HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dek Hockey On Long Island

Old
08-09-2012, 10:13 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Dek Hockey On Long Island

Lets face it, anytime you can stand up and say you played hockey regardless of your age, your physical conditioning.... is a great day.

I am part of a Dek Hockey team that plays at Bethpage Sporttime. We are all a bunch of good guys in the 40 something age range. Some Isles fans, Some Rangers fans. We all just enjoy the game and have fun playing the game. We are losing some players and we are seeking new players to help us fill out the roster. Anyone who is interested should private message me here. As long as you are 18 or older, feel free to let us know. We have a goalie, so we need position players. If you play a position spot as well as goalie and can back-up if our current goalie can't make it, that's a plus!

Games are typically Monday or Wednesday evenings anywhere from 7pm to 11pm.

Mods: I checked with "10 Minute Misconduct" on this and he gave me the OK to post it. Please let me know if there is an issue.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Lets face it, anytime you can stand up and say you played hockey regardless of your age, your physical conditioning.... is a great day.

I am part of a Dek Hockey team that plays at Bethpage Sporttime. We are all a bunch of good guys in the 40 something age range. Some Isles fans, Some Rangers fans. We all just enjoy the game and have fun playing the game. We are losing some players and we are seeking new players to help us fill out the roster. Anyone who is interested should private message me here. As long as you are 18 or older, feel free to let us know. We have a goalie, so we need position players. If you play a position spot as well as goalie and can back-up if our current goalie can't make it, that's a plus!

Games are typically Monday or Wednesday evenings anywhere from 7pm to 11pm.

Mods: I checked with "10 Minute Misconduct" on this and he gave me the OK to post it. Please let me know if there is an issue.
I used to play roller hockey there. the place is nice. I would hope dek hockey is alot cheaper than there roller because that place is $$$.
I did play a few dek games there with a friends team a few years back. I would NEVER play there again. the guys we played VS were a bunch of hacks who just would swat at you. hack and slash. and refs did nothing just turn a blind eye.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:44 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I used to play roller hockey there. the place is nice. I would hope dek hockey is alot cheaper than there roller because that place is $$$.
I did play a few dek games there with a friends team a few years back. I would NEVER play there again. the guys we played VS were a bunch of hacks who just would swat at you. hack and slash. and refs did nothing just turn a blind eye.
The games we have played have been super clean.
No hacking, very little if any bumping. Games have been damn near penalty free other then an accidental trip.

Not sure if you played in a different group or not. We play in the "casual" group. Games are fun, most of the teams we play are older guys — so its that "less to prove" mentality. We really try to go out there and play and have fun. There is light bumping of course but its clean. In fact, one team was so nice, they invited us to come down to open games with them.

Fee for this past season was $165.00 for 10 game season plus playoffs.

I played roller there as well for a few seasons. It was fun, but it was also more expensive and you really need to be a decent skater to keep up. (I am not — so it was tough to keep up, and because you can't hit its hard to slow a guy down who's coming at you...)

It really is fun so contact me via pvt if you're up for it.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
No hacking, very little if any bumping. Games have been damn near penalty free other then an accidental trip.

Not sure if you played in a different group or not. We play in the "casual" group. Games are fun, most of the teams we play are older guys — so its that "less to prove" mentality. We really try to go out there and play and have fun. There is light bumping of course but its clean. In fact, one team was so nice, they invited us to come down to open games with them.

I played roller there as well for a few seasons. It was fun, but it was also more expensive and you really need to be a decent skater to keep up. (I am not — so it was tough to keep up, and because you can't hit its hard to slow a guy down who's coming at you...)

Ouch

Both Dek places I've played at (Nassau-Suffolk Dek and Rapid Fire Arena) were 130-140 a season. Granted, I hear Bethpage is really nice but I currently play at Rapid Fire which is a very nice place and a very clean league. Nassau-Suffolk, where I played most of my years, is a Coliseum-esque dump and has a lot of discipline problems in the leagues (I saw a bunch of fights in my 3 years there, haven't seen any at Rapid Fire).

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Fantom

Quote:

165 is more than a pay for roller. I play at World gym and its 140 10 games plus playoffs.
what team did u play roller on.
I played in the Rec league for dek.

Old
08-09-2012, 05:01 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
165 is more than a pay for roller. I play at World gym and its 140 10 games plus playoffs.
what team did u play roller on.
I played in the Rec league for dek.
Rapid Fire is way out in Moriches. Traveling from western Nassau here — that would be a really long, long trip... as it would be to come to Bethpage for those on the east end.

Played Rec for Roller — the Hawks.

Still — if anyone is interested — just private me.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Rapid Fire is way out in Moriches. Traveling from western Nassau here — that would be a really long, long trip... as it would be to come to Bethpage for those on the east end.

Played Rec for Roller — the Hawks.

Still — if anyone is interested — just private me.
never heard of rapid fire

Old
08-09-2012, 09:09 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Hey, just curious (ex-LIer), is the place in Farmingdale still there? Or has it been gone for 20 years or something?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Hey, just curious (ex-LIer), is the place in Farmingdale still there? Or has it been gone for 20 years or something?
the outdoor rink there ?

Old
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

i play at nassau-suffolk dek hockey and i love it. one of the best decisions i made in my life was signing up

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:38 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
the outdoor rink there ?
Yes, the outdoor rink in the commercial area. It opened in 1980 (was called "Olympic Dek Hockey" back then). It might've been the first dek hockey place on LI, but I'm not 100% sure of that....

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:29 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
i play at nassau-suffolk dek hockey and i love it. one of the best decisions i made in my life was signing up
Yes, it is still open but pretty much a dump. Don't get me wrong, I love it there and played for 3 years on some really great teams (won 3 championships) and had an awesome time. The owner is a really good guy as well, I feel bad that he owns the place because he clearly struggles with it financially (as far as I can tell). Some problems with that place though are:

1) The price is pretty much the same or close to other state of the art indoor Dek/Roller places on Long Island (Rapid Fire, Bethpage, exc.)

2) Considering it's outdoor, the weather is a factor in a lot of games. Any bit of perspiration in the air makes the floor extremely slippery and you fall A LOT unless you take short, choppy steps. Also, games often get cancelled because of rain or snow.

3) The biggest issue I had with that place was the lack of respect between players, for as many good people that played there there were just as many D-bags who seemed to just be looking to start fights and play dirty. The refs are also often very hesitant to punish someone who is clearly playing very dirty, they pretty much wait til' someone crosses the line before they do anything.

4) The rink is incredibly small, the boards are horrendous and create the weirdest bounces, the nets are old and being held together by tape. Also the material of the actual floor that is played on is strange, it's not like a real floor.

I'm very fond of my time at Nassau-Suffolk because I played on some great teams, learned the game of dek hockey there, and had some really fun times. But overall, I think you're better off spending your money elsewhere. I play at Rapid Fire Arena (which is closer to me, but not for Nassau people) now and I would never go back to Nassau-Suffolk for full seasons unless my old championship team was getting back together. I occasionally go there to sub for some games and it's always nice to go back, but it's truly a pleasure playing in a place that is indoor, has a rink literally twice the size, never any dirty play (2 full seasons and I haven't seen a single fight let alone something really dirty happen), has perfect boards, nice nets and a functioning scoreboard.

I'm not anti Nassau-Suffolk at all, I just think that your money is better spent at a new place where you really receive more bang for your buck like Bethpage or Rapid Fire.

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:42 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I know, I know, I'm a Rangers fan...

I play at Rapid Fire - decent league. My only complaints are the lack of online standings/stats and the delay at the beginning of every season in getting a schedule. Good mix of players/ages.

(Edit) There's also an outdoor "rink" at Red Creek Park in Hampton Bays. We practice there sometimes, but I never see anyone playing there.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:27 AM
QuadDeuces

Send a message via AIM to QuadDeuces
Quote:
never heard of rapid fire
lucky you. it's like playing hockey on a cheese grater

QuadDeuces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
NYI78

anybody know of any dek leagues in fairfield county ct?

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:07 PM
jjricco8

I'm looking for a skilled D-man for my dek team at The sports Arena in St. James. Season starts in January.

Last edited by jjricco8: 12-13-2012 at 02:25 PM.
jjricco8 is offline   Reply With Quote