HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Thread X: The Leadership Has Left the Building

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 06:50 PM
CN_paladin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
It's peanuts compared to what they've lost.

$10,000 to all 730 players?
7 300 000 isn't that much but it may appease some marginal players short on cash.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:53 PM
scythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I highly doubt Jacobs will give the moderates any chance of establishing ground in this negotiation. Either he's involved or this doesn't fly.
"Why are they chasing Jacobs away from the CBA talks?"

"Because he's the hero the NHL deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight."

Old
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
What the bleep?

More fodder for the players to stay in their delusional fantasy land on this lockout.

But hey they have already cost themselves at least a billion. Still Unreal.
It's a lockout, not a strike. The owners could restart the season immediately if they decided to be reasonable and actually negotiate. They still haven't even bothered to offer a counter proposal to the PA's last offer.

No matter how many times people try to spin the notion that the PA not caving into every one of the leagues demands means they are now responsible for the lockout, it still will never be true.

Old
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
They have to answer by today and if they don't I'd pull Make Whole off the table.
That's a lot much. Do that and this season is dead. Over not answering a query? Come on.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
That's a lot much. Do that and this season is dead. Over not answering a query? Come on.
It's not the first time the NHLPA has run the clock. Isn't there a NHL BoG meeting soon?

Old
12-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
The PA has many members, they can't give a snap response to anything like that. Anyway, this whole thing's a mess and I wouldn't expect anything out of a player-owner meeting but more hurt feelings, so there's no reason to hope for something tangible to come of it anyway.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:02 PM
mike14

there no reasonable excuse why it should take this long to say 'yes or no' to a meeting.

No-one's saying that you have to go there and agree to anything, but turn up and have a chat instead of this procrastinating crap

Old
12-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Really wish the players weren't getting that money
It's their money, they've been building a war chest.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
It's their money, they've been building a war chest.
Guess that shows their true intentions then.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:06 PM
txomisc

The PA is probably legitimately scared that the owners would make alot of sense to the players in such a meeting. They probably really want to refuse such a meeting but know the backlash would be ugly in the court of public opinion.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Puckstopper

Quote:
It's not the first time the NHLPA has run the clock. Isn't there a NHL BoG meeting soon?
Dec 5th I think. Would be interesting for the NHLPA to propose a meeting that coincides with the BOG meeting. They could say, sure we'll agree to meet, but only if all 30 owners are there.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:07 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Nothing sums up this travesty of a situation more than Bettman suggesting a players-owners meeting and over 50 hours later there's still no answer.
I am with you, two sides, hellbent on destroying the game

Old
12-01-2012, 07:08 PM
MVP of West Hollywd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Nothing sums up this travesty of a situation more than Bettman suggesting a players-owners meeting and over 50 hours later there's still no answer.

Pretty much

Old
12-01-2012, 07:09 PM
NickyMaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
The PA is probably legitimately scared that the owners would make alot of sense to the players in such a meeting. They probably really want to refuse such a meeting but know the backlash would be ugly in the court of public opinion.
Exactly, if the players are really as united and informed as the PA claims they should have nothing to fear. All this stalling makes it seem like the PA is scared of letting the players go out without 'adult supervision'.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
“I think it’s funny we have Don Fehr on our side. After two years, he seems to get under the owners’ skin."
jordan leopold in an interview. yeah, don fehr, hilarious.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:13 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Guess that shows their true intentions then.
Both sides have done this, it's standard operating practices for both the league and the PA.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
jordan leopold in an interview. yeah, don fehr, hilarious.
link?

Old
12-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Good for the players! Like Fehr said, if the NHL simply will not negotiate then the only step is decertification or legal alternatives. I respect the NHLPA for taking this as far as it will go to prove their point.

As a relative noob at HF Boards one thing I've never heard much about is the bad blood between Bettman/the owners vs. the players (although I did know the fans hated Bettman ). It's boiling over now.

As a fellow ice hockey player I must side with the players. You dedicate your life, playing AAA hockey your entire adolescence, to Juniors, Pro, to the big time, all to give HALF your deserved reward to a group of pathetic, sickly (yet filthy rich) sociopaths who want to call you cattle? It's like I grow a crop of mangoes and because some business man can distribute them effectively he gets 50% of my product? No way bro. I'll burn down the entire orchard to prove a point that money is nothing and you'll get none of my services.

The owners can't stand in a hockey players boots for one second. I can't believe they would underestimate a group of players as hardcore and insane as NHL players are. It's THEIR game. THEY are what makes the NHL. I am so proud they are not backing down. I respect and admire the players now so much more than before this lockout. Yea I miss watching them play as we all do but I trust in whatever makes these guys satisfied enough to suit up again.

What if that guy owned the orchard, paid for the water, the fertilizer, the guys who picked the fruit and the entire distribution network, covered all the costs and then gave you half just for polishing the fruit?? Your comments are ridiculous. If it were not for the owners i just bet these guys would play for free, right? Cause it's their game. They are so good at it. I bet they certainly would not put in all that time if they did not think there was a chance they could get paid millions for all those hours.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:19 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

This entire process is beyond sane at this point. Everyone on both sides is so far out of touch with reality that there is no doubt in my mind the season is done. And o top of it, neither side realizes what that is going to do to it's fan base and the expected revenue stream they're fighting over. This money is coming from us fans. Basically all of it. The NHL has a crappy little tv deal that nets the teams no money, so te only money made comes from us fans. Screw the players and the owners. What league does this after every cba. What group thinks losing games and crapping all over your revenue stream(us fans) is a wise choice? Who thinks that getting what you want a the cost of losing fans forever is a "huge win"?
Pathetic. Both sides.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:19 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
link?
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sab...eeting-owners/

Old
12-01-2012, 07:20 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
link?
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sab...eeting-owners/

Old
12-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 116
Jordan Leopold: "I think it’s funny we have Don Fehr on our side. After two years, he seems to get under the owners’ skin."

Tihi.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Do you guys forget that Bain Capital wanted to buy the ENTIRE NHL when it was doing much worse than it is now? How the heck did the Phoenix Coyotes just get sold? Have you guys thought this one through?

If he had said "it's easier to replace 700 players with absolute junk than it is to replace 30 owners" then sure, I'd agree with that. I'd also follow up by saying that I'd rather watch grass grow than whatever the "new NHL" would be.

Are you kidding me? I'm not sure how the NHL would legally be allowed to sign new players, but I assume it'd be post-nuclear destruction for the league. If you are under the impression that Canadian kids would be siding against Sidney Crosby and Jarome Iginla, then you have lost your damn mind. The NHLPA along with the Habs, Leafs, Sens, Rags, etc. would have a new league up and running asap, and you can bet those kids would want to be there. Believe me, the owners want nothing to do with a long war against the players, at least the ones who have a clue about the way Canada feels about its sport and its heroes. Not that the players want it either, but it's not like there won't be a hockey league for them to play in, in North America. Owners, on the other hand, for the most part could be left with nothing but their you-know-what in their hand. Regardless, this will never happen, as neither side wants it, but don't get it twisted.

I'm really trying to understand what line of logic you're using to find that contradictory? Really? Just because hockey players aren't as rich as owners, doesn't make them easier to replace. They are the top 700, in their field, in the whole world. Here, put it this way, any multimillionaire can qualify as an NHL owner or part-owner, 0.00046% of hockey players in the world can qualify as an NHL player.

I think the problem here is that you are looking at it from your own selfish point of view and trying to pretend that you know what's best for the players. There's obviously something very wrong going on in these "negotiations" for us to still be here talking about a lockout. There seems to be a lack of respect for the players and even the non-BOG teams, that is what I allude to as the lack of "partnership".

The players, in their first proposals, agreed to 50/50 split immediately on the condition that the contracts they signed less than 90 days ago be honored. Now I'd like for you to tell me why the players who have a contract NEED for it to be rolled back for a deal to be done? Was the league about to go bankrupt? They couldn't have survived another 2 years or so with increased revenue sharing and with a great big light at the end of the tunnel being that 50/50 split? I think it's totally fair that way and if anything a slight rollback so as to lessen the blow for the players without contracts. The top half of the league,at least, shouldn't see an extra penny because of this lockout. Is that the case in the owners proposals? Honest question.
TBH there is too much wrong with this post to even address.

If you wanna live in a fantasy land where the Canadian teams magically leave the NHL and start their own league where every Canadian player plays in, then there's not much logic is going to do.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
They have to answer by today and if they don't I'd pull Make Whole off the table.
It's coming. Make Whole was for a full season and was a pretty great deal once the owners agreed to pay it, at this point there isn't going to be enough season to justify 211M in Make Whole, let alone an additional 182M lol.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 1010
Sometime in the future...

Don Fehr: There you are boys. Just like I promised. The NHL owners will never push you around again. Ever!

Players: But Donny, the NHL is gone forever.

Don Fehr: That's right. And your days of suffering are over. Mission accomplished. Now don't forget some of you have a forklift driving lesson at 2pm. Don't be late.

Closed Thread