HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Owen Nolan?

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Flat Stanley

vCash: 500
Owen Nolan?

Alright, so during the NHL Free Agent Frenzy broadcast, they reported that Owen Nolan is trying to return to the NHL, is there anymore news on that? We all know he isn't that premier power forward anymore, he's just a 39 year old former NHL player looking to return (like Jagr). I think he could add good leadership to an NHL team and could be a decent role player.

Any thoughts on where he might be going? My guess would be one of these teams.

- Organization's 1st overall selection in the 1990 NHL Draft, played there for 5-6 years. Can Also help out Duchene and Landeskog mature into great players.

- Spent the majority of his career in San Jose, he was their captain for awhile before getting traded to Toronto.

- With Antti Miettinen leaving for the KHL, I'm assuming that leaves a RW roster spot open. He can be a decent role player and he would return to the team he last played with before heading overseas.

- Can add veteran leadership to a young Oilers team, he can still be slightly effective and, along with Ryan Smyth might be able to help Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Taylor Hall mature into great young hockey players (like I said with the Avalanche)

Old
07-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

His days on the Wild are long over. Some of Minnesota's prospects are going to compete for their final roster spots.

Old
07-07-2011, 12:54 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs4853 View Post
- With Antti Miettinen leaving for the KHL, I'm assuming that leaves a RW roster spot open. He can be a decent role player and he would return to the team he last played with before heading overseas.
his bridge is burnt with this organization.

plus, we already have plenty of forwards...

Setoguchi - Koivu - Heatley
Latendresse - Brodziak - Bouchard
Gillies - Cullen - Clutterbuck
Powe/Nystrom - Nystrom/Powe - Kassian/Staubitz

Old
07-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Leafssss

Irish League.

Old
07-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Mhoogasian94123

There was a lot of talk toward the end of last season that the Sharks would attempt to get Nolan back in teal and black but I doubt he comes back. I would love to have him on the 3rd/4th line. He's still in pretty good shape but we will see. As long as the Ducks, Kings, or Canucks don't sign him I really don't care.

Old
07-07-2011, 12:57 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

His days in SJ is also over.

He had a meeting with Doug Wilson last year before the season started, and didn't get a job.

In SJ, it was speculated that the front office just doesn't like him. Why? I dunno. The speculation of Sharks fans is that he will clash with the current leadership and polarize the locker room, and they didn't need that with Thornton's first year as captain here.

Old
07-07-2011, 12:57 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Winnipeg is lacking some serious depth on the right side. He'd be a decent pick up and his asking price shouldn't be all that high.

I could get on board signing Nolan to a 1 year 2 million dollar contract.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:00 AM
hockeyball

He offered to play for the Sharks for league minimum and we still wouldn't give him a job. I don't think he's coming back.

He seems to really piss off organizations. I think sadly he's a locker room nightmare. I really wish that wasn't the case because I would love to have him back

Old
07-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Rickety Cricket

I figured his bridge was burnt in SJ, but what did he do in Minny?

Old
07-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Drury_Sakic

I think the best thing for him to do if he really wants to play this year is to sign on with one of the other leagues in North America and hit up NHL clubs in January when injuries have set in and he has proven he can still play.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:14 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

I did not ****ing know that Owen Nolan played in Switerland this year.

What. The. ****.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
his bridge is burnt with this organization.

plus, we already have plenty of forwards...

Setoguchi - Koivu- Heatley
Latendresse - Brodziak - Bouchard
Gillies - Cullen - Clutterbuck
Powe/Nystrom - Nystrom/Powe - Kassian/Staubitz
I know this has nothing to do with Owen Nolan, but the Wild will be a great team next year. Chuck Fletcher is doing a fantastic job bringing in great goal scorers and making the Wild a better team and a tougher team to play against. Mike Yeo is a great coach too, they both did great things for the Penguins organization a couple years ago, and now they're going to do the same thing in Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoogasian94123 View Post
There was a lot of talk toward the end of last season that the Sharks would attempt to get Nolan back in teal and black but I doubt he comes back. I would love to have him on the 3rd/4th line. He's still in pretty good shape but we will see. As long as the Ducks, Kings, or Canucks don't sign him I really don't care.
Hey, you never know. They might bring him back, trading Heatley and Setoguchi to the WIld, they need another forward. I know they got Havlat in return for Heatley but receiving a solid defenseman for a RW means there is a potential spot open, they could use him there.

And I know what you mean about the Ducks, Kings and Canucks. If he does that then to you it will be like what happened to us Pens fans last week when Jagr signed with the Flyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
His days in SJ is also over.

He had a meeting with Doug Wilson last year before the season started, and didn't get a job.

In SJ, it was speculated that the front office just doesn't like him. Why? I dunno. The speculation of Sharks fans is that he will clash with the current leadership and polarize the locker room, and they didn't need that with Thornton's first year as captain here.
Yeah I know, but I'm sure things are different now. Nolan is making an NHL return, I think he's looking for more of a role playing job and less of a star player job. I think he understands that it is Thorton's team. He could still add leadership but he would have to understand that he's not the #1 leader in the locker room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Winnipeg is lacking some serious depth on the right side. He'd be a decent pick up and his asking price shouldn't be all that high.

I could get on board signing Nolan to a 1 year 2 million dollar contract.
Yeah that wouldn't be a bad signing. Adds a little bit of past to a new franchise and it also adds RW depth, I could see it happening.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I hope he comes back. Nolan's a good leader. Nothing what he used to be, but he could help a team's bottom 6 out. It's too bad it likely won't be the Sharks. I would've liked to see him go back to San Jose.

Colorado could be a good fit I agree. Perhaps Winnipeg because they're low on RWs. Even Boston could be a fit since they lost Recchi to retirement but Nolan won't match Recchi's production that's for sure.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
I hope he comes back. Nolan's a good leader. Nothing what he used to be, but he could help a team's bottom 6 out. It's too bad it likely won't be the Sharks. I would've liked to see him go back to San Jose.

Colorado could be a good fit I agree. Perhaps Winnipeg because they're low on RWs. Even Boston could be a fit since they lost Recchi to retirement but Nolan won't match Recchi's production that's for sure.
I agree with you, and Boston is great suggestion, I didn't think of him going there but it could work. Yeah, you're right, he won't match Recchi's production but they could use him with Ryder and Recchi leaving. I know they have prospects ready to fill those spots too but it all depends on what the Bruins want to do, let Nolan help lead the team to a repeat attempt or leave that up job up to the rookies.

Maybe the Flyers would be a good fit

Old
07-07-2011, 01:29 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Nolan should go play for Belfast. You want to talk about a hot ticket...

Old
12-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Pascal85

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dayvan Cowboy View Post
I did not ****ing know that Owen Nolan played in Switerland this year.

What. The. ****.
He was.... but he could not prove that hes still able to play....after 5 Months the Zurich Lions kicked him out.... ssssooo.... i dont really see a NHL return....

Closed Thread