HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXV - I'll see you in court!

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 07:19 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
They had 7 ****ing years to negotiate

Why should we be surprised they started negotiations just 2 months before it was set to expire?

Everything this league does is a joke

I hope when this circus eventually does come back to playing, everything suffers from attendance to league revenue
It's like Marty said, the Canadian teams will be fine, but the American teams are really gonna feel the impact of another lockout.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:20 PM
goalvalchuk17

do bettman/fehr even watch hockey? ffs im sick of these people who want more and more money but are multi millionaires even if they get the worst deal offered control one of the favorite parts of my life. without giving the people who give them money any say in this process. remember how the nfl ref lockout ended when there was a horrible call and fans called in pissed? me too. no matter what we do we have no say here.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:20 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Aside from the reason this lockout started in the first place, you know what makes this lockout even stupider than the last two? The fact that they've been talking for months now. Not constantly, but there's been a lot of talks. In 04 we're just having the first meetings right now I think, and nothing has happened since the expiration of the CBA. Which was mid September, the same as this year.

There has been a lot of PR ******** during this lockout, and it's a bigger joke than last time for that alone. Forget the reasons it even started in the first place.
And over nothing...some frigging insurance money and CBA length. 'The hill we die on?' Please. And the PA can go **** off too, probably they were shifting the goalposts and that's why the tweets were so wildly all over the map, cause their negotiating was all over the map.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:24 PM
goalvalchuk17

bettman says his date to start was october 11th. oh really? the owners locked out the players and if he thinks this could've been solved by then he doesn't understand how the nhl works. stop lying gary.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:25 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

The one thing that's really infuriating me is that they really are close.
The right pieces are in place to get something done, it's all a matter of adjusting the numbers to make everyone happy.

But, no, they want to dick around over the numbers and posture over semantics. And simple compromising. And apparently, appropriate levels of gratitude.

K. Cool. Cya.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:30 PM
goalvalchuk17

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
The one thing that's really infuriating me is that they really are close.
The right pieces are in place to get something done, it's all a matter of adjusting the numbers to make everyone happy.

But, no, they want to dick around over the numbers and posture over semantics. And simple compromising. And apparently, appropriate levels of gratitude.

K. Cool. Cya.
i wouldn't say they are close. if make whole is off the table like bettman says(i know it may not be) that's huge.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:32 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalvalchuk17 View Post
i wouldn't say they are close. if make whole is off the table like bettman says(i know it may not be) that's huge.
Prior to that being taken off the table, I mean.
They're a lot closer than the league is willing to admit.

Close enough to compromise.
Close enough to find a middle ground to at least try and work towards.

They are not far enough to justify walking out in hissy fits at this point.
Not far enough to derail talks indefinitely.

Everybody is now holding all the right pieces, it's just putting them together in the right way.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalvalchuk17 View Post
bettman says his date to start was october 11th. oh really? the owners locked out the players and if he thinks this could've been solved by then he doesn't understand how the nhl works. stop lying gary.
NHL has been trying to get NHL to talk CBA since last January

It was Fehr and NHLPA that refused to hear it until end of summer

Old
12-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

This is what I think. 48 games or no season. If a deal is to be made, it will be made in time to play 48 games, and no earlier. That leaves us by mid January. Maybe second week of January a deal will have to be made.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:47 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
NHL has been trying to get NHL to talk CBA since last January

It was Fehr and NHLPA that refused to hear it until end of summer
Can you imagine what a disaster mid-season negotiations would be though?
Especially if they're this venomous?

Pitting players, especially franchise players, up against the guys who sign their paychecks could definitely affect on ice play.

I hate that it comes down to the wire, but I can only imagine what it would have been like otherwise.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Fayne Staley
Salvador *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
This is what I think. 48 games or no season. If a deal is to be made, it will be made in time to play 48 games, and no earlier. That leaves us by mid January. Maybe second week of January a deal will have to be made.
Bettman confirmed 48 games was the cut off.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:52 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Hiemer View Post
Which means mid-January since it went down to the wire in '94-95 too and that ended on the 11th with the season beginning on the 20th. At least I can ignore this crap until the New Year, hope everyone has a good Christmas

Old
12-06-2012, 07:52 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Can you imagine what a disaster mid-season negotiations would be though?
Especially if they're this venomous?

Pitting players, especially franchise players, up against the guys who sign their paychecks could definitely affect on ice play.

I hate that it comes down to the wire, but I can only imagine what it would have been like otherwise.
Good point, but they still could have all done negotiations in the offseason. Obviously that was never going to happen either, for the same reason pending UFA's don't sign deals when they're that close to FA.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:58 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvBroDan View Post
I have never seen a leader as moronic as Bettman and as stupid as the players. YOUR KILLING YOUR LIVELY HOOD PLAYERS and YOUR KILLING YOUR BUSINESS OWNERS. Very Dumb
Or saving it. The NHL has numerous member clubs that aren't financially healthy.

I'd argue the "business owners" killed their business in the last contract when they gave the players way too much.

Quote:
Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector
Bettman blames union for shifting priority from Make Whole to contracting to pensions.
Wait, did this really happen?

If so, that's good news, it means they're close to a deal. The last minute bait-and-switch mafia extortion tactic is a classic Union maneuver.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Hiemer View Post
Yup, and that's exactly why I think it will go that long. All the way to the point where we're able to play 48 games. Going by 95 I think the season started January 20th or 22nd or something. And the deal was made on the 11th, or 13th of January. Somewhere around there.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:02 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

I do find it amusing they lifted the million-dollar fine for the owners talking about the lockout long enough for Burkle and especially Tannenbaum to take shots at Fehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
If so, that's good news, it means they're close to a deal. The last minute bait-and-switch mafia extortion tactic is a classic Union maneuver.
Eh they basically tried the same tactic the NHL did in 2004 when the NHLPA gave a 24% rollback and the NHL took that and incorporated it with a cap. Which proves that this lockout is about getting payback for the players and not about making a fair deal, or any deal. They were more interested in turning the owners' past negotiating tactics on them, and uncle Gary didn't like that very much.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:04 PM
manilaNJ

The timeline would make sense.

Some more huffing and puffing til next week.
Followed by halfassed attempts at talking to each other again that get off to a bumpy start.
Followed by some Christmas good will.
Owners will graciously put Make Whole back on the table, players will graciously come down a year or two on contract limits.
Last few remaining details get settled.
Training camp.

All that probably puts us until Mid-January.
But my hopes aren't getting pulled up off the floor at this point.

Adding:
This... is interesting.
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Ron Hainsey says the NHL told players last night that bringing Don Fehr back into the room was potentially "a deal-breaker."

Last edited by manilaNJ: 12-06-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 08:11 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

**** the PA.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Scottie Upshall ‏@ScottieUpshall

There's no pressure yet on the owners to lose this year, that's why they still treat us like Cattle. They'll need a partner come January.
Man I wish I was cattle!

Old
12-06-2012, 08:18 PM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Le sigh.......

Old
12-06-2012, 08:19 PM
VaxjoDevil

Seriously, some players need an angry Chris Christie to straighten them up. Treated like cattle, yeah...

And I know it's an allusion to the Detroit owner's comment, but still.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:21 PM
goalvalchuk17

decertification is not a good idea right now. they aren't close enough to make a deal in a couple of days, but close enough that they can make a deal within a month or so. decertification will pretty much end the season, so screw that.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:24 PM
apice3*

I still think they're a lot closer than both sides are making it out to be. I don't think it's a good idea for either side to whine about the other. That's just going to make each side want their egos stroked even more.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:36 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
This... is interesting.
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Ron Hainsey says the NHL told players last night that bringing Don Fehr back into the room was potentially "a deal-breaker."
Well everyone who said this whole owner-player powwow wasn't a good idea and potentially a trap was right. The league has been trying to negotiate around Don since October when they had that 72-hour window for players to call owners and get info on the deal. It is a bit desperate to admit having the union head in the room is a deal-breaker. You can't expect a union to realistically negotiate without its head, Steve or no Steve.

The owners orchestrated the PR trap brilliantly, getting Fehr to play his little games in front of moderates who are now hard-liners themselves and firmly in Bettman's camp.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:37 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

this "twitter" thing didnt exist the last lockout.

its amazing how much has happened in that time that has turned the whole thing into a right ****show. not just the nhl talks, .....people in general that 'live in a pseudo 15 minutes of fame in their own minds perpetually"

signed,

F. me

Closed Thread