vCash: 500
waffles for dinner

Old
12-07-2012, 09:10 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
This is starting to remind me of that scene in Reservoir Dogs...that is too NSFW to post here in case somebody thinks I was just being lazy.
One of my favorite movies of all time. Chris Penn drives my first Cadillac in that movie. Same year, color and model, not a common one either....and then he dies.

As for restaurant tipping, I move the decimal over a spot and will round up or down the nearest buck for the tip, or give an extra buck or two if the server was kind and attentive. Or sometimes I'll round to make my total a to the nearest dollar, just cuz I like round numbers. Minimum $5

I've never been a waiter, but I did work at an ice cream joint typically running the show solo. Tips were awful for some reason. I could work 3-10 on a busier night and not even hit 10 bucks in tips. For that reason I always make it a point to tip the folks that serve my ice cream now.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:08 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Sitting at my desk at work. Waiting to be able to test our software version upgrade. No icon or menu option for the new version on my desktop, and no workstation record on my virtual machine. So I'm just waiting. On the plus side, my commute was only 17 minutes today.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:26 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Read that over 10,000 animals are put down in the USA alone daily. People need to seriously stop over breeding.

Wish I could have more but my dog is a territorial chow

Old
12-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
Sitting at my desk at work. Waiting to be able to test our software version upgrade. No icon or menu option for the new version on my desktop, and no workstation record on my virtual machine. So I'm just waiting. On the plus side, my commute was only 17 minutes today.
well that is no stinking fun!

good luck!

Old
12-08-2012, 07:35 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
One of my favorite movies of all time. Chris Penn drives my first Cadillac in that movie. Same year, color and model, not a common one either....and then he dies.

As for restaurant tipping, I move the decimal over a spot and will round up or down the nearest buck for the tip, or give an extra buck or two if the server was kind and attentive. Or sometimes I'll round to make my total a to the nearest dollar, just cuz I like round numbers. Minimum $5

I've never been a waiter, but I did work at an ice cream joint typically running the show solo. Tips were awful for some reason. I could work 3-10 on a busier night and not even hit 10 bucks in tips. For that reason I always make it a point to tip the folks that serve my ice cream now.
i don't believe in throwing money around just because someone replied to me and fulfilled a request.

i worked at fast food places. dunkin donuts and mcdonald's. never really thought i deserved a tip. i'm just doing my job, you know?

the same goes with waitresses/waiters. in theory, if my wife wants to order an appetizer, the tip goes up. that's fundamentally stupid. most service anymore is bare minimum "hi," "take your order?" "here's your food" "anything else"...what exactly am i tipping for? she's present and doing what she was hired for? i recognize that she has a ****** job. i generally tip between 10-15 percent, which earns me scowls from people who still work in the industry, who insist that the minimum is now "20-25%"! when did it go up! you're not doing anything to justify it either! and you're ignoring the fact that the tip itself is broken because its dependent on the total!

guess i'll just keep being a "cheap *******".

Old
12-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
i don't believe in throwing money around just because someone replied to me and fulfilled a request.

i worked at fast food places. dunkin donuts and mcdonald's. never really thought i deserved a tip. i'm just doing my job, you know?

the same goes with waitresses/waiters. in theory, if my wife wants to order an appetizer, the tip goes up. that's fundamentally stupid. most service anymore is bare minimum "hi," "take your order?" "here's your food" "anything else"...what exactly am i tipping for? she's present and doing what she was hired for? i recognize that she has a ****** job. i generally tip between 10-15 percent, which earns me scowls from people who still work in the industry, who insist that the minimum is now "20-25%"! when did it go up! you're not doing anything to justify it either! and you're ignoring the fact that the tip itself is broken because its dependent on the total!

People at fast food restaurants, Dunks, and McDonalds don't make $2.89/hr. They aren't rolling in the dough, but their hourly wages don't factor in a high volume of tips.

People at restaurants DO make $2.89/hr (or they did when I was working in them, assume it's gone up slightly). Their compensation is almost entirely dependent on tips...after taxes, their "paychecks" sometimes barely come out to $50. It's the way the industry works, like it or not. So yea...10 - 15% is cheap, and is worthy of scowls. If you don't like the system, don't go out to eat...but don't make your servers pay (ha...no pun intended) for that.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:13 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

it's why we don't very often.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:28 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
People at fast food restaurants, Dunks, and McDonalds don't make $2.89/hr. They aren't rolling in the dough, but their hourly wages don't factor in a high volume of tips.

People at restaurants DO make $2.89/hr (or they did when I was working in them, assume it's gone up slightly). Their compensation is almost entirely dependent on tips...after taxes, their "paychecks" sometimes barely come out to $50. It's the way the industry works, like it or not. So yea...10 - 15% is cheap, and is worthy of scowls. If you don't like the system, don't go out to eat...but don't make your servers pay (ha...no pun intended) for that.
I agree with Kate here , then again I am a notorious over-tipper... My haircut costs 15 bucks and a tip 10.... generally in restaurants I go 25-30% if the servers do what they need to do.... When places take out the 18% automatically I will leave more..

That being said I really don't have a problem with RT's system. He's not obligated to "make up the difference". I have worked like in that situation, my daughter as well, and you win some and lose some... I would not do it but who am I ?

Old
12-08-2012, 09:08 AM
duckchobbins

I guess the tip thing is really just a personal judgment thing. There's no reason for someone to pay more just because society tells him/her to do so. Yes, servers get paid garbage hourly wages, but it's not a surprise to them, they know it going into it. Some guests will tip over the average, and some will tip less. I imagine it evens out over the week. And let's face it, service has gone down the crapper in the last several years (and prob more), most likely because everyone just expects and accepts that tips should be a certain percentage. Who knows, maybe if more people took a hard stance like RT then maybe service quality would go up

Old
12-08-2012, 09:22 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i think that's my biggest problem with it. service is terrible at most places anymore.

i have no issue tipping 20+%, but the person is going to earn it. not by breaking rules or "hooking me up" or anything but by being good at their job.

what bothers me is that tipping is expected, it's expected to be at least 20%...and there are a dearth of people actually wanting to work for it. i guess it's a bit of circular reasoning.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Kovi

I'm getting my hair done at 12:30.
(when did I get so friggin gray?)

you know that moment RIGHT before you get it done and you are like....wow, I really like my hair today....

Old
12-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
I'm getting my hair done at 12:30.
(when did I get so friggin gray?)

you know that moment RIGHT before you get it done and you are like....wow, I really like my hair today....

Getting your hair done has to be the most relaxing feeling in the world just had mine done yesterday.

I am Boston Strong

Old
12-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
I left work early today to go to a bone marrow testing drive. An acquaintance from college has MDS and needs to find a donor, so there was a drive at his office. 2 friends from college and I went at the end of it, and I have to say....what a moving experience. I saw more people from college parading into that waiting room to fill out paperwork and get tested than I thought possible. Not even people who were super friendly with the person in need, word just spread that a classmate needed help and many, many people showed up.

Stuff like that restores my faith in humanity.
That's awesome as are you for going and doing what you can. How does a marrow drive work? Is it the same as a blood drive?

Old
12-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Getting your hair done has to be the most relaxing feeling in the world just had mine done yesterday.
I am so incredibly overdue. I've not wanted to spend the money. but now we are at DEFCON 1.....

Old
12-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
well that is no stinking fun!

good luck!
Thanks Kovi. In general, it went pretty smoothly. A couple of early hiccups, but after those got resolved, it went smoothly. Just a couple more pieces of post-upgrade build, then I get to go home. But now, it's pizza time!

Old
12-08-2012, 11:34 AM
EverettMike

When you go into a restaurant in America you know that the system of payment for your server is overwhelmingly tip dependent.

If you don't like that or don't agree with it that is fine, just don't go out to eat. Simple enough and no one has to be bothered by either having to tip or under-tipping.

You are breaking the social contract when you intentionally don't tip.

I am only talking about tipping in this specific case, being waited by a waiter or waitress at a restaurant.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:

This is all true Kate, but the tip IS also dependent upon getting good service. If you can't be bothered to come by once in a while and see if I need anything, or even just get me more freaking water, or you get my order wrong (and I don't ask for complicated changes), or are just plain surly, then don't complain when you get less than 20% for a tip. If a server is so dependent upon the tips, then they should provide service worthy of a good tip.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
When you go into a restaurant in America you know that the system of payment for your server is overwhelmingly tip dependent.

If you don't like that or don't agree with it that is fine, just don't go out to eat. Simple enough and no one has to be bothered by either having to tip or under-tipping.

You are breaking the social contract when you intentionally don't tip.

I am only talking about tipping in this specific case, being waited by a waiter or waitress at a restaurant.
It isn't a one way "social contract" though, and far too many servers act like it is.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:35 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Make it happen, US Government!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-2016/wlfKzFkN

Old
12-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
Thanks Kovi. In general, it went pretty smoothly. A couple of early hiccups, but after those got resolved, it went smoothly. Just a couple more pieces of post-upgrade build, then I get to go home. But now, it's pizza time!
you're going to Santarpios, arent you.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Kovi

dumb is just dumb

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mai...yaM/story.html

Old
12-08-2012, 01:23 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

social contracts, right?

Old
12-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
you're going to Santarpios, arent you.

Our CTO ordered it in, but I know it wasn't from Santarpios.

All set with everything now. Home for a nap...

Old
12-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
You see the dumb girl who robbed a bank, then bragged about it on a YouTube video. You're right, Dumb is DUMB!

Closed Thread