2012 CBA/Lockout talk, Part the Fifth

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 08:32 AM
DOGSTARMAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
Steve Burton has a masters degree from Northwestern University, works with and is a board member of several charities, and is one of the nicest, most down to Earth media personalities you will ever meet.

How do I know that? I got paired up with him while playing a Sunday round of golf at Sandy Burr in Wayland like 4 years ago when I had just graduated college. He is an incredibly well spoken, humble, and gracious guy. He even offered to buy beers at the turn. He also took down my number and called me like a month later asking if I could fill in as an emergency replacement at a charity golf event. Unfortunately I had to work that day, but I wanted to drop in here and give my $0.02 on a guy who a lot of people seemingly know absolutely nothing about.
But Reidy, the Internet says he's a dummy...

Old
12-05-2012, 08:37 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
But Reidy, the Internet says he's a dummy...
Well I've met him, in fact worked with him, and watched him on TV for what, well over a decade? Almost two?

He is absolutely a put-together, very nice person, at least in my experience. I second all of that. I also would bet against him solving a puzzle from the back of a cereal box.

And honestly, what's the big deal? The world has dummies in every corner, so what if he's a dummy? It's not that big of a criticism. He's a nice person, he's very successful, and he's very well-liked. A lot of people would trade their intellect for those positives.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:52 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
You really need to get some help.
For defending myself against nonsense?

Nah, I can handle it without help.

I think Eddie Olczyk is a total moron too. But he has the premier hockey analysis job in America. Clearly that means he is awesome at his job.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Pretty much all the TSN guys have a sore butt courtesy of Steve Burton, it's just great!
I don't know about all of those guys, but Dreger and McKenzie were both reasonable and gracious about Burton's report, saying they could not corroborate but would not dismiss it.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:58 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Well I've met him, in fact worked with him, and watched him on TV for what, well over a decade? Almost two?

He is absolutely a put-together, very nice person, at least in my experience. I second all of that. I also would bet against him solving a puzzle from the back of a cereal box.

And honestly, what's the big deal? The world has dummies in every corner, so what if he's a dummy? It's not that big of a criticism. He's a nice person, he's very successful, and he's very well-liked. A lot of people would trade their intellect for those positives.
I just find it disheartening how quickly people jump all over someone like that. It's just weird to me that, on this board, if you engage in a negative exchange with someone, moderators start editing posts, banning people, locking threads, lecturing, etc. But here we have pages of negative statements about this guy, for what? For reporting a story, which may prove to be true or false, that he felt was worth putting out there? Which is it, is this place "anything goes" or not? I'm fine either way, just tell me which it is.

I could see dismantling his report if you want to take on the implausibility of it or whatever. Some have done that and that's fine, no problem at all with that. This story is a "hail mary" and may prove to be bs - but no one knows yet, that's the fun of it. But instead it has been largely "but Burton is a moron." It all seems to be covered under the "why a dog licks its balls" logic. Why not just default to being mean... because you can.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:59 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Or, you know, I've followed his career for 15 years and think his opinions are dumb. Like, really, really stupid.

Same for Butch Stearns. Stearns is actually dumber than Burton.

I actually hope Burton's report is right, I hope he is well-connected. Has nothing to do with his "insider-ness."
Mike as I've mentioned in this thread, I've met and worked with the guy, and he's dumb. It's not an observation that has anything to do with race. He simply stands out as dumb just on TV! In fact, I defy anyone to watch him on a nightly basis and not see him stumble over words and give that vacant look on all too many occasions. The look of a guy who's been given a teleprompter and isn't all that pumped about straying from it. And God help the guy when he's on the more relaxed programs, or interviewing players. He simply is not a smart guy, period.

But again, so what? This isn't third grade so it's not like kids are going to laugh at him. He's an accomplished guy. He's parlayed his looks, his relationships, his personality, etc. into a very nice gig. Hats off to him, and frankly, he's very likeable. So what if he's dumb?

Old
12-05-2012, 09:01 AM
EverettMike

Quote:

he can read the news like a champ. He is very good at that job. But if you have ever listened to him actually analyze sports he is awful. The only one worse is Butch Stearns.

Quote:
I just find it disheartening how quickly people jump all over someone like that. It's just weird to me that, on this board, if you engage in a negative exchange with someone, moderators start editing posts, banning people, locking threads, lecturing, etc. But here we have pages of negative statements about this guy, for what? For reporting a story, which may prove to be true or false, that he felt was worth putting out there? Which is it, is this place "anything goes" or not? I'm fine either way, just tell me which it is.

I could see dismantling his report if you want to take on the implausibility of it or whatever. But instead it has been largely "but Burton is a moron." It all seems to be covered under the "why a dog licks its balls" logic. Why not just default to being mean... because you can.
He might be 100% right. Awesome, and what a great scoop. I HOPE HE IS. I'd like all the people not an owner or player losing money because of this to start making money. I am 100% rooting for Burton to be right.

But where is this board when I rip on Nick Cafardo? Or John Meterperel? Why is it that having an opinion on a guy is suddenly so touchy? He is a sports media personality in Boston.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:03 AM
bp13

Quote:

I could see dismantling his report if you want to take on the implausibility of it or whatever. Some have done that and that's fine, no problem at all with that. This story is a "hail mary" and may prove to be bs - but no one knows yet, that's the fun of it. But instead it has been largely "but Burton is a moron." It all seems to be covered under the "why a dog licks its balls" logic. Why not just default to being mean... because you can.
Alright fair enough. His intellect matters not here. You're absolutely right. I apologize.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:04 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Mike as I've mentioned in this thread, I've met and worked with the guy, and he's dumb. It's not an observation that has anything to do with race. He simply stands out as dumb just on TV! In fact, I defy anyone to watch him on a nightly basis and not see him stumble over words and give that vacant look on all too many occasions. The look of a guy who's been given a teleprompter and isn't all that pumped about straying from it. And God help the guy when he's on the more relaxed programs, or interviewing players. He simply is not a smart guy, period.

But again, so what? This isn't third grade so it's not like kids are going to laugh at him. He's an accomplished guy. He's parlayed his looks, his relationships, his personality, etc. into a very nice gig. Hats off to him, and frankly, he's very likeable. So what if he's dumb?
Thanks. I don't get it. I guess I have no credibility around here to the point I can just be brushed as a racist or as having an agenda.

Cool. I'll be fine.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:05 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Quote:

Define "dumb?"

As I stated earlier, he was smart enough to get a bachelor's and master's degree from Northwestern, not exactly a stand-in for Bunker Hill CC.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:05 AM
DOGSTARMAN

So then I don't understand what people are saying. His story may be true, it may be false, some hope it's true, some believe it's total BS. All fair enough. And apparently he's a "moron," which seems to have nothing to do with his reporting of this story. In which case it's entirely gratuitous and still leaves me wondering why it is going on here? What is the purpose of it? "Yeah, he's a moron." Is that how you talk to/about people in real life? But Black Eye, this isn't real life, yeah I know that, it still sucks.

Anyway, I'm done commenting on it. I've said what I had to say and nobody needs to read more of the same. Carry on as you see fit.

Let's see this lockout end soon now and get back to hockey.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:07 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Mike, just to be clear, I did not suggest and don't believe that anybody here is thinking about race with the Burton comments. To accuse someone of racism is pretty weak IMO unless there's really something to point to. Just want it to be clear that's not where I'm coming from, at least.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:09 AM
bp13

Quote:
Define "dumb?"

As I stated earlier, he was smart enough to get a bachelor's and master's degree from Northwestern, not exactly a stand-in for Bunker Hill CC.
All due respect but as a guy with both degrees myself, I can attest to the fact that plenty of folks have both degrees but aren't all that bright.

As BlackEye pointed out, discussion of his intellect is probably immaterial and I have to agree. I giggle whenever I see the guy on TV but that really isn't germane to his scoop or this thread. So I'm not going to bother to provide my definition of dumb or rip the guy online anymore. I was out of line piling on the dumb jokes so that's that.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:10 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Lastly, lol, I won't be here gloating if the lockout does end and Burton turns out to be right. I would tip my hat to him but the business about him having the scoop has taken on a life of its own. I just want hockey soon!

Old
12-05-2012, 09:11 AM
EverettMike

And let me defend why sharing an opinion that the man is stupid is relevant here.

Where is he realistically getting that information? I doubt very highly he is making it up. I genuinely believe he got the news from someone he trusts.

So is it totally crazy to think it came from a Jacobs? Charlie or Jeremy? Well, is it possible they had an agenda beyond just leaking news? Like trying to protect themselves from bad press, which Jacobs has been getting a ton of the last two weeks? Or to make it seem like Jeremy wasn't the hard-liner he is painted as and he wants credit when this actually ends, if it ends soon?

So if you wanted to get that out you might go to the guy you think would report it without wondering what the agenda behind sharing the information is.

Now, that is just one scenario, yeah, but when a guy that has no real credibility as getting top-notch information from (potentially) a place where they are suddenly worried about controlling the narrative, it makes me wonder.

Haggs reported a story about Jacobs yelling at someone. Haggs has never really had his reporting questioned. Not that I can remember. His columns and agenda, yes, absolutely. But his reporting? His getting facts right? Not that I can remember.

And his whole job depends on it. 100% depends on it.

Burton's doesn't.

But Haggs was raked over the coals in this thread. And some people get personal about it.

Where was the outrage?

If I were Jacobs and needed to get a story out there I'd pick the guys most likely to take it and run with it without much thought.

Okay, I'm done.

Me: not a racist, not concerned with protecting "insiders" I don't know, thinks Steve Burton is a nice guy but really dumb, and hopes Steve Burton is right and can't wait to give him all the credit in the world.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:

Because he can't make a fist?

Old
12-05-2012, 09:12 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Mike, just to be clear, I did not suggest and don't believe that anybody here is thinking about race with the Burton comments. Claiming that is pretty weak IMO. Just want it to be clear that's not where I'm coming from, at least.
DKH brought race into this.

Said he thought these comments were racially motivated.

Very insulting.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:

Well said.

Our society tends to look more positively on a rich, arrogant jackass with slightly above average intellect than they do on a humble middle class guy who always has an encouraging word. It's the day we live in.

I have no problem with making jokes about the guy's IQ. But given the recent events, I wouldn't necessarily think belittling him would be the first thing that comes to mind. He deserves all the credit for having the cahoonas to break the story first. I want to see the "insiders" eat crow for doubting him.

12-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Define "dumb?"

First of all, I don't know the guy from Adam. All I can judge him by is his TV appearances, and from what I've seen, he doesn't come across as intelligent.

For example, he had a one on one interview with Tyler Seguin in Seguin's rookie year that was jaw-droppingly bad. I mean, you could see Seguin struggling to be polite and not flat out ask him what the hell he was talking about. Interviews at the Super Bowl media day with guys dressed as Robin came off better.

This is not to say Burton is a bad person. I'm sure he's very nice. But from what I've seen, his preparation and knowledge of his subject is pretty lacking.

This also is NOT to dismiss his report. He's been working in Boston for a long time, and of course he has contacts. Someone close to JJ could certainly tell him something and not tell McKenzie or Dreger. As noted previously, that has nothing to do with how intelligent someone is or isn't.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
DKH brought race into this.

Said he thought these comments were racially motivated.

Very insulting.
Got to admit, I was taken somewhat aback when DKH posted that.

I didn't see anything remotely racist in what anyone had to say about Steve Burton in this thread.

Rude and insulting? Yes, but not racist.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:25 AM
EverettMike

If someone you know tells you and a friend at lunch, "I can't tell you who, but someone I know just gave me an amazing stock tip and you need to invest your money in it," would you evaluate that news by evaluating how intelligent the person giving it to you is?

If you thought they were stupid would you mention it to your friend?

Okay, you wouldn't post it on an internet forum because that is mean. Okay, fair enough. But we aren't talking about a stranger, we are talking about a public figure giving a public report.

I murder Nick Cafardo in the Red Sox thread. I have taken the time to do it. No one has ever batted an eye. No one has ever called me mean or said he shouldn't be made fun of.

What's the difference here? Because we like what Burton is saying better?

Old
12-05-2012, 09:27 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Everybody lighten up, this should be a good feeling happy go lucky day .... No ?

Old
12-05-2012, 09:27 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
First of all, I don't know the guy from Adam. All I can judge him by is his TV appearances, and from what I've seen, he doesn't come across as intelligent.

For example, he had a one on one interview with Tyler Seguin in Seguin's rookie year that was jaw-droppingly bad. I mean, you could see Seguin struggling to be polite and not flat out ask him what the hell he was talking about. Interviews at the Super Bowl media day with guys dressed as Robin came off better.

This is not to say Burton is a bad person. I'm sure he's very nice. But from what I've seen, his preparation and knowledge of his subject is pretty lacking.

This also is NOT to dismiss his report. He's been working in Boston for a long time, and of course he has contacts. Someone close to JJ could certainly tell him something and not tell McKenzie or Dreger. As noted previously, that has nothing to do with how intelligent someone is or isn't.
I guess I don't correlate "dumb" with "unprepared" or "being bad at one's job." It's pretty hard to make a case that the guy is "dumb," objectively-speaking, which is my point. I've worked alongside many very smart people who were abysmal at their job. Didn't make them dumb.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:29 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Quote:
If someone you know tells you and a friend at lunch, "I can't tell you who, but someone I know just gave me an amazing stock tip and you need to invest your money in it," would you evaluate that news by evaluating how intelligent the person giving it to you is?

If you thought they were stupid would you mention it to your friend?

Okay, you wouldn't post it on an internet forum because that is mean. Okay, fair enough. But we aren't talking about a stranger, we are talking about a public figure giving a public report.

I murder Nick Cafardo in the Red Sox thread. I have taken the time to do it. No one has ever batted an eye. No one has ever called me mean or said he shouldn't be made fun of.

What's the difference here? Because we like what Burton is saying better?
I'm confused... would you not be levying this criticism had Burton divulged his source?

Old
12-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Salem13

2012 Steve Burton/Is he dumb, Part the Fifth

So ... other than the topic at hand, any more news on hockey?

Closed Thread