HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

NHL 12 Be a GM

Old
03-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Longshot

vCash: 500
NHL 12 Be a GM

Hey everybody. I've been searching around on the web for some information about the Be a GM mode in NHL 12.

I just finished my first season in Be a GM mode and am about to enter the off season, draft, free agent, etc. period of the game.

I started my GM mode in the off season in order to experience the draft, etc at the beginning of the season, but I wasn't aware of all the features in the game.

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping somebody can answer for me about the GM mode.

When I started my franchise it was the off season and I immediately participated in the draft, which was cool. Prior to buying NHL 12 I played NHL 10 in Be a GM mode for several seasons.

In NHL 10 after the draft my draft picks either played for my NHL team or they developed on my minor league team. However, in NHL 12 some of my draft picks were sent back to junior, a feature that I like. It's my understanding if you don't keep a junior eligible player on your NHL roster he is sent back to juniors to continue playing.

However, three of my picks ended up playing the entire season on my minor league team. All three players are still under 20 and I'm wondering why they weren't reassigned to their junior teams? At this point I'm assuming that these three players were drafted from college teams and thus, regardless of their age, they don't have a junior team to return to.

Is my assumption correct? Since I signed these three players to contracts after the draft they were assigned to my minor league team. I'm also assuming that if I hadn't rushed to sign them to contracts (I was thinking it was like NHL 10 and my picks would all be on the minor league roster) those players would have returned to college to continue playing until I signed them to pro contracts.

I'm hoping to get this figured out before my upcoming draft.

The other question I have concerns junior eligible players being kept on my roster for a period of time and then being sent back to junior.

I noticed other teams in the league returning players to the junior league during the season. I'm wondering how I can do this? I would love to play a few of my draft picks during the four preseason games just to take a look at them. I don't remember seeing an option to call up junior players during the preseason. I moved some of minor league players back and forth during the preseason, but didn't see an option to do the same with my junior eligible draft picks.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

Were they from Europe? I'm pretty sure I've had Europeans come and play immediately in the AHL after signing their ELC.

And the only way to send a player to juniors is to have a junior eligible player on the NHL roster during the season. It's just like sending someone to the AHL, but they go back to the CHL instead. And they should appear on the minor league part of roster moves for playing them in the pre-season.

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:02 AM
Petes2424

The further you go on (in years) the more random it gets. What is pretty standard though, if the player was drafted out of the CHL, they'll have at least ONE year in the CHL, sometimes two. Rarely will a player be CHL bound two years in a row after about 2020.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:29 AM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Dont sign prospects until there 20 unless you want them in the NHL or AHL.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Longshot

Thanks for the help everybody. I went through the draft and free agency periods last night and paid a lot more attention to what was happening.

I also reviewed the three prospects that played for my minor league team right out of the draft. Two of them were over 20, which makes sense. However, one was just 18 and played the entire season in the AHL. I didn't check his nationality. His name is Cam McDonald. I figured he was Canadian or American. But I know the EA NHL games can be weird with the names of players. I remember in NHL 10 drafting a guy named Adam Turner and his country of origin was Latvia. I'm going to check his nationality again this afternoon when I play.

I also figured out the whole "don't sign them until they're 20" thing. In my first season I had no idea players were sent back to junior and was busy signing them all after the draft. Then I barely had enough roster spots left to fill out my minor league team. I ended up trading some players for sixth round draft picks to open up roster spots to have the right balance of forwards and d-men. During the draft I hit the sixth round and had four or five picks.

I also realized that if you sign an under 20 junior player you can call him up to play for you team. I'm going to play a couple of my prospects that I signed last year in my pre-season games. You just call them up to your roster like you would with any other player. The catch is, they either play for the NHL team or they are sent back to junior. There is a symbol next to their name that indicates if they are a junior eligible player or an AHL player.

I'm assuming, just like in real life, there is a limited window on how long you can keep them on your roster and still be able to send them back to junior. I think in real life after 10 games a junior player on your roster has to stay the rest of the season.

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Preseason is just 100% show, players dont make the team thru it or anything. I just sim my normal roster past those games.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:36 PM
TheEdge27

Does BAGM mode ever end? Or does it keep going as long as you stay with a team? Or do you just take control of the new team you sign with? Im 11 or 12 years in now with the same team.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
Does BAGM mode ever end? Or does it keep going as long as you stay with a team? Or do you just take control of the new team you sign with? Im 11 or 12 years in now with the same team.
It goes for 25 years.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:14 PM
SensontheRush
Rik Rondra

Does anyone have tips and tricks for scouting? I feel like I'm doing it all wrong.

SensontheRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Orange Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensontheRush View Post
Does anyone have tips and tricks for scouting? I feel like I'm doing it all wrong.
I would scout the area of a player you want for, say, 6-8 weeks. Myself, I don't normally scout a player, unless he has a unique attribute or he is a franchise player. I used to scout alot, now not so much. If you upgrade your amateur scout enough, you can get lots of info about a player you want if you scout him alot.

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps!

Also, check scouting rankings every September 17th if you want to see the top guys' projections, and to see if there is a franchise player.

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensontheRush View Post
I usually scout the leagues with the most players a month to six weeks at a time. The CHL is always the first league I look to. Then I focus on the US, Russia, and if they're worth scouting Sweden and Finland.

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:34 AM
Aplayaz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Preseason is just 100% show, players dont make the team thru it or anything. I just sim my normal roster past those games.
lol what are u talking about

you're the manager therefore you decide if the newbie will make it

via play with him and see if you like him enough to keep him on the team

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote