they have deals with each league or something?
Definitely not legal. They do it out of the Netherlands so I guess there is nothing the leagues can do about it.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:49 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
It's not. You are stealing from the NHL/NBC.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Gameceter Live's FAQs suggest that as long as you have at least 2.0 mps download, you should be able to enjoy the high quality picture.

I'm wondering whether anyone else with awful internet has experience? I'm reluctant to drop that kind of money if I can't get anything better than the pirated streams, since radio is usually an option and the Flyers are on NBCSN a fair amount.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:52 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
It's not. You are stealing from the NHL/NBC.
then how has the site not been shut down?

Old
10-02-2013, 12:03 AM
MountainHawk

Quote:
then how has the site not been shut down?
Foreign governments don't care as much.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:05 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Foreign governments don't care as much.
ohhh, so they operate out of Europe?

Old
10-02-2013, 12:20 AM
MountainHawk

Quote:
ohhh, so they operate out of Europe?
Probably Gibraltar, Holland, or one of the tiny micro states.

Edit: Seem to be in Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

Last edited by MountainHawk: 10-02-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old
10-02-2013, 07:29 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I'm trying to figure out what to do for the season--so I'm interested in further thoughts. My main concern with either GCL or hockeystreams is my awful internet--if I'm lucky, I get 15 mps d/l and 1.5 mps upload--but most nights its closer to 5 mps. This is a fraction of what I'm accustomed to.

I'm down in Central Texas as well - College Station. I have Direct TV, but previously had DISH. I just get the Center Ice package every year.

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I'm down in Central Texas as well - College Station. I have Direct TV, but previously had DISH. I just get the Center Ice package every year.
Yeah--I probably should have gone with Direct TV, but I was scared off by the two-year contract, as I'll likely only be at this address for a year.

Suddenlink, the nation's worst cable company, doesn't offer Center Ice or NHL network as options. (Understandable, perhaps, given the limited popularity of the sport here--but they also don't offer the Longhorn Network in northern suburbs of Austin. Seriously, I never thought that I would miss Comcast, but this is awful).

Old
10-02-2013, 12:34 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Center Ice on Directv is great except when some of the Flyers games are aired in SD, WTF? I paid for HD hockey games. Prime example of that tonight's game against the Leafs.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Hiesenberg

I'm getting DirecTV installed tomorrow, I'm not sure what plan will be from there.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:58 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Yeah--I probably should have gone with Direct TV, but I was scared off by the two-year contract, as I'll likely only be at this address for a year.

Suddenlink, the nation's worst cable company, doesn't offer Center Ice or NHL network as options. (Understandable, perhaps, given the limited popularity of the sport here--but they also don't offer the Longhorn Network in northern suburbs of Austin. Seriously, I never thought that I would miss Comcast, but this is awful).
Yeah, next time just go with Direct TV and get Center Ice, especially if you have a nice TV. It just seems to be so much more convenient. As far as I know, the prices for the streaming sites aren't that much cheaper than CI (I paid 169.99 broken up over four bills with Verizon Fios). Someone else can probably provide more insight on that though.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Yeah, next time just go with Direct TV and get Center Ice, especially if you have a nice TV. It just seems to be so much more convenient. As far as I know, the prices for the streaming sites aren't that much cheaper than CI (I paid 169.99 broken up over four bills with Verizon Fios). Someone else can probably provide more insight on that though.
DirecTV still has a two-year minimum contract for high-end service though, right?

I may only be here for a year--that's why I wasn't willing to risk the early cancellation fee.